Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

really israel could slaughter all these children without our help, I just didn't want to miss out on the chance to participate
Holy poo poo it's the guy who did that awesome video on old lamps that I watched last year. I liked that video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Motronic posted:

Okay, he's doing dishwasher content again on Technology Connections. Seems like this thread should get notified.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHP942Livy0

gently caress. Yes. Under 30 minutes? Game changer. I couldn't send those videos to anyone before!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I've been having trouble getting contractors to answer my calls. The contractor who does, and who I am friends with, tells me to show up in the office of the HVAC company, don't just call.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’m glad to see some roofing talk on the last page, as that’s the exact thing I came to ask about!

I have a grant that’ll pay a good chunk of replacing mine a new tiled one which is good, but even for my lil 1000 sq ft house the quotes I’ve all got are gonna sting me hard.

My insurance, which in Florida right now is an absolute nightmare and has quadrupled in the last 6 years, lovingly told me that replacing my end of life roof will shave off about $200 of my yearly premium, great.

So on the extras for my quote I have the following

quote:

Install tapered insulation for positive water drainage on the flat roof. ADD: $4,900.00

Install right angle gusset (clip) to upgrade the roof to wall connection. ADD: $9,750.00

So I’ve confirmed with them the clips don’t have to be done by them or at the time of install, so I can take $10k off. Insurance said it would improve things by around $2,000 a year so seems like something worthwhile in the long run as my mother in law believes shopping around this can be done far cheaper.

My query is about the tapered insulation, they said that one does need to be done by then and at the time of install. Insurance says it’ll improve things a little bit, but not like the clips. MIL again things this should be cheaper and someone told her it would be an advisable thing to have.

Does the amount sound reasonable? Is it something I should have done given I won’t have the ability to after? Naturally in Florida there is a lot of weather, so it feels like something I need to bite the bullet on. Any experience and knowledge welcome!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I think I need solar but everyone I talk with says something different.

Some say buy outright

Some say lease

Some say it’s only worth it if your average bill is over XX a month.

I know calling random solar company is just asking for trouble because they just want to sell their poo poo and can be like car salesmen.

Is there an actual good resource to decide if getting solar is worth it? I’m in Los Angeles so sun isn’t an issue it’s just everything else that goes along with it is doing my head in.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Pre-NEM3.0, I would have for sure said solar in CA was worth it assuming you had enough roof area facing the right direction. Under the new rules, the math gets a lot funnier and I believe drives you towards batteries to maximize your return.

Regardless, I don't think leasing is ever the right option.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

ROJO posted:

Pre-NEM3.0, I would have for sure said solar in CA was worth it assuming you had enough roof area facing the right direction. Under the new rules, the math gets a lot funnier and I believe drives you towards batteries to maximize your return. I'm not much help though, because I am only familiar with NEM2.0.

Regardless, I don't think leasing is ever the right option. I would never want leased equipment attached to the structure I own.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Selling a house with leased solar might have an impact on the sales price/audience

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ROJO posted:

Pre-NEM3.0, I would have for sure said solar in CA was worth it assuming you had enough roof area facing the right direction. Under the new rules, the math gets a lot funnier and I believe drives you towards batteries to maximize your return.

Regardless, I don't think leasing is ever the right option.

Yeah I think NME 3.0 throws a wrench into it.

Most systems I’ve looked at are including batteries now as well.

A few people who lease say it’s great because they don’t have any responsibility for the poo poo. The company monitors it and fixes it if there’s an issue.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Selling a house with leased solar might have an impact on the sales price/audience

Yeah afaik you have to pay off the lease before you sell.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I’m glad to see some roofing talk on the last page, as that’s the exact thing I came to ask about!

My query is about the tapered insulation, they said that one does need to be done by then and at the time of install. Insurance says it’ll improve things a little bit, but not like the clips. MIL again things this should be cheaper and someone told her it would be an advisable thing to have.

Does the amount sound reasonable? Is it something I should have done given I won’t have the ability to after? Naturally in Florida there is a lot of weather, so it feels like something I need to bite the bullet on. Any experience and knowledge welcome!

