Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Eyud posted:

That whole video is based on the assumption that a lower FOV is better but he never explains why or provides any evidence. If he has compared lap times, how much time and practice did he give to testing higher FOVs? How long does it take for someone to fully adjust to a different FOV? He talks about how you shouldn't rely on the FOV to know when a car is alongside anyway, and how the view is totally fine once you get used to it, but isn't that true for any FOV? I understand the whole "mathematically correct" angle, I'm just not convinced it's the most important consideration (at least for single screen setups).

Yep, works great in the Skip too.

Maybe try watching it again? He does explain why it is better. If you don't want to watch again, then I'll tell you. A correct (low) FOV makes the sim seem slow, but this is actually the correct speed. It makes things be scaled correctly, so you can gauge distances and the size of objects the same way you would in real life. It also makes the part of the screen you're looking at larger. With a wide FOV, the part of the track ahead of you is crammed into a small portion of the screen. This may make it look like you're going really fast, but it's actually hurting you. Also, a wider FOV usually only adds in the A pillar and maybe more of the dash, so your screen real estate is taken up by nothing useful and you can actually see less than with a smaller FOV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010
Driving across slight bumps in the track is felt pretty harshly in my wheel, e.g. driving the SRF around LRP feels pretty rough even when I'm just on the asphalt. Are my FFB settings out of wack or is it working as intended you think?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

Driving across slight bumps in the track is felt pretty harshly in my wheel, e.g. driving the SRF around LRP feels pretty rough even when I'm just on the asphalt. Are my FFB settings out of wack or is it working as intended you think?

iRacing has an "auto FFB" feature in the FFB (Grphics?) black box. after a bit of driving it makes sure you are't peaking / overloading and then adjusts it accordingly.

FFB strength is also different in different vehicles, Indy is much stiffer than the cup cars / Trucks

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

tater_salad posted:

iRacing has an "auto FFB" feature in the FFB (Grphics?) black box. after a bit of driving it makes sure you are't peaking / overloading and then adjusts it accordingly.

FFB strength is also different in different vehicles, Indy is much stiffer than the cup cars / Trucks

I have attempted to have it generally not clip, but I'll try it out. But fairly harsh bumps are normal?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

What wheel do you have and what settings are you using? Both in iRacing and in whatever profiler you use in windows?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Larrymer posted:

What wheel do you have and what settings are you using? Both in iRacing and in whatever profiler you use in windows?

This.

It depends on the vehicle.. in an open wheel racecar bumps are kind of harsh.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010
I have a G29. Doesn't seem to have as many software options as the 27 or I can't find them. I have it on 900 degrees, spring off, sens 50% which is default. In game I have linear off, osc dampening off, strength 9.7 (auto. Had 7.2 before) in the SRF at LRP, dampening 10%, min force 13% (I believe some software test told me those two).
I mean the bumps are clearly bumps in the track and do give me information, just feels a bit rough.

Hulebr00670065006e fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 23, 2018

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

iRacing does tend towards a very firm steering feel. Consider that most of the wheels upgrading from the G29 are designed to provide even stronger feedback (i.e. giant rear end direct-acting motors).

Some of it is a car/track combo. DW12 around any sort of rough track will really make your wheel work for it.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
When I used a G25 it was harsher in iracing than what I have now, I think it's the gear driven FFB that does it

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

When I used a G25 it was harsher in iracing than what I have now, I think it's the gear driven FFB that does it

Yeah gear driven is more of a clunk than a wiggle / bump.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

2018 DW12 out of nowhere. :stonk:

I was already planning on jumping back in after spending a season and a half binging on FPS games, but that just sealed it.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Gooncar: 2018 starts :siren: Sunday 11th :siren:

Preseason warmup race I reckon, so thinking of something with the lowest possible barrier to entry. Old DW12 at Old Pocono? :getin:

Vando fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Feb 28, 2018

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I said that on the discord but I'll say it again here - the new old Indycar at Old Pocono is very fan and you all should do it especially since its free content!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It's an amazing car / track combination.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Plan:

This Sunday (4th): Miata at Summit Point, rookie induction race etc

Next Sunday (11th): DW12 at Old Pocono, rookie destruction race

Usual time, 2130UTC (1630ET)

:getin:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkWtfmnYpOY

I refuse to call this anything other than the DW12 but :hellyeah:

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
MX-5s at Summit were good as hell yesterday, ending with me vs Coja swapping places on the last lap through about 4 corners in a row. So we're going to do a full season of this, after Pocono in the DW12 next week.

Calendar:

DW12 @ Pocono (March 11th, preseason)

Okayama (March 18th)
Lime Rock (March 25th)
Summit Point (April 1st)
Laguna Seca (April 8th)
New Hampshire double header! (April 15th)

Yes it's all free content except for the last race. No excuses :getin:

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010
What is this week 13 business? Right now I'm in line for a promotion. Should I just chill for a week and run the non official stuff if I decide to play?

