Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I think Battletech will eventually be good if they can speed up the animations and get rid of all the little pauses that happen for no readily apparent reason. the turns are sooooo slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
imo the Shadowruns are all good but not special or great or anything. Plus they don't code eight-directional cover, so being shot at from an angle, even if you have a wall that provides high profile cover in your cardinal directions, counts as if you were being flanked. Due to these and other gripes related to the way the gameplay systems are implemented, I unfortunately don't have much confidence in their ability to produce a grand strategy combat game.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

DrNutt posted:

Unity Engine seems like one of the great democratizing game development tools of our time but only like 5% of devs are able to make games that don't feel cheap and lovely using it. There are so many survival games on Steam that look neat until you actually play them and realize they're hot garbage at a level barely above stock tools/assets.

Unreal Engine creator Tim Sweeney posted:

If you look at the last five or six years of engines, the competition between Epic and Unity has been defined by initial ease-of-use, where Unity has the advantage. Whereas over the life cycle of actually shipping a game, for performance, on multiple platforms, Unreal has had the advantage. That's because everything we do is aimed at being able to ship epic-scale games, which are the kind of games we build. That's actually quite a bit trickier than making it easy for a team of three people to create something quickly.

Now the Unreal Engine is about 20 times the code size of Unreal Engine 1. The tools are maybe 10 times the complexity, and necessarily so. People come into Unreal and they say "oh my god" because there are a lot of menu options. Then they go with Unity, and they say "oh so nice and easy." And they get to the point where they're trying to ship their product, and they go "oh poo poo, now we need to license source code, so we can add some features to the engine because they're not in the menus!" So, you know, that's the dichotomy.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Unreal makes it so much easier to hide your cashgrab with some bullshots slapped on the store page.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Huh, the Unreal guy thinks Unreal is better? I guess he'd know.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I played a bunch of Swords of Ditto this afternoon and can confirm, it's a real fun zelda with a roguelike twist. It's kind of a shame it doesn't have online multiplayer but it's still very enjoyable solo and I bet the local coop is going to pretty great. Despite the Four Days Until Final Boss setup, my first non-tutorial life went for a few hours, there's a fair few side-quests and optional dungeons you can find while exploring the map outside of the surprisingly puzzle-y main dungeons. It saves your progress through each life too, so you don't have to sit and do the whole thing in one go, so that's neat. It seems really cool so far and I hope people check it out if they like that top-down zelda style and don't mind the idea of permadeath

Knorth fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Apr 25, 2018

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

corn in the bible posted:

Perhaps they are bitching about other things being hosed up, like if you buy a game and the screen's all hosed you don't think "yeah good quality control here"

I mean that’s almost literally what I said. It has bugs but it’s still a good game and the specific UHD bug is easily dealt with.

Dunno. Smaller studios have trouble dealing with bugs. Doesn’t surprise me, especially in a much more complex games (Battletech) than their previous ones

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Only things that bug me at the moment are the lack of speed controls or clickthroughs for animation, and the non-combat movement is still turn based. Otherwise :swoon:

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
So I've been playing Watch Dogs 2 and seriously, is there anything scissor lifts can't do?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Krazyface posted:

So I've been playing Watch Dogs 2 and seriously, is there anything scissor lifts can't do?

Beat rock lifts? :shrug:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I was interested in the concept of that battletech game but definitely lost interest fast once I saw how painfully and unnecessarily slow it is to do anything

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Krazyface posted:

I was only disappointed that the nitro boost didn't work on them.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

ahahahah the color scheme designer :3:

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
Hahaha, if one of your mech's in Battletech get's a leg blown off just eject the goddamn pilot then and there if you have an objective that needs you to get all your mechs across the map. They can only walk, at 1/3ish speed, and no longer play nice with the non-combat team movement, meaning you have to watch them trundle their limping rear end the whole five hexes before you can issue a move order to any other mechs. I swear this added at least 20 minutes to a mission where it happened. Least felt like it.

The game wants to be good, but as others have said it is slow as all hell. And poorly optimized, least for my specs. I can see it being legitimately good after some patches to fix the technical bullshit and a bit of speeding up to... everything. Because literally every part of the game moves at a glacial pace.

