Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

Saul Goode posted:

There seems to be a lack of guys who've been repackaged as different characters in the current WWE roster.

Brodus Clay!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Honestly there's only so many ways that you can repackage a guy without masks or drastic hair style changes, where you don't have to acknowledge it's the same guy but with a completely different characterization.

Zack Ryder is a different character than "Hawkins and Ryder" Zack Ryder, but it's acknowledged to be the same guy.
See also Johnny Nitro vs John Morrison, Festus vs Luke Gallows, Brodus Clay vs Funkasaurus Brodus Clay.

Almost all of the cases where the gimmick is at least kayfabe two different guys involves a stint in another promotion or back in developmental.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Saul Goode posted:

There seems to be a lack of guys who've been repackaged as different characters in the current WWE roster. You've got:

Curt Hawkins & Zack Ryder who used to be the Majors Brothers/Edgeheads; Dolph Ziggler who used to be in the Spirit Squad and was Kerwin White's caddy; Kane who was Isaac Yankem and the Fake Diesel; Ryback who was Skip Sheffield; and Tensai who was Albert (and a Train).

And if you're feeling generous you could count R-Truth who used to be K-Kwik and William Regal who used to be the Real Man's Man, Steven Regal.

Is this part of the reason why WWE feels so stagnant at times? The roster doesn't get refreshed like it used to by guys changing gimmicks. And when they do, like in the case of Tensai and Ryback, they are pretty underwhelming.

Honestly, I kind of think its the current WWE culture.

It used to be "Oh, people think the voodoo dude is played out? You're now the ultimate fighting machine. Welp, people are making GBS threads all over that. Take this neon green fedora, you're a pimp now. Thats dragging a bit too, isnt it? Now you are a REFORMED pimp. Hang on, that sucks. Keep being a pimp, it pops the crowd at house shows and dark matches".

Now its more "The lovely gimmick (or lack thereof) we gave you isnt working. We have nothing for you right now, get the gently caress out". The only chance they have really is to go somewhere else (Japan, mexico, whereever), develop their own character and get over, then MAYBE they might be invited back to do a version of that character.

Job Creator
Apr 3, 2009

On the subject of stupid gimmicks...

I've read that Santino is a pretty decent MMA/Judo fighter? This wouldn't it be a better gimmick than the comedy shtick he has now?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
His gimmick was badass russian shooter in OVW, and he has a legit background in judo.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

El Gallinero Gros posted:

His gimmick was badass russian shooter in OVW, and he has a legit background in judo.

But like Koslov's Sambo background, he doesn't get to use it for some inexplicable reason.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Fair's fair, most of the guys with pro wrestling backgrounds aren't allowed to use those either. :v:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sean Archer posted:

On the subject of stupid gimmicks...

I've read that Santino is a pretty decent MMA/Judo fighter? This wouldn't it be a better gimmick than the comedy shtick he has now?

Worked MMA is really difficult to do, and outside of a cool throw or two Santino is not good at it.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
Worked MMA tends to just look terrible. Incorporating some of the flashier parts of the sport ( throws and good looking submissions) is fine, but a full on character that primarily uses that style would probably be more boring than anything else.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Glamorama26 posted:

Worked MMA tends to just look terrible. Incorporating some of the flashier parts of the sport ( throws and good looking submissions) is fine, but a full on character that primarily uses that style would probably be more boring than anything else.

Worked MMA is how wrestling was born.

Happy Happyist
Jul 23, 2007

I need your assistance to make the world blue and change it into a happy and peaceful society.

Glamorama26 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZMrOV22rRc

Found a promo of Santino in his Russian shoot fighter gimmick, with a few clips thrown in. Some flashy moves there, it would be great if he busted some of those out after a hot tag or something.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The best way to do an MMA gimmick is the Shamrock/Lesnar route: Mostly wrestling with some wrestling submissions and throws thrown in. Stuff like Boris Alexiev and Sylvester Terkay never works

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Gonzo McFee posted:

Worked MMA is how wrestling was born.

