Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Playing HK and I just want to say that while you get weirder and wilder companions they feel way less like they have a reason to be your friends, at least at the beginning.
So enjoy the wonderfully immersive relationships here for all they are worth.
Also that game forces a backstory on your character which rubs me the wrong way.

Well the story in HK is more "poo poo is hosed and here are some people you dragged into your whirlpool of fuckupping" so it makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Playing HK and I just want to say that while you get weirder and wilder companions they feel way less like they have a reason to be your friends, at least at the beginning.
Also that game forces a backstory on your character which rubs me the wrong way.

There's a scene in Hong Kong where you get to pick your backstory... only all but one of the options are marked with "lie".

It's a surprisingly frustrating moment for such a small point.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I meant the relationships didn't feel as well written, I totally accept the 'poo poo got hosed' premise.

E^^^ that too.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

There's a scene in Hong Kong where you get to pick your backstory... only all but one of the options are marked with "lie".

It's a surprisingly frustrating moment for such a small point.

Are they? I'm trying to cast my mind back and I thought you get like 3 or 4 options to explain your history to Duncan, all of which are presented as equally valid. The only concrete bit of backstory being that you were adopted by Raymond, but left at some indeterminate time before the game takes place?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

That still felt rather limiting to me, why not let you define your backstory relationships? You can in Dragonfall and it only effects how your character feels to you anyway.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

It gets really jaring when you try to choose some of the social ettiquettes. You really have not to think about it much when selecting "socialite" or "security".

Although i have gotten to like player chars with some predefined social circles and experiences. Those "Hawkes" or "Commander Shepards" can sometimes make better narratives with stronger focused themes and conflicts.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Personally I'm a fan of the bare-bones kind of backstory that HK gives you. It provides just enough pre-determined identity to hang the plot off, without really forcing any substantial characterisation onto you.

OutofSight posted:

It gets really jaring when you try to choose some of the social ettiquettes. You really have not to think about it much when selecting "socialite" or "security".

Although i have gotten to like player chars with some predefined social circles and experiences. Those "Hawkes" or "Commander Shepards" can sometimes make better narratives with stronger focused themes and conflicts.
I think you can square those etiquette choices as being professional interest rather than a core part of the character's identity. If you're making a high charisma character you're presumably making some sort of Face, and it's your job to be a smooth con-artist kinda guy who can make people feel at easy by adopting the shibboleths of their society, to some extent.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

BeardedAni posted:

I basically bought an account just so that I could say how much I'm enjoying your LPs.

Thank you very much, that means a lot.

mecharick
Nov 4, 2009

Crane Fist posted:

My dude let me tell about this thing called Star Citizen

Did it get released in the Shadowrun world? :v

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

communism bitch posted:

Are they? I'm trying to cast my mind back and I thought you get like 3 or 4 options to explain your history to Duncan, all of which are presented as equally valid. The only concrete bit of backstory being that you were adopted by Raymond, but left at some indeterminate time before the game takes place?

It's a bit when talking with your Fixer, if memory serves.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

mecharick posted:

Did it get released in the Shadowrun world? :v

That's what really caused the great crash of 2029.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I dont know posted:

I mean, those idiots were unable to make a patcher that didn't require you to download 40+gb for even minor updates for how many years now?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

I dont know posted:

Anticheese posted:

I mean, those idiots were unable to make a patcher that didn't require you to download 40+gb for even minor updates for how many years now?

I could buy that mutating into the Crash Virus and then developing the ability to kill people using lethal biofeedback that became the basis for Black ICE.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

communism bitch posted:

I think you can square those etiquette choices as being professional interest rather than a core part of the character's identity. If you're making a high charisma character you're presumably making some sort of Face, and it's your job to be a smooth con-artist kinda guy who can make people feel at easy by adopting the shibboleths of their society, to some extent.
That’s how I always interpreted it too. It’s not that you actually become a high class socialite AND a street gang member AND a former corporate security guard simultaneously, you just study up enough on their ways, mannerisms, lingo, common topics of conversation and etc that you can act like you are and bullshit your way through.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Stroth posted:

Nah man, NEROS. New Exciting Retail ProductS. The flashest graphics, the smoothest sound, you have to keep up with the trends man.

I know it's a fictional acronym in a fantasy world. But I want to find whoever made that acronym and stab them.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

communism bitch posted:

When Auntie asks where you got your training, you can feed her various levels of bullshit, or admit that you grew up in the Barrens. Which is already established as part of your backstory, so I'm not sure where the complaints are coming from. And actually your entire backstory is set from the beginning, the different options when talking to Duncan are just you mentioning different parts of it.

Stroth fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 16, 2018

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Yeah, and it would have taken zero effort to add some actual choices.
I'm not angry HBS, just disappointed.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Siegkrow posted:

ME ESL, ME HAVE HARD TIME APPLYING IN/ON.

Bud, have you seen the WoW forums? MMO-C? Our own beloved "wowplayers.txt" thread? That poo poo already happens.

Every game is WoW with lootboxes now.

Crane Fist posted:

My dude let me tell about this thing called Star Citizen

Also the games actually come out. Turns out it's easier to have products launch on time when your publisher can legally execute you.

Sometimes termination really does mean termination.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

paragon1 posted:

Also the games actually come out. Turns out it's easier to have products launch on time when your publisher can legally execute you.

Sometimes termination really does mean termination.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad."
-Shigeru Miyamoto

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

chiasaur11 posted:

-Shigeru Miyamoto

"And a canceled game was a waste of everyone's loving time and money."
- Mark Twain

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

chiasaur11 posted:

-Shigeru Miyamoto

Looks at dnf

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
NERPs are a beautiful catchall term. a garlic juicer. Apex SmartCurtains. Camaxtli Actionwear. My Drone Buddy (And Friends!). the Johnny Gawain Action Playset Last Blood Rerelease Now With Real Exploding Blood Mage Action. All the things wage slaves can buy to try to fill the void, in numberless profusion and marketed to You The Consumer ever more directly by metadata crawlers that cost more in a second than their targets make in a month.

the megacorps have to sell something to make back the money they pay their workers, after all. and so the useless crap proliferates, obsolete by design inside of a year if you're lucky and a week if you're not, all destined for the evergrowing landfill-altars where the toxic nature spirits gather.

Upside: you can get some pretty good poo poo secondhand if you've got a contact with the garbageman!

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Out of curiosity, how far have metahumanity spread out into the solarsystem in the Shadowrun universe? I´ve read the posts regarding the different specstations in orbit around the world but is that all there is?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Sylphosaurus posted:

Out of curiosity, how far have metahumanity spread out into the solarsystem in the Shadowrun universe? I´ve read the posts regarding the different specstations in orbit around the world but is that all there is?

Out to Mars, but only those who lack magical abilities - the manasphere is generated by the biosphere and mages will go crazy or die outside it.

A large collection of Monads recently abandoned their stolen human bodies and launched a deep space exploration ship. The hosts were in varying states of mental damage, but they were alive, and those that were completely overwritten can be brought back by a technomancer willing to search the Resonance for their brain records.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Ze Pollack posted:

NERPs are a beautiful catchall term. a garlic juicer. Apex SmartCurtains. Camaxtli Actionwear. My Drone Buddy (And Friends!). the Johnny Gawain Action Playset Last Blood Rerelease Now With Real Exploding Blood Mage Action. All the things wage slaves can buy to try to fill the void, in numberless profusion and marketed to You The Consumer ever more directly by metadata crawlers that cost more in a second than their targets make in a month.

the megacorps have to sell something to make back the money they pay their workers, after all. and so the useless crap proliferates, obsolete by design inside of a year if you're lucky and a week if you're not, all destined for the evergrowing landfill-altars where the toxic nature spirits gather.

Upside: you can get some pretty good poo poo secondhand if you've got a contact with the garbageman!

but enough about nowadays

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

wiegieman posted:

Out to Mars, but only those who lack magical abilities - the manasphere is generated by the biosphere and mages will go crazy or die outside it.

Trying to use magic outside of the Manasphere does to your soul what trying to breath in a vacuum does to your body. For many of the same metaphysical reasons.

Additionally the Megacorps can't afford to try it since it would cost so much that it would leave them vulnerable to the other corps. And almost everyone else with the kind of money and power necessary is inherently magical, which goes back to the whole "explosive decompression of the soul" thing.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

HardDiskD posted:

but enough about nowadays

Our present dystopia is far too boring wageslave. We need waaaaay more pink mohawk.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

I know it's a fictional acronym in a fantasy world. But I want to find whoever made that acronym and stab them.

Like Ze Pollack mentioned above, they're a catchall term for new consumer stuff the devs don't want to go into detail about. When I first saw them mentioned in a sourcebook years ago, they were just name dropped with no further elaboration, and it took me forever (this thread!) to find out what they actually stood for. I had an inkling that they were some sort of wiz consumer product, but no idea what they actually were.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jun 17, 2018

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

I'm going to pretend it's a nod to GROSS, Get Rid Of Slimy girlS

NothingToFyr
May 22, 2010
It always sounded like some candy/drugs hybrid to me. Now with 15% more THC!

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

NothingToFyr posted:

It always sounded like some candy/drugs hybrid to me. Now with 15% more THC!

Can be. It's fidget spinners and pokemon cards and pogs and ever other over hyped gotta buy them all fad that the world churns out. Also, another creepily prescient idea that shadowrun had.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Only real Shadowrun 1st Edition Publication Decade kids will remember snap bracelets.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

GunnerJ posted:

Only real Shadowrun 1st Edition Publication Decade kids will remember snap bracelets.

My daughter is 6. She has several.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Than she doesn't have to remember them, does she? :smug:

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
What happened to the immortal elves during the downcycle? Thwy go to sleep? Try to blend in?

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

communism bitch posted:

What happened to the immortal elves during the downcycle? Thwy go to sleep? Try to blend in?

Try to blend in apparently. Harlequin has claimed that he met Richard the Lionheart during the Third Crusade and that he lost his ear in a duel with another elf in renaissance era France.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Down cycles are when magic is down, not gone. There are artifacts that will maintain a mana field even in space, blood magic still works just fine, and some of the immortal types have enough personal power to keep doing magic even when the world is at its least magical. They didn't like to, though, because it's difficult and costly.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Stroth posted:

Try to blend in apparently. Harlequin has claimed that he met Richard the Lionheart during the Third Crusade and that he lost his ear in a duel with another elf in renaissance era France.

He did lose an ear (to Ehran the Scribe). He made up for it by defeating Ehran in a modern duel, and taking Ehran's daughter (Jane Foster) as an apprentice.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Did they have to hide their pointy ears somehow? Is the answer magic or did no one comment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Xun posted:

Did they have to hide their pointy ears somehow? Is the answer magic or did no one comment

Magic, shawls, and very poofy hats.