Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Anyone been having issues with the game running like poo poo all the sudden? All day it's been fine for a while and then it'll go full on slideshow for no apparent reason. Restarted my computer and everything but no dice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

The Locator posted:

Man, I have no idea how you get your damage numbers that high. I barely crack 50k on a headshot crit with the same SMG. Would be interesting to see your stats and gun mods (or character numbers I guess?).

Sure, here you go:

Don't forget to stack crit dmg where possible - you can use a loud vent brake and small grip on the weapon which gives mainstat crit dmg, as well as getting random 4% rolls on other weapon mods. I use assault shield and pop booster shot at the start of the fight, so I get a damage boost from that and also an extra 5% from Barret's chest. Finally, the pulse on headshot talent also adds some extra damage. With all that rolling I land 117k+ headshot crits on elites.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Does your shield last long enough with "only" 90k electronics?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Man I'm glad that MP5 showed up, cause I have poo poo luck finding SMGs and Marksman rifles it seems.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

poptart_fairy posted:

Does your shield last long enough with "only" 90k electronics?

Yeah, especially since things die so fast. This is my pure damage set up, I also have a tank set up where my shield can last basically forever. My earlier post about it:

Hakarne posted:

Also I tried out a tankier shield build and just...lol. Backpack that heals your skill objects + chest that gives overheal + shield that heals you when you take damage + predatory=functional invincibility. I could literally stand in the open with 3+ horsemen (Dragon's Nest) and random elites shooting at me and come nowhere near dying as long as I didn't get flanked by like 5+ enemies. It made the whole run trivial for my team up until the last room. The damage is mediocre, but who gives a gently caress if you can just casually walk up to dudes and kill them at your leisure.

If I really start getting overwhelmed with my damage gear I just duck around the corner and let the shield regen a bit. Also, I use the combat medic talent which heals your shield for 40% when you use a medkit.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Okay the fact that gun talents that trigger off kills or damage trigger off any kill or damage (by you) while you hold the gun makes a huge difference. Suddenly determined and bleeding looks kind of good.

Shield damage mods not doing anything is good info to have - I had a ton of those. And what's up with some weapon mods having so many bonuses they don't show up on the modding screen? That'S borderlands 1 level bad UI.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 24, 2016

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
So not sure where people are meeting up for HVTs now.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

negromancer posted:

I don't really meet up. I just match-make under the free-roaming category. Once I get a mission, I'll buy an HVT and they get the hint.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

negromancer posted:

I tend to use the Discord server, weekly HVT groups are advertised every so often

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
AAAAAGH, gently caress YOU GAME. I extracted! I extracted! But was 500 points short of Master rank. gently caress. Guess you need to kill a boss huh, rather than multiple Hunters. :v:

OTOH, it was a huge rush. I was the only survivor out of the group and watched some rear end in a top hat bleed out in front of me when his hunter downed him - teach the smarmy little bastard to run in and loot poo poo I cleared the way earlier. No hate mail unfortunately.

Hakarne posted:

Yeah, especially since things die so fast. This is my pure damage set up, I also have a tank set up where my shield can last basically forever. My earlier post about it:

If I really start getting overwhelmed with my damage gear I just duck around the corner and let the shield regen a bit. Also, I use the combat medic talent which heals your shield for 40% when you use a medkit.

Cheers, it's given me stuff to think about. Always looking for ways to improve the shield build. :)

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Hakarne posted:

Sure, here you go:

Don't forget to stack crit dmg where possible - you can use a loud vent brake and small grip on the weapon which gives mainstat crit dmg, as well as getting random 4% rolls on other weapon mods. I use assault shield and pop booster shot at the start of the fight, so I get a damage boost from that and also an extra 5% from Barret's chest. Finally, the pulse on headshot talent also adds some extra damage. With all that rolling I land 117k+ headshot crits on elites.

Thanks. Our main stats and weapon damage are drat near identical, but you have much better headshot and crit damage than I do. Never even though of popping booster shot at the beginning, and I have yet to get a Barret's, but I do use precision (headshot pulse) with assault shield and I know I'm using a loud vent brake. For the grip I'm using one that gives almost 50% optimal range which pushes the SMG optimal out to about 25 meters, which is nice when the bad guys are trying hard to maintain distance and for knocking off snipers.

