Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

If you imagine your character as a mech I could totally see KB working out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Internet Kraken posted:

I've beaten all 3 games on keyboard you can't loving stop me.

Sure the first time I picked up Dark Souls I had to spend 3 hours figuring out a remapped control scheme that worked, but I'm used to it.

:respek: I admire your hardcore keyboard dedication. I just used a controller though because I'm not a crazy person.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Internet Kraken posted:

Oh KB+M is a total mess, unless you have one of those fancy gamer mouses with tons of buttons. With a standard 3 button mouse you don't have enough buttons to bind everything properly.

Just keyboard though? That's fine. Just rebind everything camera related to your numpad and put the attack buttons over there too.

i don’t know if you consider a mouse with two thumb buttons a fancy gamer mouse but it works just fine

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I'm calling the game police on all of you

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Internet Kraken posted:

Oh KB+M is a total mess, unless you have one of those fancy gamer mouses with tons of buttons. With a standard 3 button mouse you don't have enough buttons to bind everything properly.

Just keyboard though? That's fine. Just rebind everything camera related to your numpad and put the attack buttons over there too.

okay i was getting ready to defend you on the assumption that you meant KB+M in the first place but this is just loving insanity

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm playing Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sins as my very first Dark Souls with a mouse and keyboard and I am doing terrible at it. :smug:

I'd be doing even worse with a controller.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

the only problem with playing DS3 on KB+M is you basically need to bind kick to an autohotkey macro because it won't let you just bind it to a key like a normal game

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i did play devil may cry 4 entirely on keyboard my first time through because it didn’t recognize mouse inputs but i’ve found a workaround since then so i wouldn’t do it again

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

if I never have to use a keyboard and mouse to play a video game ever again, I'll be happy

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Phantasium posted:

if I never have to use a keyboard and mouse to play a video game ever again, I'll be happy

Yeah try and play Dwarf Fortress with a controller mate. I loving dare you.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah try and play Dwarf Fortress with a controller mate. I loving dare you.

good thing I never want to play that, ever then!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I prefer fighting games on PC because they are so much better on a keyboard

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

apart from twin stick shooters and racing games there is no reason to ever use a non KB+M control scheme

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Late but as cool as Hyrule Warriors is I dread going back if only because I hated the stuff in adventure mode that required you to basically beat levels without getting hit to move on. That poo poo always sucks and the same mode was mostly far less interesting in PW3 but I still liked it more because they got rid of that requirement and instead replaced it with the amount of time you spent in super mode

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

apart from twin stick shooters and racing games there is no reason to ever use a non KB+M control scheme

well, bad ports is a good reason

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

what the literal gently caress

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I prefer fighting games on PC because they are so much better on a keyboard

This post is weirder than the keyboard only dark souls post

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Saint Freak posted:

I'm calling the game police on all of you

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

2D and 3D platformers should never be played using kb+m unless you hate yourself, the game or both

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I agree with it, fight sticks feel very bad to use for me

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

glam rock hamhock posted:

2D and 3D platformers should never be played using kb+m unless you hate yourself, the game or both

it's for people who like playing super mario 64 ds

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

well, bad ports is a good reason

oh yeah absolutely, i mean more from a design standpoint

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

3d platformers are one of the best things to play with kb+m because you can move the camera around with the mouse instead of a thumbstick

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

without taking your fingers off buttons, too

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

glam rock hamhock posted:

no that's dumb

especially for 2D platformers which usually have purely digital input, meaning it literally makes no difference

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Personally I like using controllers for third or first person games where precise aiming isn't needed, and games where having pressure sensitive buttons or sick sensitivity is necessary for the controls like racing games. other than that im a kbm guy

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Twin stick shooters are approximately 1 billion times better with kb+m.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

chumbler posted:

Twin stick shooters are approximately 1 billion times better with kb+m.

you know you're probably right, i've just literally never played a twin stick shooter that bothered to have good mouse controls instead of bizarrely feeding mouse input into the existing pad-based scheme (except for Nuclear Throne)

i'm thinking of like the twin-stick sections in Nier: Automata, though, or Furi which has mouse controls but they're complete rear end

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i don't care what you use to control a game but saying there's no reason to use a controller for goddamn platformers is nuts

even with 2d ones i tried playing mega man zero on a keyboard and i just couldn't adjust

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
All the time I was playing Hollow Knight I was thinking how much better it would be with a controller.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

yeah nier automata’s twinstick shooter section’s mouse input is all sorts of hosed up to the very nearly unusuable, which is doubly annoying because outside of the 2d sections they’re 100% perfectly implemented.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The Colonel posted:

i don't care what you use to control a game but saying there's no reason to use a controller for goddamn platformers is nuts

even with 2d ones i tried playing mega man zero on a keyboard and i just couldn't adjust

why

like with the digital / analog input thing it's not even a matter of opinion, you lose nothing

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

The Colonel posted:

it's for people who like playing super mario 64 ds

Super Mario 64 DS is honestly one of the most baffling games ever made.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

every single ps1 game i’ve ever played was done entirely with keyboard input

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

you know you're probably right, i've just literally never played a twin stick shooter that bothered to have good mouse controls instead of bizarrely feeding mouse input into the existing pad-based scheme (except for Nuclear Throne)

i'm thinking of like the twin-stick sections in Nier: Automata, though, or Furi which has mouse controls but they're complete rear end

Ok admittedly I was thinking of Nuclear Throne there, which has the sensible system of shoot at where the mouse is.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

why

like with the digital / analog input thing it's not even a matter of opinion, you lose nothing

because i loving hated it and couldn't adjust. this is not complicated

i've played mgr on a m+kb so i can understand saying action games work fine because they do. i cannot play platformers on a mouse and keyboard and say that it doesn't feel like poo poo to me, especially when they're something like mega man that is heavy on tapping buttons really fast, doing that with my loving ring or index finger feels incredibly awkward

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 11, 2018

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Keyboards just seem more precise to me and now that I have a :siren: mechanical keyboard :siren: I have achieved gaming nirvana.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

why

keys have too much throw before they actuate, dpads just feel better

here's my crazy control thing though: I use different fight sticks to play fgs and shmups because I think you need long throw for fgs and short for shmups

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I wish octagonal gate fight sticks were the norm because I have trouble hitting the cardinal directions precisely sometimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

I wish octagonal gate fight sticks were the norm because I have trouble hitting the cardinal directions precisely sometimes

don't troll please

• Locked thread