Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will the Nightly Show be like?
This poll is closed.
A news parody, like the Daily Show 15 13.27%
A pundit satire, like the Colbert Report 7 6.19%
Something else entirely 91 80.53%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Man, so the last TDS show is the night of the republican debate? Goddamn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
After having tried watching a few episodes, wow, Larry Wilmore is terrible. He's all awkward and almost a little cringe-inducing in his delivery that it makes him feel like "that one sort of annoying guy at work who feels like he has to bring up social justice issues every single day and makes unfunny jokes constantly", and I say that as an unabashed bleeding-heart cryptomuslimliberoanarchocommunist type.

I suspect similar sentiments have been shared in this thread a few times already, though.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Krinkle posted:

Have you ever seen him defend the concept of rape games and call amazon out for taking them off their store front?

I must have missed that episode of The Daily Show :stare:.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I kinda chuckled at Stewart suggesting Cruise should have himself dropped into a volcano for kicks.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
Is the Daily Show going to go on a break before Trevor starts?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I kinda chuckled at Stewart suggesting Cruise should have himself dropped into a volcano for kicks.
Haha wow, I didn't catch that. Subtle.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Last night's episode of Daily Show had a hilarious opening! Best in a while. I noticed something during the interview, though: Jon says "maybe they should drop you in a volcano" to Tom Cruise (talking about future Mission movies). I wondered if that was a dig at Scientology.

edit:

Duzzy Funlop posted:

ah, beaten

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

jerichojx posted:

Is the Daily Show going to go on a break before Trevor starts?

I'd like to know that too, but it sounds like he's been in the writer's room and such so hopefully he's been getting some on the job training the last few months.

I can't decide whether I think they'll change the sets or not. Both would make sense.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

They already announced that Trevor will be starting on September 28. Since the last Daily Show with Jon Stewart is on Aug 6th, there will be an almost 2 month break.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

swickles posted:

I must have missed that episode of The Daily Show :stare:.

Oh I forgot about that I assumed he was talking about Penn Jillette and my brain broke because his politics is the worst part about him - why would anyone be glad they get to hear his politics?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I liked how the third guy just stayed the hell out of that whole awful discussion until he realized that if he didn't interject a joke at least once he wasn't going to get paid or something.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Yeah for sure I was talking about Jon. I turned my TV off when Penn started talking.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Zero One posted:

Yeah for sure I was talking about Jon. I turned my TV off when Penn started talking.

He told Larry Wilmore it's because people like him that there are so many shootings in America. Classy.

Collin Quinn actually made more sense than Penn, that's a feat.

e; I also wish Rick Perry would just get put into solitary already, the last thing I need at the theater in this stupid state is to be worried about some idiot negligent discharging and killing me or someone I care about.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 29, 2015

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

MariusLecter posted:

He told Larry Wilmore it's because people like him that there are so many shootings in America. Classy.

Wait, what? :psyduck:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

MariusLecter posted:

Wait, was he saying people like himself, or people like Wilmore? Either way, :wtf: but I'm curious.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I wonder if Jon's appearance on Larry and being made to feel how it feels to "be on someone else's show and have a whole race on your shoulders" might be his way of responding or showing contrition over the Cenac thing...

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

thrawn527 posted:

Wait, was he saying people like himself, or people like Wilmore? Either way, :wtf: but I'm curious.

People like Wilmore in the media that give attention to mass shooters.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

MariusLecter posted:

People like Wilmore in the media that give attention to mass shooters.

Its a bit misguided, but its not far off the mark. The two cops in New York got shot because the media created and fostered a 'war on blacks' narrative after Ferguson. Young people are easily persuaded into doing stupid things for dumb causes. Look at ISIS. Young people with bright futures are getting suckered into leaving civilized countries to join those loving barbarians in the desert because [something something] holy war. People are dumb, and young people moreso, so when you have supposedly 'legitimate' news anchors telling them the world's out to get them, enough of them are going to be stupid enough to believe them and take it to the next level.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

MariusLecter posted:

Penn was talking about this. This video makes the rounds online after every mass shooting.

It's a very loving valid criticism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PezlFNTGWv4

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I know this thread jumped on the full Larry Wilmore sucks bandwagon, but Nightly is still a "watchable enough" second half hour of TDS that still feeds me when I want "a little more" after Stewart.