Like, for example, I want to do a mission, so I go to the contracts menu (1-2s load time for the menu to pop up, it's minor, but when it's every menu it adds up), select a contract (1-2s), accept it (1-2s), it plays a cutscene of your ship leaving orbit, your ship is now traveling to the jumpship (20-30s), you reach the jumpship, a docking cutscene plays, you wait for the jumpship to jump (5-10s), a cutscene of it jumping out plays, a cutscene of it jumping in plays, undocking cutscene plays, your ship is now traveling to the planet (20-30s), cutscene of going into orbit, hit deploy, load into deployment menu (~5s), hit launch, load into mission (~2-3m). If your lucky, another mission is available on the same planet, otherwise, do all that again. Hoofah. Did I miss a skip/fast-foward button somewhere, now that I think on it?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Why can nobody make a turn based game these days that doesn't move like loving treacle? Everyone always said turn based was slow but seriously go back to early TB games and they go so quickly compared to now. I mean, except Fallout 1/2 but that's part of why combat in those games sucked.

(I know, the answer is 3D and animations)

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

XCOM managed it.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

XCOM managed it.

After the second game,some mods and a few patches,yeah.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

SirSamVimes posted:

XCOM managed it.

And Battle Bros.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

XCOM managed it.

I mean one of the most popular mods for Xcom 2 is an animation speed-up/skip called Stop Wasting My Time and they had to patch in a menu option to speed up animations, so while you can get there in the end it's still clearly something that they struggled with

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Jawnycat posted:

Hahaha, if one of your mech's in Battletech get's a leg blown off just eject the goddamn pilot then and there if you have an objective that needs you to get all your mechs across the map. They can only walk, at 1/3ish speed, and no longer play nice with the non-combat team movement, meaning you have to watch them trundle their limping rear end the whole five hexes before you can issue a move order to any other mechs. I swear this added at least 20 minutes to a mission where it happened. Least felt like it.

The game wants to be good, but as others have said it is slow as all hell. And poorly optimized, least for my specs. I can see it being legitimately good after some patches to fix the technical bullshit and a bit of speeding up to... everything. Because literally every part of the game moves at a glacial pace.

Like, for example, I want to do a mission, so I go to the contracts menu (1-2s load time for the menu to pop up, it's minor, but when it's every menu it adds up), select a contract (1-2s), accept it (1-2s), it plays a cutscene of your ship leaving orbit, your ship is now traveling to the jumpship (20-30s), you reach the jumpship, a docking cutscene plays, you wait for the jumpship to jump (5-10s), a cutscene of it jumping out plays, a cutscene of it jumping in plays, undocking cutscene plays, your ship is now traveling to the planet (20-30s), cutscene of going into orbit, hit deploy, load into deployment menu (~5s), hit launch, load into mission (~2-3m). If your lucky, another mission is available on the same planet, otherwise, do all that again. Hoofah. Did I miss a skip/fast-foward button somewhere, now that I think on it?

That's pretty disingeniuous, because a bunch of those "pointless wait times" are literally the same thing as advancing time in the Geoscape in XCOM (and you are way overstating the actual durations too). Those things happen at the pace they do because stuff can happen during them and you need time to react to your various task finishing. Or are we now complaining that fast forwarding in the Geoscape is "wasting time"?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Why can nobody make a turn based game these days that doesn't move like loving treacle? Everyone always said turn based was slow but seriously go back to early TB games and they go so quickly compared to now. I mean, except Fallout 1/2 but that's part of why combat in those games sucked.

(I know, the answer is 3D and animations)

Into the Breach and Trails of Cold Steel's combat both felt decently fast

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Isn’t the Trails series one of the most legendarily slow paced games of all time?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

A lot of the non technical pacing issues people are bringing up are inherent to Battletech as a tabletop game. It is a slow paced game where a 5v5 battle with a couple tanks and aerotech can take 2 hours as you move each individual unit, set facing, assign each of your attacks individually because range and heat management are part of the game, and if you lose a leg your mech is basically reduced to a stationary turret. If they did an accurate recreation of the game it would be even slower as it's taken in I-go-you-go phases where everyone takes turns moving, then declare who is firing at whom and with what weapons, then they actually resolve weapon fire so you can do the early Final Fantasy thing where a mech is destroyed but anyone who declared fire must unload on it.

