Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I only played enough to unlock Fleet Battles but so far my experience has been topfragging almost every game by a huge margin but still having sub-2 kdr because every time someone gets on my tail I react by pumping engines, smashing boost, and 90-degree drift turning into an asteroid

e: mainly been flying the a-wing with short range blasters and tie fighter with the agility hull and fast boost charge engine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Burst Awing OP

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Chillgamesh posted:

I only played enough to unlock Fleet Battles but so far my experience has been topfragging almost every game by a huge margin but still having sub-2 kdr because every time someone gets on my tail I react by pumping engines, smashing boost, and 90-degree drift turning into an asteroid

e: mainly been flying the a-wing with short range blasters and tie fighter with the agility hull and fast boost charge engine

The interceptors are an absolutely insane speed game. Just going in and out, and then into something solid, like mad.

My first multiplayer game I did something absolutely insane. Learned to drift and stayed alive for nearly two and a half minutes running around through on full power to engines with the throttle forward while hopping in and out of the menu trying to figure out where the settings were to turn off the in-game voice so I didn't get my friends coming through both Discord and the game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Stickman posted:

Special button that's only used for this one maneuver? Naw, that doesn't seem like an important thing to tell the player about. Just turn!

TBF, I did get a pop-up with the instructions after I failed it a few times - I suspect the pop-up trigger is just too easy to miss.

Playing in VR I either didn't get it or notice it and yeah, after about 40 tries I found it on Youtube and found that I was not alone. Lol all they had to do was say hit boost again to kill the engines, but the game lists it as something weird and I spent 15 minutes turning and dialing the throttle down.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Lemming posted:

Also if someone abandons the match and it tells you you can leave without a penalty, this is only half true! If you quit, you won't lose MMR, but if you start a new game it will warn you that you abandoned the match, if you start a new one. This part isn't a lie, so if you start a new game, you will still lose MMR. What da fuk

I take it back, it's not true at all. If you quit because you don't feel like playing out a 5v3 you can't lose, it'll still consider you to have abandoned the game after a while and you lose mmr

This is loving psychotic

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

So, it doesn't seem like a good strategy but there is something quite entertaining about turning tie fighters into suicide bombers by going dual missiles + the exploding engine.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Lemming posted:

I take it back, it's not true at all. If you quit because you don't feel like playing out a 5v3 you can't lose, it'll still consider you to have abandoned the game after a while and you lose mmr

This is loving psychotic

What exactly does the message say? When I was in a game with a leaver it said that losing wouldn't affect your rank, but leaving would.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Well, if you hear someone making horrific noises as a few people have complained about itt, it's probably a safe bet it's a Rift user. After a match earlier, in which I was dead silent the entire time, some one asked me if I could mute myself because the sniffing and coughing noises were so loud. Other than maybe clearing my throat once or twice I was just normal breathing. But I've never used this thing for multiplayer before and did not realize it defaulted to broadcasting every noise my body makes to a deafening level. So yeah, look out for that if you are playing on OR and either gently caress around with the mic levels or mute yourself if you don't want to feel embarrassed lol.

Once I finish the campaign I'm gonna need to get in some goon groups so I can figure out how to make my mic sound normal.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Thirsty Dog posted:

I know this has essentially been explained already but I spent the day googling for fixes to the deadzone problem so my idiot friend could stop whining on IRC when I'm supposed to be working and he actually went and typed it up in an easy-to-follow guide: https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsSquadrons/comments/j3xnr6/tflight_hotas_x_deadzone_solution_win10/

Followed this and I think it's really helped on my x-55, thanks! I've got the majority of the buttons in comfy places now and the game is really coming together nicely.

The twist still drifts left which seems to be common for that and the x-56 but it feels like more of a hardware issue. Deadzone in-game seems to cover most of it.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Warad posted:

After spending the day playing through the campaign I kinda want to say it feels like it honestly does the gameplay a disservice. The way the AI and the missions themselves seem to be set up you're constantly getting a swarm of perfect accuracy fighters behind you with any capital ships around that also seem to have accuracy at 100 just constantly pinging off your shields. Even with engines at full and jinking like a madman you just can't dodge anything and your fingers are permanently glued to the self repair and the button that tells the support ship to send you a care package for some sweet HP. It's like the same exact problem I had with Starfighter Assault on BF2, if anyone started shooting at you there was nothing you could do except pray you survived and slammed whatever repair or damage reduction ability you had. Fortunately it seems for players at least the guns don't track THAT well depending on the type you're using so MP might play a lot better overall (at least I HOPE so.)

