Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

I think you gotta narrow down how important off-road performance is to you. The "well I might not want to use it off road" thing is just too vague. If you're at worst going to be driving on some lousy limited-improvement dirt roads the CX-50 is fine assuming the ground clearance will work - and the ground clearance is 8.3" so that's not nothing. If you're taking it up to a camp up a completely unimproved logging road or something you gotta get way more serious.

I don't think the Subaru wilderness dirty kid cosplay edition outback is all that more capable vs a normal Outback. It gets less good fuel economy because it's re-geared and less aerodynamic. In return you get about an inch of ground clearance, better tires for off-road, and some supposedly tricky electronic stuff to prevent you from getting stuck. There are very few things that car can do that a normal Outback couldn't do, especially if you put that normal Outback on similar tires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the Kia Soul is probably an ideal car for your use case if you get the chance to see how ingress/egress is for you. It's kind of tall, it's kind of small, it's cheap, and it's reliable. Other than the small issue that they are very easy to steal I think it's one of the better possible options. You could also look at Scion xDs as an alternative little box thing.

the old Venza sucked tremendously, one of the worst products Toyota has brought to market. The new one is pretty good in that it's just kind of a swoopy RAV-4 with a nicer interior.

Huh, I'll be damned. I sorta assumed they were like a PT Cruiser with how many are constantly around. But I have no qualms about driving a weird looking car. But I like in the rear end end of Portland, Oregon, in what's considered one of the highest crime places in the city. I'll have to read about the "easy to steal" factor.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Captain Log posted:

Huh, I'll be damned. I sorta assumed they were like a PT Cruiser with how many are constantly around. But I have no qualms about driving a weird looking car. But I like in the rear end end of Portland, Oregon, in what's considered one of the highest crime places in the city. I'll have to read about the "easy to steal" factor.

It’s definitely a thing: https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/22/business/hldi-hyundai-kia-theft/index.html

I’d do more fact checking on what’s what, but that seems to lay out the situation without too much hyperbole.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I think you gotta narrow down how important off-road performance is to you. The "well I might not want to use it off road" thing is just too vague. If you're at worst going to be driving on some lousy limited-improvement dirt roads the CX-50 is fine assuming the ground clearance will work - and the ground clearance is 8.3" so that's not nothing. If you're taking it up to a camp up a completely unimproved logging road or something you gotta get way more serious.

I don't think the Subaru wilderness dirty kid cosplay edition outback is all that more capable vs a normal Outback. It gets less good fuel economy because it's re-geared and less aerodynamic. In return you get about an inch of ground clearance, better tires for off-road, and some supposedly tricky electronic stuff to prevent you from getting stuck. There are very few things that car can do that a normal Outback couldn't do, especially if you put that normal Outback on similar tires.

Thanks for the info on those two models and the wilderness thing especially. Things are a bit in flux with regards to how much I would actually need the off Road capability, and in talking to my mechanic I think I’ll stick with my xterra for now and look again in a year or two when I should have a better idea of my needs. My main problem with the xterra is not quite trusting it on longer trips, and as my mechanic said you can rent a lot of car for the price of a new car.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Thanks for the info on those two models and the wilderness thing especially. Things are a bit in flux with regards to how much I would actually need the off Road capability, and in talking to my mechanic I think I’ll stick with my xterra for now and look again in a year or two when I should have a better idea of my needs. My main problem with the xterra is not quite trusting it on longer trips, and as my mechanic said you can rent a lot of car for the price of a new car.

Definitely true, especially if those long trips are only a couple times per year.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Captain Log posted:

I think a lot of the Kia Souls you see are rental fleet cars. Not to say they're super duper awesome, but don't take the quantity available in a negative connotation.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Captain Log posted:

They get relatively poor fuel economy, especially on the highway. There's a reason most other car companies don't make cars shaped like bricks.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Explosionface posted:

I think a lot of the Kia Souls you see are rental fleet cars. Not to say they're super duper awesome, but don't take the quantity available in a negative connotation.

I also live in a high crime area of Portland and can confirm that souls are absolutely everywhere. I think they are kind of cute though, I’ve thought about one as an option for a second car but the high theft issue is definitely giving me pause.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

nitsuga posted:

It’s definitely a thing: https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/22/business/hldi-hyundai-kia-theft/index.html

I’d do more fact checking on what’s what, but that seems to lay out the situation without too much hyperbole.

gently caress me, that sounds like a definite Thing.

remigious posted:

I also live in a high crime area of Portland and can confirm that souls are absolutely everywhere. I think they are kind of cute though, I’ve thought about one as an option for a second car but the high theft issue is definitely giving me pause.

