Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Dammit ubi fix your poo poo! Still can't get uplay working on PS4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
So what do one time hacks do?

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

I learned two things from this picture. First that my plan wasn't as stupid as I thought and two poo poo you have for farting around with a trainer sticks.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Sedisp posted:

I learned two things from this picture. First that my plan wasn't as stupid as I thought and two poo poo you have for farting around with a trainer sticks.

And thus you see 90% of my successful hacks

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

bunnyofdoom posted:

Third hack of the night was the best hack. Lucked into someone trying to get a Ctos tower. I hacked them, then hid behind the tower. Never found me. I figured, as soon as I was done, might as well do the tower. I got hacked. Dumbshit was literally standing in the alley. One grenade took care of it.
I had the same thing happen just a bit ago and also found out something useful: not all cars have the same ground clearance!

I was trying to get a vehicle into the "carrier" loader at Brandon Docks to drive over onto a ctOS tower and got invaded, and then came back and most of the luxury sedans I tried to fit into the same carrier just flat-out blew out all 4 tires when I'd try. Pickups and ricers work, though!

Also, that 1911-SD from pre-orders is mega-helpful for being invaded since it makes the cops not immediately chase you down when you spray 40 rounds at random pedestrians and/or the appropriate target. ;)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Reinstalling finally fixed my game and I'm rather enjoying this so far.

I also can't believe people have been badmouthing the soundtrack when motherfucking Lazerhawk is on it. :cmon:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
The most immersion-breaking thing for me is - do people really regularly store hundreds of dollars in their glove compartments? I can believe drugs and weapons, but come on.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

bunnyofdoom posted:

So what do one time hacks do?

You mean the One-time System Keys?

You use them to make the hacky items like Blackouts.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
Ok. Honestly, despite my issues with campaign, multiplayer has made this GOTY for me.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Top Hats Monthly posted:

This seems sorta gimmicky like it's going for shock value. Is that correct?

I don't know... Maybe? I guess it's supposed to be what people do in their private time when they think no one is looking but out of the 15 or so privacy invasions I've done all but two have been for shock or are straight out depressing. Take for instance the invasion where it shows a guy laying on the floor and you check his voice mail. Guy is obviously dead and it's his son calling to check on him and that he's coming by after work :(.

That said the one where the guy is going 5 out of 10, would not bang just make you cringe it's so cliché. That was one of the invasions that weren't flat out depressing

Reive
May 21, 2009

How do invasion warnings work? I've managed to spot/kill a couple of invaders before anything came up saying I was being invaded.
On the flip side I've tried invading people without starting the hack and they seem to realize I'm there and start searching so presumably they got a notification.
Ex: http://a.pomf.se/gtxkae.webm

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Ok. Honestly, despite my issues with campaign, multiplayer has made this GOTY for me.

Yeah, I just did a bunch of the team multiplayer decryption, and that rules.

Also all the side stuff is pretty fun, infiltrating gangs and beating down the leader, saving people, stealing cars.

There's a ton to do other than the campaign, so this game is gonna be decent value even though the story isn't so perfect.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Reive posted:

How do invasion warnings work? I've managed to spot/kill a couple of invaders before anything came up saying I was being invaded.
On the flip side I've tried invading people without starting the hack and they seem to realize I'm there and start searching so presumably they got a notification.
Ex: http://a.pomf.se/gtxkae.webm
I had the same suspicion however the more I play, the more I suspect some players are either 1: ADHD kids who just happen to be crossing the city on a bike or in a ferrari when I invade, or 2: people who keep checking their minimaps to see when their missions vanish.

Neither way is super helpful though in actual gameplay terms, sorry. The ADHD kids seem to be way tougher to keep a bead on once you target them, though! :unsmith:

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I've mostly stopped doing the campaign and have been doing side missions. Once I get those done, the collections and such, I'll resume the main campaign.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Protip: Crouch behind cover during invasions. It really helps a lot.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
Man, I hate sore losers. Basically, I got an invasion in the worse place, a road through the mountains, no cover. I managed to be like loving sasquatch, and hack through the trees. 84%, dick quits.

Squee
Jun 15, 2003
<3
Yeah my very first invasion I find the guy, hack him and he runs around for a few seconds before jumping in a car and taking off. I guess he thought he could just out range it or something.
Never see him again, get to 98% and he quits out. :argh:

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I love that you can shoot the person calling 911 before they finish talking and get away without triggering an alert.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
^^^ Or run them over if they're upset about you jacking their car. Doesn't even need to be a fatal hit! Any hit stops them from finishing their phone call when 911 asks "could you please repeat that?"

Speedball posted:

Protip: Until they move toward you. Then you're hosed.

It's a good last-resort move to get that final 10-15%, but if you spend the whole time in cover you stick out like a sore thumb once the circle shrinks and the civilians ran off.

BrianPhillips
May 10, 2006

Speedball posted:

Another protip that I haven't seen posted is that focus doesn't slow down time when someone is invading.

So use that and the fact that someone almost always invades after you finish an invade and you'll know the moment someone joins and can start setting traps.

I'm something like 40 in the trailing leaderboards. I mostly do it quick so I can murder some unsuspecting invader.

Psygnosis
Jul 30, 2003

BrianPhillips posted:

Another protip that I haven't seen posted is that focus doesn't slow down time when someone is invading.

