Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
The first thing I do if I ever hit the lottery is get the Payday guys to make a Shadowrun game where you do runs Payday style

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

SirFozzie posted:

The first thing I do if I ever hit the lottery is get the Payday guys to make a Shadowrun game where you do runs Payday style

I have maintained for years that Payday: UCAS would be god drat amazing, and I would put down money for this right now if there was a kickstarter or something.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I've always envisioned a kind of souped up version of the old rainbow six games where you and your pals will have this planning screen to put your collected intel on and try to plan out routes, and then you execute in a Metal Gear Solid 5 style map,. I think there's been some part of everything you'd want in a shadowrun game in some other game at some point already. Someone's just got to come along and put it all together in one gloriously rain-slicked neon mess.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Magil of Shadow posted:

And now, thanks to my mind going in strange directions, picturing how the world of Brutal Legend would adapt to Shadowrun
I once made a character based on that. But unfortunately I didn't get a chance to play it.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

I dont know posted:

When I abandoned the mission, Luca is still waiting in the coffee shop afterwards. All he does is insult you a bunch and then say the Lodge considered revenge against you, but decided you are to worthless and pathetic to waste the resources. Good riddance, it's a shame you can't just waste him then and there.

You're thinking of a message you get on your mission computer which I'll probably show off later. You don't ever see Luca again in person if you scrub the job.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

GhostStalker posted:

Gonna call me on using trogs, breeders, and stunties too? I forget if Orks and Trolls use flatfaces for humans, they have one that's pretty good that's slipping my mind at the moment if that isn't it.

Man, fantastic racism comes with some of the best fake slurs around.

Reminding me of an ill-fated tabletop game where one of the other players tried to assure an elf that he wasn't racist by saying, "Hey, come on, I love keebs."

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

So, how would you play a Shadowrun in the Star Wars universe?

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Siegkrow posted:

It would be something like this most likely

If you're talking about tabletop, then it's not that hard. Plenty of corps/hutts/crime syndicates in the SW universe that you could do shady work for.

mauman fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jun 4, 2018

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Siegkrow posted:

Nar Shaddaa. A whole planetmoon full of massive skyscrapers and crime. It appears in KotoR 2, which also includes raiding corporate offices and other stuff of that nature.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

I was thinking a bit more.personal, as in, how would YOU GUYS run a Shadowrun in the SW universe.

(Also I'm pretty sure the Solo movie is p. Much just that)

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'd personally run it as a no-Jedi game, or in a setting where Grey Jedi can be a thing. Maybe an ambitious Hutt can be their Mr. Jabba, or someone from <Insert Government Name Here> Intelligence needs easily deniable assets for a run against <Insert Rival Government Name Here>. Hell, the Jedi Council might need someone to get dirty work done, work that might lead to one of their own turning to the dark side, but a bunch of thugs might be able to carry out without too much of a strain on their consciences.

That said, tone-wise, it'd have to be much brighter than Shadowrun's default. My suggestion is to look to Rogue One for inspiration, as it IS how a Star Wars shadowrun could go.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Siegkrow posted:

I was thinking a bit more.personal, as in, how would YOU GUYS run a Shadowrun in the SW universe.

(Also I'm pretty sure the Solo movie is p. Much just that)

Not really. The new Solo movie is more like a (badly done) firefly than Shadowrun.

CommissarMega posted:

I'd personally run it as a no-Jedi game, or in a setting where Grey Jedi can be a thing. Maybe an ambitious Hutt can be their Mr. Jabba, or someone from <Insert Government Name Here> Intelligence needs easily deniable assets for a run against <Insert Rival Government Name Here>. Hell, the Jedi Council might need someone to get dirty work done, work that might lead to one of their own turning to the dark side, but a bunch of thugs might be able to carry out without too much of a strain on their consciences.

That said, tone-wise, it'd have to be much brighter than Shadowrun's default. My suggestion is to look to Rogue One for inspiration, as it IS how a Star Wars shadowrun could go.

I had a d20 Star wars module called Tempest feud. It dealt HEAVILY with hutts, crime syndicates, drugs, and corporate interests. It was actually pretty good. Probably the closest thing to Shadowrun you'll find in the Star Wars universe.

mauman fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jun 4, 2018

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Siegkrow posted:

Play with the Edge of the Empire rules set, which focuses on scoundrels, smugglers, and scumbags, leaving organized military action and Force weirdness to its sister product lines.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

“If you want a picture of the future, imagine a fist punching in a Nazi's face—for ever.”

