Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

PCOS Bill posted:

I have no use for a tailgating truck with its own speaker panels in the bed but that's cool as hell.

I saw a YouTube and it's really hollow sound. It would be ok for hearing an announcer but any music played through it would sound like junk. Pretty sure I would just open the two front doors and blast it out of the door speakers with proper bass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
As long as it sounded better than portable Bluetooth speakers that would be an incredibly useful feature for tailgating. Especially if they were waterproof

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Portable Bluetooth speakers have actually come a long way... My Logitech UE Boom kicks rear end, though you gotta get em on sale.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Bose gets hated on by my buddy got their portable BT speaker and when he had music playing through it I thought it was coming out of the studio monitors he had it sitting on top of.

So much bass out of a tiny box.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Laserface posted:

So much fake bass out of a tiny box.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

What we need is a tonneau cover with a bunch of woofers mounted in it, to turn the whole bed into a giant bass box.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Just go full retard.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I can't hate on that.

KozmoNaut posted:

So much fake bass out of a tiny box.

In what way do you mean, specifically?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Bose tends to rely on psycho-acoustics in their kit, so rather than the actual equipment being up to the task of reproducing fundamental frequencies they use the harmonics of the frequencies so it 'sounds' like bass when it's not actually producing much of it.

I went on a large PA set up training course recently and the Bose guys there were claiming all sorts of poo poo that's not true like their brand new, technologically impossible to make until this year, line array-able point source speakers which I've had versions of sat in my garage for years. They claim a lot of poo poo that's outright lies and are one of many reasons why I loving hate the audio industry.

Anyway, fundamentals >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> harmonics, if you're somewhat of a purist. It's kinda like those things they put in cars to rattle the windscreen to pretend like it's got a bigger meatier engine.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Oh, I know Bose is full of poo poo. I was just curious about exactly what he meant. Thanks.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I know Bose marketing is full of poo poo and they're probably overpriced but I like the sound so :shrug:

Their aviation headsets are bad rear end, though.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The Jeep Compass can be optioned with a tailgate speaker thing that looks like this.

You are now subscribed to Jeep Compass facts.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Throatwarbler posted:

The Jeep Compass can be optioned with a tailgate speaker thing that looks like this.

You are now subscribed to Jeep Compass facts.

Wasn't one of the key selling points a heated and/or chilled cupholder?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

As Nero Danced posted:

I don't remember it being a "key" selling feature but yeah Chrysler was one of the first companies to put those out and now most other makers have the same thing. It varied, on most cars it was just a vent that goes to the glovebox where there was a space to hold a water bottle, on some cars it went to the cupholder too. Just AC, I don't think any of them did heat, at least not at the beginning.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

As Nero Danced posted:

My parents had a Dodge Caliber at one point. That was an awful car, but my Dr Pepper stayed ~15° below ambient!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

MrYenko posted:

My parents had a Dodge Caliber at one point. That was an awful car, but my Dr Pepper stayed ~15° below ambient!

It makes waiting for the tow truck more pleasant.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

As Nero Danced posted:

My Kia has an air conditioning vent in the glovebox that I've never once opened. Is this a feature people use? When I want to keep a drink cool I put one of those $2 refreezable plastic things in an REI lunchbag someone got me and it's great without getting soda can condensation dripping all over my registration and car manual.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I'm not going to lie - I like the Bose 901 speakers.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I think it was Ford that just went ahead and put a whole mini-fridge in the Flex. I don't remember if it was phase change or peltier based though

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

davebo posted:

My Kia has an air conditioning vent in the glovebox that I've never once opened. Is this a feature people use? When I want to keep a drink cool I put one of those $2 refreezable plastic things in an REI lunchbag someone got me and it's great without getting soda can condensation dripping all over my registration and car manual.

The one in the Journey was a separate compartment at the top of the dash on the passenger side just for drinks, you got another glovebox on the underside for your docs.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Saabs had cooled gloveboxes, sort of

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Goober Peas posted:

I'm not going to lie - I like the Bose 901 speakers.

My dad's got a pair of the Series IIs from like 1972 and they still sound great.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

S13 Nissan Silvia offered a fridge in the glovebox as an option which was super rare. It fits 2x330ml cans so it's pointlessly small but pretty sweet.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
How dumb would it be to get a Jeep Grand Cherokee AWD with a Hemi V8? I only live a few blocks from a huge "automall" where it could go back for weekly repair visits.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Keyser S0ze posted:

How dumb would it be to get a Jeep Grand Cherokee AWD with a Hemi V8? I only live a few blocks from a huge "automall" where it could go back for weekly repair visits.

