Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm not gonna defend his actions (I actually condemn them) but this is the Marlins saying they would do stuff to help his family, even after they knew what happened, and then following up on none of it, basically.
Well that was the Loria Marlins. Loria and Jose were pretty close from what I understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Timby posted:

I think the baffling thing is less "why fire Bryan Price now" and more "holy gently caress, why is Jim Riggleman still employed, and why is he now managing a team again?"

Riggleman was managing in the Reds minor league system after he left Washington and got promoted every year so I guess they like him. He is also going to reap all the regression back to mean over the next few months. The Reds aren't good but they aren't nearly this bad, especially on offense.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Freddie's tests came back negative and now he's day to day

thank GOD

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

RisqueBarber posted:

Why? Turns out when you get a drunk, do cocaine and drive a boat into some rocks you're not entitled to death benefits. This is in every life insurance contract.

Defending insurance companies when there's a widow and a baby without any money is some pretty incredible latestagecapitalism.txt imo

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Waffles Inc. posted:

Defending insurance companies when there's a widow and a baby without any money is some pretty incredible latestagecapitalism.txt imo

Appeal to authority reaction in 4.....3....2....

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Waffles Inc. posted:

I'd rather defend an insurance company than a murderer

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I don't care about the insurance company stuff but I'm not sure a statue for a guy who'd be in jail for vehicular homicide is a smart move.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Niwrad posted:

I don't care about the insurance company stuff but I'm not sure a statue for a guy who'd be in jail for vehicular homicide is a smart move.

Jose's last double play

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Jose's last double play

:laffo:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

Oh god he's out for like 6 weeks isn't he

Wrist injuries are his achillies heel. Even if he comes back, they always sap his power.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

The article this was posted in reminds us that Ichiro's stellar MLB career happens after a decade of being Japan's best player.

I like how they slotted in Shohei's birthdate there.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Imo it's perfectly acceptable to both:
a) Believe what Jose did was stupid and terrible and not worth defending even if he was fun, gregarious presence in MLB up to his death
b) Believe what the Marlins are doing in regards to not taking care of his family is stupid and terrible even if they have a legal justification for not doing so.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sydin posted:

a) Believe what Jose did was stupid and terrible and not worth defending even if he was fun, gregarious presence in MLB up to his death
b) Believe what the Marlins are doing in regards to not taking care of his family is stupid and terrible even if they have a legal justification for not doing so.

Yeah, I don't think it's necessarily defending an insurance company to point out that they won't pay in the circumstances of Jose's death. The Marlins should take care of his family in that case, though.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Dodgers put Rich Hill on the DL with a cracked fingernail. Not sure if this is more phantom DL shenanigans, or Rich Hill just has extremely fragile hands.

On the plus side they moved up Kershaw's start, and we get Kershaw v. Scherzer tomorrow in prime time.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Inspector_666 posted:

Yeah, I don't think it's necessarily defending an insurance company to point out that they won't pay in the circumstances of Jose's death. The Marlins should take care of his family in that case, though.

Have the Marlins said they would take care of the family and haven't? I know about the locker thing but not anything else.

If not, why should they? If I died doing some dumb poo poo my company wouldn't pay a thing to my family and honestly I wouldn't expect them to outside of any insurance I might have. (which then loops back around to it being the insurance company not my work's responsibility).

e: this is me playing devil's advocate btw. I don't know if the family needs help or not, Jose's was making 2.8 when he died and I assume that went to them. I also don't see why the Marlins are obligated to take care of them outside of his contract.

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 19, 2018

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Joey Freshwater posted:

Have the Marlins said they would take care of the family and haven't? I know about the locker thing but not anything else.

If not, why should they? If I died doing some dumb poo poo my company wouldn't pay a thing to my family and honestly I wouldn't expect them to outside of any insurance I might have. (which then loops back around to it being the insurance company not my work's responsibility)

I'm pretty sure Loria and crew did, right after the accident and all that.

I mean, sure you can say that's Loria's deal and the new ownership shouldn't have to honor it and oh yeah cool your employer would leave your family in the lurch too but that's not a very compelling moral argument.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

There's that appeal to authority. Do you let your company tell you who to vote for too?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
They definitely did at the time although that may have been before the toxicology report came out. Either way it's lovely of them to go back on that without at least informing the family (really the Marlins should support his family anyway since it's a drop in the bucket compared to even their payroll but this is an industry that won't even pay its minor leaguers a living wage so :sigh:)

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Zigmidge posted:

There's that appeal to authority. Do you let your company tell you who to vote for too?

What? No, what does that have to do with anything?

Was Jose's contract paid out at/before he died? He was making 2.8 the year he died.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

It's a matter of precedent. If the Marlins pay out benefits from their own pocket for the family of a guy who killed himself and two other people, any of their players who die/hurt themselves from drugs or alcohol going forward can now sue and say "Well you did it for Jose Fernandez, why not me?" and I don't think "He was a rookie of the year" is a going to be a good argument in court.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Sydin posted:

It also shouldn’t be a surprise that the Marlins under Jeets are refusing to help at all, removing his locker, etc, given all the other laughably evil decisions they’ve made in the last few months.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Joey Freshwater posted:

If not, why should they? If I died doing some dumb poo poo my company wouldn't pay a thing to my family and honestly I wouldn't expect them to outside of any insurance I might have. (which then loops back around to it being the insurance company not my work's responsibility).

e: this is me playing devil's advocate btw. I don't know if the family needs help or not, Jose's was making 2.8 when he died and I assume that went to them. I also don't see why the Marlins are obligated to take care of them outside of his contract.

His estate is definitely being sued by the families of the two guys he killed.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It also shouldn’t be a surprise that the Marlins under Jeets are refusing to help at all, removing his locker, etc, given all the other laughably evil decisions they’ve made in the last few months.

I don't take an issue with the locker cleanout to be honest. To think it was just going to sit untouched forever is a little naive.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why is a guy that got drunk, did a ton of coke and drove a boat into a wall, killing himself and two other people being defended?

If this was a headline of how Florida Man did the same we'd all be talking about what a worthless rear end in a top hat he was.

Marlins have done a bunch of dumb poo poo lately but walking away from this situation isn't one of them.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
hey i'm back in SAS after like five years to let everyone know: the red sox own

namaste

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

I'm pretty sure Loria and crew did, right after the accident and all that.

I mean, sure you can say that's Loria's deal and the new ownership shouldn't have to honor it and oh yeah cool your employer would leave your family in the lurch too but that's not a very compelling moral argument.

The Marlins can't pay his family because they aren't an American company, remember?

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Joey Freshwater posted:

Why is a guy that got drunk, did a ton of coke and drove a boat into a wall, killing himself and two other people being defended?

If this was a headline of how Florida Man did the same we'd all be talking about what a worthless rear end in a top hat he was.

Marlins have done a bunch of dumb poo poo lately but walking away from this situation isn't one of them.

Whose defending it? What is being discussed is that his wife and infant son are risking poverty because the Marlins reneged on their promise to support them. Fernandez being a gently caress ingredients homicidal idiot doesn't mean his widow and kid should have to suffer for it.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Sydin posted:

a gently caress ingredients homicidal idiot

What?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sydin posted:

Whose defending it? What is being discussed is that his wife and infant son are risking poverty because the Marlins reneged on their promise to support them. Fernandez being a gently caress ingredients homicidal idiot doesn't mean his widow and kid should have to suffer for it.

I guess that was more in reaction to people being upset about the Marlins taking his locker down. The guy shouldn't be venerated.

also

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

RisqueBarber posted:

It's a matter of precedent. If the Marlins pay out benefits from their own pocket for the family of a guy who killed himself and two other people, any of their players who die/hurt themselves from drugs or alcohol going forward can now sue and say "Well you did it for Jose Fernandez, why not me?" and I don't think "He was a rookie of the year" is a going to be a good argument in court.

I'm reasonably sure the Marlins can do whatever they want with their money without setting a 'precedent' that could be used against them successfully in court. Sure they could be sued, but the answer would be 'we liked him more than you' and that's fine as long as no contracts are involved or breached.

Honestly though if Loria is the guy who made promises (and even more so if he was close to Jose) he ought to be the one helping out the family. But he's Jeff Loria so....

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Gonna sound conspiratorial here but how did they know who was driving the boat no one survived in?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

hey i'm back in SAS after like five years to let everyone know: the red sox own

namaste

good job beating the marlins and rays a bunch of times :confused:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

My phone is bad at posting. See javelining dogs from last postseason.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Sydin posted:

Trying to figure out what ingredients meant. Negligent, maybe?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Sydin posted:

I know he wasn't making big bucks yet but there is no reason they should be risking poverty. He made close to $5 million playing for the Marlins the last few years. He had an additional $2 million signing bonus out of high school. Had endorsement deals like 5 Hour Energy.

There's no reason they should be living a life of poverty.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Pancakes posted:

Trying to figure out what ingredients meant. Negligent, maybe?

gently caress ing

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sydin posted:

I would rather not see that, you gently caress ingredients dogicidal idiot.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah my phone refuses to learn the word loving and tries to autocorrect it constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy

Goodpancakes posted:

Gonna sound conspiratorial here but how did they know who was driving the boat no one survived in?

I think I saw that there is a lawsuit to this effect right now, but I have no idea how credible it is(probably not very).

In any case the accident being Fernandez's fault doesn't really make it any less tragic or devastating to those effected by it. Certainly it changes the way we may remember him, but it doesn't really change what he meant to people. Grieving is already a complicated process, and is only made more complicated by the destructive manner that he died. I really don't understand the urge to scold people about it.

• Locked thread