Fortunately I didn't get the deadzone issues like some have. I also just use a Logitech 3D so that may very well be the secret. The Campaign was fine overall but was severely lacking the mission diversity that even the scenarios for X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter had, let alone the campaigns for the three main games, but considering the scope of the game, I guess they did as well as they could.

Wedge was still absolutely awesome to have show up though.

"Okay I think I accidentally made stealing a Star Destroyer sound simple." made me sad that Janson didn't just suddenly materialize behind him to hit us with a ultra smartass remark about it.

Yeaaaaah i knew i wasen't alone! The first couple of missions while you are still getting used the controls(with the game not telling you important concepts like shield power and targetting people on your butt till later), you have some capital ships in the background pinging you and many,many perfectly flying AI around makes the first 2 levels pretty difficult even on Veteran that i'm playing on. It decreases a bit on Mission 3 but then skyrockets back up when you switch to Imps and suddenly no shields. Or the mission i'm stuck on now where you're flying the reaper and have to rely on your squadmates to kill everything because you have ion cannons and no self heal :sigh:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

Well, if you hear someone making horrific noises as a few people have complained about itt, it's probably a safe bet it's a Rift user. After a match earlier, in which I was dead silent the entire time, some one asked me if I could mute myself because the sniffing and coughing noises were so loud. Other than maybe clearing my throat once or twice I was just normal breathing. But I've never used this thing for multiplayer before and did not realize it defaulted to broadcasting every noise my body makes to a deafening level. So yeah, look out for that if you are playing on OR and either gently caress around with the mic levels or mute yourself if you don't want to feel embarrassed lol.

Once I finish the campaign I'm gonna need to get in some goon groups so I can figure out how to make my mic sound normal.

Yeah they should really default it to push-to-talk. I can't figure out how to mute just one person and I had a guy who was talking to a whole bunch of people presumably in the room with him and it was super distracting.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Isometric Bacon posted:

I don't know how I feel about these unlock and progression systems. Always feels like there's some optimal configuration that just becomes the norm and makes good people at the game even better at the expense of people starting out.

I had a game where I was just constantly getting smoked by someone in an A-Wing with rapid fire cannons and had a terrible round. Next round I bought those cannons, and finished with 11 kills, zero deaths.
Yeah, it's loving stupid. One round I was on the Rebel team and we were getting owned hard by the Imps. I did notice they all had custom markings on their ships, so I looked more into the customizations and noticed.

I'm not too wild about it.

When there's a dogfight map that involves some actual skill, like the one around that mothership thing, with well defined trenches, openings and tunnels to navigate, allowing to shake enemies, that'll level the field some more. The asteroid field ones however are a bit annoying the same time, altho the basis is the same.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

caldrax posted:

It's a good thing this game is a blast to play because I had to push through an agonizing amount of technical issues to get it going.

yeah the bulk of bad steam reviews seem to be tech issues. i have been lucky so far - one trick for jerky framerates might be turning on vsync, it was a lot smoother for me after that.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

sebmojo posted:

yeah the bulk of bad steam reviews seem to be tech issues. i have been lucky so far - one trick for jerky framerates might be turning on vsync, it was a lot smoother for me after that.

Yep vsync def helped a ton for stable frame rates in 2d and vr.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Jabor posted:

What exactly does the message say? When I was in a game with a leaver it said that losing wouldn't affect your rank, but leaving would.

This is what it says (sometimes) if the game starts as a 5v4 or whatever:

The first one pops up on the top right as you're playing, and the second is in the menu/map screen. It is not safe to leave! Do not believe it!!!!!!!!

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
How do I play with Goons on my side online?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Eej posted:

VR players got to have an advantage in a TIE because they can lean over the center console and track targets that dive below you right
You can see through the top of the canopy in the Rebel fighters. That's more of an advantage, IMO, especially when negotiating tight turns around asteroids or space station features, or chasing enemies in tight turns.

--edit:

iz gud fight

(None of that autoaim upgrade poo poo.)

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Oct 3, 2020

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Comstar posted:

How do I play with Goons on my side online?