I understand that, I just don't see how that would translate today. Even the Angle/Joe Octagon match had a tough time winning over the crowd. For better or worse, crowds are trained to pop for signature spots, not in depth technical work or guys fighting over a mount.

Although, now I do want to see Cena and oh lets say, Lord Tensai in a worked UFC style fight.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
Have any other wrestlers used the GTS? I'd imagine some have used it since Punk started as homage, but did anyone use it as a strong tool in their moveset before Punk did?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Miles O'Brian posted:

Have any other wrestlers used the GTS? I'd imagine some have used it since Punk started as homage, but did anyone use it as a strong tool in their moveset before Punk did?

KENTA.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Miles O'Brian posted:

KENTA was the person that Punk stole it from.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

KENTA is usually credited with creating it and that's where Punk lifted it from. KENTA also has used an inverted version before and it's nasty business. I imagine in a short time, the GTS will be like the Codebreaker and everyone on the Indies will be busting it out ad nauseum (unless this has already happened and I just haven't noticed.)

Edit: Beaten repeatedly and with great anger

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Glamorama26 posted:

KENTA is usually credited with creating it and that's where Punk lifted it from. KENTA also has used an inverted version before and it's nasty business. I imagine in a short time, the GTS will be like the Codebreaker and everyone on the Indies will be busting it out ad nauseum (unless this has already happened and I just haven't noticed.)

Edit: Beaten repeatedly and with great anger

There are a few GTS variants on the indies, from Cheech's "Go 2 Cheech"/"Deluxe" (gutwrench rack into the knee strike to the face), Hallowicked's "Go 2 Sleepy Hollow" (kick to the midsection instead of a knee strike), Daisuke Harada's hiptoss lift into the knee strike variant.

Obariyon, from the Batiri, does the inverted GTS and calls it "Go 2 Hell." (Although they haven't settled on a family friendly name for it in Chikara yet.)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Glamorama26 posted:

I understand that, I just don't see how that would translate today. Even the Angle/Joe Octagon match had a tough time winning over the crowd. For better or worse, crowds are trained to pop for signature spots, not in depth technical work or guys fighting over a mount.

Although, now I do want to see Cena and oh lets say, Lord Tensai in a worked UFC style fight.
All "martial artist" gimmicks, or worse yet an outright "MMA gimmick" are problematic because they hang a lampshade on the fact that pro wrestling isn't real fighting. What makes any other pro wrestler not a martial artist, anyway? The fact that pro wrestling is made up of theatrical versions of all kinds of martial arts techniques ends up making the concept confusing to execute, even for fans who don't know that.

As far as I'm concerned, stuff like Tajiri's matches with Finlay in SMASH are basically worked MMA anyway.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Many videos of Japanese men killing each other

Days late, but thanks for the links!

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Deadpool posted:

KENTA was the person that Punk stole it from.
And he admits it on his dvd.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

SiKboy posted:

Honestly, I kind of think its the current WWE culture.

It used to be "Oh, people think the voodoo dude is played out? You're now the ultimate fighting machine. Welp, people are making GBS threads all over that. Take this neon green fedora, you're a pimp now. Thats dragging a bit too, isnt it? Now you are a REFORMED pimp. Hang on, that sucks. Keep being a pimp, it pops the crowd at house shows and dark matches".

Now its more "The lovely gimmick (or lack thereof) we gave you isnt working. We have nothing for you right now, get the gently caress out". The only chance they have really is to go somewhere else (Japan, mexico, whereever), develop their own character and get over, then MAYBE they might be invited back to do a version of that character.

Yeah they've gone from trying to figure out what a guy's best traits are to just firing them if they don't live up to whatever expectations they have. If another Glen Jacobs came along today I can't imagine him lasting very long at all. Didn't make it as a demented dentist? Sorry bud, creative's got nothing else for ya.