*Dietrich smiles and raises a clenched fist that is also on fire*

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

CannonFodder posted:

“If you want a picture of the future, imagine a fist punching in a Nazi's face—for ever.”

A.B.P.

Always. Be. Punching. (nazis)

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

CommissarMega posted:

The Old Republic era (like from the MMO) is actually pretty neat because of this. There is a Republic and an Empire fighting over the galaxy, with the "Populated" zones split at the middle, and the outer rim, wild space and unknown regions being a wild frontier where both sides look for ancient plagues and weapons, allies and enemies.

In this era there are so many Jedi and Sith that the average smuggler and trooper have stratagems on how to fight them. There are enough Jedi that they are allowed to leave the order if they feel they don't fit in (for example, there is a Jedi that retired from the Order to become a spymaster for the republic).

The imperial and Republic Strategic Intelligence Services(SIS) are ALWAYS leading missions against one another. The Hutt Cartel and Czerka Corporation control most of the economy.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Fighting Trousers posted:

A.B.P.

:hai:

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

So, what happened in Japan? I've seen a lot about the EMPRAH and Japanocorps and Sararimen with katanas and massive racism, But how did it end up like this?

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

CannonFodder posted:

Fighting Trousers posted:

A.B.P.

:hai:

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Siegkrow posted:

So, what happened in Japan? I've seen a lot about the EMPRAH and Japanocorps and Sararimen with katanas and massive racism, But how did it end up like this?

Japanocorps got super rich and powerful again and lifted the country out of recession. Then the J-corps goaded South Korea into attacking North Korea. NK launched nukes at Japan, but the nukes utterly failed to go off. Next thing you know Japan has taken military control of the entire Korean peninsula and is feeling imperialistic and unstoppable again. Japan now controls most of what they controlled at the advent of WW2, and San Francisco to boot. Of course the corporations control the Japanese government, their military, and the Emperor and his family.

Japan gets a volcanic kick in the rear end when Haley's Comet passes through and the Ring of Fire goes off, but that's a decade after this game's timeframe.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Because Shadowrun is written in the 80s when Japan was the big economic boogeyman.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

From what I know Shadowrun Japan is basically an exaggerated version of 80's Japan from an American point of view. Take the things it is/would've been known for, like their growing influence and xenophobia, and take them to an extreme level.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yeah at this point Shadowrun is firmly alternate history where the 90s recession never happened and the economic growth never slowed down. In that time, Japanese corporations become more powerful and eventually ally with conservative forces within the country to make things more totalitarian and bring the Empire back. Shiawase becomes the "first" megacorp in 2001 when the US Supreme Court renders a legal decision that creates the first legal basis for corporate extraterritoriality.

It's all extremely the future of the 80's. Hence why there's a multi-decade period in the 21st century where computers work more like they did in the mid=80s than they do today.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Ah so that's why so much 80's "Earth but 50 years into the future" media has japanese neon sign poo poo all over.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Yes, it's all very much the economic anxiety of Reagan's (and Bush I) America. A Japanese corp purchased Rockefeller Center, Chrysler had to be bailed out, etc.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
It all seems rather quaint given where Japan is today.

I was generally unimpressed with the Shadowrun book on religion in the Sixth World I read. It was very “this was written by white comfortable atheist nerds with very little real background in theology”. The idea of a middle eastern super caliphate is eye roll worthy given that the fulcrum of Islam has long since shifted to southeast Asia, and the writers seemed almost allergic to ascribing any ACTUAL system of beliefs to anyone.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Captain Oblivious posted:

It all seems rather quaint given where Japan is today.

I was generally unimpressed with the Shadowrun book on religion in the Sixth World I read. It was very “this was written by white comfortable atheist nerds with very little real background in theology”. The idea of a middle eastern super caliphate is eye roll worthy given that the fulcrum of Islam has long since shifted to southeast Asia, and the writers seemed almost allergic to ascribing any ACTUAL system of beliefs to anyone.

So, ISIL/ISIS didn't happen you say?