It's not a good show and doubt it'll substantially improve. And I might just start watching The Late Show instead, but there's still a niche of people who like it. I have a Facebook friend who posts more Nightly clips than TDS or LWT.

Roadie posted:

After having tried watching a few episodes, wow, Larry Wilmore is terrible. He's all awkward and almost a little cringe-inducing in his delivery that it makes him feel like "that one sort of annoying guy at work who feels like he has to bring up social justice issues every single day and makes unfunny jokes constantly", and I say that as an unabashed bleeding-heart cryptomuslimliberoanarchocommunist type.

I suspect similar sentiments have been shared in this thread a few times already, though.
I get the impression Nightly is trying to carve out a niche between the so-called "call-out culture" of Twitter and aging comedians who are batshit afraid of it.

And then instead we get a program that's usually not cathartic enough for the former and a lot of "comedians having fun circlejerking but we're not".

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I like Wilmore because it fills in the gap nicely between TDS and @midnight (which has been kind of down lately, but thats mostly due to the guests they have and not any writing/hosting abilities). Its going to be interesting to see the numbers once we get a Stewart-less TDS and Wilmore back to back.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
I think the Nightly Show has gotten a lot better. I wish it wasn't because he's passionate and good at talking about the blatant racism in America, though.

Mike Yard is great and they regularly bring on Felonious Munk. It's starting to figure itself out.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I like the Nightly Show. Larry isn't as funny as Stewart but he's got a good take on the issues, and his panel guests are sometimes good.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Android Blues posted:

I like the Nightly Show. Larry isn't as funny as Stewart but he's got a good take on the issues

Unless he's talking about the death penalty.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

kittenmittons posted:

Unless he's talking about the death penalty.

Yeah, Larry gets loving :stare: when talking about the death penalty.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Or prison, LOL PRISON RAPE SURE IS COOL *2 beats later* A Cosby Tirade.

TNS is unmitigated garbage.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm loving 'I got like a bit over a week left gently caress it' Stewart so much.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

This old lady is adorable and awesome.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Finally got to watch the grunting segment from Monday. Excellent!

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Holy loving poo poo. Is that Jon Stewart's wife in the Wednesday section as the VO says "on his very next show"? drat Jon. You did... you did pretty well for yourself man.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Chromatic posted:

Penn was talking about this. This video makes the rounds online after every mass shooting.

It's a very loving valid criticism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PezlFNTGWv4

To suggest that talking about mass shootings is the cause of mass shootings is absolutely goddamned retarded.
I don't know how you even got that from that video, which is focused more on the sensationalization of the shooter, and while that's a sign of how poo poo journalism has become suggesting even that causes more mass shootings is pretty loving daft IMO. Nobody's going to look at that poo poo and say "Well I wasn't thinking of shooting up a kindergarten before, but NOW I've got murder on the mind!"

It's almost as loving dumb as the other sentiment going around recently that the news shouldn't report on cops beating the poo poo out of and/or murdering black people every other day, because all it does is "create racial tension." Because THAT's the part causing the tension and not, y'know, all the cop murder.

raditts fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 30, 2015

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Well if you can't blame video games, movies, D&D, music, drugs, tv shows, or call things "isolated incidents" then you have to blame the media itself, right? *Studiously avoids mentioning that mass shootings wouldn't happen without laughably easy access guns*

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

raditts posted:

I don't know how you even got that from that video, which is focused more on the sensationalization of the shooter, and while that's a sign of how poo poo journalism has become suggesting even that causes more mass shootings is pretty loving daft IMO. Nobody's going to look at that poo poo and say "Well I wasn't thinking of shooting up a kindergarten before, but NOW I've got murder on the mind!"

It's very sensible and if media followed those directions it would save lives.

