Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

bub spank posted:

He’s definitely going to be injured for half the season, but dang if Chychrun doesn’t look like a legitimate 1st pairing defenseman.

It comes at terrible cost though (Chabot playing RD)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/thewhl/status/1706447369733320817?s=46&t=N0fz65wLEKglu9TyofS2Yw

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
^ this is garbage and I hope he gets canned.

Also, I do not care for Brian Dumoulin in a Kraken sweater.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Jhet posted:

Oh yeah that's going to be some prime this guy scored material when he's on the ice.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Jhet posted:

^ this is garbage and I hope he gets canned.

He's been cooked for 2 years

Can't clear, can't win a board battle
Gosh he's so bad and I genuinely loved him for years

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Ye gods, Kevin Constantine is still alive??

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I was not complimenting Dumoulin for anything more than being able to tie his own skates. He looks slow as poo poo out there compared to basically everyone.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Ye gods, Kevin Constantine is still alive??

And still somehow coaching. The WHL just moved this team to Wenatchee this summer, so it’s taken him about as long as Babcock to get in trouble. We just need to speed run the rest of these old guys who don’t have brain matter out of the game.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I'm already giddy for the Bill Peters Redemption Tour, coming soon to a sad sack NHL franchise near you. Get your tickets while they last, it's gonna be over before you know it!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'm already giddy for the Bill Peters Redemption Tour, coming soon to a sad sack NHL franchise near you. Get your tickets while they last, it's gonna be over before you know it!

he's already with lethbridge in the whl, happened this summer too

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.
One of my pals was at the game in Melbourne and saw that crazy Cooley goal live

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
kevin constantine was known as a raging rear end in a top hat like, thirty years ago. kind of sad (but not surprising) he's managed to stay around the game.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Have they released who's playing who for the Devils vs Habs/Flyers?

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
what the gently caress is Wenatchee

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Jhet posted:

Speaking of !

Also, I have to post the blurb on the best 4th line in hockey

“As Cizikas (32), Clutterbuck (35) and Martin (34) age, that’s become less and less true. Last year they fell off a cliff, controlling only 40 percent of the expected goals as a result of their expected goals-against rate ballooning from 1.72 to 2.88. Combine that with their offense dropping off even further and it was much harder to see the trio’s utility.

That’s only expected to get worse this season as the players get further into their 30s. The line has a combined Net Rating of minus-30, 10 goals worse than an average team’s three worst players.

It’s not a ground-breaking amount, but it is worth about four standings points. That may not sound like much, but it’s the exact difference between being projected to finish 10th in the East versus eighth. It’s the difference between the Islanders having a 43 percent chance at the postseason and a 58 percent chance. And it’s a whole lot for a fourth line — especially for a team on the playoff bubble that’s paying said players $5.75 million this season.

And that’s just for an average fourth line. This was once the league’s very best, and if it still was, the Islanders would have a much firmer grasp of a playoff spot. Instead, it’s now arguably the worst and it leaves the Islanders on the outside of the race.”

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

mennoknight posted:

what the gently caress is Wenatchee

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wenatchi

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Always love the overly optimistic pre-season takes from the bottom feeders

https://twitter.com/myfryhole/status/1706127271956996312

https://twitter.com/grantmccagg/status/1706088711350255648

Zadina and Lindstrom would be near-certain healthy scratches on the likely 7th place team in the Atlantic, but the local writers are very excited about them. Lindstrom as a first-pair defenseman is hilarious.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

"He might be good on the PK" is about the lowest sort of praise you can give a hockey player

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

but the local writers are very excited about them. Lindstrom as a first-pair defenseman is hilarious.

idk, getting in the draft lottery is exciting!

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

Duckman2008 posted:

Speaking of !

Also, I have to post the blurb on the best 4th line in hockey

“As Cizikas (32), Clutterbuck (35) and Martin (34) age, that’s become less and less true. Last year they fell off a cliff, controlling only 40 percent of the expected goals as a result of their expected goals-against rate ballooning from 1.72 to 2.88. Combine that with their offense dropping off even further and it was much harder to see the trio’s utility.