I only have second hand experience with flat roofs, but if that tapered insulation is going to give a small slope to the flat portion of your roof and prevent pooling, I would absolutely recommend it (provided it's not creating more pools elsewhere). Standing water WILL find its way through the roofing system so efforts to prevent pools are generally worthwhile.

This insulation is essentially going to be part of the structure of your roof, so it's not something you can add afterwards or sub out. It will go under the waterproof membrane and needs to be sealed in just as well as the flat roof would be, and bonded to the decking so water can't get underneath it.

I can't speak to the comparative costs, unfortunately, and it's a large chunk of money. It will make leaks less likely, but not impossible. There's the side benefit of a little bit more insulation on the roof, but probably not enough to move the cooling cost needle. It's very tough to quantify the value of fewer future problems since you don't know the frequency or severity of the problems you've prevented. If I owned a flat roof and I had the resources I would absolutely do the extra slope. If it was sloped insulation vs. maxing out my IRA for the year, I might roll the dice and forego the extra mile.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Flat roofs are awful, especially in a place like Florida. They're so drat leak prone. Source: lived in various houses with flat roofs in Florida

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah afaik you have to pay off the lease before you sell.
I looked at several houses that had outstanding leases and they are transferrable on sale. They were a big turnoff for us, especially leases that didn't include a buy-out option.

NEM 3.0 definitely reduces the incentive but I think it could still be worth doing a solar-only option if it is small enough to offset your peak usage in the summer during AC season. Anything big enough to generate excess power to the grid is pretty worthless.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I also want to do solar on my house in Michigan since I have a nice south-facing roof that is almost entirely unobstructed, haven't decided yet if I want to save up for a while or finance something. I'm pretty sure I want to do batteries since most of the appeal for me is avoiding outages and reducing or eliminating my reliance on the grid.

I want to get a heat pump too and get off my gas furnace, natural gas is mega cheap here but that's not guaranteed to be true forever.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

spf3million posted:

I looked at several houses that had outstanding leases and they are transferrable on sale. They were a big turnoff for us, especially leases that didn't include a buy-out option.

NEM 3.0 definitely reduces the incentive but I think it could still be worth doing a solar-only option if it is small enough to offset your peak usage in the summer during AC season. Anything big enough to generate excess power to the grid is pretty worthless.

Yeah I think my biggest thing would just having a consistent bill no matter the time of year. Like if it’s a long hot summer I wouldn’t have to worry about my bill being through the roof.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I just need like 7000w so I can run the AC all day and not worry about the bill. And during the winter, run a space heater in my office. Or a mini split or whatever. What should be a $250 bill in Texas is more than double that here in California despite most of the energy being from hydro and solar during the day

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Yeah I just need like 7000w so I can run the AC all day and not worry about the bill. And during the winter, run a space heater in my office. Or a mini split or whatever. What should be a $250 bill in Texas is more than double that here in California despite most of the energy being from hydro and solar during the day

Yup that’s where I’m at.

I’m probably going to get switched to an overnight schedule soon so I’ll be sleeping during the day and the ac is a must for that.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
What's the best kind of faucet? We are in the beginnings of a kitchen remodel and it's like a hundred decisions I have to make and I swear to God if there wasn't mold in my cabinets I would just give up right now because there are so many freaking faucets ahhhhhh

yello
Nov 28, 2000

Jesus Fucking Christ I posted in a stupid GBS avatar thread and some piece of shit saddled me with this spiteful nightmare fuel.
Grimey Drawer

moana posted:

What's the best kind of faucet? We are in the beginnings of a kitchen remodel and it's like a hundred decisions I have to make and I swear to God if there wasn't mold in my cabinets I would just give up right now because there are so many freaking faucets ahhhhhh

I installed a Moen in our kitchen last year when we remodeled and it still seems great, very happy with it.

