Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

Gotta be honest, your flavor argument is even lamer than sandwolf's meta arguments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

DGK2000 posted:

And there hasn't been a gnawing since night talking so I suspect it's one or the other. Or maybe he needs to recharge it with "nightmares" which are the talking, since night hags in history were nightmares. And sleep paralysis.

Only night we didn't have night talking was N1 so far, but that was his first opportunity to trigger night talking for the next night? So since we could talk N2 that means his N1 action was to trigger talking the next night, not killing someone?

Or do you think that choosing to let people talk at night is actually a daytime action?

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

I bet Squiggly is a scum miller godfather bulletproof gunsmith

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky

Sub Rosa posted:

Only night we didn't have night talking was N1 so far, but that was his first opportunity to trigger night talking for the next night? So since we could talk N2 that means his N1 action was to trigger talking the next night, not killing someone?

Or do you think that choosing to let people talk at night is actually a daytime action?

I think it's either not his choice and it happens automatically, or it's an action he has to trigger during the day.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

CapnAndy posted:

Your night actions have done harm to the town by preventing my actions, which I assure you are helpful.

Also how about any of the other points i made? You couldn't even gloss over those with a false equivalence.
If I was a strongman voodoo couldn't have stopped me and if I'm a ninja a watcher would see me target no one, which is inherently suspicious given that I've said my night action targets. C'mon, I expect this level of thoughtlessness out of voodo, but you're better than that.

In conclusion

Sorry I’m not swayed by your assurance that you are town and your power will help us. If only everyone who was town would make the same assurance we would have this game won. Like how do you make that argument in good faith to someone who has called you scum.

You also keep quoting the maigius stuff like you caught me in some lie. I don’t think maigius is scum, you do. But I’m also willing to throw out a possible reason how, if he was scum, he could fake an action or try to bluff results. Me comment about he could know what his scumbuds did re merk was a sarcastic way to disprove your argument that maigius could not be faking results. It was to call you scum for defending someone you thought was scum.

Andy I’m not responding to you anymore. You are either completely disingenuous in how you read my posts or you are so in your head that you can’t see how anyone can see you’re actions and responses as scummy or even acknowledge your own contradictions.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Voodoofly posted:

Sorry I’m not swayed by your assurance that you are town and your power will help us. If only everyone who was town would make the same assurance we would have this game won. Like how do you make that argument in good faith to someone who has called you scum.
Because I was pretending you were acting in good faith and could be swayed by argument. Mostly, I'll admit, to prove to everyone else that you're not. Thank you for the assistance.

quote:

You also keep quoting the maigius stuff like you caught me in some lie. I don’t think maigius is scum, you do. But I’m also willing to throw out a possible reason how, if he was scum, he could fake an action or try to bluff results. Me comment about he could know what his scumbuds did re merk was a sarcastic way to disprove your argument that maigius could not be faking results. It was to call you scum for defending someone you thought was scum.
Neat lies! Here's the actual conversation, with nothing added or deleted:

Voodoofly posted:

Actually there is one big difference: you don't need to actually know who they are if they out themselves.

No offense now I want you to say it before them so we can verify it.

CapnAndy posted:

...this is nonsense, are you suggesting he outed merk correctly by guessing

Voodoofly posted:

you aren't this dumb

When I'm scum I usually know what my scum team did.
You said maigius was lying about his power, I said "then how'd he call out merk", you said "because he's scumbuddies with him". You were being neither sarcastic nor speaking hypothetically.

quote:

Andy I’m not responding to you anymore. You are either completely disingenuous in how you read my posts or you are so in your head that you can’t see how anyone can see you’re actions and responses as scummy or even acknowledge your own contradictions.
Oh, oh

that poor glass house

voodoo why would you throw stones at it, it's your house

In conclusion

Voodoofly posted:

you aren't this dumb

Voodoofly posted:

I don't think Maigius is scum

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

You caught me Andy bravo.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Voodoofly posted:

Andy I’m not responding to you anymore.

Voodoofly posted:

Vote all liars

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Oops sorry I forgot, also

In conclusion

Voodoofly posted:

you aren't this dumb

Voodoofly posted:

I don't think Maigius is scum

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Also also

Voodoofly posted:

This is more of a scumclaim than I ever made and I got hounded for mine so maybe y'know

someone else take a look at this guy

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

You want to call a Twilight truce, because at this point I really am starting to think you really believe 100% of what you are saying and you just don't see at all why I find it scummy. Despite what you think I'm not just trying to go after you for no reason, I really think some of the statements you've made are really off throughout the game. I'm now just trying to determine if they are scummy or just a complete different viewpoint.