Unless it's massively better than the Durango I'd rather punch myself in the dick with a Nokia.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Would only be worthwhile if you get the SRT8. Otherwise a Toyota would get the job done and also need no repairs until the heat death of the universe.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
You guys are no fun. I figure the Hemi would be more fun in a 5,000 lb SUV although reviews of the new V6 seem like they are much much better than previous versions.

I haven't had my rear end handed to me by a car since my 1990's Jeeps (even when those were new).

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Keyser S0ze posted:

I have 18k miles in my JGC while redlining multiple times and day and blasting down terrible access roads without a single rattle or maintenance besides oil changes at 6k. Almost any car these days is much more reliable than people expect.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Did you guys know the 1 ton Suburban is back? Fleet only tho

http://www.gmfleet.com/chevrolet/suburban-hd-heavy-duty-suv.html

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Throatwarbler posted:

Feel like I see these everywhere in DC, but I may be confusing it with one of the many similar trucks. All in black, naturally.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

fyodor posted:

Dirty sensor? What do you think it is? A camera? A tape recorder? Isn't it like sonar and radar and predator heat vision simultaneously?

On the Subarus it's two cameras that get confused in the snow or if the windshield gets cracked or dirty. I recently rode in a coworkers base model Mercedes that punted a shopping cart and now ironically shrieks the parking alarm every time the speed drops below 30 unless the alarm is disabled on each startup.

It still feels like early tech to me. Doing an ad where a lady narrowly avoids culpability for vehicular homicide is premature and only encourages distracted driving by normalizing it.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Throatwarbler posted:

Aren't those mostly meant for armored car conversions and stuff

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Mange Mite posted:

Aren't those mostly meant for armored car conversions and stuff

By the fact it refers to up-armoring every other word I would say yes.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm curious if it is meant for up armoring why they don't use the diesel engine. If you're in a truck that's going to get shot at you would think diesel would be a better thing to have than gas, also after up armouring the 26 gal or whatever they have for the gas engine is going to give the truck a range of like 120 miles.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Has anyone posted about the fiat 124? Lots of reviews for it are pouring out. The regular version is an interesting car, $25k (probably $24k invoice) for a car that you can easily chip to 200whp/200ftlb tq because its the same 1.4l turbo as the 500 abarth engine. I think it looks really nice in certain colors too, doesnt suffer from the miatas weird tiny rear-end and microscopic headlights in the front. Surprisingly most reviewers also prefer it handling wise over the miata, better steering, and less body roll. Its less comfortable but not sure i would care. Kind of a total game changer, theres now a $25,000 italian roadster made in a japanese factory that weighs 2500lbs and you can easily get 200hp out of it :psyboom:

You can also spend $3,000 ($28,195) more for the abarth version which comes with upgraded crazy boy racer interior, typical brap brap abarth exhaust, bilstein shocks and better sway bars, but for some stupid reason it only comes with 5 more hp, so you would definitely have to chip it. The looks are a little much with the black hood, but id have to see it in person to determine if i'd feel like a tool driving it around.

I think the most subtle version is gray with the hood that jalopnik drove
http://jalopnik.com/the-2017-fiat-124-spider-really-is-better-than-the-miat-1781392740

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GglRPaz0Yo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFw29Fy78aY

I feel like in a couple of years buying one of these used is going to be by far the best bang for your buck, hats off to fiat for this interesting frankenstein car

Oh yeah ford also announced the AWD fusion sport with V6 ecoboost twin turbo making 325hp and 380ft/lb of torque for $34,350... which im sure you could also chip it and make a shitload of power.

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jun 11, 2016

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

coolskillrex remix posted:

Oh yeah ford also announced the AWD fusion sport with V6 ecoboost twin turbo making 325hp and 380ft/lb of torque for $34,350... which im sure you could also chip it and make a shitload of power.

Livernois is advertising +100hp and +115tq at the wheels for a tune on the Edge Sport (claimed 225/254 hp/tq at the wheels stock)

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I wonder what the suspensions tweaks involved? They have to have done that, right?

edit: looks like magnetic ride adjustment with different damping options.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jun 12, 2016

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayOhO3D_90Y

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Holy poo poo :lol:

:perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
I didn't know it was an actual Honda vid so I was fully expecting the rear window to get shattered somehow.