Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Sketched up an orbital chart for the plasma giant's neighborhood. Here's some spatial context for ya!

That's gorgeous, Cogwerks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

buglord posted:

Hi friends. Has anything changed since mid 2016 in regards to performance and lag? I had a lot of fun with SS13, enjoyed running around screaming and farting in between being choked by crew mates. Unfortunately a lot of awful lag got in the way of that! I yearn to try this again.

yeah it's smoother than ever; it's almost disorienting how functional it is

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Sketched up an orbital chart for the plasma giant's neighborhood. Here's some spatial context for ya!

That is beautiful work, but I can't help but think the sun should have a hastily crossed-out name of another Nanotransen installation at its location.

Is this for a new coming map or something? I've been out of the loop on new Goonstation changes for a while now.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

God drat we're close to that thing. I suppose it could be worse, though. Space Station 17 looks like a real hellhole. Though Space Station 20 way out in the cold rear end-end of the system is probably just as bad.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That is beautiful work, but I can't help but think the sun should have a hastily crossed-out name of another Nanotransen installation at its location.

Is this for a new coming map or something? I've been out of the loop on new Goonstation changes for a while now.

I've been cross-referencing many notes, email fluff, coder chats, and player observations to try and establish a clearer idea of 'where the heck are we' for awhile.

I'll post some more of my concept art and rambling research about the Hyades cluster later today.

Wider map of the binary star system around the plasma giant. Abzu/oshan are over by that blue star.

Some of my digital illustrations of our moons and plasma giant:

Dr. Cogwerks fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Feb 25, 2019

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Holy poo poo these are great

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

From like six months ago:

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Discount Dan's Factory/Space OSHA nightmare map when?

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Real life 13 where the entire world is simulated perfectly but still in BYOND

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

monolithburger posted:

Discount Dan's Factory/Space OSHA nightmare map when?

Cogmap 1 and 2 were designed to have a whole bunch of that stuff, and really it's just good SS13 design anyway to encourage industrial accidents.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I like that the belt hell loops run directly through the hallways

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Anticheese posted:

Cogmap 1 and 2 were designed to have a whole bunch of that stuff, and really it's just good SS13 design anyway to encourage industrial accidents.

I remember that in various places it's possible to get instagibbed by crates, and in some hallways the walls open up and crates go flying through. Crate launchers have a small chance of flinging something far harder than what it should. I died many a time as a quartermaster to my own crates. The first thing you should do as genetecist is cover all the monkeys with sheets, otherwise they WILL KILL SOMEONE, and/or break the glass separating you from space and depressurize the place.

There's a few places with specifically placed oil spills that if you slip and fall, you might get thrown into the conveyor belt system.

Also of note, you can slip and fall into a trash can, and hit the lever on the way in, and get sent to the crusher. You have about a 5 second window to get back on your feet and hope that the door is unlocked and the crusher doors are closed.

Telescience has a small chance of the teleporter just failing and opening a portal to the void, of which everyone walking nearby will probably run into it. Also if you enter in incorrect coordinates and smash the receive button, all sorts of wonderful things can come though, sometimes the teleporter pad explodes killing everyone nearby, sometimes it hits everyone nearby with a lethal dose of rads, sometimes you get hostile drones, sometimes you get man eaters, sometimes you get NPC syndies with guns and explosive implants.

There's alot more than that.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

I kinda wish that Cogmap 1's science and medical sections were swapped around, so it'd be possible to lay space lube down from the airbridge and have a straight line to the void fissure.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Piano factory 13

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

tweet my meat posted:

I like that the belt hell loops run directly through the hallways

Belt Hell was inspired by me playing dwarf fortress (minecart update) while on a lotta cough syrup with the flu. "How can we make cargo horribly dangerous?"

Dr. Cogwerks fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 27, 2019

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Belt Hell was inspired by me playing dwarf fortress (minecart update) while on a lotta cough syrup with the flu. "How can we make cargo horribly dangerous?"
The SS13 design process: "How can we make --------- horribly dangerous?"

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I thought trying to flip a monkey would be easy but those things are freakishly overpowered.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

buglord posted:

I thought trying to flip a monkey would be easy but those things are freakishly overpowered.

Do not fight monkeys.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Anticheese posted:

I kinda wish that Cogmap 1's science and medical sections were swapped around, so it'd be possible to lay space lube down from the airbridge and have a straight line to the void fissure.