Let's just take Maigius. You spent all twilight N2 saying he was still scum despite the merk flip. Cool, I don't agree with you but that isn't scummy in the slightest if you believe it. But then:

1. Maigius says "I'm giving whoever robbed that claim XX hours to come forward"

2. I say if he is going to out him regardless there isn't any difference between him just saying it now or letting someone else claim.

3. I immediately post after saying "wait, there is a difference in that it allows you to fake knowing who did it N2"

4. You then come in and say "what do you mean, you think he just guessed merk did it N1" insinuating that there isn't any way he might be lying about seeing N2, or might have known it was merk for some other reason.

In my mind, if I'm suspicious of someone there is NO WAY I give them that sort of latitude. I don't think he is scummy but I don't want to give him any latitude. There are multiple ways that he could fake a claim (see below) and I don't want to provide him those options and it BLOWS MY MIND that you, after saying how much you still find him scummy, aren't immediately suspicious as well. This is when I go back to quote all those posts and vote you.

5. I make the remark you keep quoting saying that one way he could know is if he was scum buddies with merk. I was being a jerk here because I was just pointing out the most obvious way a player could know someone else's night actions without using their role, and I still don't understand why I would have to say that. [I'm also sorry I said the thing about you being this dumb - I'm sure I've said it way too many times. I don't think you are dumb, I know you aren't just from playing with you off and on all these years]

6. We go back and forth at each other ad nauseum.

So, let me go back and redo that jerk post I made and see if you can see where I'm coming from:

nicer me posted:

There are many ways he could fake a night action Andy:

1. He could have been scum buddies with merk, and knew what merk did.
2. He could have performed his action night 1, and killed someone night 2, and wants someone to come forward and claim to provide him cover.
3. He could be on some different team that has a rolecop. Maybe they rolecop merk night 1 and, as he is facing the gavel, he takes an educated guess. This is something I do ALL THE TIME as scum. I did it in Good Place that we both were in when I knew Tom Tucker was a doctor from a scum buddies rolecop so I claimed that I saw "someone" target a cop that I didn't want to reveal, hoping he would assume I was talking about him. He confirmed it worked later on in dead chat. It was a guess but it was worth a shot.
4. Plenty of other things I'm probably not thinking about.

I have no idea if Maigius is doing any of those things. I believe him right now but why would I let him possibly pull a gambit when instead he can claim.

Furthermore, since you spent all night calling him scum I do not understand why you don't IMMEDIATELY think the same thing and, instead of questioning me about it, turn your guns full force on the person you yelled all night about being scummy

Does that help? That is why I think your response to me was scummy. It's why I voted you again. For what it's worth I hadn't voted you D3 until then because yes I did jail you twice and kills went through and I figured "maybe I'm just to focused on you." It was your complete lack of cynicism on Maigius, someone you found scummy, that I found scummy.

It's the same thing with Spoonsy: if I think spoonsy is scummy or "suspicious" or whatever there is no way I assume his vote charade makes him town and I can't understand how anyone else would feel the same. The fact that you just gave up and moved along looks crazy to me as a townie who is suspicious of someone.

It's the same thing with you thinking (1) Voodoo knows Andy didn't make a kill 2 nights in a row, if he votes him it's because he is scummy WHILE (2) Andy knows Voodoo didn't make a kill two nights in a row but YOU ARE VOTING ME ANYWAY. It's just such a huge contradiction in thought that it makes no sense to me - if you think not doing a kill 2 nights in a row clears someone why wouldn't it clear both of us? Again, for the record, I do NOT think either of us should be cleared because you were in my jail and I was jailing you while kills are happening.

LONG STORY SHORT: I'm at the point I think I just don't understand how you look at people when you play this game. I'm willing to back off at this point. Your actions have been so consistently "whatever" that I don't know if I can actually call them scummy anymore. They just make no sense to me. I'm sure you feel the same way about me as well.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Voodoo, please jail someone else, so we can see if jailing has affects the NKs.

