Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Foreign Intelligence x 2, and Keep on the Tux

Both for the usual reason, trying to get good at strategy ain't helping us at this point. That ship sailed and sank with the rest of the fleet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Was it over when the Germans bombed pearl harbour? wear the tux Court Manners and Presence

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Wrap up the trade as an epitaph.

Wear the tux, give no fux.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Air is lava! posted:

Die with god and in dignity. Presence 2x, wear the priestes gown and visit the graveyard.

Seconding this. I will say, I've done pacifist runs on this game before, and Elodie wound up attending services and visiting the tomb very often in order to keep her mood where it needed to be. Even after she saved the world, she just retired to the palace and sat quietly by her mother's grave. :smith:

It's also sorta sad that at this moment, Nova's soldiers are fighting to their last just to give Elodie another week to study.

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 10, 2014

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Wear the tux, study public speaking x2, visit the barracks (just so we can see it)

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Tootin the Doom Flute has led the Kingdom of Ankist into a new age of illumination. Every morning, people wake up and open palm slam a woodwind instrument into their mouth. It is the Doom Flute and right then and there they start playing the notes. They play every note, and they play every note hard
no to the tux!
That is all.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Wear the tuxedo! We will be EconoPrincess until we draw our last breath. Probably next week Let's study Trade x2 so we will know all there is to know about economics in our afterlife as an Econo-Angel.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Ciphering!

Encrypt the tuxedo so that long after the world has turned to dust, alien civilizations will know we died looking fabulous.

Happy Blue
Oct 18, 2012
Trade, in case we don't make it. Strategy, in the hopes we do.

Wear the Military outfit. I don't know if Military skills will save us, but with a modifier that gives us over 20 points a class, if we train in it, and an outfit that gives us +10 to skill checks, even a single Strategy class would give us an effective skill level of 80+; it still might not be enough, and our forces might be too far gone, but it would be awful to fail a check at this stage that we might have passed with 10 more points.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Strategy X2 and the Millitary outfit.

What's the worst that could happen?

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Strategy X2 and the Millitary outfit.

What's the worst that could happen?

Voting this also.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
We will be buried in our tuxedo.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Foreign Intelligence x 2, and the tux, obviously. Find out about our incoming guests, then intimidate them into submission with our sheer fabulousness. Nothing can possibly go wrong.

WindmillSlayer
Oct 16, 2013

Poil posted:

Wrap up the trade as an epitaph.

Wear the tux, give no fux.

I wish you could empty quote in the grey forums, but as you can't, this.

Wear the tux. Give no fux.

Meander
Apr 1, 2010

Ferrosol posted:

Was it over when the Germans bombed pearl harbour? wear the tux Court Manners and Presence

Yes this. Tux to the end!

FFKonoko
Jan 1, 2013

Olfacere violarum.
Not the military outfit.
Foreign Intelligence, Ciphering!
We are probably going to die. But there is always hope. I am almost tempted to suggest that if we do die, it'd be a great extra after the LP to post the way out. Totally going to replicate this run in my own game though, if only because of the whole "Best Dad Ever, gonna look into my vault of magic stuff" thing.

Muraena
Feb 18, 2013

Justice. Honor. Anime~

Air is lava! posted:

Die with god and in dignity. Presence 2x, wear the priestes gown and visit the graveyard.

This. Maybe we'll be declared a Saint afterwards, who knows...

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
'Half again as many troops'. Not half again as many SHIPS. So I must ask how many ships did they bring that we were dumped on so easily? Or perhaps the question is more 'how little did we have'?

Not even a roll?

I bet we don't get to hire mercs, either.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Bloodly posted:

'Half again as many troops'. Not half again as many SHIPS. So I must ask how many ships did they bring that we were dumped on so easily? Or perhaps the question is more 'how little did we have'?

Not even a roll?

Yeah, this is something that doesn't make too much sense to me. Landing an army in a mediaeval world is difficult. Hell, landing an army in any world is difficult. Why not guard the beaches and ports and then kill them as they try to make landfall? You'd only want to engage them at sea if you had some sort of naval advantage, wouldn't you? It's not really like they can sail up and down the coast indefinitely; their army needs to eat and drink.

Oh well. Artistic licence!

Muraena
Feb 18, 2013

Justice. Honor. Anime~
For all we know this was done on Elodie's orders, and given her Military score, well.. :downs:

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

zonohedron posted:

There are no filler stats. Not all stats are important every playthrough, that's all, and some stats never really need to be higher than 50. (For example, Dance seems like a particularly useless skill, just there to make it harder to raise Reflexes or Flexibility, but sufficient Dance can keep Elodie alive in one specific situation.)

If there were random events, it wouldn't matter how many times you'd played before - you'd literally never know which stats you wanted to train by which week. That would make it very difficult if not completely impossible.

Not if the requirements were revised, which they should have been. The way the game is focuses on remembering what happens when, which is not fun at all. I beat the game long after it stopped being entertaining.

ditty bout my clitty fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Apr 10, 2014

FFKonoko
Jan 1, 2013

Olfacere violarum.

Bloodly posted:

Not even a roll?

Just because it's not a roll, doesn't mean it's not due to decisions made or not made.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Pyroi posted:

It is too late for the tux. We might as well wear something that we'll look good in a casket in. That top hat probably wouldn't fit in our casket anyway. Royal Gown time.

