Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!
there's also a point where refusing to consider an idea outside the consensus becomes powerful motivated reasoning powered by the impression of an arbitrary quantity of social proof

to take an example outside of the subject, my 101 psych prof was adamant that dogs can't make a conscious decisions. this was because his discipline had followed the assumptions of an important scientist on the subject diligently and productively, but refused to explore outside them.... that scientist being aristotle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Inspector Hound posted:

Your search works???

Does yours not?

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Finally posadism is a meme ideology invented for video game purposes and it’s cringey

posadism was invented before video games were a thing

accept the light of alien jesus, friend

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Log082 posted:

who was it that made that there entire gimmick?

I can't remember their name but there was definitely a poster that got two different threads arguing with each other.

gently caress that's beautiful

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

WEH posted:

Does yours not?

I try every once in a while and it's finicky

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Bideo James posted:

playing synths for ufos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNyG-xu-7SQ

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

its obvious that someone accidentally mixed up the fighter pilot meth with the radar grease so now we've got jittery radar and greased-up pilots so everything is all screwy

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

That loam dude is so scared aliens are actually real lmao

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Log082 posted:

I can't remember their name but there was definitely a poster that got two different threads arguing with each other. maybe one who did the same thing with an SA thread and a reddit... whatever you call the mess that reddit uses for comments

the succ zone

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

im stoked that aliens are real and that i also cant tell who's serious posting and who's irony posting so i'm just taking every post at face value, as is my wont

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Log082 posted:

I can't remember their name but there was definitely a poster that got two different threads arguing with each other. maybe one who did the same thing with an SA thread and a reddit... whatever you call the mess that reddit uses for comments

i feel like that gimmick pre-dates reddit and it would be the pa forums or something

i watched a 1970s ufo documentary while doing some art last night and i think i accumulated some sanity damage.

tHe OvErLoRds oF ThE uFo
https://youtu.be/wUtQInW3T_k

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

don’t post about aliens! the thread title specifically says not to

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Wheeee posted:

Let's be honest here, the people who even entertain the idea of aliens are so far down the motivated reasoning hole that they can't properly evaluate actual evidence. They also get super defensive that you have dared to object to their opinion and that they are victims and being silenced by anyone not willing to entertain the idea that it could actually be aliens.

It's like the conservative / conspiracy theorist victim complex applied to aliens.

You just don't see the truth maaaaan

Can we please for the love of things that are actually interesting and relayed to space, ban UFO stuff to its own thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9O94UTDAJQ

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!

Wheeee posted:

A giant fake moon landing level conspiracy, unlikely as it is, is still far more likely and plausible than aliens being here at the same time we are.

parroting the Very Serious Person opinion about things isn't impressive anymore dude

im not sure if you follow astronomy but we can actually find planets with signs of inhabitability now. there are tons of candidates, the evidence is currently leaning towards abundant life in the universe

the consensus you have internalized is outdated because unidentified aircraft in US rspace now might be new drone tech, and the risk of suppressing valid sightings of spy tech now outweighs the need to suppress accounts of experimental American tech being tested

your entire understanding of what is rational on this subject is literally nothing but a set of memes designed to prevent you from listening to and repeating accurate empirical accounts of sensitive American military technology. they never cared if these other things are aliens before, they just cared that if you saw a prototype stealth bomber that you wouldn't be able to shout it loud enough for China to figure out something about the tech based on your account.

you associate the entire subject matter with shame and insanity because this served American military interests, you moron, you compete unthinking tool

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 22:05 on Jun 6, 2021

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Log082 posted:

thank you for doing this so we don't have to

that said, is ANYONE surprised that dnd is violently opposed to even talking about cool UFO videos?

an entire forum of mick wests lol

but at least mick west will actually talk about it

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

pancake rabbit posted:

lol we have been owned

lol drat

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

Hodgepodge posted:

parroting the Very Serious Person opinion about things isn't impressive anymore dude

im not sure if you follow astronomy but we can actually find planets with signs of inhabitability

the consensus you have internalized is outdated because unidentified aircraft in us airspace now might be new drone tech, and the risk of suppressing valid sightings of spy tech now outweighs the need to suppress accounts of experimental American tech being tested

your entire understanding of what is rational on this subject is literally nothing but a set of memes designed to prevent you from listening to and repeating accurate empirical accounts of sensitive American military technology.

you associate the entire subject matter with shame and insanity because this served American military interests, you moron, you compete unthinking tool

lol

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
Their covid thread started the same way, anemic and skeptical.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

ahahaha that was great

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!

