Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Oh, no, it's not like- It's not like I'm mad about it, I'm just surprised I didn't see that coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

e X posted:

:allears:

Seeing people discover Jojo is always great.

Also, does literally all Japanese media have references to JJBA?

The one which got me was watching Phantom Blood and realising Ornstein and Smough were Bruford and Tarkus, right down to the big brutish guy crushing the little, honourable guy after he loses. JoJo is everywhere

Haha

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

A Steampunk Gent posted:

The one which got me was watching Phantom Blood and realising Ornstein and Smough were Bruford and Tarkus, right down to the big brutish guy crushing the little, honourable guy after he loses. JoJo is everywhere

I was extremely amused when I discovered Benimaru was a Polnareff. And I'm pretty sure Iori from KoF made the WRYYYYY DIO pose at certain moment in the games. :allears: I technically played a Jojo fan game when I was a teen and never knew.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I will never play KoF without instalocking benimaru onto every team.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Is there any real reason why Jojo, of all things, turned into the unified reference pool? I mean, it never seem to have much mainstream success or a huge popcultural perception, but apparently every creative Japanese in the last three decades is a fan.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

e X posted:

Is there any real reason why Jojo, of all things, turned into the unified reference pool? I mean, it never seem to have much mainstream success or a huge popcultural perception, but apparently every creative Japanese in the last three decades is a fan.

....Because it has had exactly these things in Japan for the last three decades?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yeah it's just not big in the states.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

And that was mainly due to lack of a lot of official release due to copyright concerns. It really got big when Crunchyroll picked up the anime.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Waffleman_ posted:

....Because it has had exactly these things in Japan for the last three decades?

So why did it take til 2014 for it to get an anime?

edit: What I mean is, I never got the impression, in my admittedly short time knowing about JJBA, that it has the same omnipresence in popculture as say One Piece. Yet it seems to have much more long lasting influence.

e X fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Dec 12, 2015

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Because Araki probably didn't sign off on a TV anime until 2012. Probably was wary from the Phantom Blood movie.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

e X posted:

So why did it take til 2014 for it to get an anime?

edit: What I mean is, I never got the impression, in my admittedly short time knowing about JJBA, that it has the same omnipresence in popculture as say One Piece. Yet it seems to have much more long lasting influence.

There had been a couple of attempts. The Egypt part of part 3 was animated (very condesced) in the '90s, the journey to Egypt got the same treatment in '03 (which was much worse than the Egypt part). There was also a very condesced movie version of Phantom Blood that was a flop. The Egypt OVA adaptation was pretty good, but did not quite grasp the spirit of Jojo as well as the current adaptation has.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Noted Shonen Jump flop Jojo's Bizarre Adventure somehow runs for three decades, scientists baffled.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

highly popular series jojo's bizarre adventure a big hit in country it originated in and not the united states to the surprise of learned individuals

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest

I learned from the comments on this video that this song won the Animation Kobe Award for best theme song.
http://myanimelist.net/news/43067305

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Alpha3KV posted:

I learned from the comments on this video that this song won the Animation Kobe Award for best theme song.
http://myanimelist.net/news/43067305

While I agree that Joseph has a beautiful singing voice, I think you may have quoted the wrong video post by alcharagia.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
after a good sleep and noting a post prior in this thread I figure I should outline

Things I Already Know about the Dio Fight from Cultural Osmosis

1. It is a fight against Dio
2. His outfit is predominantly yellow
3. He shouts WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
4. There's gonna be a road roller involved
5. His stand is The World and he says its name

just so nobody is surprised when i don't flip out about the road roller; i already know about it. i'm not completely blind here. just mostly.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
see because

Desperado Bones posted:

I was extremely amused when I discovered Benimaru was a Polnareff. And I'm pretty sure Iori from KoF made the WRYYYYY DIO pose at certain moment in the games. :allears: I technically played a Jojo fan game when I was a teen and never knew.

I saw this post and I was like "yeah WRYYYYY that's the Dio thing yeah" and then I realized "wait he actually hasn't done it yet I should probably mention I already know about WRYYYYY"

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
It's fun to say! WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

alcharagia posted:

after a good sleep and noting a post prior in this thread I figure I should outline

Things I Already Know about the Dio Fight from Cultural Osmosis

1. It is a fight against Dio
2. His outfit is predominantly yellow
3. He shouts WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
4. There's gonna be a road roller involved
5. His stand is The World and he says its name

just so nobody is surprised when i don't flip out about the road roller; i already know about it. i'm not completely blind here. just mostly.

Yeah it's hard not to know a lot about that fight, I think I knew even more than this my first time through

It's still really awesome though, I hope you take much delight in it

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
It's insane just how much hype a man screaming Engrish nonsense can generate.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

alcharagia posted:

It's fun to say! WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Well he did do it a few times in phantom blood too

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

FirstAidKite posted:

Well he did do it a few times in phantom blood too

Yes, this, he went WRYYYYY like since he first became a vampire. DIO's catchphrases/noises are the best.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Don't forget uryyyyyyyy

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

He does WRYYYYY in Phantom Blood but never with the same gusto as he does during ROAD ROLLER DA. That there is the definitive WRYYYYY

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

IronicDongz posted:

I actually don't like how much fart jokes they put in via Iggy. Like they added a bunch that weren't in the manga, it's ok dudes, we get it. dog farts.

Because of thier hosed up little piggy faces, Bostons fart a lot. They dont have proper nasal passages and swallow a lot of air when breathing, which can only come out the other end. Theyre one of the fartingest dogs out there!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

alcharagia posted:

Hol HorsePower is a measure of how many Hol Horses a character could defeat at once.