Cross-play is enabled by default due to no real advantage on any one platform over the others. Jump into one of the discords linked throughout this thread (we had a 5-stack going in the Marvelous Pro Elite Gaming Society one for like, three hours tonight) and come shjote ships with us

Mide
Jun 2, 2009

axeil posted:

Yeah they should really default it to push-to-talk. I can't figure out how to mute just one person and I had a guy who was talking to a whole bunch of people presumably in the room with him and it was super distracting.

Go to your scoreboard and click on the person who you want to mute. You will get a drop down menu with the first being mute player.

I think PTT will be a bit tough for those using VR, I had to raise the VOX threshold to about half the bar to ensure people won’t hear me exhaling sharply while pushing high G turns. Also the default chat level is crazy loud for everyone it seems.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
So playing a bit more it seems like the main role that Fighters have is to be able to tangle with any other ship in the game while being able to carry Proton or Ion torps to assist on objectives without having to commit to a full on bombing run. It's entirely possible to end up with highest kills and highest capital ship damage in a game. You just gotta work for it cause you don't get the insane Interceptor close range lasers or the free SLAM engine that Bombers get.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
I somehow late joined a match like 30 seconds before it ended and ended up with it recording a loss for me.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle
Thanks for the deadzone workaround tips in this thread, such a relief now I can actually aim at stuff.

We had a squad of 5 goons up in the Elite: Dangerous discord last night and teamwork is confirmed as OP. Being able to dogpile a single target and peel for teammates was great. It was close to bullying by the end.

Flying regular TIEs with the +100% boost charge engine, sitting at full engine power and just using the shunt to overcharge lasers is great early on cause it's a bit less workload. I've barely touched the rebel ships but the A-wing was amazing in VR.

Vomitorium
Oct 2, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
dudes..

https://attackofthefanboy.com/guides/star-wars-squadrons-vr-how-to-enable-and-known-issues/

not that's super reputable but they're saying:

There are issues however, and you should be aware of them before jumping into Star Wars: Squadrons hoping for a flawless VR experience. First and foremost are the issues with Oculus headsets. If you want to use the Oculus Quest we have a guide here, but regardless of what Oculus headset you own you will have issues with the game if you bought it on Steam. The Steam version of Star Wars: Squadrons does not support the Oculus SDK, and naturally runs through SteamVR. This has led to crashes, stutters, and poor performance. In general, Oculus headsets seem to crash if the game is not set to Borderless, no matter which version you own.

Non-Oculus VR headsets are also having issues. The game locks at either 60hz or 30hz, depending on your headset, even though the game itself is running at 144 FPS. This has caused wide-spread performance issues, and players have found that if they locked their headset to 120hz, then cap the game at 60 FPS they had more consistent performance. It’s not ideal, but it beats motion sickness inducing delay and stutter. Of course, be sure to check your SteamVR supersampling: the higher it is the more of a performance cost you’ll endure, so it may be best to stick to 100%.

So yeah, glad I did refund on Steam. If you have Oculus hardware like me..

Also someone said before to turn on VSync and I can report that made VR a lot less choppy for some retarded reason. Thanks for that tip!

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Is there a way to check your ping?

I swear last night I was doing really well, and tonight I can barely actually land a kill.

I'm certainly hitting the enemy enough. I'm constantly doing passes on then strafing them with my lasers but they seem to be completely tanking any damage.

:Edit: something is definitely up. Watching the insta replays and the enemies aren't taking any damage at all. It's like I'm not even hitting them.

Isometric Bacon fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Oct 3, 2020

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

i dont suppose one of you jedi masters has some advanced strategy for targeting your wingmans target or general targeting strategies for group play

also dont suppose theres a way i can macro targeting the actual person i queued with?

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

You can tell the developers put a lot of love into this game, but it's still amazing how bad the dialogue is between missions. I guess that's Star Wars for ya

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I'm running my Index at 120hz, so I should just cap the game to 60hz in the NVidia control panel? Or force enable motion interpolation, which ought to drop the rendering rate of the game to 60hz, anyway?