This one. It was easy to get a matching air gap if you need one. Stupid 60 year old Johnson Tee was a total corroded mess and they never even installed the exterior cap. How did nobody notice that for decades?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I don't know, but I've always wanted to try one of these "shield spray" faucets

https://www.deltafaucet.com/shieldspray

Basically it fires a high pressure line of water down the center, but also fires a... Bowl of laminar flow water around it, which absorbs all the back spray

No idea how it works IRL but seems like a neat idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOgjbsMa0qo

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Hadlock posted:

Basically it fires a high pressure line of water down the center, but also fires a... Bowl of laminar flow water around it, which absorbs all the back spray

Love this on my sink. I don't think I'd get another faucet without it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hadlock posted:

That's really interesting. Not enough to replace a faucet, but enough to not buy a new one without it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Tricky Ed posted:

I only have second hand experience with flat roofs, but if that tapered insulation is going to give a small slope to the flat portion of your roof and prevent pooling, I would absolutely recommend it (provided it's not creating more pools elsewhere). Standing water WILL find its way through the roofing system so efforts to prevent pools are generally worthwhile.

Yeah it’s super frustrating as the flat part is the little porch area and car port (and a small area at the back which I’m not sure if they’re covering, I doubt it which is a shame as it’s hosed too ha!)

The previous owner definitely hosed things up and compromise the seal, so I think paying for it and dealing is the smart choice if I don’t want to mess around with this stuff before too long again.

Thanks both!

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Hadlock posted:

Oh man, my kitchen faucet might need replacing soon and this might be the ticket. I got to visit Delta's R&D facility in Indianapolis back in 2012 or so and was really impressed with their approach to things. Since then I tend to buy Delta stuff and haven't been disappointed yet.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Hadlock posted:

That guy rubs off as an insufferable goon at first, but he produces alarmingly high quality content if you can grit your teeth through the first minute or two

His video on GE flash bulbs is quite good. I'm not into weed but that seems like pretty good blazing material especially the slow motion stuff

Further edit: he has an alarmingly deep dive on popcorn mode for microwaves

The impression I always get is that he's one of those folks who like to fiddle with poo poo so he doesn't consider having to fiddle with poo poo to be a negative. As a result he's overly dismissive of paying a bit more for convenience.

I'm 100% onboard with hating the detergent pod takeover though. It is legit hard to find regular powder now.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

The impression I always get is that he's one of those folks who like to fiddle with poo poo so he doesn't consider having to fiddle with poo poo to be a negative. As a result he's overly dismissive of paying a bit more for convenience.

100%, and this is made oibvious when he's talking about min maxing heat pump sizing and being all "you can run some electric space heaters for those 5 or 6 days of the year when this is too small" and I'm like "NO!".

But I get where he's coming from and his information is good. Just not always his conclusions and takeaways.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Hadlock posted:

Sold, thank you!

Now to pick out the best white quartz out of approximately one million white quartzes...

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

moana posted:

Sold, thank you!

Now to pick out the best white quartz out of approximately one million white quartzes...

See if you can go to the local distributor to see the full size slabsb once you've narrowed it down a bit. Helps seeing 8x6 foot slab rather than a hand sized sample

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Hadlock posted:

wow. I'm gonna get one when I redo my sink

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

moana posted:

Whatever you get, I recommend finding one where you can move the handle freely between hot and cold without turning on the water. Mine is such that if you rotate the handle towards hot or cold, it turns the water on, and let me tell you it is EXTREMELY finicky when it comes to shutting off the water. You have to find the exact rotational sweet spot or it will drip.

Hope that description isn't too hard to parse - I didn't even know such a stupid design existed.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

After 2 years of owning a generator, I got to use it for a power outage. On Father's Day weekend, no less. Feeling pretty good about myself today

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I have one of those delta faucets and enjoy the little magical cone spray just to have something a little higher pressure. Would be weird to go back to a sink that doesn’t have it.

It was a feature in both the ~200 Home Depot Delta we had and the ~500 Delta we just got from a plumbing supply house.

sillyloquy
Dec 4, 2008

Che Delilas posted:

Whatever you get, I recommend finding one where you can move the handle freely between hot and cold without turning on the water. Mine is such that if you rotate the handle towards hot or cold, it turns the water on, and let me tell you it is EXTREMELY finicky when it comes to shutting off the water. You have to find the exact rotational sweet spot or it will drip.