Are you a Centennial Neighborhood buddy like myself?

Throatwarbler posted:

They get relatively poor fuel economy, especially on the highway. There's a reason most other car companies don't make cars shaped like bricks.

While I put a laughably low number of miles on my car per year, I take the interstate to get anywhere. I always thought that shape has to have some kind of negative effect. I lived in Kansas for a long time, where the wind could physically shove your car into another lane on a bad day.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Captain Log posted:

Just a few blocks outside of that area, yep :) Howdy neighbor!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Is car leasing really as bad as describe in the OP?

I'm filling out the template in the OP even though it's not really applicable to what I want to know -

Proposed Budget: Under 30k (though with some flexibility)
New or Used: New
Body Style: 4 door
How will you be using the car? Commuting in Los Angeles
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? Don't really care.
What aspects are most important to you? Don't really care.

For the actual content and my questions:

My wife and I live in Los Angeles. Currently, the only car we have is my 2009 Hyundai. I bought it new in 2009. I got pre-approved through my bank (USAA) and used their car-buying service to pick out the car I wanted (which, turns out, they recently discontinued this service). At this point the car has about 210k miles on it (I had multiple cross-country moves and long distance travel over the last 10 years). We have been a single-car household for the last decade because we've lived places where we could rely on public transit and, more recently, she was in a work-from-home position.

She'll be starting a new job at the end of the next month and will need a new car. (I'll be replacing my car much later this year, but I figure I'll cross that bridge when we come to it.)

Currently, she has her eyes on a Toyota hybrid.

I've always been someone who purchased cars. All of my cars prior to my current car were used though my 2009 Hyundai was bought new.

I understand leasing in general terms. It's like renting a house vs buying a house. It seems like a lot of people are against it, but we aren't looking to commit to keeping this new car for an extended time. We like the idea of being able to swap it out in about 3 years.

What I don't understand about leasing is - who manages that? Would it be my bank (USAA)? The dealership? The manufacturer?

Leasing seems like it offers far more flexibility. I don't want to be locked in to a 60+ month car loan. We'll want to swap the car before that.

I would love any guidance y'all could provide me with. All of this is incredibly overwhelming and gives me a headache.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Mordiceius posted:

Is car leasing really as bad as describe in the OP?

I'm filling out the template in the OP even though it's not really applicable to what I want to know -

Proposed Budget: Under 30k (though with some flexibility)
New or Used: New
Body Style: 4 door
How will you be using the car? Commuting in Los Angeles
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? Don't really care.
What aspects are most important to you? Don't really care.

For the actual content and my questions:

My wife and I live in Los Angeles. Currently, the only car we have is my 2009 Hyundai. I bought it new in 2009. I got pre-approved through my bank (USAA) and used their car-buying service to pick out the car I wanted (which, turns out, they recently discontinued this service). At this point the car has about 210k miles on it (I had multiple cross-country moves and long distance travel over the last 10 years). We have been a single-car household for the last decade because we've lived places where we could rely on public transit and, more recently, she was in a work-from-home position.

She'll be starting a new job at the end of the next month and will need a new car. (I'll be replacing my car much later this year, but I figure I'll cross that bridge when we come to it.)

Currently, she has her eyes on a Toyota hybrid.

I've always been someone who purchased cars. All of my cars prior to my current car were used though my 2009 Hyundai was bought new.

I understand leasing in general terms. It's like renting a house vs buying a house. It seems like a lot of people are against it, but we aren't looking to commit to keeping this new car for an extended time. We like the idea of being able to swap it out in about 3 years.

What I don't understand about leasing is - who manages that? Would it be my bank (USAA)? The dealership? The manufacturer?

Leasing seems like it offers far more flexibility. I don't want to be locked in to a 60+ month car loan. We'll want to swap the car before that.

I would love any guidance y'all could provide me with. All of this is incredibly overwhelming and gives me a headache.

The manufacturer handles leases. Financing is achieved through their financing arm. You can usually return a lease to any dealer although there may be a fee.

We usually do better with focused questions here but I will defer to other posters. Maybe do some googling on leasing pros / cons and see if you think it fits your situation, and we can fill in gaps?

