Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I think we’re getting the Pochita Denji reunion shortly. Sick chapter. All you folks have said much of what I’m thinking.

Waiting for Kobeni to perfect KO Makima hand to hand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I had a thought this chapter; what if Pochita/Chainsaw isn't the Unknown but Chaos? Makima remarked that Chainsawman is supposed to be utterly unpredictable and it would make some sense if Control was obsessed with Chaos. Obviously, unpredictability could also apply to the Unknown, but I think this is worth considering.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Just thought of something else interesting.

I've written before that Makima seems to "get" Denji better than anyone else in the manga, and I still stand by that. You don't break someone that thoroughly without knowing them very, very well.

It's a pretty big contrast from her current behavior. Or, to be more precise, it's a big contrast from her behavior regarding Poochita. She has all these grand ideas of what "Chainsaw Man" is like, thinks there must be some Deep Reason that Poochita didn't stick around to eat her, is trying to say how he's So Different from Denji... and that's not the case.

Actually, it feels like Denji and Makima are in about the same place, now that I think about it. They both were in love with an ideal version of the other (For Denji, there's Makima as kind, loving boss/girlfriend, for Makima, the Chainsaw Man as an unsullied force of chaos and destruction). They've both been had those illusions shattered. (Makima's given Denji all her worst in one horrible evening, Denji's taken the role of Chainsaw after Makima thought he was entirely out of the game and after he did something to prove himself Not Chainsaw At All). And they're now both desperately trying to cope.

The difference is that Denji is (ironically) being much more mature about it. He's not happy, but he's accepted that he still has feelings for Makima-the-reality despite knowing that she's not the same as the fantasy, and he's still going forward with what he has to do despite those feelings.

Makima, meanwhile, is trying to detach Denji from her picture of her ideal, and she's willing to throw away all the greater good she was working towards in a fit of pique, "killing" Denji and the Chainsaw at once and losing any ability to use his power because he isn't exactly what she thought.

Denji's not winning the throwdown yet, but he's certainly the one who's coping better.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Makima is a loving idiot

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Junpei Hyde posted:

Makima is a loving idiot

Makima's a very smart woman with a detailed, long term plan that accounts for every reasonable possibility.

Meanwhile, Denji's a teenage idiot who eats out of the dumpster.

This is part of why it's so funny that Denji's the one not acting like a total moron right now.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Just a heads up, some magazine leaks are already out , confirming Next chapter is the penultimate chapter, and then for the last chapter there will be a color page with an important announcement

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Julias posted:

Just a heads up, some magazine leaks are already out , confirming Next chapter is the penultimate chapter, and then for the last chapter there will be a color page with an important announcement

Aww, fiddlesticks. :(

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Julias posted:

Excellent. I want to see thisend gloriously rather than be padded into infinity.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Darth TNT posted:

Excellent. I want to see thisend gloriously rather than be padded into infinity.

Yeah totally I'm stoked for this.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

I was guessing it would end at chapter 100 tbh but this sounds rad.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I can't wait to see what Fujimoto makes after Chainsawman.

What a godamn high note to end the series on!

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
that important announcement is definitely an anime

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I feel that it's too early! Could've used one more arc. Ah well.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I will be super pissed though if Makima comes out on top in the end.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

https://twitter.com/ShinukiNoReborn/status/1334068063088545797

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

:negative:

OOF

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

In fairness after the Ant arc HxH hardly even resembles its earlier self soooo

Wano arc is amazing, no shame for One Piece to still be on that content while CSM does an entire run.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

The Notorious ZSB posted:

In fairness after the Ant arc HxH hardly even resembles its earlier self soooo

Wano arc is amazing, no shame for One Piece to still be on that content while CSM does an entire run.

It sucks because the current and last couple of HxH arcs have been some of my favorite of the series. It's been so much better without Gon. But at the same time, it feels like a different series altogether.

I'm hoping for a satisfying ending to CSM, although knowing how Fire Punch ended it may get weird. What a great ride it's been.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Whooping Crabs posted:

It sucks because the current and last couple of HxH arcs have been some of my favorite of the series. It's been so much better without Gon. But at the same time, it feels like a different series altogether.

I'm hoping for a satisfying ending to CSM, although knowing how Fire Punch ended it may get weird. What a great ride it's been.

The long break from the end of that arc, coupled with the new characters, and a distinctly looser art style I think you captured it for me, feels like a totally different series. Maybe if it had something to inform you it is different stories in the same world I might have found it easier to take back up. Not saying that moving on from a protag is bad, just that it can be hard to do.

I guess i should read Fire Punch at some point having enjoyed this and having a stomach for the level of gore and ugliness y'all have mentioned are in it.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I'm sad it's ending, but it's that good kind of melancholy you get when you finish a great book. I really hope it sticks the landing.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

The thought of Chainsawman ending so quickly has me feeling blue.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Hypocrisy posted:

The thought of Chainsawman ending so quickly has me feeling blue.

Just means we're that much closer to getting another great series. I enjoyed Firepunch quite a lot, but CSM is definitely a refinement and improvement over it, showing that Fujimoto definitely learned from it. I heavily suspect the next manga will have learned from Chainsawman and possibly even improved further!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I feel like CSM would crash into the rocks if it went for even another year.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

Eggplant Squire posted:

I will be super pissed though if Makima comes out on top in the end.

Even if she does, it'll definitely be a pyrrhic victory, she'll have total control, but knowing true happiness escaped her grasp will possible drive her mad, possibly with a hint of Chainsaw Man being reborn as Denji, instead of Poochita. Who knows though?! I love that I absolutely cannot guess where this is going.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Totally blindsided by this news! Why now??? There's too much left... we havent seen so many devils, we didn't explore Hell, Power didn't come back to us... Whats gonna happen with Kobeni????????? I thought there'd be 1 more arc at least. Didn't Fujimoto say that we were nearing like the end of the first major arc and he had 3 in mind???

I don't get it... don't take away CSM... not like this

announcement please be anime + new on going called Denji Goes to Hell

The biggest thing I'll miss is the art and characters of this specific world and the way everyone is written. I loved the way everyone is drawn, the style of it, so I don't want it to go.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there's no room for downtime in hell. it would just be constant fighting until and possibly after denji found the blood devil.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I was expecting a few more chapters but it doesn't really make much of a difference tbh. It's a great place to end, and considering what's happened in this last arc, having it continue would just kind of diminish everything that's happened.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Yeah it was clear this was the last arc but this seems like it's leaving a lot on the table, which isn't a bad thing I guess? Leave the audience wanting more and all that.

Jerkface posted:

It'll change magazine and be called Chainsaw Maximum.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jerkface posted:

Totally blindsided by this news! Why now??? There's too much left... we havent seen so many devils, we didn't explore Hell, Power didn't come back to us... Whats gonna happen with Kobeni????????? I thought there'd be 1 more arc at least. Didn't Fujimoto say that we were nearing like the end of the first major arc and he had 3 in mind???

I don't get it... don't take away CSM... not like this

The biggest thing I'll miss is the art and characters of this specific world and the way everyone is written. I loved the way everyone is drawn, the style of it, so I don't want it to go.

The three arcs thing was a rumor that never got sourced.

I just hope the last two chapters wrap everything up in a satisfying way. (I'm kind of expecting a callback to the theater.) Any other writer, I'd assume this would be way, way too compressed, but this is Fujimoto, and doing things in a tiny portion of the usual time and making it work is kind of one of the recurring motifs of Chainsaw Man. (Like Power coming back one chapter, dying again in the next, and making it work.)

At least the writing style is likely to come back in whatever Fujimoto does next, and the artstyle is likely to be similar. (His one-shots show the same sense of humor a lot of the time, as does Fire Punch.)

I won't lie. I'll really miss Chainsaw Man, but if it wraps up well, then I'll be satisfied. Better to get a killer 11 volume manga than something like Promised Neverland where it goes on to be a shadow of its former self.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
They said it was entering the final arc like a month ago I don't know how blindsided you could be by this

CSM has never been overly concerned with world-building, so I'm not surprised a lot of stuff is being left on the table.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Blockhouse posted:

They said it was entering the final arc like a month ago I don't know how blindsided you could be by this

CSM has never been overly concerned with world-building, so I'm not surprised a lot of stuff is being left on the table.

The arc is gonna end up being like 9 chapters, thats blindsiding imo

So I went back and re-read all the announcements, and it got announced that its entered its final phase with the release of Chapter 91. And apparently its going to end with Chapter 97. Considering what the manga did in its previous 90 chapters, thats wayy too little!

I want to see the next 2 chapters before I complain about it being rushed, as theres a chance the ending is great, but I thought for a final arc we'd get more than 9 chapters yknow.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I hope Fujimoto makes a new series set in the same universe as CSM, the setting is too good to just abandon already.

By the way the spoilers for the chapter are pretty messed up.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I just want Kobeni to be okay and for Denji and Power to be buddies in hell.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jerkface posted:

The arc is gonna end up being like 9 chapters, thats blindsiding imo

So I went back and re-read all the announcements, and it got announced that its entered its final phase with the release of Chapter 91. And apparently its going to end with Chapter 97. Considering what the manga did in its previous 90 chapters, thats wayy too little!

I want to see the next 2 chapters before I complain about it being rushed, as theres a chance the ending is great, but I thought for a final arc we'd get more than 9 chapters yknow.

Depends on how you count arcs. The fan wiki places this arc as starting right after the Gun Devil arc with "A Dog's Feelings", putting it at 18 chapters, as long as International Assassins, the previous longest arc in the manga.

(Yes. 18 chapters is a long arc by Chainsaw Man standards. This manga has places to be.)

One thing that kind of stands out to me in retrospect about Chainsaw Man's pacing is how it managed to actually establish status quos before breaking them, something you don't normally get in lightning paced serieses. You could see a bunch more arcs happening with, say, Himeno and Arai around. It's just that the manga didn't go in for them. We got enough to know what the dynamics would be, and then we moved on.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Honestly trying to create hard-set "this arc starts here" chapters is kinda pointless imo. This isn't DBZ where they beat one bad guy and thus can move on to the next. Early CSM admittedly falls into that pattern, but mostly just to pull the rug out from under you.

Like, the international assassins leads into darkness devil which leads into Denji and Power bonding which leads into Aki as the gun devil which leads to where we are now. Everything is very closely tied to the events that led up to them.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Fun finds while re-reading: we now know why Makima was able to so easily out drink everyone - she was getting random others drunk!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

Honestly trying to create hard-set "this arc starts here" chapters is kinda pointless imo. This isn't DBZ where they beat one bad guy and thus can move on to the next. Early CSM admittedly falls into that pattern, but mostly just to pull the rug out from under you.

Like, the international assassins leads into darkness devil which leads into Denji and Power bonding which leads into Aki as the gun devil which leads to where we are now. Everything is very closely tied to the events that led up to them.

I dunno. There tend to be downtime chapters between arcs that keep them distinct, like drinking after Eternity, or the Hayakawa family vacation after International Assassins. Sometimes (like training with Kishibe) they come in the middle of an antagonist's time in the spotlight, but even then, it's framed around dealing with the current issue, rather than being an outright break in the action.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

I'll never understand how HxH still has fans when it gets less chapters per year than Berserk does.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Because it's extremely good when it gets chapters; probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

I am legit surprised that they haven't gone the One Punch Man route and just gotten another artist to tell the HxH story at this point. I'm sure Togashi gets a say in if that's even a possibility but still.