Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
Shinsou stopping Monoma from exploding himself with one for all is my theory. he lost his fight with Deku because he blew his finger up so he's probably aware of the damage that it could cause.

Tying this into the other theories presented here - Bakugo wins in a complete shut out, driving Monoma to try and steal what appears to be a very powerful and simple to use quirk from Deku to try and tie up the score. Deku and co all work together to try and stop Monoma from blowing himself up rather than going for the win, with them ultimately failing only for Shinsou to stop monoma from killing himself at the last minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Bakugou will be the first one captured and Jiro will be the one to lead her team to victory.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nephthys posted:

Opposite opinion: Bakagou is going to lose hard because 1-B's girls actually get poo poo done and Monoma is oddly confident that Tokage can beat him. Then he'll have a panic attack watching Midoriya own bones in the last match.

Also he seems to have a plan but he probably knows literally zero of his opponents quirks so this should be fun to watch.

Counter: Bakugo has a plan that everyone is calling absolutely batshit insane, but that we haven't heard. Those tend to be the most successful plans in shonen manga.

It's also been a long time since Bakugo got to kick rear end, the main problem 1-A's been having is not going all-out from the jump (Which is not an issue for Bakugo), and Tokage, while likely quite badass, is a recommended student, meaning she gets to fire up Bakugo's inferiority complex and force him to go even more Plus Ultra than usual.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

chiasaur11 posted:

Counter: Bakugo has a plan that everyone is calling absolutely batshit insane, but that we haven't heard. Those tend to be the most successful plans in shonen manga.

It's also been a long time since Bakugo got to kick rear end, the main problem 1-A's been having is not going all-out from the jump (Which is not an issue for Bakugo), and Tokage, while likely quite badass, is a recommended student, meaning she gets to fire up Bakugo's inferiority complex and force him to go even more Plus Ultra than usual.

As well, Bakugo represents the inheritance of All Mights desire to never lose. And this would not be the first time Monoma underestimated Bakugo.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Here's the real question: Will Sugar Man get to show off at all?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I think if Bakugo shows any progression here it's going to be from either more actively working with his team, or fighting without resorting to total overkill.

It would be disappointing if Bakugo either got whomped here without learning anything (and considering how long it's been since we last saw him in action, I doubt that's the case), or if he just overpowers everyone (and given that this arc is about either showing new capabilities (Shinso, Tsuyu, Iida), or running into a barrier to be surmounted (Todoroki), I also doubt that's the case) the same old Bakugo way.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Onmi posted:

To be fair, unless MHA was only going to cover year 1 of his schooling, which I think would be lame, I don't think 30 volumes, even at the pace we're at, would be enough to convey Deku's growth into the No.1 Hero.

I still need to know how the original text differs between the opening part's "greatest hero" and other uses of "number 1 hero"

Because those could have vastly different meanings. Most of my thinking about this series relies on the assumption that Deku is meant to do something so revolutionary that he goes off the scale that All Might previously topped.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Rhonne posted:

Bakugou will be the first one captured and Jiro will be the one to lead her team to victory.

Even though it would damage Bakugo’s arc, I’d rather see this. The result of this match raised my opinion of this arc a lot more than I thought it would, considering I didn’t like the previous fight or most of this one.

I am excited to see what Tokage does, since I love her costume design and motif. Also hope Jirou gets to do some cool stuff.

Please let Mina do cool stuff next match.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

FartingBedpost posted:

Please let Mina do cool stuff next match.

I demand Deku Mina dance fighting combo moves!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Rhonne posted:

horikoshi will forget to draw him for the entire duration of the fight

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Pony's tactic here was really good and made me happy, because with the way this arc had been going there was a risk she'd try to disable someone by impaling them to a wall with her horns or some poo poo.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Straight up stabbing someone is pretty hardcore.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

give my man deku a katana

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
It's pretty neat that Pony realized she was at a disadvantage against Class A's remaining fighter. Forcing it could result in a loss and in a real world situation it's more important to get your allies and bystanders to safety sometimes than just catch the villain if you have no way of beating them.

We saw it as kind of a joke early on, with a bunch of "crappy" heroes ignoring the slime guy who grabbed Bakugo, but knowing a bad matchup when you see one is pretty important.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Rhonne posted:

I drat well hope so.

