Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
nft.c:15:9 error: 'law' undeclared (first use in this function)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

except, like, it doesn't make it harder? there's literally no way of determining from the Immutable Blockchain if a token was sent legitimately or not. all it shows was a token being sent from address A to address B

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
it doesn't matter really, it's just a way for seth green to back out of something irredeemably stupid

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

except, like, it doesn't make it harder? there's literally no way of determining from the Immutable Blockchain if a token was sent legitimately or not. all it shows was a token being sent from address A to address B
yes, that is the law and/or code

it turns out that most laws like most code is poorly implemented and based on fundamentally flawed assumptions

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

DaTroof posted:

man, does that look dire

What do you wanna bet this whole "Oops my ape got stolen, can't make the show now!" is just trying to gracefully get out of making that poo poo show?

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

e: wrong post, disregard

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
*Seth Green, after watching the trailer for his new show and realising how poo poo it is*

Wow, guys, ha-ha, this is great, but, uh, I just got a text, and my ape was stolen, so now we can't make the show. It's, uh, copyrights, you know. Man, what a shame, really wanted to see this show through, oh well.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Endless Mike posted:

if someone posts "my red FooCorp bicycle was stolen" and then you later buy a red foocorp bike on craigslist, you don't know for sure whether it was actually the stolen one or just a normal secondhand bike. if it later turns out that it was the stolen bike, that could have just been an honest mistake.

if seth green posts "i've been hacked, all my apes gone", and then you buy an ape whose blockchain transaction history shows it leaving seth green's wallet, you are undeniably buying stolen property.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

being poo poo has never stopped seth green doing anything before

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

if someone posts "my red FooCorp bicycle was stolen" and then you later buy a red foocorp bike on craigslist, you don't know for sure whether it was actually the stolen one or just a normal secondhand bike. if it later turns out that it was the stolen bike, that could have just been an honest mistake.

if seth green posts "i've been hacked, all my apes gone", and then you buy an ape whose blockchain transaction history shows it leaving seth green's wallet, you are undeniably buying stolen property.

who’s to say Seth Green didn’t sell the ape himself and lied about it online? does the blockchain show that?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

hi i understand you're having trouble with your sefth green nft. i'm a customer support expert for seth greem so just click this link and i can answer your questions for you

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Do exchanges actually specify who owns every wallet involved in an NFT, though? Isn’t it always just a jumble of letters? You’d have to prove in court that of course anyone would recognize Seth Green’s famous wallet address on sight: jdifirndk-laogifisn-8;73kdkgntn-$,&:’fbv🤠kdjdi

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Pigbuster posted:

Do exchanges actually specify who owns every wallet involved in an NFT, though? Isn’t it always just a jumble of letters? You’d have to prove in court that of course anyone would recognize Seth Green’s famous wallet address on sight: jdifirndk-laogifisn-8;73kdkgntn-$,&:’fbv🤠kdjdi

if they comply with kyc (lol) shouldn't they have PII associated with every account, so if a trade is made through an exchange, they should be able to identify the parties

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
i think in this case its more that what's the point of owning an enefftee if no one else knows you own it so lots of people link their profile on their social media of choice

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

right, but in this specific instance, he didn't announce all my apes gone until after darkwing84 apparently bought it, so unless he can be proven to be known to the hacker, there's no way to prove he in any way knew he was buying a stolen receipt.

if darkwing84 sells it to someone else, sure that may be more difficult to claim ignorance, but that still brings the greater point that there's no distinguishing between an honest sale and an illegitimate one beyond potentially having PII records, i suppose, assuming the transfer was done off-chain

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
none of that really matters anyway, they don't own jack poo poo. whoever originally created the horrible ape just confers derivative rights to it, not total ownership. under current law they can only use it in defined scenarios (and possibly pay royalties to the creator), they don't own it

yeah yeah the blockchain says they do. the actual law (not code!) says they don't

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

there's also bots that are poised to buy up any of the apes the second they hit the market

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i'm just gonna laugh at all of seth green's apes....gone

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Endless Mike posted:

i'm just gonna laugh at all of seth green's apes....gone

the best part is it sounds like a robot chicken parody of nft owners

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Seth green thought he owned his nfts
but in a way I guess they owned him

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

"dad all my apes gone"

"alright zip it."

"but my ap-"

"zip it."

"look they wer-"

"ziiiip."

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
I’ve been thinking about proving nft ownership, like if your twitter av had to be a verified nft the only way you could link accounts would be to send twitter a fraction of penny from your wallet, which could cost several dollars and you’d have to do that for every site that verified nfts

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Perplx posted:

I’ve been thinking about proving nft ownership, like if your twitter av had to be a verified nft the only way you could link accounts would be to send twitter a fraction of penny from your wallet, which could cost several dollars and you’d have to do that for every site that verified nfts

twitter literally has this feature because there are some dumb crypto dorks in management. verified nfts get a hexagonal border instead of a square one
and no it doesn't require sending pennies
public-key cryptography is pretty cool. you can prove you own the private key to a wallet address without actually revealing the key or touching the blockchain

im glad satoshi nakamoto invented cryptography

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

in this case I think the thief flipped the ape before seth even noticed it was gone, so there was no way for the buyer to know

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

"Good"

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Perplx posted:

I’ve been thinking about proving nft ownership,

well that's a colossal waste of your time. there are so many more worthwhile things you could be thinking about, like how amberpos is superior, or tubgirl

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Weatherman posted:

well that's a colossal waste of your time. there are so many more worthwhile things you could be thinking about, like how

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
:allears:

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
code:
Python 3.8.0 (tags/v3.8.0:fa919fd, Oct 14 2019, 19:37:50) [MSC v.1916 64 bit (AMD64)] on win32
>>> code = "LOL"
>>> law = "LMAO"
>>> code is law
False

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Paladinus posted:

*Seth Green, after watching the trailer for his new show and realising how poo poo it is*

Wow, guys, ha-ha, this is great, but, uh, I just got a text, and my ape was stolen, so now we can't make the show. It's, uh, copyrights, you know. Man, what a shame, really wanted to see this show through, oh well.

the triticum guzzler copypaste but it's for ape nfts not doobie kickstarters

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Shame Boy posted:

"dad all my apes gone"

"alright zip it."

"but my ap-"

"zip it."

"look they wer-"

"ziiiip."

"there's a good NFT show on skinemax"

"so this is what you want to do with your life?"

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/buttcoin/status/1529335472463310848?s=21&t=29rn02T3mxmVqVESYBYylA

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/KateClarkTweets/status/1529156984888430592?s=20&t=Zh2vJTou1ZDmYih38VSllQ
lmao

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Beeftweeter posted:

none of that really matters anyway, they don't own jack poo poo. whoever originally created the horrible ape just confers derivative rights to it, not total ownership. under current law they can only use it in defined scenarios (and possibly pay royalties to the creator), they don't own it

yeah yeah the blockchain says they do. the actual law (not code!) says they don't

whats really funny is according to legal eagle if seth bought the ape second hand, the ape men can turn around the moment the show makes a profit and sue the pants off him because they aren't in privy

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

chaosbreather posted:

whats really funny is according to legal eagle if seth bought the ape second hand, the ape men can turn around the moment the show makes a profit and sue the pants off him because they aren't in privy

what if he buys it back from the people that stole it from him

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

chaosbreather posted:

this show is totally in a privy

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Shame Boy posted:

what if he buys it back from the people that stole it from him

if the people who stole it were the ape club klan or whatever then maybe, otherwise nah

the way he explained it / i understood it is:

you can buy a thing with conditions and restrictions other legal goodies baked into the sales contract. you give the guy money, you entered into that contract.

but the first sale doctrine means that if you buy a thing from someone else, you only get the thing. you can't sell them the fact that you're in a contractual relationship with (in privy with; tee hee) someone else, because then they would be in a contractual relationship with someone they never interacted with, which is just not a thing.

so an nft is like a package of contractual rights, dubious legal title and a blockchain record which the in group pretends is always in lock-step but in reality gets detached almost immediately, and that apparently makes this potentially extremely funny with DAOs

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

https://twitter.com/SethGreen/status/1529191356660215808

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

while you were having premarital sex i was studying copyright law

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i also really like how he thinks legal precedent is set via "debates" :allears: