Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Methanar posted:

That's a good way to root out the hardcoded machines. If you don't care you could always just assign the old IP to the new server

That's one heck of a subnet mask

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Waiting for the details to be finalized, but should :yotj: just in time for the new year. Company's headquartered in SV, but I'll be working in my current region.

20k base pay raise, 13% annual bonus, and another 29k/yr over four years in equity (paid up front, vesting over 4 years, with more RSUs given each year for performance) for a roughly 50% increase in total compensation.

psydude fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 21, 2016

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Thanks for all the tips regarding DC decommissioning guys.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

psydude posted:

Waiting for the details to be finalized, but should :yotj: just in time for the new year. Company's headquartered in SV, but I'll be working in my current region.

20k base pay raise, 13% annual bonus, and another 29k/yr over four years in equity (paid up front, vesting over 4 years, with more RSUs given each year for performance) for a roughly 50% increase in total compensation.

Very nice! Congrats dude!

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

drat, grats psydude. Didn't you just move into your current role within the last year or two? Anyway, good luck and a good reminder to never stop moving up.

I'll probably need to start poking around within the next year or two. My job is great but there is no path for advancement unless my boss gets hit by a bus.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Yeah I took my previous position two years ago. I moved over to presales this month in the same company because there was really nowhere for me to go on the consulting side (my team lead was awesome and they worked hard to retain him, and he deserved it). Wasn't even really trying to leave either (I had turned down two offers because the work didn't seem any better or more interesting than what I was already doing), but I guess that put me in a better place to make the decision when these guys swooped in.

psydude fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 21, 2016

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Congrats

owDAWG
May 18, 2008

orange sky posted:

Thanks for all the tips regarding DC decommissioning guys.

I would always have the replacement server on the same subnet with a temporary address as the server I am replacing it with so it gets the old server its replacing IP address. Keeping the same IP address is useful for not only hardcoded applications and firewall rules(LDAP/S connections from the DMZ) but AD integrated DNS and WINS(if you have the misfortune of still supporting it).

So decommission the old server first then put the new server in its place with the IP address of the old server.

Also be sure to transfer off any FSMO roles before decommissioning.

Before you put a 2012 R2 DC out there update your schema on a 2008 R2 server with the NIC disabled with the schema and infrastructure master roles. If the schema update fails you can just dump the 2008 R2 server and seize the 2 roles on one of the other 2008 R2 DC's.

AD Replication Status Tool is your friend.

owDAWG fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 21, 2016

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

MF_James posted:

Is WGU still a reputable and useful place to go? I'm finally at a point in my life where finishing my degree is a possibility and I'd like to get started on that, and I'd like to focus on career stuff while doing so.
Absolutely it is. I'm a scant few months from finishing mine there.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Just to make sure, signing an employment contract in an at-will state means you can still change your mind at any point regardless of the contract specifying that, right?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Just to make sure, signing an employment contract in an at-will state means you can still change your mind at any point regardless of the contract specifying that, right?
Depends on what state you live in.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

anthonypants posted:

Depends on what state you live in.

And the specific wording of the contract.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

psydude posted:

I use nano over VI because it makes linux nerds angry and always prompts them to say "BUT ONCE YOU GET USED TO IT IT'S JUST SO MUCH FASTER!"

I am a "Senior Devops Engineer" and I use nano 99% of the time. If it's that many changes I drop back and deploy the changes to git and create a new branch and tag the instance to override with that branch until I merge it to master. Editing masterpieces on a box is a waste of time and leads to all the headaches that I try and prevent.

However people who use nohup in lieu of something like tmux or screen are the scum of the earth.

Also cron is not a management framework.

Edit: I took two weeks to head off to Europe for some vacation, and I am watching the embers of a tire fire form because the devs are doing manual deploys. There is mention of an installation checklist and upgrade guide, and I need to jump in now to head this off. It's somewhat problematic to deal with as these guys all come from a government consulting background and really like to fight me when it comes to automation or packaging. It's also annoying to me that I've had to fall back into letting them struggle because they don't want to invest the time to do it right in the first place, and I can't get them to do anything until they learn on their own.

freeasinbeer fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 22, 2016

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I just got a raise too. I'm now making more than double what I did two years ago, doing work I actually like. Why didn't I get into IT 15 years ago???

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

Punkbob posted:

I am a "Senior Devops Engineer" and I use nano 99% of the time.

I use VI because when I was a junior admin back in the day my senior admin/net engineer boss slapped me a lot and said I would never be
a real admin if I did not know how to use VI.

I remember being happy with nano to be honest but I was a young greenhorn so who was I to argue.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

22 Eargesplitten posted:

As i understand you can always leave, but they can have penalties written into your contact. What those penalties can be would vary by state.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

The problem with employment contracts, much like non-competes, is that the provisions may not be legally enforceable, but the mere threat of being taken to court by a company with far more resources than you can be enough to make them effectively binding.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

insidius posted:

I use VI because when I was a junior admin back in the day my senior admin/net engineer boss slapped me a lot and said I would never be
a real admin if I did not know how to use VI.

I remember being happy with nano to be honest but I was a young greenhorn so who was I to argue.

Yeah I can use VI, but if it's one line that needs changing for debug I am gonna jump into nano most of the time. Anything beyond that I use atom and push to git where all my infra sits. I think making massive edits on a box is a huge red flag to me and that people arguing over console text editors are missing the point. You shouldn't need all those things unless you are truly using it as an IDE and if you are then why are you? It's something that I battle everyday as a legacy of bad choices made by devs.

Maybe if I dived head first back into tilling desktops I'd reconsider, but for now nano suffices for most jobs.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

Punkbob posted:

I think making massive edits on a box is a huge red flag to me and that people arguing over console text editors are missing the point.

Yeah when I was younger and more excited about my work I used to think sitting in a console for hours editing text was an amazing journey into fun land. If I even have to login now and touch a text editor I or someone in my team probably screwed up and is now doing bad things.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I claim to use emacs just to start arguments.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
So bored.. I didn't really work on anything for the first 4 hours i was here and then I decided to put together a excel checksheet for a month-end process we do. It even has VB to display or hide cells based on the contents of other cells :v:

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
code:
echo "I edit my text files with echo" >> ShitPost

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
What the gently caress is wrong with using Wordpad to edit your text files?

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Wizard of the Deep posted:

That you're using Windows.

Better edit: That you aren't using TextEdit

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

why would you ever use wordpad of all things? Go get notepad++ and be a boss.

I prefer regular notepad over wordpad as well.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

MF_James posted:

Classified government networks where even getting Notepad++ takes an act of god and 6 months.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Wizard of the Deep posted:

It adds non-text characters and may potentially break a while host of things if executed as a script.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

MF_James posted:

Wordpad knows what to do if the file only has a LF or CR instead of LF+CR.

Punkbob posted:

That you're using Windows.

Brutal

Tab8715 posted:

It adds non-text characters and may potentially break a while host of things if executed as a script.

Personally I use Microsoft Word as my IDE.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

psydude posted:

Classified government networks where even getting Notepad++ takes an act of god and 6 months.

I would stab myself.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Tab8715 posted:

Bingo! I got used to notepad from coding in college because wordpad did weird poo poo to my text.

v-- eh I never looked into it because it didn't really matter, I don't really see the difference if you're making it notepad anyway (I guess maybe you still get spell check or something?), but since switching ot notepad++ I'll never look at another simple text editor.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Dec 22, 2016

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

You can turn off the rich text poo poo in Wordpad and just use it as a fancy notepad.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah honestly run as fast as you can from classified work, it's made for authoritarians who like to sniff their own farts and do things the wrong way.

It's not worth the extra money and Silicon Valley pays better.

Edit: phoneshitposting

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Punkbob posted:

Yeah honestly run as fast as you can from classified work, it's made for authoritarians who like to sniff their own farts and do things the wrong way.

Good benefits tho

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Punkbob posted:

I literally just got an offer from a Silicon Valley company to go do their dirty work for classified customers. Pays far better than any soulless DC-area government contractor ever would.

owDAWG
May 18, 2008

big money big clit posted:

The problem with employment contracts, much like non-competes, is that the provisions may not be legally enforceable, but the mere threat of being taken to court by a company with far more resources than you can be enough to make them effectively binding.

They shouldn't be legally enforceable, but by signing them means a judge has to at least look at the agreement in court and have your new employer fire you due to the hassle of being drawn into a legal fight with your prior company. I have seen this happen first hand. In a protracted legal battle your prior company will lose but it might take several months.

I have seen a noncompete list every major company in the US and the logic behind it made it look somewhat plausible.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

psydude posted:

I literally just got an offer from a Silicon Valley company to go do their dirty work for classified customers. Pays far better than any soulless DC-area government contractor ever would.

I don't think you're supposed to tell people you accepted a job as a corporate-paid hitman :ohdear:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I don't think you're supposed to tell people you accepted a job as a corporate-paid hitman :ohdear:

Sweet street samurai gig!

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

RFC2324 posted:

Good benefits tho

Are they even though? Unless you're an actual govvie it seemed like some extra pay with none of their benefits, working on site where your corporate office doesn't give you anything except basic healthcare. It might of gotten better since I left that world, but it wasn't great.

psydude posted:

Good luck. I am currently at a startup in the healthcare space, staffed by former NSA contractors and it drains me dealing with it all. While it's not exactly classified work it feels like it each time I see some sort of authorization to connect paperwork, and getting my coworkers to unlearn the bad habits they picked up is maddening.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Punkbob posted:

Are they even though? Unless you're an actual govvie it seemed like some extra pay with none of their benefits, working on site where your corporate office doesn't give you anything except basic healthcare. It might of gotten better since I left that world, but it wasn't great.

Good luck. I am currently at a startup in the healthcare space, staffed by former NSA contractors and it drains me dealing with it all. While it's not exactly classified work it feels like it each time I see some sort of authorization to connect paperwork, and getting my coworkers to unlearn the bad habits they picked up is maddening.

My bad, misread it as government employee not contractor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Re: text editor chat

I used to think that I would never have a need to modify my text editor. Last month I was proven wrong. Twice.