Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Multi-channel damage seems like it would be a lot weaker in Planetfall than AoW3. It would be reduced twice as much by any sort of defense, which is generally higher in Planetfall than other games. Most tier 1 units come with at least 2 defense, so they'd be slightly stronger against those, but piddling against anything higher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Multi-channel damage seems like it would be a lot weaker in Planetfall than AoW3. It would be reduced twice as much by any sort of defense, which is generally higher in Planetfall than other games. Most tier 1 units come with at least 2 defense, so they'd be slightly stronger against those, but piddling against anything higher.

It cuts both ways though; +% attack counts for double too.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

other way around, actually. planetfall defenses are percentage based, 50% of 16 is the same as 50% of 8 + 50% of 8. aow3 had additively applied defenses, so 11 defense changed 16 damage into 15, but 8+8 damage into 7+7 (it also had additively applied damage boosts though, most prominently flank attacks, so the value of split channels gets complicated)

the trick with mutliplicatively applied boosts and maluses like planetfall does is you can't have a damage value of 6.3 or whatever, it all gets rounded (always round up, except for the final damage value which is round nearest), so there's probably some weird results with how split channel damage interacts with end damage.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
The description says the damage is reduced by distance from target. So it would depend a whole lot on what that damage fall off is. If you have to be point blank to do full damage then that's pretty limiting.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

bamhand posted:

The description says the damage is reduced by distance from target. So it would depend a whole lot on what that damage fall off is. If you have to be point blank to do full damage then that's pretty limiting.

Wait, really? Where does it say that? Because that makes the 12 damage number make a lot more sense then for a repeating attack.

Also, the unit description for the Raider mentions both Lasers and a new "Sonic" weaponry... I don't suppose this is both dual-channel *and* dual-weapon-type?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Dev diary. Caption under the first photo, the one of the raider.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
VOD of the first Shakarn stream!

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/597410889

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
One of the city names for the Shakarn is a Borderlands 1 location and suddenly I don't want to play them anymore

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Questions from a newbie:

- how long are games?
- if a fight is risky, do I have a chance if I play smart or am I straight screwed
- What kind of zones should I be trying to claim?
- Any DLC I should care about this early on?
- How is the AI?

An hour in I really like it - it's Endless Legend but better, especially when it comes to combat.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Game length depends entirely on the settings chose in the beginning. How many enemies, size of the planet, how aggressive the neutrals are, etc.

Risky fights can be super easy or practically impossible depending on the specifics. All Risky means is your Army Power (an aggregate number that more or less takes into account how high tier and modded up your units are) doesn't outmatch the enemy's army power. Of course your army might be entirely mechanical units (innate +4 psionic resistance) while the enemy is full of psykers and mind controllers, and in that case you can just ignore the Risky warning and fill 'em with lead.

Zone claim priority:
Anything with cosmite
Monuments
Zones with double economic bonuses for things you want. Arcadian mountains for instance are going to give +2 levels to energy sectors built there, so claim those if you're poor. Fungal ruins for research, etc.

So far the only DLC is the one that adds the Heritor secret tech and the associated NPC faction. It's good, but you don't need it to start with. It doesn't add quality of life stuff or anything, it's more content, and good content, but early on when everything is new to you you probably don't need MORE.

The AI is fine. The strategy AI can't compete with a human brain on an even playing field, so the higher difficulties give it cheat bonuses. The tactical AI is surprisingly smart though, especially considering just how complex a tactical fight can get. It's really like XCOM if it didn't have a super on-rails strategic layer.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Stream looked good. One interesting thing is that your two weapons tech paths now link to each other, so say you are Vanguard and research Laser I - that opens up Laser II and Firearms II. Weapon mods have also gotten a bit of love, and the former incinerator module (Laser I) now goes beyond burning and makes ignited targets easier to hit. The Hard Light Module in Laser II still adds stagger, but gives +1 shield instead of just adding damage too, so we should be seeing some more interesting and survivable unit builds out there.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Questions from a newbie:

- how long are games?
- if a fight is risky, do I have a chance if I play smart or am I straight screwed
- What kind of zones should I be trying to claim?
- Any DLC I should care about this early on?
- How is the AI?

