Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

grats

take a nap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
*pulls pin in a grenade with a giant "BIDET CHAT" label on it, chucks it into thread, walks away*

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
poo poo. I clicked over to my RSS feed after posting that and this showed up
https://www.vice.com/en/article/epnqmm/tushy-bidet-sale-deals
:tinfoil:

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Stringent posted:

small sample size, but japanese ppl i've spoken to irl have been leery of the vaccine and no where near as gung ho as the westerners here i've spoken with. i think a lot of that has to do with the pandemic control being good enough that people can realistically weigh the dangers of what's essentially an experimental vaccine against the likelihood of catching covid.

i absolutely think it's this. japan was not hit hard and so people see (or saw) a need to take extreme precautions

on the other hand i remember talking to my friend in japan back in march 2020 how he was sick for a month with Something but any clinic he went to refused to do a covid test on him. again, extremely anecdotal evidence but it really leaves an impression that japan had a policy in place to deliberately downplay the pandemic for a long time.

to their credit i guess a lot of companies did go through with work from home for that period (and the c-levels are furiously rolling that back now) and this kept things from spreading out of control. similarly how france's extreme lockdown took infection rates down really quickly

in the end i think it is a losing game for the government no matter what they do: if they decide to take full measures, force vaccinations then they get berated for being too authoritarian and experimenting on people with untrusted medications; if they decide not to do anything, they get blamed for all the needless deaths. no matter what the strategy, someone will always be complaining loudly

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jesus christ stop promoting the narrative that the covid vaccine is untested already.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Penisface posted:

in the end i think it is a losing game for the government no matter what they do: if they decide to take full measures, force vaccinations then they get berated for being too authoritarian and experimenting on people with untrusted medications; if they decide not to do anything, they get blamed for all the needless deaths. no matter what the strategy, someone will always be complaining loudly

given the choice between letting thousands of citizens die or getting yelled at by whatever the japanese equivalent of a qanon is, i simply can't decide which is worse. what a conundrum

mystes posted:

Jesus christ stop promoting the narrative that the covid vaccine is untested already.

this too. at this point talking about the vaccine being "experimental" is the same as claiming evolution is "only a theory." the covid vaccines at this point are probably the best-studied vaccines in human history. grow up

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 23, 2021

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

who needs bidet when you can use Iəgʷəb šəqádi? ?Ixʷəd

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

mystes posted:

hello sir/madam i maybe have some news about japanese society, their traditions, their ruling class and accepting and implementing new concepts that come from abroad

i mean the science is super valid and settled (just like the science on climate change), but this does not mean that governments will act on it with any urgency (just like with climate change)

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

i think there is a surprising amount of people in the world who continue to live through the pandemic without really caring about getting covid at all or getting vaccinated, and i don't mean that they think it's all a hoax - they simply ignore it and go by their day

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

i met someone briefly at a thing around march last year, and i'll never forget them because they said something like "i'm not nervous about it, i just really don't see this affecting me or my family at all"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

"just assume everything is going to work out great" fatalism is a common coping mechanism to capitalist hellscape life, like I can't do anything about it anyway so why bother worrying

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

qirex posted:

"just assume everything is going to work out great" fatalism is a common coping mechanism to capitalist hellscape life, like I can't do anything about it anyway so why bother worrying

:yeah:

i downplayed it a lot at the beginning but then made several very large public apologies to my friends and family about my attitude in march 2020 over the past year

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah i dismissed a nyc coworker's fears in feb 20 with "american health care is good, we wont let that poo poo take hold even if it does come here"

haha

lol. lmao

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

shoeberto posted:

*pulls pin in a grenade with a giant "BIDET CHAT" label on it, chucks it into thread, walks away*

can i still wash my feet in the terlet?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Jonny 290 posted:

haha

lol. lmao

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

President Beep posted:

can i still wash my feet in the terlet?

does Steve jobs poo poo in the woods?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

PokeJoe posted:

does Steve jobs poo poo in the woods?

are there a bunch of random fruit trees in the forests around cupertino?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah i dismissed a nyc coworker's fears in feb 20 with "american health care is good

Why did you think that? Were you on drugs or something?

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

american healthcare is good if you can afford it or have great insurance which was implied there

thats increasingly less likely as we move forward

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

You can't have an "if" there. Its not allowed. Healthcare is either good or not.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

"American policing is good.

If you're a police."

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

3D Megadoodoo posted:

You can't have an "if" there. Its not allowed. Healthcare is either good or not.

yeah absolutely

but america is hellworld and context is important

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
Gave my two weeks today and had lunch with a good friend at a nice restaurant. 5/5 Would do again.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

TerminalRaptor posted:

Gave my two weeks today and had lunch with a good friend at a nice restaurant. 5/5 Would do again.

o7

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

TerminalRaptor posted:

:yeah:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

TerminalRaptor posted:

muy bueno.

me I just took the day off to have a visit with my sister who's up from america

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Coming back to the office now and in the lobby they play the weirdest experimental artsy fartsy music. You can hear it in the bathroom too, so I'm listening to this ambient piano track with meowing kittens and some guy comes in and lets out a massive fart. Almost burst out laughing.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

no hay camino posted:

Coming back to the office now and in the lobby they play the weirdest experimental artsy fartsy music. You can hear it in the bathroom too, so I'm listening to this ambient piano track with meowing kittens and some guy comes in and lets out a massive fart. Almost burst out laughing.

this is basically yospos.aiff

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jonny 290 posted:

this is basically yospos.aiff

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah i dismissed a nyc coworker's fears in feb 20 with "american health care is good, we wont let that poo poo take hold even if it does come here"

haha

lol. lmao

lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i told a student in feb 2020 "yeah, it looks bad, but i think china has it pretty much under control with their lockdowns and sterilization and stuff. i don't think it'll spread in the rest of the world."

i was half right!

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I went to IKEA today so I'm probably dead now. that's bad enough but they didn't even have three of the things we went to get in stock :argh:

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I went to IKEA today so I'm probably dead now. that's bad enough but they didn't even have three of the things we went to get in stock :argh:

ikeas entire supply chain has been hosed to hell since the pandemic began. they are constantly out of a ton of stuff at both the philly locations

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I went a couple of months to buy a bookshelf, some kitchen stuff, and a drying rack and nearly everything in the kitchen department was out of stock, or there were only a handful of things there.

They didn't have any of the smaller drying rack, and I picked up one of the last of the larger ones.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

second shot received. pandemic over babyyyyy

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Truman Peyote posted:

second shot received. pandemic over babyyyyy

Welcome brother, to the side that can go out to brunch every single day.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
last week was considering using the wee pharmacy I run as a vaccine centre for covid but we decided against it as I am probably too small but I am going to try to give them at our sister pharmacy and then it’ll be like yes I played a small part in something good

I’ve never been to an ikea and people here who’ve been to one overseas talk about it likes it’s the next coming of christ

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it is acceptable quality, well-priced, generically-clean-design furniture and housewares as far as the eye can see.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

echinopsis posted:

I’ve never been to an ikea and people here who’ve been to one overseas talk about it likes it’s the next coming of christ

it's pretty good if you want affordable real solid wood furniture without having to search the ends of the earth for it

also the meatballs in the restaurant are pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

don't forget the meatballs and the tiny food court where you can rest before moving to the lot to pull your purchases

it's low pressure furniture shopping and every display setup is 100% sold there so you could walk out with a fully matched room if you wish

edit: yeah food court buddy!