Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Ok, found it on p21:
"All monstrosities can make the slam, head-butt, and push power attacks. Heavy monstrosities can make the trample power attack."

PP is relatively forward-looking in their design, so they're probably leaving that space for future expansion, but it seems like a weird distinction to make unless light monstrosities have been considered or there's more in the full list.

and on p81 they talk a bit about "Exulon Thexus' theme force, which is featured in the upcoming Forces of WARMACHINE: Cephalyx." I mean that could just be the name of a PDF or magazine article, but it looks really book-ish. Have they said how the list is getting released? All I know is that it's coming out at L&L, which doesn't really line up with a NQ article or booklet pack-in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

susan
Jan 14, 2013

waah posted:

General question: with the new errata that came out do the digital versions of books/cards in the Privateer Press apps automatically update to reflect errata entries?

Cards in Warroom are auto updated; can't say about the books, but hopefully so.

moths posted:

Ok, found it on p21:
"All monstrosities can make the slam, head-butt, and push power attacks. Heavy monstrosities can make the trample power attack."

PP is relatively forward-looking in their design, so they're probably leaving that space for future expansion, but it seems like a weird distinction to make unless light monstrosities have been considered or there's more in the full list.

and on p81 they talk a bit about "Exulon Thexus' theme force, which is featured in the upcoming Forces of WARMACHINE: Cephalyx." I mean that could just be the name of a PDF or magazine article, but it looks really book-ish. Have they said how the list is getting released? All I know is that it's coming out at L&L, which doesn't really line up with a NQ article or booklet pack-in.

PP thinks waaaaaaay far out into the future. In the fullness of time, barring a company collapse or other tramautic business event, there will be a Cephalyx book. There will be a Mark III. There will be a reason they renamed all those damned units in the errata. And yeah, there will be light Monstrosities.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Am I crazy or didn't they just flat out say Cephalyx is getting a book release in the reveal? As in "they're not in Vengeance, they're getting their own book". I can't double check right now but I was certain that a book was confirmed.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

It will probably be a small No Quarter style book.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

AttackBacon posted:

Am I crazy or didn't they just flat out say Cephalyx is getting a book release in the reveal? As in "they're not in Vengeance, they're getting their own book". I can't double check right now but I was certain that a book was confirmed.

They said that at templecon iirc

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

My impression was that there was going to be a digital Forces book released at their initial release, and then the paper release will be them included in the merc section of the next Warmachine book.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Whats the most forgiving hordes faction? Trolls?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

DJ Dizzy posted:

I'd argue Legion. They get to ignore Stealth and certain LOS rules.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

DJ Dizzy posted:

Personally I'd say Skorne or Legion, but others would probably know better than me.

Definitely not Circle :v:

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

fool_of_sound posted:

I'd argue Legion. They get to ignore Stealth and certain LOS rules.

Legion gets to ignore lots of rules along with being relatively cheap to buy into.

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out

GEMorris posted:

Legion gets to ignore lots of rules along with being relatively cheap to buy into.

Legion are really unforgiving if you don't know every threat range, though.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Incy posted:

Legion are really unforgiving if you don't know every threat range, though.

Your own threat range or your opponent's? You can ask. Learning this game isn't particularly easy with any faction.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Skorne is perhaps the only faction in all of Warmahordes that doesnt appeal to me

:negative:

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
I feel the same way. I could comfortably see myself owning at least a small-sized contingent in every faction, except for Skorne.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

I'm on board with everything but Legion and Skorne, for essentially the same reason. I realize what they were going for with the "near human" races(Blighted Nyss and Skorne), but in the end they just look poorly sculpted to me.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

What are the Skorne guys, anyway? They remind me of Stargate Atlantis aliens.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Titans are loving awesome, and that can't even be disputed. They're reason enough for me to play Skorne.

I don't think there's any faction I don't like part of. Hell I split a 2 player Hordes box recently and now I'm going to be painting up some Circle if I can ever get off my rear end and pick the brush back up.

And then I'm looking at the new Merc Contract, and Earthbreakers, and I don't know who I am anymore. I just see myself sitting in a room with boxes full of unassembled armies, living in squalor.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

moths posted:

Mutated elves.

KuangMkV
Jan 25, 2003

GEMorris posted:

Mutated elves.

Skorne are a unique race not descended from elves or any others.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

KuangMkV posted:

Skorne are a unique race not descended from elves or any others.

You know PP lies to players about backstory all the time right? Info is presented as the point of view of a faction, not objective truth.

Or you were being sarcastic, in which case: well played sir.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

moths posted:

Definitely not a self hating elven subspecies that are mad about not being uplifted like their haughty cousins and hold a grudge for thousands of years and could be a reason for why elven souls aren't being recycled.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Ohhhh Kuang just got schooled about PP :drat:

KuangMkV
Jan 25, 2003

No, really. We've officially stated a number of times that they are a distinct race. :)

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
CONSPIRACY!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

GEMorris posted:

You know PP lies to players about backstory all the time right? Info is presented as the point of view of a faction, not objective truth.

Or you were being sarcastic, in which case: well played sir.

Most of the backstory isn't presented from anything except an omniscient viewpoint.

KuangMkV
Jan 25, 2003

S.J. posted:

Most of the backstory isn't presented from anything except an omniscient viewpoint.

