Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

i think concepts like curiosity, caution and danger are present for most entities we would call conscious

which makes for an interesting timeline if you look at it a certain way:
a) they have been sighted since ancient times
b) ww2 happened and all of a sudden there are jets and big bombs - this is when foo fighters appear
c) we split the atom
d) we start loving around shooting poo poo at the nearby moon and planets

it may not be a cabal of g-men hiding poo poo, whatever these birds are can do that all by themselves without ever having to explain poo poo about themselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

https://twitter.com/UAPTheory/status/1528735963236663301

lmao

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

we regret to inform you uaptheory is racist

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
mo(k)neypox

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

https://twitter.com/UAPTheory/status/1528502456300208131?s=20&t=drKZ-r8Bz-_m6Jk_KAEZiA

uaptheory is q?!

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

always has been

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

that jpg of pnuti with the backwards red cap but this one says MAGA on it

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

i keep paying my reptilian left dues but i still get called smoothskin all the time

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

reptilian left is the new dirtbag left

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Picked up that Chains of the Sea anthology from the 70s cos :tinylue: used it as an analogy for the bird situation.

I've not got to the titular short story yet but the first one in the book is so prescient re: another facet of our rapidly dying world it made my blood run cold.

10/10, would recommend to bird-brained goons

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Barry Foster posted:

Picked up that Chains of the Sea anthology from the 70s cos :tinylue: used it as an analogy for the bird situation.

I've not got to the titular short story yet but the first one in the book is so prescient re: another facet of our rapidly dying world it made my blood run cold.

10/10, would recommend to bird-brained goons

Seems to be expensive and hard to find. Did you find someplace selling it for a reasonable price?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Bob Socko posted:

Seems to be expensive and hard to find. Did you find someplace selling it for a reasonable price?

It is indeed. So I may have gotten an ebook. A cheap ebook, one might say...

Edit looks like it can be found on amazon for :10bux: though (the ebook I mean)

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

SniperWoreConverse posted:

... or maybe it really is some kind of idk cryptobiotic precursor who isn't fuckin around with letting "loud" civs hit the scene. Some way of suppressing the fact that there's aliens ...

Sleekly posted:

a) they have been sighted since ancient times
b) ww2 happened and all of a sudden there are jets and big bombs - this is when foo fighters appear ...

Does the Nuremburg sightings fit into these frames?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

How about this: the space aliens do everything through sheer mental power and will, and are furiously trying to genetically engineer this ability into the weird monkees before their attempt to do the same things as them via explosions and burning things tears reality itself apart

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Establishing a colony on ur mom

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Bilirubin posted:

How about this: the space aliens do everything through sheer mental power and will, and are furiously trying to genetically engineer this ability into the weird monkees before their attempt to do the same things as them via explosions and burning things tears reality itself apart

I do like the idea that for all of our decades of tech fetishization, a hyper-advanced species basically being super-bodhisatvas leapfrogs us with their universal love

e:
Also today is a low-effort aitee according to a random reddit so let's all get ready for that:
https://www.reddit.com/r/wecomeinpeace/comments/uvz3gj/we_wont_have_to_wait_too_much_for_this_one/

Good Soldier Svejk has issued a correction as of 16:11 on May 24, 2022

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

SniperWoreConverse posted:

my argument is that the aliens should be visibly in our house, in our kitchen already, not in the backyard. They should clearly provably obviously be on proxima, or earth, because the time to spread is nearly instant compared to the time and huge space that has been available to generate life forms. But they're not. So there's some mechanism that prevents this proof from coming out, or there's something that has prevented them from showing up.

e: them not showing up for some reason seems mind bogglingly ridiculous and unlikely unless it's something like we actually are blind idiot morons with broken garbage tier equipment, or maybe it really is some kind of idk cryptobiotic precursor who isn't fuckin around with letting "loud" civs hit the scene. Some way of suppressing the fact that there's aliens also seems pretty unlikely, but maybe it's true and there is a conspiracy against disclosure that actually worked

What if they are actually showing up, and being seen, and reported, sometimes on a massive scale?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I do like the idea that for all of our decades of tech fetishization, a hyper-advanced species basically being super-bodhisatvas leapfrogs us with their universal love

e:
Also today is a low-effort aitee according to a random reddit so let's all get ready for that:
https://www.reddit.com/r/wecomeinpeace/comments/uvz3gj/we_wont_have_to_wait_too_much_for_this_one/

this link owns, i love speedruns

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

e:

Nothing has happened here so far, so if it's not going to happen on yank scheduling then once again, the future refused to change :smith:

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Interdimensional wars come and go :v:

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

chains of the sea owns btw

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Bilirubin posted:

This is the one I favour the most. Burning rocks us an incel dead end, gigachad cerebellums are how it's done.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

with any luck the birds will see my mirror-polished smooth brain as the perfect canvas and mold it into one worthy of entry into the galactic union

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
based on absolutely nothing, i think UAPs are time travelling humans peeping the past

dont @ me

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Riot Bimbo posted:

What if the bottleneck is intermediary energy sources like hydrocarbons

Like what if you seriously need something like oil to get the ball rolling on anything other than a fairly energy-light existence

Certain planetary conditions might allow for life but make large pools of hydrocarbon-like sources of energy kinda scarce or rare?