An hour in I really like it - it's Endless Legend but better, especially when it comes to combat.

Shorter than you think. Aow is pretty fast paced, don't fall into the trap of playing sim city because either you'll get really bored or you'll get really murdered. Get out there and shank someone

Good play can absolutely beat numerical advantages. Planetfall actually has pretty high lethality per fight (unlike aow3, where the victor of a fight usually would only lose a couple units) so even if you lose a fight there's a good chance that you can at least blow a big enough hole in the enemy army to stop their advance.

What sectors to exploit is a relatively complex question. Generally, energy is king, but it's not always an option or necessarily the best choice. Food gives you nothing short term but the long term benefits are pretty big, and tech is super valuable. Production sectors have return on investment issues but the production specialization building that gives +armor at higher sector levels is a huge huge huuuge benefit.

The DLC is very worth it but there's no harm in waiting on it until you're more familiar with the game. It's not necessary, the base game is great

The ai is serviceable. The tactical ai is both way too stupid and surprisingly good. Never be complacent against the tactical ai it's bad at winning battles but great at making you feel like a loving moron the moment it finds a vulnerability in your formation

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
About the length - note that if you are winning the time compresses. After initial big fights with an opponent, you'll probably have a lot of fights where you have an overwhelming advantage so you just skip those. Playing with just an autocombat is less viable than in AoW3 cause the combat is more involved. In AoW3 I could play hotseat MP 2 humans vs 2 AIs in an hour, but not here.

Reharakhti
Oct 9, 2012

Secretly Sekhmet
Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Dev Diary #58: The Shakarn Faction

Dev diary on the new race, more units in the link!

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
So Lizard Tau. The infiltration stuff seems like it's going to be fun.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Lizards look rad as heck. Glad we're getting more non-human factions besides the Kir-ko

ugusername
Jul 5, 2013
Man Shakarn look positively insane. Sooooo much damage. Just hero weapon with 20 damage from last stream had me salivating.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
It took nearly 18 years, but i'm glad to see Lizardmen make a return.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Loving the undercover names in the blurbs.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Just realized the Syndicate voice is Werner Herzog.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/age-of-wonders-planetfall-dev-diary-59-the-therians.1387224/

So the latest NPC faction has been shown off: furry space pirate cyborgs. Mechanically they have a bit in common with the Kir'Ko, in that if you keep them together then you'll get buffs, and they get some bonuses that kick in with a little bit of damage. Also, there's items for turning your leader into one of their units (I wonder if they'll just treat it like a vehicle or if it'll actually change the base unit), they're about biochemical and kinetic damage channels, and their Peace-level unit mod grants units fast movement and armour.

Also their leader is called Deer. :haw:

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Uhg the first post on there is someone complaining that the explosive acorn throwing squirrel unit is too silly and cutesy.

Why do some gamers hate fun :(

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

I will fight them with my cyborg lich wearing neon shutter shades and a pretty sweet cape billowing majestically behind her.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
I'm more terrified of the healing sniper unit than the acorn grenade thrower.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Just picked up this game after getting disgusted with the endless legend combat system for the last time. Ive completed the tutorial and Im deep in a practice game but is there anywhere that lays out some more advanced strategies?

Im not looking to be an mlg pro at the game but i would like something that lays out stuff like "where to settle", "when to put down a new city vs claim territory for an existing city", "army composition", "what to research and why", "what mods to use on what units and why", "what race+combinations are good/bad and why" and "good builds for heroes".