He's my underdog minor character favorite, and I'm really hoping he finally gets out from under the whole 'deku's super strong so why should he exist at all' shadow, here, at least a little.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I’m the stealth Snickers product placement on page 11.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
bakugou definitely wins here. Midoriya pulls off some crazy bullshit next round but doesn't understand it/ can't control it so he can then have a proper showing in the next arc with a badass new power that was well setup by this arc

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I'm reasonably sure Deku's currently slightly messed up from his dream, so One for All isn't going to work properly and he's gonna lose

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Or he's going to misjudge his output and liquefy someone else's limbs for a change.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

look i don't much care how it happens as long as someone's skeleton explodes

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Izuku: Monoma! You can't copy my Quirk and expect to use it like I do!
Monoma: What, am I gonna blow up?
Izuku: No! It'll go straight to your thighs!
Monoma: ...my thighs...?
Izuku: And then you'll blow up!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

o4a is now an aoe attack so he blows up everyone's skeleton at once

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Funky Valentine posted:

Izuku: Monoma! You can't copy my Quirk and expect to use it like I do!
Monoma: What, am I gonna blow up?
Izuku: No! It'll go straight to your thighs!
Monoma: ...my thighs...?
Izuku: And then you'll blow up!

Someone Photoshop monoma's face onto squidward. He really is the squidward of MHA.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
i cant say for sure if monoma will go in for his team (though im still willing to bet he's the strongest in his class and only was in that remedial thing in the field trip because his classmates know their quirks/his quirk too well) but i AM willing to bet very safely that jirou will be insanely useless

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

monoma could have been in the remedial class because of his written exam scores. I think that's what got the class a students in there

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

drjuggalo posted:

i cant say for sure if monoma will go in for his team (though im still willing to bet he's the strongest in his class and only was in that remedial thing in the field trip because his classmates know their quirks/his quirk too well) but i AM willing to bet very safely that jirou will be insanely useless

I'll take that action.

Jiro's not one of the class stars, but she's generally got at least a scene of "Okay, yeah, that'd be useful" every time she shows, including a lot of utility in the movie. As far as frontline action, she's not got a great track record, but in terms of intel gathering she's pretty reliable.

Besides, Bakugo needs someone to interact with, and as his other teammates are Sero and Sugarman...

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Nov 18, 2018

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014

chiasaur11 posted:

I'll take that action.

Jiro's not one of the class stars, but she's generally got at least a scene of "Okay, yeah, that'd be useful" every time she shows, including a lot of utility in the movie. As far as frontline action, she's not got a great track record, but in terms of intel gathering she's pretty reliable.

Besides, Bakugo needs someone to interact with, and as his other teammates are Sero and Sugarman.

since i love seto and want to see sugarman down a tiramisu and go full deku im doubling down on jirou's potential uselessness here (though she had like two moments unlike momo so im fully expecting to be wrong here and not laugh my balls off like I did with momo) she might even ascend and be as functionally useful as one full froppy. I also never watched the movie so idk anything about that stuff

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Monoma will copy one for all but be unable to use it because he doesn't know the technique

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

He's going to copy Mina's quirk and accidentally melt all his clothes off.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Rhonne posted:

Based on the track record for under-utilized Class A students so far...

Koda, Aoyama, Hagakure, Ojiro, Shouji (one cool panel doesn't count)...

Hell fuckin' no. But I sure hope so because 200+ chapters is a long time to spend as a side character where your max potential is literally "Deku, but worse." Horikoshi has to think up something to make him relevant, or just go the Koda/Aoyama/Hagakure/Ojiro route and bench him asap.

Also vaguely related but if there's anything I wish there was a bit more of in this series it's consistency. When we started out, there was some importance placed on the limits and drawbacks of quirks. Uraraka will get sick if she lifts too much, Mineta's overuse hurts him, Iida has a time limit to burn out, Aizawa's got itchy eyes and has to blink, ect. That was cool. A special ability with a catch.

