Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Prince of Space posted:

If peramene DID cast something in the battle phase to aid her teammates, it was probably something that decreased damage taken.

Or it could be... The impetuous buff... That you saw on your own sheet as actually getting... After battle phase resolved. :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venom Soag
Oct 1, 2015

Tactical Sexpionage Tourism
I can not fathom where the “peramene cast no buffs” line of reasoning ever came from at this point. I feel like I’ve had hours of my life wasted.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Bifauxnen posted:

hey flerp while you're here, that other cool thing was fine in either row, right?

yeah, it works no matter where im at

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Bifauxnen posted:

If pera DID cast a buff during battle phase, what would you EXPECT to see?

But whatever, this could just be a case of people trying to play Super Mario Brothers 2 again or something. You haven't paid enough attention to what Cat's said anyway so this seems to just be going around in circles.

Even if pera did cast a buff, it could be a ploy for townie cred while the back row got blown the gently caress up instead. It proves nothing. We still need to play Mafia.

Venom Soag posted:

I can not fathom where the “peramene cast no buffs” line of reasoning ever came from at this point. I feel like I’ve had hours of my life wasted.

Yyyyyyyup

Even Cat was trying to say she's suss despite the buff, not trying to disprove it

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
At this point I really want to know what CuriousCat is willing to confirm about what she did or didn't do in last night's preliminary phase and battle.

Same goes with peramene, since I'm currently voting fer her and all.

Bifauxnen posted:

Or it could be... The impetuous buff... That you saw on your own sheet as actually getting... After battle phase resolved. :geno:

It certainly is possible! But in my honest opinion that would be a really poor skill to use when yer in the front row, spendin' your battle action only buffing people fer the next battle.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Prince of Space posted:

At this point I really want to know what CuriousCat is willing to confirm about what she did or didn't do in last night's preliminary phase and battle.

Yeah nah let's focus more on lunching somebody please

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I'll hold off on voting for now since I'll be getting some sleep soon, and want to be able to come ok the hammer once y'all get closer to it. Around -3 is where we stop and check.

:beerpal: Votecount for Day 3 :beerpal:

Drunk Nerds (2): busb, flerp
SirSamVimes (2): Little Mac, Prince of Space, Venom Soag, Prince of Space
peramene (2): Venom Soag, Venom Soag, Retro Futurist, Venom Soag, Venom Soag, Prince of Space
Mithross (2): curiousCat, SLASHER HAWKE
Natural 20 (1): Prince of Space, Prince of Space, Anidav
SLASHER HAWKE (0): Drunk Nerds, Drunk Nerds
Venom Soag (0): busb, Drunk Nerds, Prince of Space, Drunk Nerds, busb, SirSamVimes, Prince of Space, SirSamVimes

Not Voting (11): Atomic Soda, Bifauxnen, Drunk Nerds, iajanus, Jeabus Mahogany, Mithross, Natural 20, peramene, SirSamVimes, Tired Moritz, tpink :rubshands:

With 20 people still alive, it takes 11 votes to execute.
The current deadline is January 09th, 2018 at 8 p.m. EST -- that's in about 13 hours, 22 minutes.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Bifauxnen posted:

Yeah nah let's focus more on lunching somebody please

CuriousCat is more or less the lunch-pin of whether or not I'm somewhere on the right track.

I'm going hafta go to bed with a vote on peramene fer now, then. Lookin' forward to seein' all the new material (and votes) when I get up.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
It's tricky because I have suspicions about all four current vote leaders

also because I'm a sleepy idiot

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
I feel like buff talk went in circles and was pretty much pointless.

I believe SSV should be our choice today, they have been moderately scummy all game, and missing TNL's death doesn't help that any (even I know who died Bif right? I'm pretty sure Bif died in the battle last night

##vote SSV

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

Tired Moritz I'd like your opinion on TNL's tactician list in light of last night's flips

I quoted it earlier

Others feel free to chime in

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Town
Town
got attacked out of battle so 90% Town
Town
unconfirmed

hmm

are you trying to say that im lying about my tactician status? or that since there was so many town tacticians that at least one of us has to be scum? that's a wee bit setup speccy of you, ain't it?

there's no reason to believe flerp's attack'd claim tbh.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

Tired Moritz posted:

are you trying to say that im lying about my tactician status? or that since there was so many town tacticians that at least one of us has to be scum? that's a wee bit setup speccy of you, ain't it?

there's no reason to believe flerp's attack'd claim tbh.

who got "nightkilled" night 1 if it wasn't flerp?