It is NEVER too late for the Fabutux 3000. When the Novan people are gone and the cities crumbled to dust, when the very memory of their existence fades upon the winds of time, still the TUX shall remain. From top hat to jacket, from shirt to shoes, the TUX is eternal. If we put our faith in it, so too shall it put its faith in us. And perhaps it will save us all.

Though, it also doesn't hurt to help ourselves, so visit the barracks and train Presence x2 so we can be properly imperious.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

It's an ongoing invasion. We have a (little) bit of time, I hope.

Military x2 and wear the military thing.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Voting is closed.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Outfit

True Votes

Tux: 17

Not the uniform: 1

Heathens

Coronet: 4

Uniform: 4

Robe: 3

Not the tux: 1

Weekend Activities

Visit Grave: 3

Barracks: 2

Visit Dad: 1 To be clear, we can't visit Dad right now.

Classes

Presence: 15

Trade: 12

Strategy: 8

Foreign Intelligence: 7

Public Speaking: 4

Ciphering: 3

Flatter: 2

Swords: 2

Court Manners: 2

Military: 2

Elegance: 1

Winners

Tux

Visit Grave

Presence

Trade

gregory
Jun 8, 2013

METAL GEAR!
Unfortunately I didn't have time (or perhaps more importantly, skill) to draw a picture of Elodie caressing the tux and whispering, "Shhh, don't listen to them. I'll never let them hurt you."

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

We have a penalty to learning presence, but screw it! We are doing what we want with our last days!

You have nothing more to learn about Trade.

The invasion of Nova is proceeding. Your coastline is under Shanjian control. Soldiers have marched through villages, trampling fields and frightening citizens. A diplomatic delegation from Shanjia has requested access to the castle to discuss terms - most likely, for your surrender. You lack the strength to hold off their armies, and surrendering now will save many lives. It would seem that you have no choice. You prepare yourself as best you can to meet with the representatives from Shanjia.

Listen to this music track. This is the only point in the game where it plays, and it is great.

You expected diplomats and a military representative, a general or an admiral. You did not expect the handsome man decked in jewels who now stands before you - a man announced by your servants as Togami, King of Shanjia.

You yearn to slap the false sympathy off his oily face, but you force yourself to remain calm.

War benefits no one, don't you think? Such a terrible waste. Better to settle things in a civilised manner. A contest. A game, so to speak, with Nova as the stakes. Should I win, then your domain will submit and accept me as Overlord with no further resistance. Should I lose, then my army will leave your domain in peace and shed no more blood.

What sort of game?

It is well known that Nova is ruled by Lumens. As it happens, I too possess the powers of a Lumen. I propose a formal duel. My powers against yours. The winner takes control of Nova, the loser... dies.

But I'm not a Lumen!

Saving it for the coronation, were you? Such a pity that you'll be unprepared. Well, then. Go and find your crystal. Becoming a Lumen is a very simple matter. Then we can have our duel.

What's the point? You know I can't win. Why don't you just kill me now?

Because that's not the game. You want to save your people, don't you? I want to fight a Lumen. If you refuse, then the war will continue. I'll sweeten the deal. If you meet me in a formal Lumen challenge, I'll call off the invasion even if I win.

Really?

I swear it by the gods. Nova will be free and safe.

Why take that risk? You're winning the war.

It's not your land that I want. It's your crystal. To gain your power, I am willing to wager my own. Shall we begin?

(I don't like this... But what choice do I have?)

Should Elodie go out with a bang or a whimper? Note: the bang may be quite literal.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 10, 2014

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

We wanted to become a Lumen eventually, right? And we've had Joslyn researching anti-Lumen artifacts, right?

Let's accept his terms! :shopkeeper:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

gently caress it, let's do this thing!

Man, not even a check for strategy. I'd seen this route before, but I forgot that.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Accept his terms.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Accept his terms

Our crystal is stored in the treasury, which means it's a part of our wealth, and using money is what we do best so there's no way we could lose.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
...okay, maybe we SHOULDN'T piss off all wizards everywhere next time. But let's Accept, because at least then Nova remains safe.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Accept his terms.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Accept our death with dignity. Hey, it's not like he wants our money, so we're not losing that much. :v:

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
And so, our pathological hatred of witchcraft comes back to bite us in the rear end. Who could've known? :downs: Anyhow, we're not going down without a fight, even if it is a pitiful one from our side. Accept his offer.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I sure hope daddy will be a little usefull now. Bring it on!

Refusing will probably just be a straight up death without any checks.

Muraena
Feb 18, 2013

Justice. Honor. Anime~
Accept his terms.

We shall save Our Kingdom, even if it costs Us Our life! (maybe we'll even get that Sainthood too)

gregory
Jun 8, 2013

METAL GEAR!
So we either get the crystal, die, and then make him even more powerful, but possibly save the poor, tuxedo-less souls of our kingdom, or we refuse his silly little fight, die, and then his army probably kills like five more people before the rest of the kingdom surrenders anyway. To be honest, I feel like the only of these options that I can consider "winning" is the one where we take a seat, smooth out the creases of the tux, and take all the fun out of his conquest by refusing to duel.

(As an added bonus, he may never find the crystal, and honestly, at what point did we ever care about our subjects? If we're dead, there isn't anybody we can show off our tuxedo to or to brag about our money to, so why die to save them? If they all die, then we'll just have more people to admire our tuxedo in the afterlife.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Accept his terms and sacrifice yourself for the greater good!
What a nice invader. I suppose there's some ulterior motive to this though.

• Locked thread