I'll keep watching for incremental improvements on my weapon mods and running the mission for Barret's, although I'll have to rework my setup when I get that since I'm currently running HE backpack (either the heal one or 200% of firearms/stamina added to skill) and gloves.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

The Locator posted:

Thanks. Our main stats and weapon damage are drat near identical, but you have much better headshot and crit damage than I do. Never even though of popping booster shot at the beginning, and I have yet to get a Barret's, but I do use precision (headshot pulse) with assault shield and I know I'm using a loud vent brake. For the grip I'm using one that gives almost 50% optimal range which pushes the SMG optimal out to about 25 meters, which is nice when the bad guys are trying hard to maintain distance and for knocking off snipers.

I'll keep watching for incremental improvements on my weapon mods and running the mission for Barret's, although I'll have to rework my setup when I get that since I'm currently running HE backpack (either the heal one or 200% of firearms/stamina added to skill) and gloves.

Opening with Booster shot is great. Yeah you waste the heal but the extra dmg and dmg resistance helps with both your incoming and outgoing alpha damage. Between the shield and First Aid kits it's back up again if you get to a point where you really need it for the heal, which is almost never.

And I was tempted by the optimal range grip but decided on more damage. My playstyle is to open with and use my marksman rifle (I have a god roll custom M44 with brutal/destructive/deadly and 171% HS dmg that can crit for 800-900k) until I either start getting swarmed or come under heavily concentrated fire. Then I pop out with the shield and clean house. That also helps mitigate damage, as I can drop 2-3 enemies before even taking fire if I get some good shots in. By the time I switch to my shield they're usually pretty close so I don't need to worry about the range that much.

I love the shield build because it's so versatile and you can run it a lot of different ways depending on how you want to play. Happy hunting!

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
I see this game is on sale on Steam, could I get away with just getting the regular version without DLC or should I make the jump for the special edition?

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

Slackerish posted:

I see this game is on sale on Steam, could I get away with just getting the regular version without DLC or should I make the jump for the special edition?

The base game is good, but I would definitely consider getting the season pass (or deluxe) because the add-on content is pretty good.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Anyone know what qualifies as a healing skill, for the purposes of the Rapid talent (Decrease cooldown of healing skills by 15%) on a chest pc. ?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Slackerish posted:

The DLC is all endgame stuff, so it'd be worth at least trying it out with just the base game and grabbing the DLC at the end of the sale if it clicks for you.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Lexington Solo Clear 10 Minutes - D3-FNC Assault Shield Build (122k crits!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F9Reog9T-U

Since there were a few people interested in how my D3-FNC assault shield build performs I made a video of one of my 10 minute solo clears of Lexington on Challenging. I actually hit 122k crits at a few points - jump to 5:34 or 9:59 seconds for the 122k crits. Also, jump to 8:50 if you just want to watch me clear the entire end room with Barret in about 1min 10 seconds. If you don't count the two heavies at the beginning, I killed Barret and both waves in about 40 seconds. That was probably my most gangster clear of that room so I'm glad I caught it on video! :getin:

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Dec 25, 2016

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Hakarne posted:

Since there were a few people interested in how my D3-FNC assault shield build performs I made a video of one of my 10 minute solo clears of Lexington on Challenging. I actually hit 122k crits at a few points - jump to 5:34 or 9:59 seconds for the 122k crits. Also, jump to 8:50 if you just want to watch me clear the entire end room with Barret in about 1min 10 seconds. If you don't count the two heavies at the beginning, I killed Barret and both waves in about 40 seconds. That was probably my most gangster clear of that room so I'm glad I caught it on video! :getin:

Hahaha... my solo Lexington runs are so bad compared to this. I am very slow and methodical, and I take lots of damage anyway because I'm terrible. Thanks for posting though, good to see how it should be done.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, that got me to try soloing lexington as well. I definitely didn't do as great as that (I lack a good sniper) but I was able to push through with ease until the Barret fight, where things would get hectic.

Still, it was surprisingly doable.D3-FNC Shield build is drat fun. Now if only I could get a decent sniper to supplement it.

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it
Yeah, my fauxhawk alt (Codename: Haircut) has sort of become my main because I enjoy the shield so much. I shift between Frontline SMG and subbing in some headshot gloves when I want a 93R Coolheaded skill spam built, but either way, everything is just so different when you can stand right out in the open and pick your targets with total discretion. When I go back to my original Firecrest character it just feels so boring to hide behind cover the whole time now.

Counterpoint: earlier tonight with my shield/pistol built I ended up in a solo challenging underground where every single room was some variation on (LMB) Medic, Heavy Gunner, Sniper, Shotgunner, and even the first rooms that were just like two medics and one gunner took me forever to clear. The final room had 3 waves totaling 7 gunners and 6 medics (and a named sniper, with all the other assorted guys in there too) and usually I was stuck unable to destroy either support station because I couldn't poke out and burst it down well enough, so clearing the final room took probably an hour of me just bothering people with my pistol until they'd move out of the range of the support stations long enough for me to kill them. I got it done eventually but man I missed the DPS of my Firecrest gal.