Unless you want to spend substantially more money to use an economy car for 3 years vs. buying it and then selling after the same timeframe, I don’t see why you would lease (outside extremely specific situations where leasing is advantageous). You can sell a car with a note on it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Inner Light posted:

The manufacturer handles leases. Financing is achieved through their financing arm. You can usually return a lease to any dealer although there may be a fee.

We usually do better with focused questions here but I will defer to other posters. Maybe do some googling on leasing pros / cons and see if you think it fits your situation, and we can fill in gaps?

Unless you want to spend substantially more money to use an economy car for 3 years vs. buying it and then selling after the same timeframe, I don’t see why you would lease (outside extremely specific situations where leasing is advantageous). You can sell a car with a note on it.

Understandable. Thank you for the information.

Cross posting from another thread -

To be a little more detailed on our situation - back when I bought my old 2009 Hyundai, it was before I had met my wife and I was single and in the military. For the last 10 years, we had both been going through grad school as well as the first steps of our careers. With her new job (as well as a new job I started recently), our yearly combined income is going to go from roughly 70k a year to close to 200k a year.

She had brought up leasing as an idea initially and I wanted to investigate to learn more. Her thought was to get a "cheaper" model currently (hence why she's looking at the Toyota Corolla) and then replace it a few years down the line when we've really settled in to our careers.

Neither of us had ever done anything with leasing. She'd only ever had used cars in the past and I'd only purchased a car once and I did not have the financial means to ever consider swapping cars on a regular basis, so I was buying for the long term.

It seems like, based on initial reactions, even if we do want to swap cars in the future, going with a car loan is the better option. Plus, USAA tends to have really great rates with car loans too.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Leasing is at least very annoying comparatively unless you enjoy the game of doing reverse car buying algebra to find out your interest rates based on your money down, payment, estimated buyback etc.

You can ride some market waves in strange and financial ways like a few of the posters here who made out like absolute bandits buying their car and selling it back to the dealer in the same paperwork during the car shortage.

Mileage can make or break your total cost, both over and underestimating, so know what you need. You will need to follow the manufacturer maintenance plan to a T on your own dollar (but that's true of a car you own). You will need the good insurance (but that's true of a car you own except sometimes).

Most people like my mom trade their car in for some razzle dazzle lease because a trade in is an ungodly money down on most leases. Then they don't have the money for the next down payment and their buyback terms came out neutral. Leasing isn't less financial brainpower, it's as much or more. If you can manage the ifs ands and buts and get a kick out of reverse car buying algebra there are good lease deals. If your car is an appliance you're forced to buy to not die, a loan tends to keep you out of trouble better.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Mordiceius posted:

Understandable. Thank you for the information.

Cross posting from another thread -

To be a little more detailed on our situation - back when I bought my old 2009 Hyundai, it was before I had met my wife and I was single and in the military. For the last 10 years, we had both been going through grad school as well as the first steps of our careers. With her new job (as well as a new job I started recently), our yearly combined income is going to go from roughly 70k a year to close to 200k a year.

She had brought up leasing as an idea initially and I wanted to investigate to learn more. Her thought was to get a "cheaper" model currently (hence why she's looking at the Toyota Corolla) and then replace it a few years down the line when we've really settled in to our careers.

Neither of us had ever done anything with leasing. She'd only ever had used cars in the past and I'd only purchased a car once and I did not have the financial means to ever consider swapping cars on a regular basis, so I was buying for the long term.

It seems like, based on initial reactions, even if we do want to swap cars in the future, going with a car loan is the better option. Plus, USAA tends to have really great rates with car loans too.

Also this gets more into lifestyle, but here’s my take on it. 3 years is a long time man. We’re only alive for like 70 good years give or take. If you can comfortably afford AND WANT a nicer vehicle than a compact Hyundai or a Corolla, and you’re gonna be in it for 3 years, it’s worth considering. You seem to drive a lot, too.

Gotta weigh if the financial savings in 3 years before swapping to something nicer is worth it to you.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

My advice is to buy something like the Corolla you’re talking about. It holds its value well, good total cost of ownership and get settled into your commute and new income level (congrats btw) and reevaluate in a year or two. You most likely won’t take a loss on the Corolla

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Inner Light posted:

Also this gets more into lifestyle, but here’s my take on it. 3 years is a long time man. We’re only alive for like 70 good years give or take. If you can comfortably afford AND WANT a nicer vehicle than a compact Hyundai or a Corolla, and you’re gonna be in it for 3 years, it’s worth considering. You seem to drive a lot, too.