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

there's definitely no centralized resource for anything like that. also a lot of the people who talk about this game online are real dumb.

basics:

quote:

where to settle
your #1 priority is cosmite. past that you're mostly looking at what resources you can get. if you don't know what you're doing, go after energy, followed by tech. do note that the sector you found your colony in gets no benefits from the sector terrain/clime (though it does from resource nodes), those only affect exploitations (side note: try to only exploit if you can get 2 levels out of the terrain/clime. there's more optimal stuff you can do with getting only 1 level but i wouldn't worry about any of that yet)

quote:

when to put down a new city vs claim territory for an existing city
if your city is large enough to claim a new sector always do that, there is no reason not to. typically what you want to do is build 2-3 colonizers as soon as you unlock colonizers (which you should unlock asap), then never build colonizers again.

quote:

army composition
very difficult question! what race/ST are you playing as? there's a lot of viable combinations, feel free to throw darts and see if you can make it work. while there's certainly "better" options there's very few "bad" options. my only real general advice is "don't spread yourself too thin, figure out 1-3 unit types and base your gameplan on making as many of thsoe as possible/getting a mod loadout that makes those guys as strong as possible"

quote:

what to research and why
economic side: colonizers asap is the really big thing here. different races deviate slightly depending on how good their doctrine tech is, but typically after colonizers you want whatever sector type your HQ's first exploitation will be, followed by cosmite building, followed by the t1 water tech, followed by beelining into a couple techs of operational effectiveness. colonizers asap is what your econ is going to be built off of, and after that you want cosmite asap (unless you have a high value doctrine to slam out. like 70% of the races have a pretty good economic doctrine that's worth taking this detour for). following that OE is the next thing you really want online so you can cast spells use operations. once you have OE2 you should have all your bases covered and can start filling out gaps/go for specific techs you really want at your leisure.

i don't recommend you tech into the covert stuff much unless you're really feeling like messing with those toys. generally they're not great

military: identify a couple key high value mods and beeline for those. if you're basing your gameplan around a unit that needs to be teched into, grab that first. just try to be efficient, don't tech stuff you aren't gonna use unless you need it to get to something else that you are going to use. i also highly recommend making sure you grab a tech that comes with a cheap "hurt this one unit" op, most early weapon techs have something like that

quote:

what mods to use on what units and why
outside of specific examples experience is the best teacher here. defensive stuff is typically better than offensive stuff, if you're not sure what to do a decent rule of thumb is each unit should have 2 defense mods and 1 offense mod.

quote:

what race+combinations are good/bad and why
if you don't wanna go megapro the different combos are basically all good, or at least have one powerful strategy you can go for. i'd recommend steering clear of playing xenoplague until you've got some experience with things though, otherwise follow your heart.

quote:

good builds for heroes
this is mostly just identifying which hero upgrades aren't terribly high value. generally if a hero upgrade passively improves the other units in the army that's the one that you want. otherwise it's generally pretty straightforward if you understand what they all do, so not much i can help you with other than say "this game has a ton of info for new players to absorb, don't get discouraged!" generally heroes fit into some kind of archetype depending on what weapon they're equipped with (the biggest divider is melee vs ranged, though ranged can be split into shotguns - normal guns - snipers) and you just pick whatever skills are obviously meant for your archetype.

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 05:02 on May 3, 2020

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Frost ees OP on youtube not bad. Also just futzing around with trial and error is fun.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

ninjewtsu posted:

also a lot of the people who talk about this game online are real dumb.

My mom said I'm smart and good at Planetfall actually.

ugusername
Jul 5, 2013
Pretty much every race is good with it's own kit and has perfectly viable unit/mod setup out of the box. I like to look at some basic units that don't need research and mapping out my loadout for them. Like Vanguard Troopers for example with Nanite Injectors, Stagger Resist and Bleed rounds will clean out everything around early game and somewhat cheap to produce. After getting a good stack or two I'm thinking what do I want next like continue to Rail Accelerators and Jetpacks for my infantry or investing research in air or tanks and complimenting mods. Secret techs can both be supporting to this basic setup or something to go for from the start. Just check out first couple of mods you can get to and build up from that.