I still think this build is fun as h*ck but there are lots of situations where it does not exactly shine.

e: also I want Bliss's Holster more than anything in the game. Do we have some way of seeing drop rates like this is old-school WoW, or should I just assume that the helicopter has a couple percent chance to drop it and then there's a miniscule chance from various caches?

anime tupac fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Dec 25, 2016

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

anime tupac posted:

Yeah, my fauxhawk alt (Codename: Haircut) has sort of become my main because I enjoy the shield so much. I shift between Frontline SMG and subbing in some headshot gloves when I want a 93R Coolheaded skill spam built, but either way, everything is just so different when you can stand right out in the open and pick your targets with total discretion. When I go back to my original Firecrest character it just feels so boring to hide behind cover the whole time now.

Counterpoint: earlier tonight with my shield/pistol built I ended up in a solo challenging underground where every single room was some variation on (LMB) Medic, Heavy Gunner, Sniper, Shotgunner, and even the first rooms that were just like two medics and one gunner took me forever to clear. The final room had 3 waves totaling 7 gunners and 6 medics (and a named sniper, with all the other assorted guys in there too) and usually I was stuck unable to destroy either support station because I couldn't poke out and burst it down well enough, so clearing the final room took probably an hour of me just bothering people with my pistol until they'd move out of the range of the support stations long enough for me to kill them. I got it done eventually but man I missed the DPS of my Firecrest gal.

I still think this build is fun as h*ck but there are lots of situations where it does not exactly shine.

e: also I want Bliss's Holster more than anything in the game. Do we have some way of seeing drop rates like this is old-school WoW, or should I just assume that the helicopter has a couple percent chance to drop it and then there's a miniscule chance from various caches?

I think it was determined through data mining that named gear has a 1% drop rate from their namesake.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I got mine from a cache. So keep grinding and buying caches.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Merry Xmas from the 1-14 DZ!

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
I can't even play because the servers seem to be poo poo today.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, that got me to try soloing lexington as well. I definitely didn't do as great as that (I lack a good sniper) but I was able to push through with ease until the Barret fight, where things would get hectic.

Still, it was surprisingly doable.D3-FNC Shield build is drat fun. Now if only I could get a decent sniper to supplement it.

I use a M700 Carbon sniper rifle, but it only hits for around half what Hakarne was showing, and I'm not great at using a sniper rifle when it gets fast and furious. I usually get a couple headshots in and then switch to shield/SMG. Was quite eye opening to see how much sniper action he got in though.

I also play a bit more conservatively and still run an MP5-ST with predatory. I have one without also for slightly more DPS (slightly higher base damage over the currently for sale MP5-ST is why), but honestly the slight DPS bump from running headshot damage instead of Predatory doesn't seem to make a huge difference to me, and I'm more comfortable running the continuous healing.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 25, 2016

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

If any PS4 players are on the fence about this game, it's 12 bucks on Amazon right now.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

The Locator posted:

I use a M700 Carbon sniper rifle, but it only hits for around half what Hakarne was showing, and I'm not great at using a sniper rifle when it gets fast and furious. I usually get a couple headshots in and then switch to shield/SMG. Was quite eye opening to see how much sniper action he got in though.

I also play a bit more conservatively and still run an MP5-ST with predatory. I have one without also for slightly more DPS (slightly higher base damage over the currently for sale MP5-ST is why), but honestly the slight DPS bump from running headshot damage instead of Predatory doesn't seem to make a huge difference to me, and I'm more comfortable running the continuous healing.

The sniper rifle is great for taking out weaker/high priority targets. As you saw it can 1-shot weaker elites (shotgunner and snipers) so it's pretty handy to open with. I always like rolling with a high-damage marksman rifle and it's one of the reasons I don't like using alphabridge. I feel like I lose a lot of options for manipulating a fight without one.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Is there an efficient way to grind through the world tiers? I thought I'd just switch to survival when I hit 30 but it turns out I really hate that format so I'm back to gearing up the old fashioned way.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

nessin posted:

Is there an efficient way to grind through the world tiers? I thought I'd just switch to survival when I hit 30 but it turns out I really hate that format so I'm back to gearing up the old fashioned way.