That’s only expected to get worse this season as the players get further into their 30s. The line has a combined Net Rating of minus-30, 10 goals worse than an average team’s three worst players.

It’s not a ground-breaking amount, but it is worth about four standings points. That may not sound like much, but it’s the exact difference between being projected to finish 10th in the East versus eighth. It’s the difference between the Islanders having a 43 percent chance at the postseason and a 58 percent chance. And it’s a whole lot for a fourth line — especially for a team on the playoff bubble that’s paying said players $5.75 million this season.

And that’s just for an average fourth line. This was once the league’s very best, and if it still was, the Islanders would have a much firmer grasp of a playoff spot. Instead, it’s now arguably the worst and it leaves the Islanders on the outside of the race.”

Being an Islanders fan in the late LouLam era is like Homer Simpson watching the loss of his barbecued pig.

"They're just a little cooked, it's still good, it's still good!"
"Dad, it's gone."
"I know."

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

mcmagic posted:

https://x.com/RDSca/status/1706465092953366730?s=20

Please put jack in bubble wrap till the opener.

goddang the touch on that

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Joel Edmundson already out with an upper body injury after a scrimmage.

Glad the Capitals big moves this offseason were to acquire two more injury prone players!

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Mind_Taker posted:

Joel Edmundson already out with an upper body injury after a scrimmage.

Glad the Capitals big moves this offseason were to acquire two more injury prone players!

Joel Edmundson being out of the lineup isn't going to prevent you from making the playoffs... it's almost a blessing..

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Starsfan posted:

Joel Edmundson being out of the lineup isn't going to prevent you from making the playoffs... it's almost a blessing..

Not having anyone better than Joel Edmundson for that spot in the lineup in the first place might, though

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Barring a 1C and another top line forward falling into Washington's lap there's nothing they can do to make the postseason.

It's just funny that the old, slow, and broken team decided to acquire two old, slow, and broken players and call it a day. Spencer Carbery is coming into an incredibly tough situation and I wish management would have at least tried to get a decent player or two to help him out.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
[quote="Duckman2008" post="534839774"]
Speaking of !

Yep! He wasn't getting turned inside and out by the AHLers that he was playing against on the Calgary split squad last night, but you can easily see how he could. Vince Dunn is playing like a 4th forward a lot and parking in the low slot now too, so that's fun and not at all dangerous.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
The Caps are so bad and tickets are still the same price as 2018

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I think 90% of the fans at Caps home games are just there to see Ovie sock some dingers. Aside from Ovie they have become an incredibly boring team on top of being bad.

I don't mind them stinking this year but I hope they at least try to compete for a playoff spot one more time before Ovie hangs 'em up.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Prices not going up in 5 years seems like a dream that could not exist, regardless of the quality of the team.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

Jhet posted:

Yep! He wasn't getting turned inside and out by the AHLers that he was playing against on the Calgary split squad last night, but you can easily see how he could. Vince Dunn is playing like a 4th forward a lot and parking in the low slot now too, so that's fun and not at all dangerous.

It's cool how swapping this one dude with a replacement level defender would make the whole team go from net minus to net plus in this particular rating system.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Pens cut some nobodies and sent them back to their respective places in the O and AHL. Or wherever. Someone I completely forget about also let go off PTO. :shrug: here's the people sent to Detroit for tonight -

https://twitter.com/penguins/status/1706411607041970367

Friedman got banged up over the weekend so a little surprised to see him. PoJ/Smith likely going to head to head for the NHL roster spot. PoJ definitely had the stronger showing in the split squad game over the weekend. Up front nothing super notable....I guess if Brayden Yager can continue to impress with his preseason showing...Poulin had a better game over the weekend, but really hasn't stood out. Gruden popped up with a goal and with Zohorna had a good game against CBJ. The notable omission, to me, is Wagner. He had an extremely good game against a fairly strong Jackets team scoring and setting a goal up. Anyways this is already too many words about very pointless hockey. Soon though....

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Ty Smith sucks. He is an okayish, unremarkable player at the AHL level and totally overmatched in the NHL. If there's any competition at all it's only because Sullivan hates POJ so much.

