Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
Trios 19 15.32%
Christian vs Kaz 4 3.23%
Arcade Anarchy 96 77.42%
Tay and Shida vs Nyla and The Bunny 5 4.03%
Total: 124 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Ogogo was the first person they signed to a developmental deal, back even before Double Or Nothing 2019. I think he's the first person that AEW as a company have trained from scratch under contract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

I'd think people like Anna Jay and Carlie Bravo count, no?

Nightmare factory as opposed to AEW I guess.

Anna Jay would definitely count, I think.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
JR has his moments, but they're outweighed by the times he's just completely confused by what's going on out there, and it's exacerbated by the fact that Excalibur is at the absolute top of his game.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Glacier taught Anna Jay before she got involved with QT and the AEW training, give The Ice Man the credit he deserves please and thank you

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

I don’t know if JR’s done anything egregious since working the PPV when he was clearly sick, but I definitely think AEW is in a place where they transition him to big match stuff only and put someone like Veda Scott in that chair.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Lamuella posted:

QT isn't long for this stable. His name doesn't end with an -o sound.

If you think that PAC doesn't have the mental fortitude to make a six sided triangle...

QT Marshmallo

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/ONEChampionship/status/1377473388088713218

Between this (retweeted by AEW), Total Rhodes, and the tag match next week TNT seems to really like AEW for cross promotional stuff.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

JR's the weakest member of the commentary team. Not that he's terrible or anything, but Excalibur is unbelievably good and Tony plays off of him incredibly well.

He'd be cool for big matches or PPVs, but I'd be fine swapping him out with someone else.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

The Last Call posted:

Here's a nice little faction round up that I totally didn't steal from the squaredcircle reddit and certainly was not created by PolishThrasher. *wink wink, nudge nudge*

Dark Order
Current Members
Alan Angels "5"
Alex Reynolds
Colt Cabana
Evil Uno
John Silver
Pres10 Vance
Stu Grayson
Anna Jay

Associated Wrestlers: Hangman Page, Tay Conti

Enemies: Matt Hardy Empire, The Acclaimed, Alan Angels

Nightmare Family
Current Members
Arn Anderson
Austin Gunn
Billy Gunn
Brandi Rhodes
Cody Rhodes
Colten Gunn
Dustin Rhodes
Lee Johnson

Associated Wrestlers: Red Velvet

Enemies: Nightmare Family Wolfpack, Shaq, Jade Cargill, The Pretty Picture

Nightmare Family Wolfpack
Current Members
Aaron Solow
Anthony Ogogo
Nick Comoroto
QT Marshall

Associated Wrestlers: Shawn Dean

Enemies: Nightmare Family

The Elite

Current Members
Matt Jackson AEW Tag Team Champion
Nick Jackson AEW Tag Team Champion

Associated Wrestlers: Brandon Cutler, Jon Moxley, SCU (Christopher Daniels and Frankie Kazarian)

Enemies: The Invisible Hand

The Invisible Hand
Current Members
Kenny Omega AEW World Champion
Karl Anderson
Luke Gallows
Michael Nakazawa
Don Callis Literal Human Garbage

Associated Wrestlers: Kenta (Bullet Club?)

Enemies: The Elite, Jon Moxley, Death Triangle, Eddie Kingston, The Sydals

Team Taz
Current Members
Brian Cage FTW Champion
Hook
Powerhouse Hobbs
Ricky Starks
Taz

Associated Wrestlers: None

Enemies: String and Darby Allin

The Pinnacle
Current Wrestlers
Cash Wheeler
Dax Harwood
MJF
Shawn Spears
Wardlow
Tully Blanchard

Enemies: The Inner Circle

The Inner Circle
Current Members
Chris Jericho
Jake Hager
Ortiz
Sammy Guevarra
Santana

Enemies: The Pinnacle, Young Bucks

The Best Friends
Current Members
Chuck Taylor
Orange Cassidy
Trent Beretta

Associated Wrestlers: Kris Statlander

Enemies: Miro, Kip Sabian, Penelope Ford

Matt Hardy Empire
Current Members
Allie (The Bunny)
Isiah Kassidy
Matt Hardy
Marq Quen
The Blade
The Butcher

Enemies: Darby Allin, Sting, the Dark Order

Death Triangle
Current Members
Pac
Penta El Zero M
Rey Fenix

Associated Wrestlers: Laredo Kid, Alex Abrahantes

Enemies: The Invisible Hand, the Elite

The Pretty Picture
Current Members
Peter Avalon
Cezar Bononi
JD Drake
Ryan Nemeth

Enemies: Ugly People

Jurassic Express
Current Members
Jungle Boy
Luchasaurus
Marko Stunt

Enemies: Bear Country

It's beautiful... :allears:

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Pylons posted:

Between this (retweeted by AEW), Total Rhodes, and the tag match next week TNT seems to really like AEW for cross promotional stuff.

Throwing to B-League MMA is almost certainly going to come off better than random movie of the week.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I like JR on Dynamite. Tony can get lost and not finish lines sometimes and JR sounds sort of tired sometimes but neither of those things bother me and that’s my only critique of the booth. Excalibur is very good at play by play, but he also never really blows me away with his calls except that one time about MJF having a streak of yellow down his back that had Tony going “What a great call” live on air which was funny and endearing.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I think breaking things up a bit would help. Get Veda Scott on for Women's matches to give JR some breathing room. Have a decent rotating commentary desk. Let the guys move in and out based on what they excel at.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

DeathChicken posted:

So what I'm seeing is that they could do an entire PPV out of all the groups vying for some kind of King of Stables title and make a bajillion dollars

As long as they don't try and do a stable-based round robin tournament like Chikara did. It did not work out well, ending excluded.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC

Pylons posted:

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

just watched Dynamite, Tony reacting to Lego like Chuck was unloading a bag of rusty used syringes into the ring was the greatest, Sue doing a minivan run in was the greatest, Rey Fenix running like two thirds of the way across the ring on the top rope? also the greatest

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Tony is a wise man that has stepped on a lego before

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Tony is a wise man that has stepped on a lego before

JR going "Tony!" when the Lego started falling was absolutely him thinking "those are the things I saw in your house!"

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i think Kaz / Christian was an INCREDIBLY old school type of match, and even though many of us in the GDT were kinda :confused: by the mid way point, they brought it home incredibly well

Christian particularly was telling an amazing story the entire time, so many moments where it looked like he had no business being in the ring, the shock on his face after he took a hard hitting move, when Kaz would counter him and put him to the mat, when he got his bell rung. People were saying he was blown up and looked liked trash, but I'd wager it was 90% selling, enhanced by the Jacksonville heat putting a thick sheen on everyone.

I'm really glad it came together and everyone got on the same page, cuz it was a sleeper hit imo

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I think Christian did a great job of selling that he was blown up and severely affected by ring rust, aided by him being actually blown up and affected by bring rust.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

I think the biggest thing AEW has going for it is that it's booked by guys who appreciate having friends and not a weird old rear end in a top hat who thinks friendship is a weakness, basically every major storyline is about it on some level

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

El Generico posted:

AEW are so drat good at payoffs. Even in a feud like Toxic Gamers vs. Best Friends, where the build was highly variable in enjoyment value, the payoff was so fantastic and felt so good that it redeems the whole thing for me.

do we think it was dragged out so both trent and stat could return

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

MJeff posted:

I think Christian did a great job of selling that he was blown up and severely affected by ring rust, aided by him being actually blown up and affected by bring rust.

yeah i mean it could have just been hardway selling and he needs to hit that peloton lol

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Dark Elevation man event could be fun:

https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1377655959032627205

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

The idea of the guy who hasn’t wrestled in seven years coming back with the catchphrase “Out Work Everyone” and immediately feuding with hubris and cardio is kind of interesting.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Throwing to B-League MMA is almost certainly going to come off better than random movie of the week.

Yeah, hearing "stay tuned for The Accountant" while Trent is standing on the turnbuckle was the only flaw in that ending.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

The idea of the guy who hasn’t wrestled in seven years coming back with the catchphrase “Out Work Everyone” and immediately feuding with hubris and cardio is kind of interesting.

If it's really his gimmick he should be doing three matches a week.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

MJeff posted:

Lol yeah I said in the GDT but about halfway through that match I think I would've rather seen Christian lose and have a story about finding out the hard way that things in the industry have changed so much in 7 years and he can't just come in and beat a veteran who hasn't stopped wrestling for like 20 years. But he made a comeback at least 5 minutes too late and won the match after getting his rear end kicked the whole time. The end was fine, it wasn't necessarily a bad match, I just don't really understand debuting the guy like that. I've never seen him wrestle on his own before and my immediate impression was that he isn't worth the hype and in no way should be coming near the champion anytime soon.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 1, 2021

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

SKY: ooo! what if i snap my fingers and the lights go out!? :D
AEW PROD. GUY: *big sigh* yeah fine, whatever