Queue for missions equip every thing that's an Ilevel upgrade even if it's a downgrade damage wise. When you can go up a world level go up and keep going to missions. Maybe like 6 missions to get to max world tier then you can worry bout getting gear you need

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Roman posted:

Merry Xmas from the 1-14 DZ!

I don't know what the gently caress was up with the DZ this morning, but playing before work and a poo poo load of rogues and Manhunts were going on in the PS4 Darkzone. Christmas makes a lot of Agents really bloodthirsty apparently.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Hakarne posted:

I saw some crits in there, so what do they mean by setting crits to 0 with the defense set?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

DatonKallandor posted:

I saw some crits in there, so what do they mean by setting crits to 0 with the defense set?

It sets your crit chance to 0 from everything that applies to you (SMG bonus, Stat value on gear or mods),

Pulse (from any source) and the Savage gloves apply crit % to the enemy and thus are unnafected.

Even if you don't run pulse you run pulse on head shot to get those sweet crits

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
2nd Survival game, 1st full clear! I was slow as butt, but managed to loot some of the downed and became strong enough to take out the antiviral along with the hunter.

Whoop!!!

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
Anyone have a recommendation on the MG5 blueprint? Y/N?

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Rick_Hunter posted:

Anyone have a recommendation on the MG5 blueprint? Y/N?

I picked it up because it's the best LMG this patch (due to the high rate of fire) so I think it's worth having. I like messing around with LMG builds occasionally even if they're not as strong as ARs or shield because bullet hoses are fun. If you have no plans of using an LMG it may not be worth it but who knows how they'll rebalance things during this world tier, if they do at all.

Edit:

1v1 PvP - Assault Shield Build

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3Ug29FwbLg

I just dueled a rogue running a typical AB build vs my assault shield build if anyone wants to see it in action in PvP. I had been chasing a group of 4-6 rogues when one of them broke off and started chasing me after their manhunt ended. The video picks up right after the guy goes rogue again from shooting me in the back. Based on my limited PvP experience the build is very strong in a 1v1 or 1v2 scenario, but is easily swarmed by a group of players unless you can funnel them into a chokepoint (alleyway, subway tunnel, etc). I love it because it's a very good defensive build - typically the first person to start shooting wins, but with a shield build you're not at a huge loss if you're the defensive player. So far its been my most successful build for solo PvP. There seems to be an annoying glitch where someone can choke up on you and shoot through your shield if they hipfire, but if you can keep them at a medium range like I did you'll usually come out ahead with room to spare. :)

Bonus: Almost everyone I fight bitches about the shield (this guy says "pussy with a shield"), so if you like farming tears it seems to be Grade A for that.

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Dec 26, 2016

hug a mexican
Jul 8, 2010

Hakarne posted:

Bonus: Almost everyone I fight bitches about the shield (this guy says "pussy with a shield"),

this sounds like the true victory in the dorkzone honestly

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

Hakarne posted:

You're a god dammed animal. What are your main three stats?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

GET MY BELT SON posted:

You're a god dammed animal. What are your main three stats?

Hakarne posted:

Sure, here you go:

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it

ZombyDog posted:

I think it was determined through data mining that named gear has a 1% drop rate from their namesake.

Thanks, that's kind of what I expected but I'm glad to know it. I don't normally go in for this sort of thing, so I think this is the first time I've farmed some mmo boss several times a day since Rend Blackhand.

edit: why is the WarrenGate Power Plant so bizarrely hard on Challenging? I solo Challenging stuff all the time, and my buddy and I duo Challenging stuff with zero effort, including Riker stuff like Lexington, and then this thing has shotgunners running at like 200% speed and heavy gunners appearing from nowhere, bursting out of sewer manholes, popping their heads out of player pianos, etc. The two of us duo the 45-intel HVTs with no problem and this felt way harder. Is WarrenGate a weird exception or what is going on here?

anime tupac fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Dec 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Differo Cathedra
Oct 9, 2012

To be honest it was 4AM when I started making the gif and even I don't know what it's supposed to be about by the time I finished it an hour and a few GIS searches later :effort:

Outside of incursions or challenging underground with 5 directives, warrengate is considered by many to be the hardest mission in the game. A ton of enemies with numerous flanking routes, multiple situations where you are facing a bunch of yellow shotgunners along with heavies and grenadiers. If you can't burn down elites fast enough you will get overrun and melted or run out of time in the penultimate room.

After you min-maxed your setup, its "fun" to successfully solo it though.

Also, the named item drop rates suck rear end. I'm loving tired of farming that dumb rear end helo but I want to emp some poo poo. :negative:

• Locked thread