The only use I ever found for the mechanics items' ability to open unlocked doors was in creating graviton deathtraps that would attempt to fire people out the Cogmap 1 airbridge conveyor station. When they opened the door to the science wing, a mechanics device would open the airbridge doors too, and then they'd step on a graviton launcher in the anteroom and that would be that.

Sure, it was easier to just slap down a teleport device and plant the other end outside the station, but there's no style there.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Main Paineframe posted:

Sure, it was easier to just slap down a teleport device and plant the other end outside the station, but there's no style there.

:wrong:

Try having a cyborg waiting at the other end playing the wah-wah-waaaah sound effect as they teleport in and suffocate to death.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

:wrong:

Try having a cyborg waiting at the other end playing the wah-wah-waaaah sound effect as they teleport in and suffocate to death.

Failure. How can they hear the sound when there is no air?

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Once i rigged up doors and gravitrons to shoot someone from the bar out into space at escape. The captain saw it and killed me, deducing i was a traitor. We were the only 2 people online and i think about this injustice often.

primelaw
Apr 4, 2012

The most southern dandy robot judge
After having not played in a good while and starting again last night, is there any reason donut station or vagstation isn't in rotation? Are they just too old to worry about remaking with all the updated goodies?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

frodnonnag posted:

Failure. How can they hear the sound when there is no air?

solution: fill the room with plasma instead and teleport them into an inferno :supaburn:

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

primelaw posted:

After having not played in a good while and starting again last night, is there any reason donut station or vagstation isn't in rotation? Are they just too old to worry about remaking with all the updated goodies?

Yeah, pretty much. They were in rotation for a while when rotation was first a thing, but everyone hated them because they were missing a lot of the newer features and weren't especially fun to play on. The only people who voted for them were singularity cultists who would dash to the singularity engine at the start of every round, set it up, then hunt down antags so they could find someone with a legitimate excuse to release it.

primelaw
Apr 4, 2012

The most southern dandy robot judge
Aww man, donut station was always my favorite. I don't know where anything is in any of these newer maps.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

primelaw posted:

Aww man, donut station was always my favorite. I don't know where anything is in any of these newer maps.

http://www.goonhub.com/maps

Doesn't take too long to get familiar, they all have a certain style and sense to the arrangement.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Some items feel rare on one station and plentiful on another. On an unfamiliar map it takes me 15 minutes to fill a toolbelt sometimes

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I miss pocket boxes so goddamn much

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Isaac posted:

Some items feel rare on one station and plentiful on another. On an unfamiliar map it takes me 15 minutes to fill a toolbelt sometimes

The more recent maps (Oshan, Atlas, Horizon) have been built with item scarcity in mind, so that people don't immediately loot everything they could ever need and then gently caress around in their department all day without ever having to interact (though half the time, this still happens anyway). Though in the case of the smaller maps it could also just be 'no one actually remembered this item while making the map' so it's worth bringing up if you notice one item is particularly scarce.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Inadequately posted:

The more recent maps (Oshan, Atlas, Horizon) have been built with item scarcity in mind, so that people don't immediately loot everything they could ever need and then gently caress around in their department all day without ever having to interact (though half the time, this still happens anyway). Though in the case of the smaller maps it could also just be 'no one actually remembered this item while making the map' so it's worth bringing up if you notice one item is particularly scarce.

Definitely. I can definitely feel the intentionality of it in the newer maps where the old ones it can seem accidental.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Isaac posted:

Definitely. I can definitely feel the intentionality of it in the newer maps where the old ones it can seem accidental.

Cogstations 1 and 2 were made with plentiful items in mind

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Looking at that art: the universe is so beautiful and we are so poo poo.

This is the moral of Space Station 13.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

I vaguely remember raising metroids, was that ever a thing or am I making it up?

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

BattleCattle posted:

I vaguely remember raising metroids, was that ever a thing or am I making it up?

On other servers, not us.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

It was a thing on /tg/-base servers for a while, but a fair while ago they replaced the metroids with slimes.

Bo Jackson
Jul 23, 2013

primelaw posted:

Feel that

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Mors Rattus posted:

Do not fight monkeys.

...its for my research

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Do not fight monkeys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

Do not fight monkeys.

This 1000 times over, you will die, end of story.