Hero skills are kinda lacking tbh and I can't say that I have particular builds. Stuff that buffs army is good, hp is also good, damage is overrated and until you get a T4 gun that oneshots units is not worth investing in imo . It's nice to time getting piloting skill when you get appropriate vehicle if you went that route.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Campaign heroes should get damage oriented skills and mods over more leadership/support oriented ones. You usually start scenarios with weak armies, and having a monster of a combatant right out of the box is a major boon.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

I normally have one hero as a leader, with army enhancing skills and high defence, then a second hero as a monster of offense. Back when that ap regeneration buff on a unit kill was around, you could absolutely wreck with a sniper hero.

ugusername
Jul 5, 2013
Campaign is funny in a way that there is no reason not to exhaust your research tree and kit out story heroes in top tier mods since they transfer. Spoilers for the last mission I guess: and then you square of against your tinkered up murder machines in the finale. I fought two back to back leaders with old unnerfed Death Gaze which was crazy

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

AnEdgelord posted:

Just picked up this game after getting disgusted with the endless legend combat system for the last time. Ive completed the tutorial and Im deep in a practice game but is there anywhere that lays out some more advanced strategies?

Im not looking to be an mlg pro at the game but i would like something that lays out stuff like "where to settle", "when to put down a new city vs claim territory for an existing city", "army composition", "what to research and why", "what mods to use on what units and why", "what race+combinations are good/bad and why" and "good builds for heroes".

I would advise playing through the campaigns to get a feel for each race+secret tech. The Campaign maps are generally not very hard and the AI is programmed to have "hard" options for diplomacy rather than what you might do in a practice game. Like the AI will tell you to build a certain building and doing so will give you reputation with that faction meaning that you don't need to worry about having to micro the diplomacy aspect as much in campaign.

Since these are good questions I'll try and start up a new game. Do some scouting and then give you a more detailed account of my choices and why. Like a first ten turns kind of thing.

ugusername
Jul 5, 2013
Actually orangelex44 did a couple of pretty comprehensive videos on game mechanics which I really enjoyed. They are mostly focused on multiplayer side I think but would still help me out a ton starting out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_cTC2BwNBc

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

One thing that I only really recently grasped is that you don't need to have overlap between faction and secret tech damage channels! There's some pretty awesome synergy to find with like...Psynumbra Amazons going all-in on poison and morale effects!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Anticheese posted:

One thing that I only really recently grasped is that you don't need to have overlap between faction and secret tech damage channels! There's some pretty awesome synergy to find with like...Psynumbra Amazons going all-in on poison and morale effects!
Is there a trick to xeno plague/assembly to get my assembly stuff to work on my xeno stuff?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
thanks for the help everyone, I did have one question I forgot about before I went to bed and that is how far away should my cities be from each other so they aren't fighting over sectors?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
It's not a matter of distance. A city can have a maximum of 5 sectors - the city center and 4 expansions. Decide which sectors those are going to be, and just place your next city so that it has some other sectors to expand into.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Cities can exploit 4 sectors max, and can incorporate adjacent sectors and anything adjacent to those sectors. You can also swap sectors between cities, though I forget if you have to dismantle the exploitation to do so.

Basically, don’t worry about it. You can probably settle a colony that won’t be able to grow to four sectors, but you’d have to make an active effort to do so. I like to settle my cities as close as possible, so I can get a road network up ASAP, and I’ve never accidentally constrained myself.

Space yourself out if that’s where the best land is, like if you’ve found a cosmite note or a space full of matching exploitation types (you wanna double down when you can, e.g. both fungal and forest give food, but a fungal mountain gives food/research from the fungal bit, and energy/production from the mountain bit).

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 14:32 on May 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
So does pop growth drop massively in value once you get your fourth sector? I know you still need more people to actually work the jobs but is that a good rule of thumb for swapping out stuff/shipping your food elsewhere?