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

AEW needs to run something like the annual Dragon Gate faction cage match clusterfuck where the loser gets their head shaved or unmasked.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I'm wondering whether Young Dustin ripping open the bunny and scattering lego across the ring (when I for one expected thumbtacks) was a reverse shout out to the DDT Barbed Wire Coffin match where Shunma Katsumata (who often throws lego across the ring) emptied out a bucket of thumbtacks.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

I think I am maybe the person in this thread most willing to give Heel Scorpio Sky a chance, but cutting two big menacing pretape promos that end in "I'm wrestling a Sydal brother on YouTube" is a very funny bit

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

https://twitter.com/youngbucks/status/1377651489762500610?s=20

i laughed at it again, they got me dammit

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Someone said the celebration sequence after Arcade Anarchy felt like the series finale to the Wednesday Night Wars.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Like Jericho, Christian's solo gimmicks have always had a healthy dose of irony in them so this makes a lot of sense for him.

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

Another cool and good show from the cool and good fed.

Christian/Kaz was a solid opener, if a little slow. Kaz is certainly the best guy to put up as Christian’s first opponent since he IS the AEW workhorse, and as others said it was a nice twist to have Christian get his rear end handed to him and eek out a win (7 years away and his age shouldn’t lead to him squashing someone as tough as Frankie). Hopefully Christian starts pulling out some new tricks; the match was a lot of his “greatest hits,” which is fine but I hope he follow’s Dustin’s lead and starts adding new moves to show what a veteran he truly is.

The Assassination of Cody Rhodes by the Coward QT Marshall was exactly what it should’ve been. QT’s Squad looked great, Dustin taking a piledriver on the steps was brutal, and I really liked the synergy of Red Velvet coming out for the save and then IMMEDIATELY getting thrashed backstage by Jade. This is certainly the most I’ve ever cared about the Nightmare Family so I’m excited to see where it all goes from here.

Inner Circle smashing up Pinnacle backstage was also a good time. After weeks of Pinnacle looking like the new killer faction it’s nice for Inner Circle to reestablish that, yes, they ARE still a force to be reckoned with (they did this nicely last year too after Jericho lost the belt; dude certainly knows how to get heat back). Also OOOOOFFF Dax’s head :gonk:

Kenny/Good Bros v Lucha Bros was a fun match but I wonder where it’s going. Death Triangle seem to be slotted in for Omega’s post-Mox feud, but that just got a new wrinkle with the Bucks (seemingly) joining forces with Mox. Is it wrong that I keep expecting the Bucks (or Matt at least) to flip and begrudgingly join Don Callis Presents the Bullet Club?

Team Taz is....fine??

Shida/Tay v Nyla/Bunny was fine but felt a little busy with EVERYONE at ringside. The match was fine overall but I’m more interested in what’s to come now versus anything that happened last night (Tay/Bunny should be good and bolster Tay as #1 Contender, Shida/Tay will also eventually be good, Dark Order/Hardy Family should be a fun schmozz, etc).

Arcade Anarchy obviously stole the show. EVERY set piece got used brilliantly (especially things like the Legos or piling a ton of poo poo on Miro to keep him down) and Miro looked like a killer (once he’s done murdering Kip I hope he gets a shot at Darby). LOVED the big returns and feel-good movie ending. It felt like a definitive end to the Best Friends/Twitch Bros feud, and I hope everyone involved gets to move on now to bigger and brighter things (since EVERYONE looked great coming out of this, losing side included).

:allears:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

xbilkis posted:

I think I am maybe the person in this thread most willing to give Heel Scorpio Sky a chance, but cutting two big menacing pretape promos that end in "I'm wrestling a Sydal brother on YouTube" is a very funny bit

I have been overlooked for too long but now it's my time to shine against the Sydals on the Youtube show

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
So is Sammy back in IC at this point or do we still get a waffling arc or story?

It feels like he's back in, which is kinda sad because I was hopeful him leaving was the start of his singles push :(

I need Sammy in the ring WAY more dammit.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

smarxist posted:

So is Sammy back in IC at this point or do we still get a waffling arc or story?

It feels like he's back in, which is kinda sad because I was hopeful him leaving was the start of his singles push :(

I need Sammy in the ring WAY more dammit.

Sammy is one of the Inner Circle's three workrate guys. I'd expect him to be shouldering most of the in-ring that isn't specifically tag oriented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

forkboy84 posted:

Holy crap, someone is still caring enough about what Mark Madden says to retweet him? That's certainly a choice. A bad choice.

madden is such a loving supreme rear end in a top hat dipshit