So use that and the fact that someone almost always invades after you finish an invade and you'll know the moment someone joins and can start setting traps.

I'm something like 40 in the trailing leaderboards. I mostly do it quick so I can murder some unsuspecting invader.

:v: also the escape menu will no longer pause when someone else joins.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

I've had the most fun so far following a fire truck around the loop, raising every bridge it tried to take out of the area. It kept circling around to find a new route until I overheard them get a call on the radio that the fire was off and they could return.

Also, I found this somehow

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
When you invade someone do you look like aiden or random npc to the other person?

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Jake Blues posted:

I've had the most fun so far following a fire truck around the loop, raising every bridge it tried to take out of the area. It kept circling around to find a new route until I overheard them get a call on the radio that the fire was off and they could return.

Also, I found this somehow

Wait, they didn't have time? Wasn't this in development for like, years?
I just wish the fuckers would do a better job optimizing their code for PC, that would be super.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Don Lapre posted:

When you invade someone do you look like aiden or random npc to the other person?

Random NPC. They're usually ones that fit in with whatever area you're at, I got hacked next to a hobo camp and the person who was hacking me looked homeless.

Course it didn't help that I had a gun out and everybody else ran away so it was easy to shoot them in the face but them's the breaks.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Random, and so do they. I got my head blown off by a fat old soccer mom.

e] they'd just gotten killed by cops so I thought I'd be super crafty and hide in a cop car left crashed just off the road. Turns out I wasn't as crafty as I thought.

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 06:17 on May 30, 2014

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Just playing the game I feel like the graphics are there to distract us from an otherwise average release.

Like the hacking part isn't all that great in practice especially for loving around. loving with stoplights and traffic blockers never gets old, we thought it wouldn't when they showed us those two things in the first gameplay videos. Apparently those two things are really some of the only fun things to gently caress around with. What happened to new gameplay mechanics actually meaning something to gameplay wholly? Hacking is inventory gadgets, just integrated into the game world.... It's a gimmick, not a mechanic.

This isn't a cry for a game to end all games. Give us an actual mechanic that means something that in itself adds actual replay value.

Assassins Creed or Just Cause were far from being a game to end all games. But they had a mechanic or many small yet awesome mechanics (respectively) that made for some dynamic poo poo to be able to go down any time any where.

Maybe I just need to make really complex schemes to enact and squeeze what little there is from this hacking... "thing".

And I could totally see how the little mission generator thing could get old.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

NeoSeeker posted:

Maybe I just need to make really complex schemes to enact and squeeze what little there is from this hacking... "thing".

I thought it was really cool that I set off a guard's grenade while he was still wearing it. :shobon:

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Out of curiosity, has there been another console game that's shown bare titties, nipples and all?

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Exploding sewer grates and wifi enabled grenades

welcome to the retarded future kids.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Okay, FINALLY for the first time in well over 30 invasions/invadeds, I got someone who was tailing me. I know this because I got outside of range and it gave me a totally new counter! So I guess people just mostly do Hacks, instead of Tails?

BrianPhillips posted:

In my experience, hitting the "search for game" stuff will give you a pretty high chance of immediately getting invaded.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Tide posted:

Out of curiosity, has there been another console game that's shown bare titties, nipples and all?

Wait there's boobs in this game?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

NeoSeeker posted:

Exploding sewer grates and wifi enabled grenades

welcome to the retarded future kids.

Well one of these things already happens anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SImhkapRuIs

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!
Wow. My playstyle just got 100% more paranoid after I randomly spotted somebody tailing me.

Now that I've taken to occasionally coming to a complete dead halt and turning around and profiling everybody behind me, I've managed to catch two more. In the course of 30 minutes. :tinfoil:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Tide posted:

It's a newer trend but yeah, GTA has done it, Heavy Rain did it, Metro Last Light did it and (outside the US) the Saboteur did it. After Hot Coffee died down it no longer became a huge deal so long as it was on the rating label.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Party Plane Jones posted:

It's a newer trend but yeah, GTA has done it, Heavy Rain did it, Metro Last Light did it and (outside the US) the Saboteur did it. After Hot Coffee died down it no longer became a huge deal so long as it was on the rating label.

God of War, too.

Shonuff
Sep 26, 2007
White like Frank Black is
I love hacking the NPCs who call in bounties. Most of the invaders I've had aren't very subtle and it's easy to just blast them with an assault rifle.

I got into a chase with one guy and actually wrecked his car by deploying the barricades, pinned him in with my vehicle, then jumped out and shot him through the windshield. Game fuckin owns.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

leidend posted:

Well one of these things already happens anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SImhkapRuIs

This happened because a terrorist hacked into the sewer system's mainframe.

This game doesn't know what it wants. It's supped up with sexy graphics and yet it asks for suspension of belief like a motherfucker. There's a reason why many things will most likely stay off the grid in real life, this game is full of them.

I still like to play it. It's fun, until like next week. Totally worth years of waiting. I'm just pissed that when I started it up, waited through that god drat like ten minute intro then put it down after like 15 minutes of gameplay on my first play. I thought I was going to lose a night, It's getting harder and harder to go back.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 06:40 on May 30, 2014

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Tide posted:

The Saboteur had it as a new purchase incentive or 10 dollar DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

NeoSeeker posted:

This happened because a terrorist hacked into the sewer system's mainframe.

Official cause was never determined :tinfoil:

• Locked thread