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

What is this week 13 business? Right now I'm in line for a promotion. Should I just chill for a week and run the non official stuff if I decide to play?

week 13 is a handful of 'fun' races that don't count at all, as well as one or two official series races still available for those just on the brink of earning a promotion. So : go have fun.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If you are worried about a promotion, and you have hit the MPR and SR requirements, then you should avoid official Week 13 races like the plague. Stick to the unofficial races and don't get too angry when poo poo goes sideways.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

The Week 13 lineup appears to be pretty boring this time around, the only cool thing is the Radicals being one of the official series so maybe they could get some participation for a change.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

Vando posted:

MX-5s at Summit were good as hell yesterday, ending with me vs Coja swapping places on the last lap through about 4 corners in a row. So we're going to do a full season of this, after Pocono in the DW12 next week.

Calendar:

DW12 @ Pocono (March 11th, preseason)

Okayama (March 18th)
Lime Rock (March 25th)
Summit Point (April 1st)
Laguna Seca (April 8th)

Yes it's all free content except for the last race. No excuses :getin:

I totally misread this and thought you were offering DW12s at Lime Rock and Summit Point :stare:

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Well now that it's been said, maybe it should be a bonus round.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010
How long are the races normally? Cause it's a little late for me here in EU land on Sundays.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The race was 25 minutes. I don't remember how long qualy was. It's about an hour commitment altogether.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Yeah 35/25 split, finishes up at 2330CET.

Also this is the kind of stuff the Mazda enables:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'd that the first corner? I like that we were able to make contact but were still able to keep racing. The skip is fun and all, but I think we need a car that is more forgiving of contact.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Cojawfee posted:

I'd that the first corner? I like that we were able to make contact but were still able to keep racing. The skip is fun and all, but I think we need a car that is more forgiving of contact.

Audi 90 GTO

Also nice Fanta livery

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Also, all the turbo noises.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah this was the move about 4 laps from the end. The stewards reviewed it and welp sorry, 'causing a collision' 10s time penalty looks like I won after all :v:

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGTiyB6qS6g

Guess what isn't fixed on the new Indycar.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

never figured it would be.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Good.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Hello everyone since Vando hasn't I thought that I'd post that we're having a race in the DW12 at Old Pocono - starts in five minutes (9:30pm GMT; 5:30pm EDT); with a twenty minute practice you have to be in before 9:50/5:50 to get in the race. Its a thirty minute race; with the race starting around 10pm/6pm.

Car and track are now both free: the DW12 is a great car and very well suited to Pocono which is a unique oval and very very fun in the DW12. Crazy fast but that's what makes it fun!

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
The DW12 is good as hell and you should all race it next time ok bye

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Roller Coast Guard posted:

I totally misread this and thought you were offering DW12s at Lime Rock and Summit Point :stare:

We ran IR05s at Lime Rock once and it ruled. because I won

I'm sad I missed Pocono, I've been lazy about getting my rig set back up but the IR18 dropping way early is some good motivation to get back in.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Gooncar Mazda Challenge starts :siren: tonight :siren: at the regular time, check your league sessions etc

If you're new and not in the league, grab me (or anyone) on discord and we'll add you, this is the 100% best time to get started doing a Gooncar bc it's impossible to gently caress up and everything is free for four full rounds :getin:

Schedule:

Okayama (March 18th) 
Lime Rock (March 25th) 
Summit Point (April 1st) 
Laguna Seca (April 8th) 

Outlaw Mailman
Jul 1, 2007
Two kinds of crazy
God I am terrible in the MX5. I had no idea what I was doing, on a layout I'd never run before. Then, for some reason I chose to do laundry rather than practice. Still worth it for the typical Gooncar shenanigans happening way ahead of me. Hope to do it again next week!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Outlaw Mailman posted:

God I am terrible in the MX5. I had no idea what I was doing, on a layout I'd never run before. Then, for some reason I chose to do laundry rather than practice. Still worth it for the typical Gooncar shenanigans happening way ahead of me. Hope to do it again next week!

The MX-5 is definitely a momentum car. You have to be a very good driver to extract good lap times from it because it will punish you for not taking corners right or losing too much speed before coming out onto a straight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Man I can't wait till I'm done with school this winter and reupping my subscription is worthwhile and realistic. I've got a great base of road cars in the mx5, skip, and 911 cup. Might also buy the frenault, but I'll probably focus on buying tracks for a while, because C is about where my talent runs out for controlling the cars reliably, and I wanna get more gooder before stepping any higher.

Plus the mx5 is fun as gently caress, especially when you don't have to worry about setup in the rookie matches (just have to worry about the rookies)