Then he just kind of started forgetting to give those drawbacks to new characters and their abilities are just kind of on/off switches, they don't even tire the users out. Like sure, Aizawa's the Professional Hero's eyes get increasingly itchy and the window between blinks gets smaller if he's engaged in combat for too long, but high schoolers can go quirk-crazy as long as they want. Infinite vines, on/off Hulking, solid air cages, infinite instant mushrooms, building-sized solid SFX, softening he entire earth for prolonged periods of time and then doing it to a massive steel tower, and holding up yourself and three unconscious bodies on your magic horns. Like, that doesn't take anything out of Pony? Does gravity not affect her horns, she can just lift someone up with one and suspend them in the air for almost 20 minutes and she doesn't feel anything? At least give me a throwaway line about Mudman or Pony being exhausted after pushing their quirks to that extent.

And they're only one generation removed from Aizawa and the teachers so I don't want to hear anything about the quirk singularity. If he keeps forgetting to give any upkeep requirement (besides being conscious) or drawbacks to these quirks going forward the fights are going to get worse and worse because there's no JoJo/HxH ability condition puzzle to solve or One Piece secret techniques to bust out because these 1st year high school literal children are already as capable as the pros.

EDIT: Note that I love Horikoshi and I love MHA still, I'm just complaining because I want it to be better and ever since the first Tsuyu fight ended it has just been a showcase of the series' weakpoints.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 18, 2018

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I think the limitations aren't being forgotten, but everyone is starting to overcome their limitations from the start. Deku couldn't use AfO without breaking his bones, but now he's able to use as much as 20% without lasting damage, Ida can now use his super fast mode longer, etc. I think the same goes for everyone is Class 1B as well.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I really want MHA to have Dragon ball levels of escalation now

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Yeah, enhancing quirks and strengtening them is part of the program for UA students.
We've seen 1-A do this during the forest camp. So we can assume 1-B did the same.

But unlike 1-A we haven't really seen these characters in action before. So we don't really have a good point of reverence.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I think Aizawa,is literally the only pro we've seen who still has a drawback like that, outside of All Might's special case.

I do agree the series would be more interesting with those drawbacks around but Horikoshi has displayed quite clearly this isn't supposed to be anything but typical fighting shonen and shonen loves flashy.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Viridiant posted:

I think Aizawa,is literally the only pro we've seen who still has a drawback like that, outside of All Might's special case.

I do agree the series would be more interesting with those drawbacks around but Horikoshi has displayed quite clearly this isn't supposed to be anything but typical fighting shonen and shonen loves flashy.

Except we just had an arc focusing on a couple pros, and it repeatedly made note of their limitations. Endeavor uses his fire too much, he burns up inside. Hawks uses his feathers up, they're gone until they can grow back.

People being good at working around limits isn't the same thing as limits not existing.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Yeah Endeavor and Hawks are the #1 and #2 heroes right now and were presented with extremely clear and serious limitations on how hard and far they can go. You also have stuff like Best Jeanist whose powers are 100% dependent on clothing.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
Manga does note that using his quirk so much has left him with a sore throat, so presumably the others also have drawbacks that simply didn't get brought up. We didn't know the limitations on Shinsou's quirk until they were mentioned in this arc, after all.

A common thing I've seen in fanfics is to give Shinsou a megaphone, and this arc just crapped on that by revealing his quirk doesn't work if his voice is converted into an electronic signal.

Shadowlyger fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 18, 2018

Rouncer
Jul 23, 2009

They probably all have limitations but we just haven’t seen enough of them to see all those limitations in action. Furboy in the first fight was said to get manic when in beast form. Vine girl needs to regularly water her vines so she would get wrecked if fighting todoroki’s heat. Mudman can’t affect living things so is vulnerable to close combat and pony is limited to 4 active horns and probably needs line of sight or has significant range limit to control them otherwise would have caged todoroki while floating with teammates rather then accepting the draw.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Rouncer posted:

They probably all have limitations but we just haven’t seen enough of them to see all those limitations in action. Furboy in the first fight was said to get manic when in beast form. Vine girl needs to regularly water her vines so she would get wrecked if fighting todoroki’s heat. Mudman can’t affect living things so is vulnerable to close combat and pony is limited to 4 active horns and probably needs line of sight or has significant range limit to control them otherwise would have caged todoroki while floating with teammates rather then accepting the draw.
True, I should have left Apocabeast off the list since I forgot his actually mattered, being in that state is probably what made him realize too late that he was focused on the wrong thing and thus got an ally to the dome.

The rest though hardly seem to matter. Yeah vines wouldn't work against that one specific quirk, but otherwise she's free to create enough to cover a city block and control them independently.