I think strategy games are the hardest genre to actually develop for. You have to make sure the core game is good enough for grognards while also making it appealing to people who need a little more flash than static models teleporting across the screen.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

exquisite tea posted:

Isn’t the Trails series one of the most legendarily slow paced games of all time?

The Sky series tends to be. Cold Steel is much faster in both pacing and combat and had animation skipping from the get go.

'course FC/SC/3rd now have turbo mode so hey.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

DatonKallandor posted:

That's pretty disingeniuous, because a bunch of those "pointless wait times" are literally the same thing as advancing time in the Geoscape in XCOM (and you are way overstating the actual durations too). Those things happen at the pace they do because stuff can happen during them and you need time to react to your various task finishing. Or are we now complaining that fast forwarding in the Geoscape is "wasting time"?

Oh no man, I fully get the time management bit for repairs/modification/healing and how travel time fits into them. But since any of the events that happen just pause it and (important) tasks finishing pause it as well, there's no need to react. Why can't there be a 'skip to arrival and/or next random event' button while traveling somewhere instead of having to watch those jump cutscenes, and sit there staring at ship.gif every time I want to do a contract. I think it's so grating to me because I've hit the 'I want to do this mission' button then have to hurry up and wait for awhile in what 'feels like' a glorified loading screen, only to then have to sit through the actual loading screen.

And it's nowhere near as in depth as the Geoscape, there's not as many plates to spin, you just have two task queues that complete single file and the occasional CYOA random events that resolve instantly with no time loss, so I pretty much always feel like I'm sitting on my hands.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

The stories tend to be slow-paced and low-stakes until you reach the finale, but their combat has never been slower or more repetitious than any other turn-based JRPG.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I'm enjoying Trails but the combat is both slower and more repetitive than, for example, any SMT game, the Bravely Defaults or even most of the later Final Fantasies. There's just not enough strategy involved (so far) to make it interesting.

If you're the kind of person who grinds instead of trying new tactics to beat bosses I guess you might have a different experience though.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

to be fair, unreal is a more powerful of an engine, but 99% games ever made don't need or even want the added complexity that brings. it has its niche, imo.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

DrNutt posted:

Unity Engine seems like one of the great democratizing game development tools of our time but only like 5% of devs are able to make games that don't feel cheap and lovely using it. There are so many survival games on Steam that look neat until you actually play them and realize they're hot garbage at a level barely above stock tools/assets.
I think this complaint is completely unfounded myself. I've played plenty of games that I couldn't even tell what Engine it's on (and I tune out intros instinctively) and was like "oh huh that was using x". Almost every single indie game I've played has at least felt competently put together and all different enough from each other that I've never once noticed stock tools/assets. It's seriously impressive the widely different scale of games people have put out on it and it's great they have this vs RPGMaker, or honestly loving worse, building their own buggy poo poo engine.

Survival voxel emergent crafting zombie games are all hot garbage, even high-profile ones, bar none, regardless of what they will use. I think that may be your problem right there--stop buying them.

If it's not Unity then it'll be RPGMaker or Windows Game Maker and there are absolutely zero good RPGMaker games that at best don't handle and control like garbage, so i'd rather have one that at least produces well optimized-fluidly playable games

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-04-25-now-belgium-declares-loot-boxes-gambling-and-therefore-illegal

quote:

Hot on the heels of the Netherlands declaring loot boxes are gambling and therefore illegal, Belgium has had its say.
[...]
A statement from Minister of Justice Koen Geens said FIFA 18, Overwatch and Counter-Strike: Global Offensive were therefore illegal and demanded their loot boxes removed. If they're not, the publishers "risk a prison sentence of up to five years and a fine of up to 800,000 euros".

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
There are plenty of good rpg maker games

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Xaris posted:

there are absolutely zero good RPGMaker

LISA :colbert:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

corn in the bible posted:

There are plenty of good rpg maker games

True, Laxius Force is a classic.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Good, I hope this keeps spreading.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
What makes loot boxes gambling? The fact that you buy them with real money? How is it different from card packs? Or will Hearthstone etc be included in the ruling soon? What if you can only obtain boxes from playing the game and not cash? Or what if you have some kind of purchasable currency that is usable for a bunch of different stuff (say double xp or to directly buy skins) but you can also use that currency to buy boxes?

Not saying loot boxes are good. Just curious from a legal perspective.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Picked up Battletech as well, and played the first mission last night. Please note that I generally suck at these types of games though.