Hammond Egger fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Oct 8, 2012

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Glamorama26 posted:

KENTA is usually credited with creating it and that's where Punk lifted it from. KENTA also has used an inverted version before and it's nasty business.
Let's put it this way -- when he sat Kenta Kobashi (facing outward) on the turnbuckle and started putting him into the Argentine backbreaker position, the crowd "oh poo poo"'d because they thought that KENTA was using the Burning Hammer... then KENTA dropped Kobashi off of his shoulders for a knee to the back of the head :black101:

For context re: the Burning Hammer, here's all seven of them.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Has KENTA pinned Kenta Kobashi ever?

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Chortles posted:

For context re: the Burning Hammer, here's all seven of them.

Honestly don't understand how Misawa never broke his neck with those bumps.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Aubergine Mage posted:

Honestly don't understand how Misawa never broke his neck with those bumps.

Because he has FIGHTING SPIRITUUUUUUUUUUU~

Obviously.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Well, had.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

FishBulb posted:

Well, had.

He's still fighting the Grim Reaper in a so-far-3-year-long mat classic.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Coming upon HiaC, I've always wondered if the top of the cage for Taker/Mankind that Foley fell through was gimmicked or not? I vaguely remember hearing that it wasn't and it was never intended for him to fall through the top.

Sir Jebus
Feb 9, 2010

The only hero left for man is weed.

Orgophlax posted:

Coming upon HiaC, I've always wondered if the top of the cage for Taker/Mankind that Foley fell through was gimmicked or not? I vaguely remember hearing that it wasn't and it was never intended for him to fall through the top.

I think the story is that it was, but not properly. Only half of it was meant to fall, so he'd roll down it into the ring, but the entire thing just went straight through.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

It was supposed to come slack, so it would open a little bit, and Mick would roll off it into the ring, to break the fall a bit.

Instead, he hit it so hard the hinge broke.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Taker legit thought he had just murdered Mick Foley.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

I think Terry Funk thought he was dead too and had decided to die by his side, hands entwined as the darkness crept in.

Seriously, an underrated call of that match is JR saying "Terry Funk just got chokeslammed OUT OF HIS SHOES" He says it with such delight, surprise and horror.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
Haha, I skipped from the beginning of this thread to the end, and we're still talking about Taker/Foley! Wow. Yeah, I watched the Undertaker interview and it's super freaky how that all went down.

edit: oh god this recap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGMxZ861j68

Jefferoo fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Oct 9, 2012

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Glamorama26 posted:

I think Terry Funk thought he was dead too and had decided to die by his side, hands entwined as the darkness crept in.

Seriously, an underrated call of that match is JR saying "Terry Funk just got chokeslammed OUT OF HIS SHOES" He says it with such delight, surprise and horror.

Terry jumping in was some amazing improv to cover. It just goes to prove how professional both Terry and Taker are, that they thought a guy legit died in the ring, then CARRIED ON.

Domalom
Mar 20, 2009

Gadzooks!
I think in Foley's AoW interview he talks about being knocked out by the fall then waking up in the ring next to Funk who was wearing no shoes.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Domalom posted:

I think in Foley's AoW interview he talks about being knocked out by the fall then waking up in the ring next to Funk who was wearing no shoes.
He must've thought he woke up in Spectre.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Domalom posted:

Yeah, in his book he talks to Taker the next day and you realise how much he was out of it after going through the cage. He asks Taker if he had used the thumb tacks, and Taker says, "Uhh, yeah, you used them... do you not remember?". I got the impression Mick was a little embarrassed that he had completed the rest of the match (including a piledriver onto a chair) on autopilot.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

One of the best Terry Funk stories is that when Foley is down on the mat knocked out, Funk runs over to check on him and says something along the lines of "Goddammit Cactus, I'll buy you some more time," gets up and runs over and gets chokeslammed by Taker.

When Foley finally gets round to watching the match with Funk, Funk apparently smiles at him and gives him the thumbs up drawling "Told you I'd buy you more time."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Orgophlax posted:

It was definitely gimmicked, if you watch carefully I believe at one point Undertaker almost puts his foot through the corner of the gimmicked section and you can see the little bits of whatever it is they're using to hold it temporarily in place pop off as the corner folds down.