Venom Soag
Oct 1, 2015

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

who got "nightkilled" night 1 if it wasn't flerp?

So many options here. No one, long term town cred gambit, NK was blocked, etc.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
[quote]The scum in each thread mayalso perform a Night Kill during the Battle phase if desired.[quote/]

its in the rules

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
my brain is exploding for messing that up

Tired Moritz posted:

Podima posted:

The scum in each thread may also perform a Night Kill during the Battle phase if desired.

its in the rules

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

##unvote

I'm uncomfortable voting after the claim and not remembering TNL died is more likely a disengaged town mistake to make. I'm still open to it, but not committed.

Also busb is in this game?

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

Tired Moritz posted:

that's a wee bit setup speccy of you, ain't it?

Also you should probably be asking that of tithin and TNL, who both flipped town

Venom Soag posted:

So many options here. No one, long term town cred gambit, NK was blocked, etc.

don't answer the questions for him gdi

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
just because theyre town doesnt mean that theyre right.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

while flerp could be lying saying there's absolutely zero reason to believe him is a bit of a stretch

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
well im town

so i dont get what youre trying to get me to say.

Venom Soag
Oct 1, 2015

Little Mac posted:

##unvote

I'm uncomfortable voting after the claim and not remembering TNL died is more likely a disengaged town mistake to make. I'm still open to it, but not committed.

Also busb is in this game?

Everything about this sucks.

- it’s more commonly lurky scum who don’t pay attention to flips

- you’re lurky as gently caress so YOU don’t get to pull the “so and so is in this game???” bullshit

All you’re interested in is excusing yourself.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

Tired Moritz posted:

well im town

so i dont get what youre trying to get me to say.

I mainly just wanted to see your initial reaction to the prod

fyi it seemed a bit omgus-y

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I need sleep, going to bed

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

I mainly just wanted to see your initial reaction to the prod

fyi it seemed a bit omgus-y

but you were the one who pushed that I had to be scum because Im the "only unconfirmed tactician"

I'm just pointing out that flerp could be lying.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Venom Soag posted:

Everything about this sucks.

- it’s more commonly lurky scum who don’t pay attention to flips

- you’re lurky as gently caress so YOU don’t get to pull the “so and so is in this game???” bullshit

All you’re interested in is excusing yourself.

Coming from the pov of an actual disengaged townie, I disagree!

I also get to post what I want. It's very good and fun. Perhaps I could have worded it with "busb's parts weirded me out, but I will reread later" but that's less funny to me.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Also

Cartridgeblowers fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jan 9, 2018

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Tired Moritz posted:

but you were the one who pushed that I had to be scum because Im the "only unconfirmed tactician"

I'm just pointing out that flerp could be lying.

I think withholding the NK for a tactical advantage is unlikely.

If we look at gamestate D1, B-minus went for a lynch and Inf was being Inf and had a tonne of heat.

You withhold the NK to generate confusion and a long term advantage in return for less initial damage, but if that's the case, scum were probably looking what? 3 days in advance for this to yield rewards? This is with the confusion of battles added on.

I can buy a scumteam doing that, but it seems like an awfully large investment for potential yield down the road.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Jesus Christ phone posting is loving terrible

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
flerp did waste a bunch of heals that could had been used on someone else

you know, if they were lying.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Please don't edit your posts, even "ninja" edits aren't always safe! There's no shame in Mafia edits!

I saw the original post and this edit is harmless, but the whole thread should take this as a warning. Thanks for understanding!

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
daddy's always watching :x

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Venom Soag posted:

Iaj is legit always slimy though.

