Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

The car chat made me remember an idiot from this morning.

Was coming up to a red light at a T-intersection & there was a red Buick waiting at the light. While we're waiting he throws his car in park, gets out & starts looking for something in the passenger seat & back of his car. Light goes green, he's still rooting around in his back seat with his rear end hanging out the door. Went around, honked & saw him with his arms up like "WTF bro?" as I drove off. Hope someone ran his dumb rear end over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

:psyduck: Every time I think I've seen just about every flavor of entitlement there is...

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Stop lights and stop signs have just gotten weird as gently caress post-2020. I mentioned before I see people stop at stop signs and just not move for several minutes, I've seen people get out of the car like you describe, and people don't even try to pull over to the side of the road to park anymore. Just bring their cars to a stop and abandon them in the middle of the street and go into a business.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

There's nothing more infuriating than the arm-raise from someone doing something objectively wrong. I've gotten arms thrown up at me for trying to enter a parking lot entrance that someone was exiting from. I've gotten them for turning left on a green left arrow while someone wanted to go straight. I've gotten them for zipper-merging!!!

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I voluntarily stopped driving after getting COVID-19 because it felt like my brain had been microwaved and couldn't do it responsibly but everyone drives like a fuckin' psycho now.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
People in my town stop on the crosswalks. They don't do this other places -- I mean, yeah sometimes, some people might, and some people do because they're trying to get a better look at the traffic, etc., but in this town, it has a culture of: red light means stop on the crosswalk. As a pedestrian I find it extremely frustrating :mad:

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

And it's always super tall trucks with squared off noses so you can't even make eye contact with the drivers when you try to walk around them.

E: I guess less of an issue if you aren't impressively short like I am.

Dip Viscous has a new favorite as of 22:01 on Jun 21, 2024

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

At any traffic crossing as a pedestrian I use the Southeast Asian method of just walking and hoping for the best. If I die I die.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

FreudianSlippers posted:

At any traffic crossing as a pedestrian I use the Southeast Asian method of just walking and hoping for the best. If I die I die.

I found that in Italy too. No-one had respect for pedestrian crossings, so I'd just bank on their scooter skills to dodge me.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Got a 24-hour mute on a Discord server for loudly and angrily complaining that it's hosed up that -- in the nine years since The Dress was a subject and immediately solved by the company that made it -- it's still apparently up for debate

bet the mod involved is a white & gold moron

/e: don't you loving dare make this a debate here

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Maybe you’re right but people super angry on discord are never pleasant lol

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013
Can't put my trash in the dumpster because someone filled it with uncollapsed cardboard boxes. There's a recycling like 20 feet away and a poo poo load of signs saying the overflow fees are getting passed onto our HOA bill.

I would like to put some of my neighbors in the dumpster, so they can live in happiness as the trash monsters they are.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

When you need two of a thing from a container. Reach in once, pull out one of the thing. Reach in a second time, pull out two. Then you gotta put one back!

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Riatsala posted:

Can't put my trash in the dumpster because someone filled it with uncollapsed cardboard boxes. There's a recycling like 20 feet away and a poo poo load of signs saying the overflow fees are getting passed onto our HOA bill.

I would like to put some of my neighbors in the dumpster, so they can live in happiness as the trash monsters they are.

Cardboard in the dumpster is better than the reverse, at least. Somebody at my old place used to put soiled baby diapers in the recycling bin.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Silver Falcon posted:

When you need two of a thing from a container. Reach in once, pull out one of the thing. Reach in a second time, pull out two. Then you gotta put one back!

Nitrile gloves, every single time

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I know it's well understood that the world produced exactly one generation of people who know how to use a computer, but why? Why don't kids learn in school? Who decided that no one needs to understand why tweeting file:///home/tiggum/Downloads/gFMxZwyBidE.html might seem to work on your computer but won't for anyone else? You need to use computers for everything and yet no one seems to think it's important for people to actually have a clue what they're doing.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Nameless Pete posted:

Cardboard in the dumpster is better than the reverse, at least. Somebody at my old place used to put soiled baby diapers in the recycling bin.
related peeve, illustrated

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

credburn posted:

People in my town stop on the crosswalks. They don't do this other places -- I mean, yeah sometimes, some people might, and some people do because they're trying to get a better look at the traffic, etc., but in this town, it has a culture of: red light means stop on the crosswalk. As a pedestrian I find it extremely frustrating :mad:

I had some rear end in a top hat in a big fuckoff truck behind me get super mad because I stopped at a roundabout that had a crosswalk immediately on the turn, and there was someone crossing. I threw my arms up when he honked, to say hey there’s somebody crossing, chill out dude.
He followed me up the street mocking me with my “hey I’m stopped for a reason” gesture, tried to zip up a side street to cut me off, and was extra pissed off when I made it to the junction before he did and took my right of way.