Continuing to Jail Andy may be having a pro-town effect, or it may not, we can’t tell. But what it definitely isn’t doing is giving the town any information.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

DGK2000 posted:

Squiggly, since Night Hags are malevolent creatures in mythology and every RPG ever. Also, just letting night talking happen and vanilla? That's hard to believe given literally every claim.

Despite squiggly’s protestation, I actually don’t mind this flavour argument.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Quiet night this time around

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

HEY BAD GUYS, THIS IS THE VICE PRESIDENT, PLEASE DON'T KILL HIM!

Mr. Humalong posted:

Too quiet

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Voodoofly posted:

You want to call a Twilight truce
A truce in general would be nice. I don't need you back on my rear end tomorrow or to spend the game jailed, thank you very much. If you're down for that, sure, let's talk.

quote:

, because at this point I really am starting to think you really believe 100% of what you are saying and you just don't see at all why I find it scummy. Despite what you think I'm not just trying to go after you for no reason, I really think some of the statements you've made are really off throughout the game. I'm now just trying to determine if they are scummy or just a complete different viewpoint.
Well, loving likewise. I'm glad to go through them with you as many times as it takes, though.

quote:

Let's just take Maigius. You spent all twilight N2 saying he was still scum despite the merk flip. Cool, I don't agree with you but that isn't scummy in the slightest if you believe it. But then:

2. I say if he is going to out him regardless there isn't any difference between him just saying it now or letting someone else claim.

3. I immediately post after saying "wait, there is a difference in that it allows you to fake knowing who did it N2"

4. You then come in and say "what do you mean, you think he just guessed merk did it N1" insinuating that there isn't any way he might be lying about seeing N2, or might have known it was merk for some other reason.

In my mind, if I'm suspicious of someone there is NO WAY I give them that sort of latitude. I don't think he is scummy but I don't want to give him any latitude. There are multiple ways that he could fake a claim (see below) and I don't want to provide him those options and it BLOWS MY MIND that you, after saying how much you still find him scummy, aren't immediately suspicious as well. This is when I go back to quote all those posts and vote you.

5. I make the remark you keep quoting saying that one way he could know is if he was scum buddies with merk. I was being a jerk here because I was just pointing out the most obvious way a player could know someone else's night actions without using their role, and I still don't understand why I would have to say that. [I'm also sorry I said the thing about you being this dumb - I'm sure I've said it way too many times. I don't think you are dumb, I know you aren't just from playing with you off and on all these years]

6. We go back and forth at each other ad nauseum.

So, let me go back and redo that jerk post I made and see if you can see where I'm coming from:

Does that help? That is why I think your response to me was scummy. It's why I voted you again. For what it's worth I hadn't voted you D3 until then because yes I did jail you twice and kills went through and I figured "maybe I'm just to focused on you." It was your complete lack of cynicism on Maigius, someone you found scummy, that I found scummy.
Okay, now let me tell you that conversation from my viewpoint:

3. I immediately point out that there is a difference, and it's sizeable: all whoever disturbed the grave has to do is wait for maigius to name him or her and then say "no I didn't" and it would immediately kick up a ton of dirt. This would work precisely because maigius acted so sketchy on the previous day. By forcing them to come forward first, we actually get a much more believable result, because if the person maigius saw is lying, why'd they come forward without being named, and maigius can hardly now choose to lie and say "no you're not who I saw", then again, why'd they come forward?

4. You utterly ignore this.

5. You cast doubt that maigius has a gravewatching ability at all.

6. I point out that that's the one thing about maigius that is not in doubt, as he caught merk with it, who flipped as a grave robber.

7. You say that maigius and merk are scumbuddies.

8. I point out that that is a completely unreasonable assumption; there's no believable story you or anyone else could spin to explain why maigius decided to expose his scumbuddy when he could have named anyone else. (And no, there's not: if he names a townie, they get voted, and he's proven a liar and voted in turn, then the scum trade one of theirs for a townie, which is still better than what they got, which is one of theirs for nothing and maigius still not looking particularly great. And that's the worst case scenario if he'd done that.)

9. You call me scum again.

As for your much more reasonable post; yeah, that's much more reasonable. It's also several real life days later with a lot of thought put into it and tons of nuance that aren't even hinted at in your original post. And it still doesn't address the fundamental contradiction that I keep hammering you with; if you think maigius isn't scum, then you believe him, so why are you doubting his abilities at all, let alone calling him scumbuddies with merk or bringing up all the myriad hypotheticals you did in your reasonable post? As you so astutely point out, I'm the one who doubts him. Why did you say his results needed verifying? Why are you bringing up all these ways he could be lying scum? Is he town or not?

Now, on to me. Call me on it if I'm wrong, but your case on me in this instance is: if I don't trust maigius, how come I trust his results? To which I reply, this is why I keep going on about spectrums. Maigius having a gravewatching ability is proven fact. He caught merk with it. As far as I'm concerned, merk flipping put two things beyond question: maigius has a gravewatching ability, and maigius and merk are not scumbuddies. It may be instructive to note that neither of these are contradictory with the belief that maigius is scum; as I've also noted several times, I believe there are multiple scum groups. "Isn't in the magi-tech cult" =/= "Isn't scum".

Also, for the record, I'm trusting maigius more and more. He behaved much better on D3. Changing my mind based on new evidence and behavior over the course of further days is something I'm allowed to do and is, if I'm not mistaken, good play.

quote:

It's the same thing with Spoonsy: if I think spoonsy is scummy or "suspicious" or whatever there is no way I assume his vote charade makes him town and I can't understand how anyone else would feel the same. The fact that you just gave up and moved along looks crazy to me as a townie who is suspicious of someone.
I've talked about this at length and I'm not in the mood to repeat myself, but I dispute strongly that I just "moved along". After the chaos of Day 1 I asked spoonsy to demonstrate his powers in circumstances that were much closer to controlled conditions in which his claim could be tested. He did so. The fact that he did so won trust from me, as did the fact that he passed the test and demonstrated that his powers do indeed seem to be what he claimed they are. (Although I'd still like to see him try to echo twice, that might be skirting the "don't fake day actions" rule.) This is where we come back to the idea of trust not being a binary state. I believed spoonsy on D1 until he did something at the end of the day to severely shake my belief, I asked him to assuage that doubt, and he did. New actions and information, new beliefs.

quote:

It's the same thing with you thinking (1) Voodoo knows Andy didn't make a kill 2 nights in a row, if he votes him it's because he is scummy WHILE (2) Andy knows Voodoo didn't make a kill two nights in a row but YOU ARE VOTING ME ANYWAY. It's just such a huge contradiction in thought that it makes no sense to me - if you think not doing a kill 2 nights in a row clears someone why wouldn't it clear both of us? Again, for the record, I do NOT think either of us should be cleared because you were in my jail and I was jailing you while kills are happening.
You're ignoring so much of what I said! Of course not doing a kill 2 nights in a row doesn't clear anybody! That's why it was a small part of a much bigger argument.

The core of that argument is that you said you're going to jail me again tonight. If you're town and I'm scum, why would you possibly tell the scum what you're going to do with your night action? You really think there's no way they can't get around you? You, who thought up half a dozen ways why maigius could be scum lying about a power he definitely has? If you're right about me, why'd you just throw away every advantage you had, guarantee that you will continue to do no good with your action (hypothetical scum me is certainly not doing the kill tonight now, is he?), and give me an entire day to coordinate the most effective response to you?

This is why I keep slinging "you're not that dumb" back at you, man. It's an extremely stupid play and one I refuse to believe you'd make. Therefore I can only conclude that you don't actually think I'm scum. You wouldn't have told scum you were coming.

quote:

LONG STORY SHORT: I'm at the point I think I just don't understand how you look at people when you play this game. I'm willing to back off at this point. Your actions have been so consistently "whatever" that I don't know if I can actually call them scummy anymore. They just make no sense to me. I'm sure you feel the same way about me as well.
Well like I said, you backing off would be awfully nice. I have explained myself and will continue to do so. And yes, I feel like you make no sense too. And I'd like you to explain yourself in turn. I've had to defend and explain at length, because you have all the power here -- you can bully me and keep me locked down and I can't stop you. (And, again, by your very actions you're showing that you know that already.) It's not super fair.

In conclusion,

I'd like it very much if we could come to trust each other.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Mr. Humalong posted:

Voodoofly and CapnAndy aren't bickering like an old married couple tonight.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

What’s everyone’s favorite dessert pastry AND breakfast pastry?

I like a chocolate croissant and then a brownie after din

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Sandwolf posted:

Frosted, not glazed, ring donuts, chocolate eclairs.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Baklava and waffles I guess

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Are there people who haven't talked during night at all either day?