Same

Tired Moritz posted:

I dont think pera is doing her usual town game. Seems very off

I am not and I have now thrice told you that due to an enormous amount of picking and private complaint, I'm trying to buck against it. That means first and foremost taking a step back because when I go hog on anything, I can say so much it's loving deafening. As scum this is good but it's always detrimental as town. And a lot of work either way

Prince of Space posted:

I noticed you've been sussin' peramene all game and I wanted to hear your take on her. Now it seems like both you and Venom Soag are saying the same gut-feeling thing about her.

If peramene flips town, however, I'm gonna hafta assume that both Venom Soag and Tired Moritz are scum, and that Venom Soag was the one who eviscerated his own teammates in battle last night.

Even though I agree with your conclusion, I'm not sure I'm comfortable backing this reasoning, especially because I explicitly theorized it d1. Always gotta be super suspicious of chaining anything, especially when you're confident.

Prince of Space posted:

Mind you all, this here buff I have is a minor increase to all stats, lasts fer one whole day, and it can't be applied to those who're injured.

I sincerely doubt peramene spent her battle phase action last night casting "Impetuousness" on me or on the front row.

You loving idiot.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
hi, it's me, peramene; prolific liar, bad town player, friend to all who kiss

i spent a lot of effort and posting trying to get around saying the buff's name, indeed wanting to give only the information that was loving necessary

space, you jackass, how many different ranks or whatever do you think have the ability to do the same ability for gently caress'S SAKE

this entire line of questioning and/or confusing has either been blatant rolefishing that I'm disgusted to be basically trapped into checking the loving yes box so Good Play, I Guess but I cannot imagine that an upstanding texas citizen would make this mistake

PoS is now my primary target and imo a safe-as-gently caress bet-hedger because even if he isn't scum, he sure seems keen to do their work for them.

##vote prince of space

I'm gonna reread his dumbass now.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Natural 20 posted:

I think withholding the NK for a tactical advantage is unlikely.

I disagree entirely - a nightkill that doesn't actually kill could be withheld and the "recipient" for that day could straight up pretend to have been targeted. Nightkills that don't explicitly kill should - at least to my "permanent scum mindset" - be used utterly differently.

Add to that that KB happens to be the player who taught me this. In one of cpig's games, he was smart enough to realize that everything in the game was topsy-loving-turvied to the extreme on DAY ONE. He took all of the knowledge he had as a scum player - which fantastically enough did indeed include a list of all the abilities in the game lmao - and he realized that the nightkill was incredibly dangerous to use. Too many town powers were "traditionally scum powers" that redirected, or lightning rod'd. Targeting anyone for a nightkill was playing russian roulette, always. Instead of just accepting it and spending the insane amount of effort trying to manipulate everyone into doing as he wanted in nightphase (impossible without the support of a competent team, which he did not have) which is what I had theorized I would do with that information, he realized that there was only one surefire guaranteed kill in the game: town's vote to execute.

Unless I'm mistaken, he is in roughly the same position now, which makes him an incredibly brilliant adversary who also happens to be playing a faction which heads, so Holy poo poo Sara, he's simultaneously town as far as he's concerned, which he (disappointingly) prefers to play as, and can leverage his absolutely loving masterful scumbrain. It is entirely possible that KB would experiment to see what the NK does and then never use it again unless to specifically help buy cred for a prior fake target. Without explicitly knowing what it does in fact I'UNNO, but don't ever underestimate scum!KB.

this was a much more entertaining post to write. im going for a walk. vote space

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Podima posted:

Please don't edit your posts, even "ninja" edits aren't always safe! There's no shame in Mafia edits!

I saw the original post and this edit is harmless, but the whole thread should take this as a warning. Thanks for understanding!

Yeah I was ready to take my licks for that one. Again, phone posting sucks. Thank you for understanding.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

peramene posted:

I disagree entirely - a nightkill that doesn't actually kill could be withheld and the "recipient" for that day could straight up pretend to have been targeted. Nightkills that don't explicitly kill should - at least to my "permanent scum mindset" - be used utterly differently.