I mean, it's kinda scary actually that they predicted such an action in the middle east. Thankfully, unlike the fictional world, they didn't succeed to the point that the AFA did. With the distractions that the sixth world were dealing with (magic, super tech, vitas, Euro wars) is it really that far fetched that a group of fanatics could take advantage of the power vacume/distractions present?

Personally, I'd say no it's not.

Honestly, I thought they were quite optimistic considering their predictions for Palestine and Israel. And what you call "written by white comfortable atheist nerds" I call "too close to reality for comfort".

mauman fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 5, 2018

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
SR:R news: Hare Brained Schemes just got bought up lock stock and barrel by Paradox.
Not sure where that leaves any future Shadowrun games tbh.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

communism bitch posted:

SR:R news: Hare Brained Schemes just got bought up lock stock and barrel by Paradox.

Hopefully the future is a CKII style game where you play as a dragon or megacorp.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?

communism bitch posted:

Very good from what I hear. I also know as a fact that Shadowrun: Returns have a lot of fans at PI.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Soylent Pudding posted:

Hopefully the future is a CKII style game where you play as a dragon or megacorp.

Now THAT would be a perspective flip.

Color me intrigued......

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

mauman posted:

So, ISIS didn't happen you say?

I mean, it's kinda scary actually that they predicted such an action in the middle east. Thankfully, unlike the fictional world, they didn't succeed to the point that the AFA did. With the distractions that the sixth world were dealing with (magic, super tech, vitas, Euro wars) is it really that far fetched that a group of fanatics could take advantage of the power vacume/distractions present?

Personally, I'd say no it's not.

Honestly, I thought they were quite optimistic considering their predictions for Palestine and Israel. And what you call "written by white comfortable atheist nerds" I call "uncomfortably too close to reality for comfort".

consider: a bunch of nerds in the 80s figured that the divisions in American society were significant enough that confronted by the dumb nonsense of the Shadowrun universe there was no way it could possibly hold together

the same nerds, presented with a part of the world subject to more than a thousand years' worth of ethnic, religious, and nationalist strife, decide that all that poo poo gets swept under the table and they unify, because gently caress it, brown people gonna brown people

this is, politely speaking, Lazy As gently caress, but it is explainable by the writers being exactly the kind of nerd who figures ISIS is some kind of pan-islamic unifying force because it's got "islamic" in the name.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

communism bitch posted:

good news in all probability. Paradox has been trying to break out of the Grand Strategy niche, and HBS has demonstrated they can build from the ground up in that regard

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

I was under the impression that HBS had no plans on making any more Shadowrun games anyway, so I doubt there's much of a change on that front.

Wonder how Battletech did for them in the end.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Kanfy posted:

I was under the impression that HBS had no plans on making any more Shadowrun games anyway, so I doubt there's much of a change on that front.

Extremely well, as I gather. It's a good year for HBS.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Ze Pollack posted:

consider: a bunch of nerds in the 80s figured that the divisions in American society were significant enough that confronted by the dumb nonsense of the Shadowrun universe there was no way it could possibly hold together

the same nerds, presented with a part of the world subject to more than a thousand years' worth of ethnic, religious, and nationalist strife, decide that all that poo poo gets swept under the table and they unify, because gently caress it, brown people gonna brown people

this is, politely speaking, Lazy As gently caress, but it is explainable by the writers being exactly the kind of nerd who figures ISIS is some kind of pan-islamic unifying force because it's got "islamic" in the name.

Comparing what happened in America vs. happened in the middle east in Shadowrun is a case of apples to oranges.

The middle east didn't have to deal with a group of people (native Americans) literally turning the land against them.

The middle east didn't have to deal with corporations and their stupid territoriality to the extent of the Americas.

And hey, the AFA ultimately failed so they're not united?

Finally - it's dystopian fiction. And a key part of that kind of fiction is to take extremes and make them reality.

mauman fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 5, 2018

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Kanfy posted:

Did they ever say positively they were done with SR for good? I thought they were just burned out and wanted a break, but had vague intentions of returning to the setting down the road.
Jordan Wiseman did create Shadowrun after all, so it's his baby as much as BT.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Kanfy posted:

indications thus far are "Extremely Well," and Paradox taking the opportunity to buy them up now suggests they're worried the asking price would be higher if they waited.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Yea, talking to some of the HBS staff at Pdxcon this year they've been overwhelmed by how well the game has done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Now we just need some of that sweet Swedish money to kill the dragon that is Catalyst.