Mudman doesn't need to use it on living things since he can use it on the entirety of the ground and giant steel towers after using it on all of Todoroki's ice after using it throughout the arena to create traps because sometimes it takes effect immediately and other times it doesn't. (I really didn't like his quirk, can you tell?)

And range limit? Did you miss the part where they're strong and fast enough for her to spear Ojiro in the tail and fly him all the way to the jail without him being able to do a thing to stop them? Doesn't seem like there's a significant limit there. I'm more concerne with the fact that these little horns can hold up a guy like Tetsu's dead weight without any effect on Pony herself. Sure Hawks can do the same with a whole building full of civilians with -feathers- and that's insane, but that annoyed me too and also he's a pro.

Shadowlyger posted:

Manga does note that using his quirk so much has left him with a sore throat, so presumably the others also have drawbacks that simply didn't get brought up. We didn't know the limitations on Shinsou's quirk until they were mentioned in this arc, after all.
Sure, but at least he mentioned it during the fight and we could see the effects of it firsthand, even if it seems a little disproportionate to what he can throw out. The others went crazy hard on their quirks and never slowed down for a second until they either won or were taken out physically. Shinsou's a great example of a super strong quirk that's been well thought out since it has drawbacks and limitations like him being unable to use it on multiple people in one shot or make people obey complex instructions.

Mulderman posted:

Yeah, enhancing quirks and strengtening them is part of the program for UA students.
We've seen 1-A do this during the forest camp. So we can assume 1-B did the same.
But unlike 1-A we haven't really seen these characters in action before. So we don't really have a good point of reverence.
That's true, it would have helped to see where some of these kids started versus where they're at now. Although not necessarily. Todoroki for example has been this level of absurdly overpowered since his first appearance but apparently the kid can't do anything once an opponent gets into melee range and he used to have to regulate his body temperature so at least there's some attempt at established weaknesses or limitations. I just wish at least one of these wunderkind would have their quirk fail for one due to overuse or exhaustion but Honenuki could still liquify an entire tower by touching it once even while trying not to black the gently caress out from being kicked in the head.

EDIT: Reconsideration: Ultimately, this is a shonen manga. Things are going to escalate, people are going to have insane powers, this is an inevitability. We started things right off the bat with Deku being able to wreck a giant robot and Todoroki able to freeze Sero in a skyscraper of ice. So the powers themselves being overpowered is annoying to me but it isn't a dealbreaker. I can deal with the powers.

I guess what makes it so annoying to me is 1-A's complete inability to deal with it. These kids are pro heroes in training and their response to 1-B above all else is kind of embarassing and since 1-A is supposed to be on the same level as 1-B it is really frustrating to watch. Only a handful of these kids have fought villains outside of USJ, the rest have had the same schooling as 1-B so this gap does not make sense.

Shouji was able to stop one of Pony's horns with one arm. Ojiro couldn't do anything? They're that fast and powerful? Like, it would been cool as poo poo to see Ojiro show off how strong he really is and fight back against the horns or just smash them to the ground. Instead he did nothing and got put away and showed absolutely no growth. So Ojiro's record remains Did Something Off Screen At UA -> Got Brainwashed By Shinsou -> Couldn't Fight Kaibara At All -> Lost To Pony. At least he got to swing his tail around a couple times this time. Plus, Honenuki's softening. None of y'all can swim? He can swim through it. Do something, geez.

Then there's Hagakure VS Kinoko. She had mushrooms growing on her... So what? Yeah it's gross, but Kinoko never once established that they were anything but normal mushrooms so why did that completely paralyze her and keep her from doing anything but pointlessly stand there trying to pluck them all off?

Koda at least had the excuse of being put into an air cage so he can't use his one ability, but at the same time... Are we supposed to assume there are even animals here? He doesn't have a backup plan? How's he going to be a hero in an urban environment if he can't do a single thing on his own?

I know all of 1-A can't be the stars every time but when the B-listers finally get their chance to spotlight and they're completely wasted like this it really gets to me. At least let them struggle a little.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Nov 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Rhonne posted:

He's going to copy Mina's quirk and accidentally melt all his clothes off.

Nah, he's gonna copy Mina's quirk, transform into a pink-coloured bishounen and kick off the fevered imaginations of fangirls leading to approximately two hundred Mina/Monoma smut fanfics coming online within 48 hours. I mean obviously.