Add to that that KB happens to be the player who taught me this. In one of cpig's games, he was smart enough to realize that everything in the game was topsy-loving-turvied to the extreme on DAY ONE. He took all of the knowledge he had as a scum player - which fantastically enough did indeed include a list of all the abilities in the game lmao - and he realized that the nightkill was incredibly dangerous to use. Too many town powers were "traditionally scum powers" that redirected, or lightning rod'd. Targeting anyone for a nightkill was playing russian roulette, always. Instead of just accepting it and spending the insane amount of effort trying to manipulate everyone into doing as he wanted in nightphase (impossible without the support of a competent team, which he did not have) which is what I had theorized I would do with that information, he realized that there was only one surefire guaranteed kill in the game: town's vote to execute.

Unless I'm mistaken, he is in roughly the same position now, which makes him an incredibly brilliant adversary who also happens to be playing a faction which heads, so Holy poo poo Sara, he's simultaneously town as far as he's concerned, which he (disappointingly) prefers to play as, and can leverage his absolutely loving masterful scumbrain. It is entirely possible that KB would experiment to see what the NK does and then never use it again unless to specifically help buy cred for a prior fake target. Without explicitly knowing what it does in fact I'UNNO, but don't ever underestimate scum!KB.

this was a much more entertaining post to write. im going for a walk. vote space

Okay, so the game is effectively super role madness. But, if we assume a scumteam of 4-5, they have knowledge of 4-5 roles. If additionally they have a diverse set of roles it's likely that they have a decent read on town capabilities.

You're correct, in a game with swarms of redirects and lightningrods your best choice as scum is often to just not NK because you have no idea what the drat thing is actually going to do.

But this isn't how I perceive soldiers. My character sheet gives me no out of battle actions during the battle phase. Given that nobody has reported outside of battle actions during the battle phase for the past two days, I have strong reason now to believe that this is universal.

Given scum are likely to have known that this was universal since they have multiple character sheets to check, it seems likely then that they have no reason to fear a redirected night kill.

Even if the target doesn't die, scum can pick players who seem like they have strong abilities or whose confirmation as town will make it more likely that other town targets die in the future. This benefit is at least similar to the gain granted by choosing to withhold the NK.

Logically then, I think that if scum didn't cripple someone D1 they would be making a large tactical error, so I'm willing to buy flerp.

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
:beerpal: Votecount for Day 3 :beerpal:

Drunk Nerds (2): busb, flerp
SirSamVimes (2): Little Mac, Prince of Space, Venom Soag, Prince of Space, Mithross, Little Mac
peramene (2): Venom Soag, Venom Soag, Retro Futurist, Venom Soag, Venom Soag, Prince of Space
Mithross (2): curiousCat, SLASHER HAWKE
Prince of Space (1): peramene
Natural 20 (1): Prince of Space, Prince of Space, Anidav
SLASHER HAWKE (0): Drunk Nerds, Drunk Nerds
Venom Soag (0): busb, Drunk Nerds, Prince of Space, Drunk Nerds, busb, SirSamVimes, Prince of Space, SirSamVimes

Not Voting (10): Atomic Soda, Bifauxnen, Drunk Nerds, iajanus, Jeabus Mahogany, Little Mac, Natural 20, SirSamVimes, Tired Moritz, tpink :rubshands:

With 20 people still alive, it takes 11 votes to execute.
The current deadline is January 09th, 2018 at 8 p.m. EST -- that's in about 7 hours, 28 minutes.

Compared to the jovial attitude after the previous victory, things got downright acrimonious at Camp Mabry in the wake of their drubbing at the Mexicans' hands.

A handful of hot-headed members of the State Guard snuck off for a few head-clearing drinks at the local saloon. Draining mug after mug, the conversation grew steadily more heated as they tried to figure out who among them could be a filthy rotten traitor. All well and good, until they began accusing each other! Ultimately, they darn near trashed the place until Ma turned up to drag them all back to camp by the ear.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
:cheers: While reviewing, I noted that some people were not provided with correct/clear information on their sheets. Everyone should review for potential updates. Thank you for your continued patience. :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Ohhhhh, I see. You meant that bitch.

You and Bizarro Asiina are giving me fuckin flash backs, you know. I don't think I can afford to go the third option in this scenario. But do I have a new fourth option this time? Both instead of neither? Is that wishful thinking?

To the rest of you: morning all, why are there not more votes

• Locked thread