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

Sandwolf posted:

Cheesecake and breakfast cheesecake

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.
The crew gathers at the break of dawn and finds, for once, only one body waiting for them...

DGK2000, Technopolis Magi-Tech Cult-Aligned Saboteur has been mauled by some kind of animal.

SKILL: Sabotage - Each night you can target a player. If the player has a TECH skill, they lose 1 instance of the item. If this would reduce the number of items to 0 before their ability resolves, then their action fails. If they have more than tech skiil, they will lose 1 of each item associated with that skill.
SKILL: Ninja - You cannot be seen by any night actions.

The following is everyone's start of day postcounts. If you have not increased this number by 10 and the execution happens within 12 hours of deadline, you will be modkilled at the end of the day.

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 4

Not Voting (17): b-minus1, CapitalistPig, CapnAndy, cheese sandwich, dmboogie, LordNad, Maigius, MisterJed, Mr. Humalong, SalTheBard, Sandwolf, Scientastic, Spoonsy, Squiggly, Sub Rosa, Voodoofly, xopods

With 17 alive, it's 9 votes to execute. There is currently no deadline set.

Days will be 48 hours, nights are 24 hours.

Deadlines seem broken, it's on Wed at 6pm EST.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Well there goes today's easy vote, but Sal getting vindicated is good.

Also thank you voodoo :)

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I know this is a bad question to ask but 1 kill last night?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Ok so boogie didn’t kill anyone and the scumkill got blocked/docced/not used, nevermind, not that crazy

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

Amnistar posted:

The crew gathers at the break of dawn and finds, for once, only one body waiting for them...

DGK2000, Technopolis Magi-Tech Cult-Aligned Saboteur has been mauled by some kind of animal.

SKILL: Sabotage - Each night you can target a player. If the player has a TECH skill, they lose 1 instance of the item. If this would reduce the number of items to 0 before their ability resolves, then their action fails. If they have more than tech skiil, they will lose 1 of each item associated with that skill.

I was right! Good riddance thief. And good job animal SK.

1. My werewolf theory looks sound, kills on odd nights.

2. Sal's role is tentatively confirmed.

3. Either the cult killer was RBed, Protect stopped it, or Jose targeted DGK the night he died and the cult is all dead. I don't believe the last one so it's more likely to be one of the first two reasons.

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

Sandwolf posted:

Ok so boogie didn’t kill anyone and the scumkill got blocked/docced/not used, nevermind, not that crazy

I believe his roleclaim. He'll only kill someone who visits his protect target.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

LordNad posted:

I believe his roleclaim. He'll only kill someone who visits his protect target.

Theorycraft: maybe Sal or boogie are odd night SK with an even night utility

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

CapnAndy posted:

Well there goes today's easy vote, but Sal getting vindicated is good.

Also thank you voodoo :)

Voodoo this could be important today, who did you jail?

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
Rip nep. Only one kill interesting

Spoonsy
Dec 6, 2005

Yeah, life is hilariously cruel.
Grimey Drawer
I knew he was the better lunch choice for yesterday.

I guess we need to case new people?

Sal - any chance you did another group of 3 last night?

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

Sandwolf posted:

Theorycraft: maybe Sal or boogie are odd night SK with an even night utility

We would have seen another knife kill from boogie. I believe him.

That is interesting that the animal killer chose DGK and gives a little credence to your theory. IF I HAD MY PAST VIEWERS I could check. At least the thief is dead.

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

Spoonsy posted:

I knew he was the better lunch choice for yesterday.

I guess we need to case new people?

Sal - any chance you did another group of 3 last night?

He's even nights only

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

It's going to come up so I'll be up front: I jailed Boogie.

It was between him and DGK once night flipped. I was more suspicious of Boogie, but honestly the deciding factor was DGK was supposed to hand out the vest and I figured if he was doing that he couldn't do a kill.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Now that's what I call a big fat I told you so.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Honestly DGK being the kill made me think Sal really wanted to check his own results but an odd night SK/even night Eccocop is a *bonkers* role

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Voodoofly posted:

It was between him and DGK once night flipped. I was more suspicious of Boogie, but honestly the deciding factor was DGK was supposed to hand out the vest and I figured if he was doing that he couldn't do a kill.

Nep flipped not night flipped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Voodoofly posted:

Whaaa, why? Didn’t you commit to the Andy thing?