Zisky posted:

Their covid thread started the same way, anemic and skeptical.

ufo thread day 1: lol UFOs lol weed

day 670: I Am thE eArth motTer!

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Hodgepodge posted:

im not sure if you follow astronomy but we can actually find planets with signs of inhabitability now. there are tons of candidates, the evidence is currently leaning towards abundant life in the universe

the consensus you have internalized is outdated because unidentified aircraft in US rspace now might be new drone tech, and the risk of suppressing valid sightings of spy tech now outweighs the need to suppress accounts of experimental American tech being tested

your entire understanding of what is rational on this subject is literally nothing but a set of memes designed to prevent you from listening to and repeating accurate empirical accounts of sensitive American military technology. they never cared if these other things are aliens before, they just cared that if you saw a prototype stealth bomber that you wouldn't be able to shout it loud enough for China to figure out something about the tech based on your account.

I'm a mechanical engineer with a very good understanding of thermodynamics, thermal storage, heat pumps, and other thermal technologies.

We have no method of masking thermal radiation beyond moving that heat to a radiator and letting thermal radiation and convection take the heat away, or moving it into some sort of thermal mass where it can be stored.

The amount of power required to move a small drone around would exceed it's cooling capacity, and would appear very bright in thermal spectrum.

If it wanted to get rid of that heat it would have large radiating surfaces to get rid of the heat. It is now a large drone with obvious radiators, which would be also very obviously warm.

Luckily the simple explanation is balloons.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!

Wheeee posted:

I'm a mechanical engineer with a very good understanding of thermodynamics, thermal storage, heat pumps, and other thermal technologies.

We have no method of masking thermal radiation beyond moving that heat to a radiator and letting thermal radiation and convection take the heat away, or moving it into some sort of thermal mass where it can be stored.

The amount of power required to move a small drone around would exceed it's cooling capacity, and would appear very bright in thermal spectrum.

If it wanted to get rid of that heat it would have large radiating surfaces to get rid of the heat. It is now a large drone with obvious radiators, which would be also very obviously warm.

cool, are you saying the videos and such being released are explained somehow by this and America's military is admitting that they cannot control their airspace because of balloons?

that would be pretty amazing in its own right

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hodgepodge posted:

cool, are you saying the videos and such being released are explained somehow by this and America's military is admitting that they cannot control their airspace because of balloons?

It’s a bit to wind you up.

Is this a bit to wind me up?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Hodgepodge posted:

that would be pretty amazing in its own right

I never said alien life in the universe is woo. The idea that they are here flying around in our atmosphere is.

If you had any understanding of what you are implying is possible by thinking they are here visiting is so beyond absurd it slides from interesting discussion into a childlike discussion of imaginary things.

Aliens likely exist statistically in the universe. There is no proof of that however, and I cannot say I know they exist or make assumptions as if they did. The data we have shows that aliens are not anywhere we have looked actively. It's a small data set, and the margin of error is quite large, but it's the data we have.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

im losing it over here, i don't know how deep it goes either :iiam:

in cspam, nobody is the straight man

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

i mean that would be an accurate summary of events if the balloon explanation were true and also extremely on brand for 2021 so i can't discount it

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

source u are quotes

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
I’m straight but I’m not a man which makes me unable to fall for fool’s tricks. aliens are real my friends

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

"i have news that may alarm and shock you, ufo thread. the ufos...... may in fact, not be aliens at all, but something more explainable"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvK6KsLkPUs

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Delta-Wye posted:

im losing it over here, i don't know how deep it goes either :iiam:

in cspam, nobody is the straight man

We’re like the characters in a sci-fi film who walk in on a hologram replaying security footage of past events and confusedly try to interact with it before realizing what we’re seeing.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

https://i.imgur.com/G1Ejekj.mp4

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Hodgepodge posted:

yeah, a lot of sci-fi is fascist fear mongering

i keep thinking of the Balrog from LotR because its cool af, and has as much to do with reality as the most recent sci-fi high concept wank written by an engineer

at least use banks' term (outside context problem)

yeah that's fair

Hodgepodge posted:

there's also a point where refusing to consider an idea outside the consensus becomes powerful motivated reasoning powered by the impression of an arbitrary quantity of social proof

to take an example outside of the subject, my 101 psych prof was adamant that dogs can't make a conscious decisions. this was because his discipline had followed the assumptions of an important scientist on the subject diligently and productively, but refused to explore outside them.... that scientist being aristotle

ah, but have you considered: aliens are obviously fake

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!