I have a pretty decent PC (i7700K @4.2 GHz with a 1080ti GPU), and the heat my PC was generating was more than any other gamer I've thrown at it. Definitely some optimization that can be done to this game yet.
I didn't mind the gameplay, but I can fully understand how the non-skippable scenes/no fast forward will be a problem going forward.

I might need to watch a tutorial, as I'm not understanding the combat initiative (who goes when), and also not understanding the cover mechanic. The general battles look to be 1. move 2. attack 3. enemy move 4. I get attacked. I'm struggling to know if I'm moving to a good spot until after I've completed my turn and the enemy has also completed their turn. Yes, I understand this is how tactics games generally play out, but hopefully there's some sort of preview on if my move will provide some success or not. XCOM had a little of that. Maybe it's here as well, but I'm just not seeing it yet.

I do like the heat mechanic - it really adds to the risk/reward element of the game. You can select what weapons to fire for each attack. I guess firing off all 6 lasers, and both sets of LRM's isn't the best option against a lowly tank.
After 1 session, I'm giving it a 6/10.

For anyone on the fence, I can see this game getting a decent discount possibly by the summer sale, but definitely by the winter sale. It feels a bit closer to a budget title than a AAA title. Hopefully they patch in some improvements.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Cover reduces the damage you take by half. The turn order is based on size of your mechs. Light mechs move first, then medium, then heavy, etc. You can click the reserve button to delay the turn for a unit by one. So if you keep delaying a light mech until it's the last to go in a turn then it will immediately get a second action after the turn is over since it will go first next turn.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Kragger99 posted:

I might need to watch a tutorial, as I'm not understanding the combat initiative (who goes when), and also not understanding the cover mechanic. The general battles look to be 1. move 2. attack 3. enemy move 4. I get attacked. I'm struggling to know if I'm moving to a good spot until after I've completed my turn and the enemy has also completed their turn. Yes, I understand this is how tactics games generally play out, but hopefully there's some sort of preview on if my move will provide some success or not. XCOM had a little of that. Maybe it's here as well, but I'm just not seeing it yet.

There's an initiative bar at the top in combat - it shows you who goes when (it goes left to right). You can reserve your action to keep your defenses and move one phase to the right (and you can chain this until you're in phase 1) to let your enemy go first, shoot your (hopefully) well defended mechs, then activate them afterwards to shoot them (and they'll be less well defended generally because they just shot someone). Before you commit to a move you can see exactly what the terrain is (which can give you various buffs, debuffs, and most importantly, 25% cover) and how much evasiveness (the white chevrons) you'll build. You can also check what your chance-to-hit would be from any given point before commiting to it by hovering over enemies during the "choose rotation" part of the move (which you can back out of). There's also LoS indicators, red-lines for could-fire (get dark red after an obstruction to indicate a worse shot), curved lines for could-fire-indirectly, white dotted lines for can-see-but-can't-fire-for-reasons (usually because you sprinted, enemy is out of arc or out of range). Enemy LoS indicators are a pulsing red eye so you know if your opponent could see you. All of these you can check before you commit to a move action.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I'm really enjoying Endless Space 2, is the DLC worth picking up? I enjoyed the Endless Legend DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

DatonKallandor posted:

There's an initiative bar at the top in combat - it shows you who goes when (it goes left to right). You can reserve your action to keep your defenses and move one phase to the right (and you can chain this until you're in phase 1) to let your enemy go first, shoot your (hopefully) well defended mechs, then activate them afterwards to shoot them (and they'll be less well defended generally because they just shot someone). Before you commit to a move you can see exactly what the terrain is (which can give you various buffs, debuffs, and most importantly, 25% cover) and how much evasiveness (the white chevrons) you'll build. You can also check what your chance-to-hit would be from any given point before commiting to it by hovering over enemies during the "choose rotation" part of the move (which you can back out of). There's also LoS indicators, red-lines for could-fire (get dark red after an obstruction to indicate a worse shot), curved lines for could-fire-indirectly, white dotted lines for can-see-but-can't-fire-for-reasons (usually because you sprinted, enemy is out of arc or out of range). Enemy LoS indicators are a pulsing red eye so you know if your opponent could see you. All of these you can check before you commit to a move action.

There it is. My tutorial. :glomp: