Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

lmao just who the gently caress is Ish anyways

He's been everywhere and knows everyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

dyzzy posted:

Of course it was breathgate, lol

Breathghazi was the original sin

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Zeroisanumber posted:

It's nice to see Ish but 99% of the time we learn all of the important things he has to tell us within the first five minutes and spend the rest of the day getting nothing pertinent and drinking cider.

Unironically this, spend some time drinking with Ish and just chilling doing things Ish likes after question time. He puts up with a lot of our BS.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
A, just leave he's not giving us anything useful.

quote:

The weapons we shall forge shall send the Detestable things running! Ideally in many pieces, dispatching even more with the shrapnel

Have we ever heard the term shrapnel before?

Bob Tuskins
Jul 27, 2007

I couldn't imagine life without the beautiful sight of the green horde
Changing from D to E,
I thought D included everything else

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Just throwing it out there as a reminder. Nikall politely asked us not to share that we got this prophecy and Ishamal is the person who has explicitly told us not to go against the house of El. Why would we immediately narc on Nikall and tell Ish we went against the house of El by going in Carine tower? What's the upside? what do you want from him? Why do folks think he will answer questions about these topics?

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Outrail posted:

A, just leave he's not giving us anything useful.

Have we ever heard the term shrapnel before?

Time to forge the Holy Hand Grenade.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Makes sense all the various ‘gates are behind a literal citrus gate

thread arguments are just when the librarian-Enkidels have to open up the room to air it out

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

B. I don't see any reason to hide Chorazon from him given that it was a genuine accident, that everything we tell him is in confidence, that he often knows when we lie to him, and that he's not actually a Tudiya-style isolationist.

For Carine... I'm pretty sure that before we set out he basically told us not to let the priests see us sneaking in to see Amos, so I think he is already at least OK enough with going against the house of El that this isn't going to be Chaitgate Mark II. At the same time, this might be one of those things he doesn't want to officially know about.

As for the prophecy, I think Cornuto is correct that we're allowed to reveal the message's existence but not its contents. At the same time, I think revealing its contents would be a fantastically bad idea whether Ish wants us to or not, and there's a chance telling him about the message might effectively force him to ask us about it. ("I've had a really interesting message from another god that I promised not to tell you about" is a phrase to send shivers down Jael's spine...) I'm also pretty sure that message doesn't contain anything the PtB don't already know, and that Nikall had other reasons for asking us to keep it secret.

e: Also, note Ish's phrasing there. It may have been Breathgate, and that explanation still doesn't really gel with Amos refusing to tell us what it was. (Unless what he saw is whatever modification gave us the well, of course...)

pumpinglemma fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 4, 2020

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Butt Discussin posted:

Bring home Ishamal some of The Best Great City Fruit Juice/Fruit cuttings/Wine to sip as he ignores our questions about our dreams

Give Ishamal his gifts

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

It’s not breathgate it’s Sandwiches imo. Us nearly going hunger might satisfy the fear part but I think he knows that we’d be locked up if that happened like Amok’s kids. 7birb is probably a bit of an intel blackout so Amos doesn’t know to look there and was previously ignorant. He knows who 7birb actually is and is scared that they have a society with gunpowder, etc.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

B
C
obliquely, about the fact they had something for me but nothing about the specific message

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Also can he ID the seeds/plants for us, so we don’t sow Kadmonim kudzu

and Ish, do I have the Tree of Woe growing out in my field?

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 4, 2020

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Hey Ish, think I could have beaten the Udug? It sounded really cool.

At this point I don't really expect answers, I just think this is the sort of casual banter Enkidel would do.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Ish, you're a master carpenter and have literally travelled the world. Do you know where wood strong enough for slingapults grows?

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Does a [¿¿Unknown Unit of Non-Trivial-Distance??] extend from Kavodel to Kitron? Do you have any idea how far that is?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Zodiac5000 posted:

Just throwing it out there as a reminder. Nikall politely asked us not to share that we got this prophecy and Ishamal is the person who has explicitly told us not to go against the house of El. Why would we immediately narc on Nikall and tell Ish we went against the house of El by going in Carine tower? What's the upside? what do you want from him? Why do folks think he will answer questions about these topics?

This.

Unless we have a clear beneficial outcome don;t bother info dropping to people in our lives. Have we learnt nothing from chaitgate?

We haven't

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Ish told us not to go against the house of El because it's bad policy, but I'm not sure he thinks it's the worst thing.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Oh, sure, I think he's probably more on our side on some things than not, but the more we shove stuff in his face the less benign neglect he can give us.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Maybe what horrified all the being's that poke around our head about Breathgate isn't that we ate our flute and caused an Angel to ascend beyond this plane in our youthful naivety, but that we managed to stop turning into an abomination where all others have failed.

Imagine being Amok, literally Mr. Perfect, and realizing that wait no, turns out I *didn't* have to lock all my stark raving mad children in the ground for ten thousand years, hearing their wails and gnashing of teeth as I impotently slept away the aeons in parental anguish.

Resist the eternal hunger.
Prepare for times of hardship.
El Ha Melech, Kol Ha Olam.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

TK-42-1 posted:

It’s not breathgate it’s Sandwiches imo. Us nearly going hunger might satisfy the fear part but I think he knows that we’d be locked up if that happened like Amok’s kids. 7birb is probably a bit of an intel blackout so Amos doesn’t know to look there and was previously ignorant. He knows who 7birb actually is and is scared that they have a society with gunpowder, etc.

Yeah, I could buy that and it's also "near the edge of the mountains". :v:

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

Maybe what horrified all the being's that poke around our head about Breathgate isn't that we ate our flute and caused an Angel to ascend beyond this plane in our youthful naivety, but that we managed to stop turning into an abomination where all others have failed.

Imagine being Amok, literally Mr. Perfect, and realizing that wait no, turns out I *didn't* have to lock all my stark raving mad children in the ground for ten thousand years, hearing their wails and gnashing of teeth as I impotently slept away the aeons in parental anguish.

Resist the eternal hunger.
Prepare for times of hardship.
El Ha Melech, Kol Ha Olam.

or that, although it's possible we can specifically do that because we're Something A Bit Different

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ish is what we want to be, in the sense that he's likely allied with the Church without being subordinate to them.

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Take your Thralls and dive back into the depths! Give us the meat and GO!
Grimey Drawer

Tsyni posted:

Ish told us not to go against the house of El because it's bad policy, but I'm not sure he thinks it's the worst thing.

Yeah.

He did just tell us not to completely trust Everstrike—a divine gift from El. There’s definitely a degree of skepticism there. Or at least the recognition that our interests and El’s (and not just the house of El) don’t entirely align which might be the more shocking revelation.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Boonoo posted:

Yeah.

He did just tell us not to completely trust Everstrike—a divine gift from El. There’s definitely a degree of skepticism there. Or at least the recognition that our interests and El’s (and not just the house of El) don’t entirely align which might be the more shocking revelation.

Thing is, DID we get Everstrike direct from El?
I mean, we've had a direct line to him before, and were slightly more aware in our fugue state.

Or more likely, it's more of a gift from a Melachim, maybe even a high-ranking one like whoever the patron Melachim of the forge is.

Either way, I don't think Ish was trying to imply any sort of ill intent. It's just a matter of the fact that like Intelligent Items from D&D, Everstrike has its own single-minded goals and motivations.
It has said so itself, it wants to create great works in order to slay the foes of El. It may have safeguards put in to keep itself from killing us, but, it's still singlemindedly enthusiastic about doing one thing and one thing only.

Think of it like a very playful dog that you take to the park. Letting it play is obviously good and right, but, you also have to make sure that it doesn't go and slip it's leash or something potentially dangerous like that.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

Did you piss someone off to get that avatar, and (if so) do you want a new one?

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Boonoo posted:

Yeah.

I don't think it's a matter of distrust at all, or anything malicious. More like it's exactly what he told us, that what ES considers a reasonable expenditure isn't what Enkidel would or should. As far as ES knows we have massive limitless reserves with which to create glories, or possibly in his opinion expending ??? in the service of creation is simply the best thing to do ever

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Yeah, I think you're right Victis. If you asked ES "How much of my well should I spend on this piece of work?" ES would say "To glorify your creator you should spend literally every goddamn drop you can."

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Double post to change vote From A to B.

Thinking on it, gently caress Chorazin, gently caress all those assholes, and I want to tell ish we did it because I loving hate them so much. The other stuff is still dumb to talk about but sure, Chorazin is good times.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
If we must say anything to Ish about Chorizan is should in its entirety be "Oh yeah, and I yelled at a guy in Chorizan. They got pretty upset."

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Take your Thralls and dive back into the depths! Give us the meat and GO!
Grimey Drawer
To the points above, I didn’t mean to imply that Ish was suggesting there could be ill intent with Ever Strike, just that we shouldn’t blindly follow the advice of this sentient divine gift.

I think his letting us know that its (and by extension its creator’s) purposes weren’t necessarily our own is important.

It struck me as a suggestion that would be seen by literally anyone else in our society as grossly heretical.

Ubern00b
Nov 4, 2009
Breathgate ? Pretty sure he meant mosquitoes.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Ubern00b posted:

Breathgate ? Pretty sure he meant mosquitoes.

See that's what I thought, I thought maybe he could somehow see sandwiches even if it was deleted

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Cornuto posted:

Did you piss someone off to get that avatar, and (if so) do you want a new one?

Yeah, there's some shithead in the General Election thread who has pretty much bought Lowtax a hundred new spines buying lovely avatars for people who disagree with them.

I appreciate the offer, but, I'll get it replaced with a gang tag soon enough.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Amos was shocked that Enkidel fell to hunger in a temper tantrum only to have an angel feed him their own nephesh (which for a non-physical being might as well be their flesh) to reverse it. It’s bizarre that an immortal being sacrificed themself in such a heretical fashion and that El didn’t smite the angel-eater but instead seemed to favor them while ignoring Amos’ millenia of unceasing piety. It doesn’t fit into Amos’ view of El or of the world.

Amos wouldn’t have his mind blown by muskets. That dude could level a city in an afternoon. The Sandwiches seem like amateurs on the pre-Ur stage. Ur appears to be littered with abandoned giant robots and hidden nuclear powers.

I wonder if part of Enkidel’s powerset isn’t innate but was instead absorbed from Asahel. When Enkidel enters a fugue maybe he is being guided by Asahel’s undigested memories. We know from experiments that concentrated soulstuff appears to be influenced by what it was before as with the blue orbs and the eagle arrows. We’ve seen how the giants’ victims appeared to retain integrity for decades (centuries?) after their consumption.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
I mean, if we told Ish about sneaking into Amos' temple i don't see why we WOULDN'T tell him about sneaking into Carine's temple. Also, he already knows we did it. But meh, it will only take a few seconds to hear him say *sips*

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Mr. Nemo posted:

I mean, if we told Ish about sneaking into Amos' temple i don't see why we WOULDN'T tell him about sneaking into Carine's temple. Also, he already knows we did it. But meh, it will only take a few seconds to hear him say *sips*

Ish seems to operate on a lot of "Don't ask, don't tell.", For lack of a better phrase.

He may know that we did it, but as long as we don't tell him, then he has plausible deniability.
It's like when we tried to show him the Eagle Arrow and he Noped on away from us every time. He doesn't have to report on us if we don't tell him about what we did.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

the_steve posted:

Ish seems to operate on a lot of "Don't ask, don't tell.", For lack of a better phrase.

He may know that we did it, but as long as we don't tell him, then he has plausible deniability.
It's like when we tried to show him the Eagle Arrow and he Noped on away from us every time. He doesn't have to report on us if we don't tell him about what we did.

Yeah, exactly.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Blasphemaster posted:

Time to forge the Holy Hand Grenade.

same

but I feel like putting any ??? into anything we make is a One Ring situation where we're directly permanently putting some of our power into an object. We should start off slow as hell with normal items, especially while we have a low ability to gauge how much is way too much and how much is very little.

But this is making me sip:

Ishmal posted:

Not that you would have ever tried to forge anything but Blooded bronze and mundane things in the past,

So what about blooded bronze makes it more than mundane?

Dr Cheesequake
Dec 23, 2008

I dream of humans and goblins co-existing peacefully
C

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

SniperWoreConverse posted:

same

but I feel like putting any ??? into anything we make is a One Ring situation where we're directly permanently putting some of our power into an object. We should start off slow as hell with normal items, especially while we have a low ability to gauge how much is way too much and how much is very little.

But this is making me sip:

So what about blooded bronze makes it more than mundane?

he also directly and explicitly acknowledged the risk of us turning into a rampaging monster when talking about Everystrike which I'm not sure has happened before