Hope that description isn't too hard to parse - I didn't even know such a stupid design existed.

I also have one of these and recommend avoiding them.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Femtosecond posted:

Have determined that shutting off water at the main seems to have done nothing lol.

Called the city but of course lol if you call after 3pm on a Friday sorry the callout will be 2x as expensive.

I could call a private non-city plumber or just do nothing.

Tbh I'm not really sure what a plumber would say here given that I feel by shutting off water to my house I feel I've identified that it's not a problem with my pipes?

I have no idea what is going on. My best, craziest guess is that there's a leak in the rainwater drainage pipe in the alley that goes by the house?

Seems like quite an intractable problem. New house required.

Considering doing nothing about it this weekend because I'm not really sure what I can do.

Update: called some plumbers and they basically did the same things that I did and identified that it was absolutely definitely some sort of leak between the city water line and my house. Still very good to get confirmation from people that know what they're doing.

They suggested I have a look at "trenchless water main replacement" to see if it's a possible fix in this particular situation (not something they do, but a quick google suggests other plumbers around here do do it), or if that isn't an option, otherwise to hire some teens to help me dig a big hole to dig this thing out and they'd come and replace it. I could get them to dig it but I got the vibe that was the dumb $$$$ option lol.

So mild upside good news I guess is that there's nothing wrong in the house here.

Funny thing about the water meter stuff they basically said the same thing as this thread that "ah too bad you don't have a water meter that's the fastest way to figure out what is going on.."

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 15, 2024

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I put one of those Delta faucets in the kitchen at the last place. It works great! The water curtain shield doesn't stop 100% of the splashback but it gets most of it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Femtosecond posted:

hire some teens to help me dig a big hole to dig this thing out and they'd come and replace it. I could get them to dig it but I got the vibe that was the dumb $$$$ option lol.

Um, how deep is the frost line where you live? If you were trying to do that around here you'd be digging for days before you made it to the water line. If you live in florida then carry on.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Motronic posted:

Um, how deep is the frost line where you live? If you were trying to do that around here you'd be digging for days before you made it to the water line. If you live in florida then carry on.

Fortunately I live in a relatively warm place so it's probably not the worst case scenario, but yeah it would not be a trivial job at all. You'd be digging 3+ feet down.

The good thing is that the house is relatively close to the water main, maybe even less than 5 feet.

Still a lot of digging!

Just googling and the frost line in Vancouver is 450mm and in Toronto it's uhh 1.2m. If my water main is about 2-3 feet down how deep is it in cold places like Toronto....?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Femtosecond posted:

Just googling and the frost line in Vancouver is 450mm and in Toronto it's uhh 1.2m. If my water main is about 2-3 feet down how deep is it in cold places like Toronto....?

It's below the frost line, so 4 feet down or more.

Until it gets so cold that's not practical to get below the frost line anymore, then they're buried relatively shallow with insulation and heat tape.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

really israel could slaughter all these children without our help, I just didn't want to miss out on the chance to participate
I dont even know what I'd do if I ever wanted to get a water line run to my house, since the frost line is like four feet but the soil layer is less than two feet deep lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Femtosecond posted:

Update: called some plumbers and they basically did the same things that I did and identified that it was absolutely definitely some sort of leak between the city water line and my house. Still very good to get confirmation from people that know what they're doing.

They suggested I have a look at "trenchless water main replacement" to see if it's a possible fix in this particular situation (not something they do, but a quick google suggests other plumbers around here do do it), or if that isn't an option, otherwise to hire some teens to help me dig a big hole to dig this thing out and they'd come and replace it. I could get them to dig it but I got the vibe that was the dumb $$$$ option lol.

So mild upside good news I guess is that there's nothing wrong in the house here.

Funny thing about the water meter stuff they basically said the same thing as this thread that "ah too bad you don't have a water meter that's the fastest way to figure out what is going on.."

Try a landscaping company, if you can get someone out with a mini excavator it should be pretty short work. Your plumbers don't want to deal with digging a hole, but if you have the pipe exposed I'm sure they'll be willing to replace it.