Wheeee posted:

I never said alien life in the universe is woo. The idea that they are here flying around in our atmosphere is.

If you had any understanding of what you are implying is possible by thinking they are here visiting is so beyond absurd it slides from interesting discussion into a childlike discussion of imaginary things.

Aliens likely exist statistically in the universe. There is no proof of that however, and I cannot say I know they exist or make assumptions as if they did. The data we have shows that aliens are not anywhere we have looked actively. It's a small data set, and the margin of error is quite large, but it's the data we have.

okay but here's the thing: what if your electrical engineering degree and reasonable acceptance of a consensus that is explicitly based on an incomplete understanding of the universe plus what happened to be convenient to the US military at the time has lead you to make incorrect assumptions with far too much faith.

like Alcubierre drives could be impossible or based on errors in GR, but they no longer require exotic matter and provide ftl that is perfectly compatible with our current understanding of physics on a theoretical level

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Bullfrog posted:

Upon disclosure there certainly would be tons of people having panic attacks and stuff. Especially people who are used to a western, "rational" sort of viewpoint. But over time I think it would quickly be assimilated into the same mental space as gods, angels, ghosts, etc, if the aliens happened to be inscrutable and unexplainable instead of Meat Creatures we could just casually talk to. An overwhelming number of people believe in all those things and it doesn't necessarily send them into fits of mass chaos

If the aliens aren't giving us free energy and killing congress then I still gotta go to work in the morning. If they land on the white house lawn I'll have to watch it after my shift.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I have it on good authority that aliens are posting in this very thread

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

imagine coming into the ufo thread to loudly tell everyone that the extraterrestrial hypothesis is bunk and thinking that's a massive revelation

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

my favorite thing is all of the people that loudly and vehemently insist that the size of space makes it impossible for any alien spacecraft to have arrived here

Smarter people than me have run the calculations (though I've done it myself in a back-of-the-envelope kind of way)

If you posit that you're looking at a von Neuman probe system, replicating itself and spreading over the galaxy for science or reconnaissance or for alien reality tv beamed back at c, they could spread over the entire galaxy in about 500,000 years, no magic drives needed. We could build a system like that almost today; I think we're lacking sufficient automated self assembly systems to replicate, but that's not something couldn't develop or that doesn't have a clear engineering and research line from our current understanding of technology.

It's also a rather neat resolution to Fermi's paradox, in the sense that if this is the case, there is no paradox. Instead of trying to decide between life being common and mysteriously absent, or so uncommon we're the only example... it would turn out that life is common and it's here already, we just haven't realized.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!

A MIRACLE posted:

I have it on good authority that goons are posting in this very thread

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hodgepodge posted:

okay but here's the thing: what if your electrical engineering degree and reasonable acceptance of a consensus that is explicitly based on an incomplete understanding of the universe plus what happened to be convenient to the US military at the time has lead you to make incorrect assumptions with far too much faith.

like Alcubierre drives could be impossible or based on errors in GR, but they no longer require exotic matter and provide ftl that is perfectly compatible with our current understanding of physics on a theoretical level

This is a giant nothing. This is getting really loving sad and desperate at this point.

I want to make this very very clear.

Alien craft are not visiting the earth, and any discussion of the idea without any proof is akin to solipsism. We work with hard evidence, quantitative data, and known physical principles. Nobody has provided any of those three things. Blurry video is not evidence. eye witness testimony is not evidence. inconclusive pictures are not evidence.

if you believe there are aliens visiting earth despite the lack of evidence, you are making the same argument that creationists make regarding god. It is not science, it is not even debate. it is farce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Wheeee posted:

Understanding thermal dynamics isn't impressive in this context. Quantum physics is more important. Obviously aliens have solved the unified field theory, and are able to manipulate gravity and mass. They don't have high heat output because they require very little energy. With the flip of a switch, a multi ton craft now weighs only a few pounds. The forces involved in turning and stopping are also greatly reduced, because the object has no mass.

Like, who gives a poo poo about mechanical engineering and thermal dynamics? You're relying on expertise in a field that has nothing to do with this.