Everyone should chill out more on the roads. My car can go fast too, but there’s absolutely no reason to go fast at 3:05pm when school is letting out and there’s kids everywhere.

I just assume all those angry people driving fast in suburban streets have diarrhoea and are about to poo poo themselves, and I still think making GBS threads yourself in the car is better than hitting a kid or pet.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Tiggum posted:

I know it's well understood that the world produced exactly one generation of people who know how to use a computer, but why? Why don't kids learn in school? Who decided that no one needs to understand why tweeting file:///home/tiggum/Downloads/gFMxZwyBidE.html might seem to work on your computer but won't for anyone else? You need to use computers for everything and yet no one seems to think it's important for people to actually have a clue what they're doing.

Because there was exactly one generation that grew up with a personal computer that they used often. Young people these days grew up using a phone for everything that we used desktop computers for, and phones are greatly simplified.

I'm sure they do learn stuff in school but you're not gonna internalise it if you're not using computers all the time.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Yeah my son has a PC and I find that he's much worse at troubleshooting issues then I was at his age. I always thought that he'd know a lot more with me being more immersed in technology but troubleshooting is also a lot different these days. Things are a lot easier to use and troubleshooting is usually not possible so I guess it's harder to learn those skills.

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007
Kids these days wouldn't understand the sense of satisfaction that came from creating a boot disk that could successfully run TIE Fighter with joystick support!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

When I tell you I don't know the answer to your question, it is not a negotiation. I'm not magically going to conjure up information I didn't previously no if you keep asking me the same things over and over.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
A Facebook group that's called "(local county): UNCENSORED!" where everything is censored and people are posting memes about poo poo going on in Iowa. WHY NAME THE GROUP THAT, THEN???

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Do they also do the thing where they draw a black line over text like it's supposed to be a redaction bar but the text is still clearly visible?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

docbeard posted:

When I tell you I don't know the answer to your question, it is not a negotiation. I'm not magically going to conjure up information I didn't previously no if you keep asking me the same things over and over.

When I say "I don't know" to my daughter, more often than not she asks "why?"

Why don't I know? I feel like ignorance of a fact is its own explanation

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

credburn posted:

A Facebook group that's called "(local county): UNCENSORED!" where everything is censored and people are posting memes about poo poo going on in Iowa. WHY NAME THE GROUP THAT, THEN???

In my experience "uncensored" is just an obvious code for racist and right wing.

The last one I dared to look into wondered why the snow flake liberals call everyone a Nazi when in fact it is the left that is acting like Nazis. Dozens of replies supported this view. 🤦

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

YouTube recommending videos I've already watched. Often as soon as the next day. It's not that I never rewatch any videos, but if I want to rewatch something I'll seek it out. I will never knowingly click a recommended video that I've already seen. Show me new things or gently caress off.

Quadramind
Dec 8, 2011

Door slammers

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Quadramind posted:

Door slammers

Including cabinet doors

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
I'm sorry, I have no-slam hinges at home and you really get used to these things!

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

CordlessPen posted:

I'm sorry, I have no-slam hinges at home and you really get used to these things!

This is my plight after replacing all the toilet seats in my house with slow close ones. I'll occasionally just let go of a seat out in public and scare the hell out of myself with thr slam.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

National Weather Service warnings that break into programming (doesn't matter what it is) for robotic, interminable warnings about incoming bad weather. The older I get the more 'just the facts, ma'am' I get. I don't need to hear about every possible side effect of the storm and every one-horse town that's in its path. I've been warned; shut the gently caress up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I really wish it wasn't legal: Subscriptions to enable/utilize hardware in devices.

My bike got stolen a while ago, insurance covered it, and I got a new one.
The new one can lock down the engine completely unless I have a valid phone connected, otherwise it'll just honk angrily. That's neat.

What's less neat is that the app tries to push a '12 months free, then 5 usd/mo' subscription for 'Flow+' which enables some extra security stuff.
Most of the stuff in it requires an additional piece of hardware to enable gps tracking of the bike, so there's really only 1 feature you get out of it without it: The bike alarm.

A basic alarm where it starts beeping and flashing the lights if someone starts moving it while locked. As you need no additional hardware, everything needed for it is in the bike.
So why the gently caress is that part premium. Why do I need to pay for a subscription to enable something that isn't even online connected. (I assume the bike gets a token occasionally when the phone connects to it to unlock it.)