He's basically right. Faction backgrounds and other related chapters like the nation-oriented sections of Kings, Nations, & Gods are written with mild faction bias. For example, the Border Wars are described in every chapter in KNG, but you only get a holistic and near-omniscient viewpoint of that event if you compare, contrast, and read between the lines of the relevant section in each nation's chapter.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

KuangMkV posted:

He's basically right. Faction backgrounds and other related chapters like the nation-oriented sections of Kings, Nations, & Gods are written with mild faction bias. For example, the Border Wars are described in every chapter in KNG, but you only get a holistic and near-omniscient viewpoint of that event if you compare, contrast, and read between the lines of the relevant section in each nation's chapter.

Oh I get that, I'm just saying there's a big difference between the backstory of say, KNG, and the way Rhupert is presenting it in the main rulebook. It honestly feels more like a faction emphasis rather than bias when reading it.

KuangMkV
Jan 25, 2003

S.J. posted:

Oh I get that, I'm just saying there's a big difference between the backstory of say, KNG, and the way Rhupert is presenting it in the main rulebook. It honestly feels more like a faction emphasis rather than bias when reading it.

Yeah, absolutely. Model entries are different beasts than structural background fiction (faction histories, military force overviews, etc).

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
Honestly, the tendency for all of the elves to be very "Let's shove as much Japan in this as possible," with gigantic Legion/Nyss odachi wielders and ronin aesthetics and Skorne with their katanas, samurai armor, etc., when I look at the two 'distinct races' all I see is one race that split into two a long time ago.

In Star Wars terms, they're Nemodians and Duros. Oh sure, they're separate and distinct now but the idea that they always were just seems wrong even if we're only speaking aesthetically. Hell, around here even the press gangers will tell you that the Nyss are "ronin viking elves from the frozen north who use dragons," that Iosans are "hi-tech power armor elves with space robots," and that the Skorne are "samurai desert elves who worship pain." And after reading the fluff and looking at the figures/art it kinda fits.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

DJ Dizzy posted:

I also vote legion.

Swags posted:

Nyss odachi wielders

Nyss Hunters wield claymores. It says so right on their card. Those are totally claymores, for reals yo. :colbert:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Swags posted:

Honestly, the tendency for all of the elves to be very "Let's shove as much Japan in this as possible," with gigantic Legion/Nyss odachi wielders and ronin aesthetics and Skorne with their katanas, samurai armor, etc., when I look at the two 'distinct races' all I see is one race that split into two a long time ago.

In Star Wars terms, they're Nemodians and Duros. Oh sure, they're separate and distinct now but the idea that they always were just seems wrong even if we're only speaking aesthetically. Hell, around here even the press gangers will tell you that the Nyss are "ronin viking elves from the frozen north who use dragons," that Iosans are "hi-tech power armor elves with space robots," and that the Skorne are "samurai desert elves who worship pain." And after reading the fluff and looking at the figures/art it kinda fits.

The Skorne are samurai desert klingons thank you very much :colbert:

Vulich the Subtle
Nov 25, 2012

Paul is unimpressed by the glories of the Host.

Doug Seacat posted:

Skorne and elves are distinct races, and there is no indication that they are related in any way. They were simply from the same side of the continent (along with Anura, Efaarit, and a few others), just as humans, dwarves, trollkin, ogrun, and gobbers are from western Immoren. The skorne were there when the Lyossan empire was at its height, as a nomadic and barbaric race living in the wastes and conducting raids on outlying elven communities. They survived the cataclysm of the fall of Lyoss and endured great hardship during this period, primarily surviving by taking shelter south of the great mountain range in the middle of eastern Immoren, where their first and oldest city remains. Some bands of skorne continued to harass and waylay the retreating elves who survived this cataclysm and who would eventually settle Ios. The skorne stayed in the east and developed their own civilization in the wake of the cataclysm over the last few thousand years. There is considerable information about this and the timeline of skorne civilization in the Monsternomicon II.

Source: http://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?13235-Nyss-Fluff-and-souls&p=203836&viewfull=1#post203836

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

drat right. Elves aren't awesome enough to be able to tame Titans and Cyclopses and loving Pteryodactls.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Murder all the Skorne, make a full cyclops faction.

Where we're going, we don't need small bases.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

waah posted:

drat right. Elves aren't awesome enough to be able to tame Titans and Cyclopses and loving Pteryodactls.
Remind me, why am I not playing Skorne yet?

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
I really like a lot of Skorne but I can't stand the look of the agonizer or the basilisks. Cyclops guys and dinosaurs are cool and I like several of their warlocks but I don't really like the studio scheme of gross grey mummy skin on them.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!

jodai posted:

I really like a lot of Skorne but I can't stand the look of the agonizer or the basilisks. Cyclops guys and dinosaurs are cool and I like several of their warlocks but I don't really like the studio scheme of gross grey mummy skin on them.

Could always just paint them whatever you want. One guy's basilisks when he came in were painted int he colors that chameleons go when they fight.

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010
Pretty much, all the cool looking Retribution armies ignore the studio scheme.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Retribution is the army with the worst studio scheme, to be fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swags
Dec 9, 2006

HiveCommander posted:

Remind me, why am I not playing Skorne yet?

Yeah. Why aren't you?!

For content: I get the Seacat stuff. I understand the fluff as it's presented. I just think the fluff really conflicts with the reality of the models.

Also, what the gently caress are Efaarit?

• Locked thread