Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Let cats murder?
Yes
No
Goku
View Results

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

When I was young my parents used to have multitple indoor/outdoor cats that mostly stayed in their giant privacy-fenced yard in a sleepy low-density neighborhood so things were fine. After my parents divorced, my mom and I moved to a different house in a suburb with smaller yards and more traffic, and one of them almost immediately disappeared (likely hit by a car but we'll never know). It turned out our next door neighbor was a retiree with an obsession for gardening and one day he discovered some cat poop in his flowerbed.

Instead of consulting us about the problem, he complained to the town government and had them send us a nasty letter warning about potential fines, then started putting out cage traps. My mom ended up rescuing one of ours from a cage, as well as a stray that we took in (it ended up being a sweet old lady that lived almost 20 years). Not sure what his actual intentions were but we didn't want to find out so they became indoor-only and have remained since. My girlfriend and I have 3 cats + a foster we're trying to find a home for; all rescued strays, all kept indoors because the world is full of predators, psychos, and cars.

Also we ended up slowly and subtly ruining that neighbor's garden over the next few years. He kept a flowerbed adjoining our house's driveway and it was common for us to regularly 'miss' and put a wheel through his flowers when pulling in. When my mom ended up adopting a dog, she'd let it piss in his yard at night.

Vernii fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jan 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

The Splash posted:

If you live on a farm where a cat can be a ratter, great. Outdoor cats with jobs are different. But letting pets loose in and around cities should be illegal (if it's not already). You don't let your dogs wander the streets at night, why would you let your cats?
Every person around where I live with outdoor cats is the same - no cat furniture, often too many animals in a small space, and owners with no empathy. Of course your cat is fleeing out the front door when they have no vertical space and are constantly running from your other three unhappy cats and dogs in your one bedroom apartment, it doesn't mean they're escaping to some beautiful wonderland or a scheduled playdate.
If your cat is social, have two or more social cats and in a space that works for them. If your lizard/rat/dog/etc. is social you don't throw them outside, you make a better environment for them.
If your cat needs exercise, get exercise equipment, actually play with them, and/or harness+leash train them. If your dog need exercise you don't throw them outside, you walk/run them on a leash (or get them to a dog-specific area to exercise).
If you honestly think your cat wants to be outside then set up a secure outdoor space. Don't assume the world will take care of your pet. That's being the parent who drops off their young children at malls all day because of course the Gamestop employees will look after them.
Pets aren't that complicated, they just require that you give a poo poo and learn what they need. They're not decorations. I'm sick of seeing dead wildlife, cats abandoned because they stayed outside too long so they were replaced, and cats hurt or worse from owner neglect. If you don't have the space for cats then don't get cats.
:sigh:
Hear hear! Preach!!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Hear hear! Preach!!

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Well Americans are huge on leash laws and formal ‘dog walking’ whereas in the UK its totally normal to let your dog off-lead. We just kinda let animals run around and entertain themselves here, but it doesn’t seem to lead to widespread animal massacre and misery

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Well Americans are huge on leash laws and formal ‘dog walking’ whereas in the UK its totally normal to let your dog off-lead. We just kinda let animals run around and entertain themselves here, but it doesn’t seem to lead to widespread animal massacre and misery

You talkin city or rural tho?

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

One thing that always strike me as disingenuous is that people quoting statistics always seem to take the stats for purely outside 'working cats' or even strays, then compare that to cats who are kept inside as loved pets with full vet visits. Then claim that indoor cats live 7 year longer or whatever.

Indoor/outdoor cats who are family pets and are taken to the vet, fed properly, etc? In a country without predators? I very much doubt the difference is more than a year or two at most and that almost entirely due to cars, so very dependent upon where you live. Anecdotally I know of one largely outdoor cat who made it to twenty two and she only died because she loved to jump between boats.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

esperterra posted:

You talkin city or rural tho?

Our suburbs aren't the hellscapes that us suburbs are

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

Both. I’m in the city, my parents are rural. Only difference I noticed was that you don’t tend to get free-roaming chickens in the city...

e: I am in a residential/suburby part of the city though. Yeah if you live in some completely urban central location you’re not letting your cat out, but then you’re probably renting at extortionate prices and can’t have a pet anyway

Prism Mirror Lens fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jan 8, 2020

The Splash
May 30, 2011

I'll never say hole again.

Vernii posted:

When I was young my parents used to have multitple indoor/outdoor cats that mostly stayed in their giant privacy-fenced yard in a sleepy low-density neighborhood so things were fine. After my parents divorced, my mom and I moved to a different house in a suburb with smaller yards and more traffic, and one of them almost immediately disappeared (likely hit by a car but we'll never know). It turned out our next door neighbor was a retiree with an obsession for gardening and one day he discovered some cat poop in his flowerbed.

Instead of consulting us about the problem, he complained to the town government and had them send us a nasty letter warning about potential fines, then started putting out cage traps. My mom ended up rescuing one of ours from a cage, as well as a stray that we took in (it ended up being a sweet old lady that lived almost 20 years). Not sure what his actual intentions were but we didn't want to find out so they became indoor-only and have remained since. My girlfriend and I have 3 cats + a foster we're trying to find a home for; all rescued strays, all kept indoors because the world is full of predators, psychos, and cars.

Also we ended up slowly and subtly ruining that neighbor's garden over the next few years. He kept a flowerbed adjoining our house's driveway and it was common for us to regularly 'miss' and put a wheel through his flowers when pulling in. When my mom ended up adopting a dog, she'd let it piss in his yard at night.
This was a good read, thank you (and thank you for being good to your cats!)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Both. I’m in the city, my parents are rural. Only difference I noticed was that you don’t tend to get free-roaming chickens in the city...

e: I am in a residential/suburby part of the city though. Yeah if you live in some completely urban central location you’re not letting your cat out, but then you’re probably renting at extortionate prices and can’t have a pet anyway

lol remember how the press and police made a huge deal about someone travelling around murdering outdoor cats with hundreds of cases of it and then it turned out to be foxes when they asked an expert. the same expert they'd asked a decade earlier after the exact same thing happened

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Jose posted:

lol remember how the press and police made a huge deal about someone travelling around murdering outdoor cats with hundreds of cases of it and then it turned out to be foxes when they asked an expert. the same expert they'd asked a decade earlier after the exact same thing happened

You'd have to be crazy to let your cat outdoors.

Crazy like a fox!!!

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Vernii posted:

Haha wow your family is assholes. We moved in next to a retiree and ruined the thing he loved the most tee hee. Pretty on brand for outdoor cat owners tbh

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
It just goes with how outdoor cat owners are irresponsible pet owners but cat poo poo is gross, you’re expected to pick up after your dog but lazy outdoor cat owners don’t think it’s their responsibility

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

*literally gets a city letter about their nuisance animals* hmm not going to do anything

*neighbor puts out perfectly legal cage traps on their own property* wow this is just unacceptable I will now generate a lifelong grudge and ruin this man’s one passion, probably the only thing he still has in his life, which also beautifies the neighborhood

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
Cars bury their poo poo, mixing the soil and adding nutrients. Their urine scares away herbivores. You want cats to poo poo and piss in your garden.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Ceiling fan posted:

Cars bury their poo poo, mixing the soil and adding nutrients. Their urine scares away herbivores. You want cats to poo poo and piss in your garden.

Love to have carnivore poo poo in my garden adding nutrients lol is this what you actually think?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Dogs are a nuisance in the US. People get them as a form of virtue signalling, and then drag them around on a leash so other idiots with terminal doggo brain can make a huge deal about seeing dogs.

The worst is when people take their dogs in stores because they know that no one is really paid enough to deal with the poo poo fit said virtue signalling idiot will throw when asked to remove their stupid dog from the shopping cart.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

Dogs are a nuisance in the US. People get them as a form of virtue signalling, and then drag them around on a leash so other idiots with terminal doggo brain can make a huge deal about seeing dogs.

The worst is when people take their dogs in stores because they know that no one is really paid enough to deal with the poo poo fit said virtue signalling idiot will throw when asked to remove their stupid dog from the shopping cart.

I was going to ask how the gently caress dogs are virtue signalling, but then I took a look at your rap sheet and saw you have an entire page worth of probes for some kind of anti dog agenda and I think you may be legitimately unwell. Hope you get some help.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Like 99% sure all the indoor people are the kind who refer to their pets as their "babies" in casual conversation.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

My cats are not my babies tyvm.

They're my best friends!!!

And I live on one of the busiest streets in my city so they sure as gently caress are staying indoor.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Vernii posted:

the world is full of predators, psychos, and cars.

Also we ended up slowly and subtly ruining that neighbor's garden over the next few years. He kept a flowerbed adjoining our house's driveway and it was common for us to regularly 'miss' and put a wheel through his flowers when pulling in.

:ironicat:

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

phasmid posted:

Like 99% sure all the indoor people are the kind who refer to their pets as their "babies" in casual conversation.
:wrong:

Babies are annoying, loud, and needy. Very much unlike cats.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
Where the hell are the pictures of outdoor cats?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Foreskin Problems posted:

Asking goons to go outdoors. Smh.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Foreskin Problems posted:

I'd rather not have kitty roadkill posted itt tbf.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Maybe its a U.S thing but pretty much everyone in my end lets their cats outside, its quite nice to not have to own cat to get the chance to pet one.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Yeah it’s pretty sweet to get to pet a dirty cat probably with feline aids, three different types of worms and whatever else it’s suffering from

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Do it ironically posted:

Yeah it’s pretty sweet to get to pet a dirty cat probably with feline aids, three different types of worms and whatever else it’s suffering from

You shy away from cats when you're out and about? Also lol @ "feline aids" because you can't do without scaremongering.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Cats are good. There should be more of them. And they should be BIGGER.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

The US has a huge problem with feral cats compounded with cat breeding mills that add to the problem. In contrast to countries like Germany that rarely euthanize in their shelters except to end suffering, the US kills hundreds of thousands of healthy strays every year because of mass overpopulation. The trap and spay/neuter teams do great work and help cut down on the problem.

The trappers gets screamed at by idiots who want them to personally investigate every cat they trap before taking it in just in case someone owns it. Homed cats are a tiny fraction of the cats living outdoors and it's not feasible to stop sending animals to shelters just because you might pick up someone's pet. If you don't want your cat trapped then keep them indoors, if they don't come home then check with county animal services.

I reserve a special "gently caress you" to lovely owners who claim their cat must have escaped their breakaway collar when they've never put any collar on their cat, never chipped them, and don't intend to.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Do it ironically posted:

lmao am I just supposed to live my life in constant fear of every cat i see that i don't recognise?

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

JustaDamnFool posted:

lmao am I just supposed to live my life in constant fear of every cat i see that i don't recognise?
Yes if you have cats of your own that you value the health of. Outdoor/stray cats are carriers of many diseases which have fomites that can easily be brought home to your own cats.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

phasmid posted:

FWIW we occasionally (all the time) have problem cougars stalking hikers, runners and mountain bikers. Not saying you're wrong tho, training cats to attack invasive species is a good idea imo.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Yes if you have cats of your own that you value the health of. Outdoor/stray cats are carriers of many diseases which have fomites that can easily be brought home to your own cats.

You may be a palm master, but try the back of your hand for petting kitties

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
There's one easy trick to avoid getting feline aids

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

seek help my guy

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

phasmid posted:

Sakara123
Dec 10, 2019

The Big Chungus
If you're going to have a pet keep it to your drat self. I don't need someones dickhead cat screwing with my poo poo because they don't want to deal with it.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

JustaDamnFool posted:

Americans need guns because as soon as they step outside they’re overrun by feral hogs and AIDS cats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Colonel Cancer posted:

There's one easy trick to avoid getting feline aids

Wear a condom?