Official Hol HorsePower Measurements

Jonathan Joestar: 0, because Hol Horse would shoot him.

Part 1 Speedwagon: 1, because with his powerful abs he could reflect Hol Horse's bullets and he has a cool hat to fight Hol Horse at range, but he is just a man and would probably lose to two horses.

Baron Zeppeli: See Jonathan.

Part 1 Dio: 10, because he is a crazy super-powered vampire man who can do crazy vampire things; however, Stands are basically Hamon, and therefore the bullets would work well on him. His natural Real Ultimate Vampire Power would allow him to defeat ten gunmen, but I am hesitant to allow 11.

Dire: 0, because Hol Horse would shoot him in the face when he attempted to use the Thunder Cross Split Attack, and he would die.

Straizo: 1, because he is a reasonably powerful vampire, but he is elementally weak to Emperor Bullets.

Young Joseph Joestar: 20, because using the Joestar Secret Technique and Joseph Joestar Line Prediction techniques in tandem, Joseph could easily bamboozle the predictable Hol Horses into defeating each other.

Rudol von Stroheim: 2, because he is a powerful Nazi cyborg, and German science is the best in the world; Hol Horse's gun is of Emperor make and therefore does not use German science, so Stroheim's guns are superior.

Part 2 Speedwagon: Infinite, because the Speedwagon Foundation has infinite money to pay off Hol Horse, who is motivated by money.

Lisa Lisa: 0, because Hol Horse respects all women, even the ugly ones, and therefore would not fight Lisa Lisa.

Caesar Zeppeli: 0, because Caesar is not allowed to ever do anything noteworthy.

Wammu: 13, because with his powerful wind-sensing abilities he could detect where Hol Horse's bullets came from. However, once there got to be too many Hol Horses, getting in close for the Divine Sandstorm would prove impossible.

Esidisi: 4, because he is the weakest of the Pillar Men, but is still powerful.

Normal Kars: 30, because he could cut the bullets.

Ultimate Thing Kars: Infinity minus 1, because he is the ultimate life form and undefeatable by anyone except Speedwagon's infinite money.

Jotaro Kujo: 3, because Star Platinum can catch bullets, but he only has two arms and one head to headbutt the bullets.

Jean-Pierre Polnareff: 1, because he has one sword.

Noriaki Kakyoin: At least 5, but probably higher, because he is a True Hero.

Old Joseph Joestar: 1, because he is still powerful, but has lost the power of the Line Prediction.

Mohammed Avdol: 0, because Hol Horse murdered him.

Gray Fly: 2, because he is very fast, and is a bug, but his old man bones are not fast enough for three whole horses.

Captain Tenille: 0, because Hol Horse would shoot him.

Wu-Tang Forever: 0, because Hol Horse would shoot him.

Devo: 1, because Hol Horse would shoot him, and then he himself would die from getting shot.

Rubber Soul: 0, because Hol Horse would shoot him, and Emperor is not biological material.

J. Geil: N/A, they are best friends.

ZZ: 3, because he has a car, and cars are shielded against bullets, but Hol Horse could shoot the windows so he is not invincible.

Nena: 1, because Hol Horse would not fight her, as he respects all women, even the ugly ones, but Nena does not need to fight to kill 1 Hol Horse.

Sun Guy: 0, because Hol Horse would shoot him.

Steely Dan: 1, because the Lovers would enter the brain of one Hol Horse, and then the other one would shoot Dan, killing the first one.

Mannish Boy: 0, because Hol Horse always has his gun.

Cameo: Infinite, because Hol Horse would wish for money, and he could be crushed under it. See Speedwagon.

Midler: 0, as Hol Horse respects all women, even the ugly ones, so he would not fight her.

N'Doul: 3, because Hol Horse is not very smart and it would take four horses to figure out N'Doul's tricky gimmick.

Oingo Boingo Brothers: Variant, depending on how incompetent Hol Horse is feeling that day.

Anubis: 0, because Hol Horse would shoot him, and does not need another weapon, because he has his gun.

Mariah: 0, because Hol Horse respects all women, even the ugly ones, so he would not fight her. Also, because Hol Horse, if she were not a woman, would just shoot her.

Alessi: 0, because Hol Horse would shoot him.

Daniel J. D'Arby: Variant, depending on whether each Hol Horse has a soul or not.

Part 3 Dio: Probably a lot, because Hol Horse wants all the money in the world, but Dio has the entire World as his Stand.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
time for some more kioku

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
araki: "i am terence d. d'arby."

sato: "d'arby?!"

daisuke: "yare yare... not another one of these guys"

yamaguchi: "oh no, not again... not the poker again... anything but that..."

sugita: "holy shit... am I going to die again...?"

tamura: "what"

tamura: "who is d'arby"

nakai: "out of all the fights i ignored he was probably the best"

tamura: "oh"

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
OH, That's BASEBALL!

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

alcharagia posted:

OH, That's BASEBALL!

JAGGERS

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
SERECT UR cur

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

YES!  YES!  YES!

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Imagine Terrance trying to explain video games to Dio.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
kakyoin is an f-zero ninja holy poo poo

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

This week on JoJo, the gang bets their souls on esports.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
guys, you know there are three laps in this race right

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

get hype, two of the best fights in the show come after d'arby younger

they might be the last two actual fights, but hey

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
:sigh: i don't want kakyoin to lose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I don't think F-Mega is a very well-designed game.

• Locked thread