Sexy Hexy got taken to the cleaners by the Devils

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

DancingMachine posted:

It's cool how swapping this one dude with a replacement level defender would make the whole team go from net minus to net plus in this particular rating system.

Yeah, let's not forget that this is the guy replacing Carson Soucy. I sure do hope he's near a base level... salary. Super, only two years of 3.15m of this.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Jamwad Hilder posted:

The Caps are so bad and tickets are still the same price as 2018

I don't think they're getting many takers, at least based on how I -- someone who hasn't gone to a game since 2019 -- has been hounded non-stop by their sales people the last month or two.

Secondary market prices seem OK but lol at $50 400-level seats on a Monday against the Flames.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Chad Sexington posted:

I don't think they're getting many takers, at least based on how I -- someone who hasn't gone to a game since 2019 -- has been hounded non-stop by their sales people the last month or two.

Secondary market prices seem OK but lol at $50 400-level seats on a Monday against the Flames.

Yeah I get a ton of emails too. I haven't been back post-covid but I used to grab weeknight tickets occasionally when I had the itch. The biggest thing is all the 400 level seats are up. Used to be, even in early 2020, that you could get decent nosebleed seats for like $25. It was easy to do that on a whim but $50 + food + a beer or two (even if you have those somewhere outside the stadium) ends up being like $100, which is a lot to spend on a whim.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Pens cut some nobodies and sent them back to their respective places in the O and AHL. Or wherever. Someone I completely forget about also let go off PTO. :shrug: here's the people sent to Detroit for tonight -

https://twitter.com/penguins/status/1706411607041970367

Friedman got banged up over the weekend so a little surprised to see him. PoJ/Smith likely going to head to head for the NHL roster spot. PoJ definitely had the stronger showing in the split squad game over the weekend. Up front nothing super notable....I guess if Brayden Yager can continue to impress with his preseason showing...Poulin had a better game over the weekend, but really hasn't stood out. Gruden popped up with a goal and with Zohorna had a good game against CBJ. The notable omission, to me, is Wagner. He had an extremely good game against a fairly strong Jackets team scoring and setting a goal up. Anyways this is already too many words about very pointless hockey. Soon though....

Meanwhile, Detroit trots out half their NHL roster, including their whole first line

https://twitter.com/DetroitRedWings/status/1706670581003993213

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Mind_Taker posted:

I think 90% of the fans at Caps home games are just there to see Ovie sock some dingers. Aside from Ovie they have become an incredibly boring team on top of being bad.

I don't mind them stinking this year but I hope they at least try to compete for a playoff spot one more time before Ovie hangs 'em up.

I got tickets for Caps at Habs in October. It's funny, the habs shoot twice side is in less demand than the Ovi shoots twice side.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The ticket prices for every game the Caps play the second half of 24-25 are going to be bonkers

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Mind_Taker posted:

I think 90% of the fans at Caps home games are just there to see Ovie sock some dingers.

Got to see Ovi score two to take 2nd on the goals list, 100% of the fans (and 75% of the Winnipeg Jets) were definitely glad to be there in person for that. The energy was as electric as the playoffs. Ovi dingers are good.

Eric the Mauve posted:

The ticket prices for every game the Caps play the second half of 24-25 are going to be bonkers

It’ll be similar to what’s happened in MLS with Messi showing up. Ticket prices for every game with Inter Miami jumped at least 5x versus other games on the schedule.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'd rather spend the money to sit behind the bench again during this lovely garbage season than pay up to see the big dinger honestly. I did it once and the amount of cursing the man does needs to be heard up-close to be believed.

Though I guess if it happens at home it'll probably be the last crowd pop at that arena that could approach 2018 for a while. :gbsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Ty Smith sucks. He is an okayish, unremarkable player at the AHL level and totally overmatched in the NHL. If there's any competition at all it's only because Sullivan hates POJ so much.

Sexy Hexy got taken to the cleaners by the Devils

He sure did!

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Meanwhile, Detroit trots out half their NHL roster, including their whole first line

https://twitter.com/DetroitRedWings/status/1706670581003993213

Cool. A ton of NHLers on the backend too lol. CBJ trotted out maybe 4 of their top 6 and their star draft pick so interested to see how the plugs do against an even better roster.