Most rampage killers state that their primary motivation is the publicity it creates. They feel that killings will be some kind of turning point that will cause a revolution, literal or figurative, and that they will be viewed as heroes by some. It's very rare for massacres to be committed because a person simply wants to inflict pain on others, it's almost always part of a greater social statement.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702303309504579181702252120052

quote:

Whereas serial killers are driven by long-standing sadistic and sexual pleasure in inflicting pain, massacre killers usually have no prior history of violence. Instead, writes Eric W. Hickey, dean of the California School of Forensic Studies, in his 2009 book "Serial Murderers and Their Victims," massacre killers commit a single and final act in which violence becomes a "medium" to make a " 'final statement' in or about life." Fantasy, public expression and messaging are central to what motivates and defines massacre killings.

What these findings suggest is that mass shootings are a kind of theater. Their purpose is essentially terrorism—minus, in most cases, a political agenda. The public spectacle, the mass slaughter of mostly random victims, is meant to be seen as an attack against society itself. The typical consummation of the act in suicide denies the course of justice, giving the shooter ultimate and final control.

Aside from the wealth of qualitative evidence for imitation in massacre killings, there are also some hard numbers. A 1999 study by Dr. Mullen and others in the Archives of Suicide Research suggested that a 10-year outbreak of mass homicides had occurred in clusters rather than randomly. This effect was also found in a 2002 study by a group of German psychiatrists who examined 132 attempted rampage killings world-wide. There is a growing consensus among researchers that, whether or not the perpetrators are fully aware of it, they are following what has become a ready-made, free-floating template for young men to resolve their rage and express their sense of personal grandiosity.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

raditts posted:

It's almost as loving dumb as the other sentiment going around recently that the news shouldn't report on cops beating the poo poo out of and/or murdering black people every other day, because all it does is "create racial tension." Because THAT's the part causing the tension and not, y'know, all the cop murder.
What? No, that's silly.

Reporting on an abuse of power is not going to perpetuate that abuse of power. That makes no sense. And it obviously doesn't cause racial tensions, it just exposes them.

Sensationalizing spree killings can (in theory) romanticize and encourage them.

I don't know enough about spree killing specifically (the post above makes a fairly good case), but I know it can make a huge difference how the media reports on suicides and self harm. If the media sensationalizes it, then in effect they're romanticizing it, and that does measurably increase the rate of these things. Mental illness is out there, and its expression is hugely affected by culture. The idea that you should be conscious of the implications of your words on vulnerable people should be a no brainer for the media.

The idea here is not to censor the facts at all- you should still report on it, and analyze it... people should know about it if it happens, especially if there's public policy decisions that need to be made that would affect it (gun control, mental health services), the point is it's not just crass but actively harmful to go all "Shocking news! Misanthropic badass kills dozens! One lone misunderstood youth shakes whole community! Wow!" for a whole news cycle and then some.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Calling out WIlmore on that is still stupid.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Oh. Yeah. I forgot what we're talking about. WIlmore's totally on the analysis side of things rather than the sensationalism side of things. Calling out Wilmore is totally missing the point.

I presume. I, uh, stopped watching the Nightly Show a while back...

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I've had satellite hooked up for all of a week now and the Nightly show seems pretty decent. Why the hate?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Deki posted:

I've had satellite hooked up for all of a week now and the Nightly show seems pretty decent. Why the hate?

It took him some time to find his voice, as all new hosts do. Also, apparently if you don't agree 100% with every opinion a guy has, then he is terrible.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Letting an anti-vaxxer pretty much run wild without challenge early on had a lasting effect in terms of perception, I think.

Larry's boner for using the death penalty for revenge killings also gets uncomfortable when it pops up. Dude goes all-in on that whenever it comes up on a topic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Early on, there were quite a few shows in rapid succession that just knocked the wind out of a some people beyond just letting the show find a voice. At least, that's what happened to me personally; it seemed like there would be a brief string of mediocre/passable shows with a sparse handful of promising ones, and then it would promptly hit the reset button by doing something abhorrent or just irritating enough to piss away the good will that it was slowly earning in small increments.

Still, even I have to admit that Larry has a hit a stride in the past couple of weeks. Or at least, he's found his niche by covering more... fluffy topics in general to fill the gaps, and only touching on heavier stuff when he personally knows about it instead of trying to fake it or relying too heavily on his guests that might be horrible people with horrible positions. I tuned back into the show around when Officer Barrelrolls abused a teenage girl in Texas out of curiosity to see how Larry would handle it, and I've been pretty content with it since.

• Locked thread