Every other source of energy we found was after we realized we could burn the weird rocks and goo for fuel

hydrogen fluoride has hydrogen bonding (thus a 103 deltaC between melting and boiling at STP) and could make a good solvent for life at low temps (issues with what oxidizer it would use aside)

ethane's boiling point is above its melting point so technically you could have a species with its natural gas accessible as a fluid (methane boils at to low a temperature but would be more easily accessible)

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

endocriminologist posted:

none of this would even be a problem if we didn’t think of things as discrete objects rather than all the same poo poo

everything is composed of indistinguishable but discrete (quantized) objects tho

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

Admiral Wilson weighs in on the Wilson Memo:
https://lifeinjonestown.substack.com/p/but-the-gorilla-gets-a-pass?utm_source=%2Fprofile%2F27376895-billy-cox&utm_medium=reader2&s=r

Will Miller weighs in on the Wilson Memo:
https://www.ufojoe.net/will-miller-complete/

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

Armadillo Tank posted:

everything is composed of indistinguishable but discrete (quantized) objects tho

ah poo poo well, nevertheless,

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Beyond the contents the most interesting bit about the Wilson memo is how it apparently surfaced. I forget the exact story but something like, it was sitting in Edgar Mitchell's boxes of UFO files, provided by Hal Puthoff, and then got "leaked" somehow?

Very different from say the MJ-12 docs that got mailed to a UFO researcher. But maybe "leaks" are the modern day equivalent.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
The most advanced civilisations go back to idyllic farming lifestyles, some things I know about them:

- they live in big trees or caves and they've befriended all the animals on their planet.
- their (low) energy needs are met by waterwheels and windmills.
- they have the best food and they get wasted on homebrew every night.
- they explore the universe by looking up at the sky sometimes and occasionally hearing stories from a passing space jellyfish (who they've also befriended)
- they think our technology is dumb and a waste of time (they're right)

basically the peak of civilisation is hobbit culture.

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

my bony fealty posted:

Beyond the contents the most interesting bit about the Wilson memo is how it apparently surfaced. I forget the exact story but something like, it was sitting in Edgar Mitchell's boxes of UFO files, provided by Hal Puthoff, and then got "leaked" somehow?

Very different from say the MJ-12 docs that got mailed to a UFO researcher. But maybe "leaks" are the modern day equivalent.

Yeah, the memo came out of Edgar Mitchell's estate after he died.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Butternubs posted:

The most advanced civilisations go back to idyllic farming lifestyles, some things I know about them:

- they live in big trees or caves and they've befriended all the animals on their planet.
- their (low) energy needs are met by waterwheels and windmills.
- they have the best food and they get wasted on homebrew every night.
- they explore the universe by looking up at the sky sometimes and occasionally hearing stories from a passing space jellyfish (who they've also befriended)
- they think our technology is dumb and a waste of time (they're right)

basically the peak of civilisation is hobbit culture.

Did they give up bidets and anti biotics and contraception along with their other advanced technology? Lee Adama was a dumbass, he died alone from making GBS threads his guts out or being eaten by a mammoth or something along with all his people.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

So is thread opinion that Greer is a grifting grifter who grifts or is there an aspect to the grift that was centered on reality at one time?

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Nnnng I’m Tired of waiting. Radar reveal yourself!

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Tighclops posted:

Did they give up bidets and anti biotics and contraception along with their other advanced technology? Lee Adama was a dumbass, he died alone from making GBS threads his guts out or being eaten by a mammoth or something along with all his people.

thats what the windmills are for

waterwheels are for the bidets

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

blatman posted:

thats what the windmills are for

waterwheels are for the bidets

so you're envisioning like a space family robinson type deal

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Tighclops posted:

Lee Adama was a dumbass

This made me laugh aloud, what a fucken reference

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

watching through xfiles for the first time as an adult and drat these writers did their homework

also fuckin lol cigarette smoking man shot both JFK and MLK

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

just finished that ariel documentary. interesting, worth a look.

was the message given to these kids specifically for them, or for the entire global population?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

toggle posted:

just finished that ariel documentary. interesting, worth a look.

was the message given to these kids specifically for them, or for the entire global population?

It was roughly on a par with telling a homeless guy to get a job before speeding off in your Corvette afaict