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Has anyone tried playing this with a yoke yet?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

QuasiQuack posted:

Has anyone tried playing this with a yoke yet?

no bc im not a filthy TIE pilot

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

steering wheel or gtfo

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Bubbacub posted:

steering wheel or gtfo

*whispers* ok its cool that you like Y-Wings but maybe let me handle the trash talking

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Warad posted:

After spending the day playing through the campaign I kinda want to say it feels like it honestly does the gameplay a disservice. The way the AI and the missions themselves seem to be set up you're constantly getting a swarm of perfect accuracy fighters behind you with any capital ships around that also seem to have accuracy at 100 just constantly pinging off your shields. Even with engines at full and jinking like a madman you just can't dodge anything and your fingers are permanently glued to the self repair and the button that tells the support ship to send you a care package for some sweet HP. It's like the same exact problem I had with Starfighter Assault on BF2, if anyone started shooting at you there was nothing you could do except pray you survived and slammed whatever repair or damage reduction ability you had. Fortunately it seems for players at least the guns don't track THAT well depending on the type you're using so MP might play a lot better overall (at least I HOPE so.)

Dessel posted:

I've been slowly going through the singleplayer campaign on Ace and I think the game's UI is really bad at handling several attacking craft at the same time. It's really hard to figure out who's blasting you right at one moment, even with the target the attacker binding. I don't think there's a target closest enemy function either? I've played through FreeSpace 2 and some of its fan campaigns on hardest difficulties and I can call myself an X-Wing veteran and it felt in FreeSpace 2 I could make sense what I did wrong in missions and why my approach was wrong. Here it feels more like trial and error. That being said I hear the first few rebel missions are brutal and swarmed with TIEs. Lack of TrackIR or cheapo alternative hurts, too. Can't even hack it together since they disable craft piloting while freelooking. I still like the game but at this pace I will probably never play the MP because I'm a stubborn idiot who wants to finish the campaign on the hardest difficulty.
Yes! I'm really relieved I'm not the only one who feels like this. Although frankly I'd prefer it if the flight and combat mechanics were just closer to the old games in general (i.e. less acceleration and no SLAM-esque boosts, higher manoeuvrability, no bullet magnetism and the ability to link your lasers), it's all exacerbated in SP by the mission design and AI routines. The problem I have in just about every mission I've played so far is that I never really feel like I'm ever really in control of the action, the way I've felt in basically every other space combat sim - not just the X-Wing series - I've played over the years.

It also suddenly struck me that squadrons aren't actually named anymore, so instead of seeing "TIE Alpha X" or "X-W Red Y" on your target display it's just the fighter type, and combined with the inability to cycle targets forwards or backwards that makes it even harder to keep track of what's going on.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Statutory Ape posted:

*whispers* ok its cool that you like Y-Wings but maybe let me handle the trash talking

lmao

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Statutory Ape posted:

i dont suppose one of you jedi masters has some advanced strategy for targeting your wingmans target or general targeting strategies for group play

also dont suppose theres a way i can macro targeting the actual person i queued with?

You can select your target's target

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Also as much as yeah i have a problem with all the boosting around and really heavily scripted campaign missions and being unable to link/unlink lasers on the fly, I think for an EA game we are lucky its as good as it is and not some horrible arcade shooter.

It can only get better with patches and fan modding, I hope.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Spookydonut posted:

You can select your target's target

yeah, i guess im gonna have to get used to 'tabbing' to my wingman and enjoying the 2-4 button presses to accomplish an assist

if they ping a thing and i hit acknowledge does it auto-target per chance?

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Statutory Ape posted:

yeah, i guess im gonna have to get used to 'tabbing' to my wingman and enjoying the 2-4 button presses to accomplish an assist

if they ping a thing and i hit acknowledge does it auto-target per chance?

looks like no.

You can bind a key to cycle through your own squadron and another key to target your target's attacker but no key for targetting your target's target, that was a mouthful

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Statutory Ape posted:

:drat:

Spookydonut posted:

Also as much as yeah i have a problem with all the boosting around and really heavily scripted campaign missions and being unable to link/unlink lasers on the fly, I think for an EA game we are lucky its as good as it is and not some horrible arcade shooter.

It can only get better with patches and fan modding, I hope.

I get why they don't make games like TIE Fighter anymore, but I really miss the older style of mission pacing and being able to tell wtf is going on.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
How the hell is VR support different for the store you bought it on? Is this a common thing? Am I going to be hosed when I get the HP Reverb 2 later and I bought it on Steam instead of the HP store?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomitorium
Oct 2, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

uXs posted:

How the hell is VR support different for the store you bought it on? Is this a common thing? Am I going to be hosed when I get the HP Reverb 2 later and I bought it on Steam instead of the HP store?

No idea bout the Reverb but its all bullshit if you ask me and also why we cant have nice things