Gotta weigh if the financial savings in 3 years before swapping to something nicer is worth it to you.

skipdogg posted:

My advice is to buy something like the Corolla you’re talking about. It holds its value well, good total cost of ownership and get settled into your commute and new income level (congrats btw) and reevaluate in a year or two. You most likely won’t take a loss on the Corolla

Yeah. I think, in the end, I've been making a much bigger deal out of this than it is. If we're going with a new Corolla, it's only a $25k car. It's not like we're trying to buy something that's $80k.

I used to drive a lot more than I do now. The last 10 years has seen me moving every two years or so for work and school and my wife and I have finally reached a point where we're preparing to settle into careers for the long term and I expect my yearly driving to be dramatically less than it used to be. I used to have a 1-2 hour commute each way daily. Nowadays, it's about 30 minutes each way. I also used to end up driving for cross country trips instead of flying - another thing I don't see myself doing going forward.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
If you really want to know about leases, go to the Leasehackr forums. I tried, and gave up, because the math was super confusing to me and I had no idea if I was actually getting a good deal or not. I personally like buying my cars outright. Having to give it back to a dealer and potentially get hit on fees was already a headache in and of itself.

FWIW I did fine in math at school, love BFC related discussions, have zero issues understanding how re-financing houses works, but couldn't give a rat's rear end about trying to figure out lease equity.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I leased my last two daily cars (Kia Stinger and BMW M4), and it can work out fine if you know how to compare it to a regular purchase. The problem is that manufacturers do everything possible to make it hard to compare the two and you have to do a bunch of research to know if you're getting hosed. We generally avoid recommending leases here just because it's easy to get a really bad deal. But if you're willing to put in the effort to learn, the most important things to research are how your state handles taxes on leases (this is a bigger deal than it sounds), and how to translate between Money Factor and APR. Leasehackr is a great forum for doing research and seeing what deals are out there, as was mentioned.

All that aside, here's the crutch of the issue: A lease is effectively an options contract. You are paying a premium (higher interest rate, return fees) to have the option to buy the car later at a guaranteed price or force the dealer to take it back. It's a hedge against the car depreciating more than expected. If the dealer thinks the car is going to be worth 65% in 3 years and it's really worth 50%, the dealer is stuck with it and you get to walk away. If it's really worth 75%, you're going to keep it (or sell it to someone else) and you effectively paid extra to buy it. That's it.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 28, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

KillHour posted:

I leased my daily BMW M4

:barf:

At least you're not stuck with that since it's a lease

Funny story, (true story) we were leaving our hotel last month and a car rolls up (was looking for a kia), my wife, "is that our uber?" *motions to maroon M4*

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Hadlock posted:

:barf:

At least you're not stuck with that since it's a lease

We were leaving our hotel last month and a car rolls up (was looking for a kia), my wife, "is that our uber?" *motions to maroon M4*

I'm sitting here wondering if I should just buy it out because there's nothing else coming out that I want more as a daily. It's easily the best car I've ever owned.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'd suggest a 7 series but apparently those are too big to street park

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Hadlock posted:

I'd suggest a 7 series but apparently those are too big to street park

I don't think a 7 series is going to suit my use case.

https://www.windshadowstudios.net/M...ges/i-jZzXJwp/A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc2A8DH4-8s

My car gets immunity from internet comments without proof of a faster lap time.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

(Walter White talking to Jesse Pinkman at Dennys meme)

Hadlock what the gently caress are you talking about

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

"Point on this doll where the M4 touched you"

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

KillHour posted:

how your state handles taxes on leases (this is a bigger deal than it sounds),

Yep, this is the main reason I will never lease anything unless I move. My state charges sales tax on the full price of the car, not the lease value. That combined with the annual personal property tax on cars, again calculated off the full value of the car. I did the math on some really nice lease deals on leasehackr a few years ago, and the value of the deal was totally destroyed by the taxes.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

MyronMulch posted:

"Point on this doll where the M4 touched you"

Let's start with the name

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Captain Log posted:

gently caress me, that sounds like a definite Thing.

While I put a laughably low number of miles on my car per year, I take the interstate to get anywhere. I always thought that shape has to have some kind of negative effect. I lived in Kansas for a long time, where the wind could physically shove your car into another lane on a bad day.

The theft wave is being driven by a TikTok trend for teenagers. Meaning in other words the perception and rumor that they're targeted by thieves by itself makes them more likely to be targeted by thieves since its teens instead of 20/30-something pros.

Of course they are actually very easy to steal once you jimmy the door lock.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Let's start with the name

If it still bothers you that BMW didn't stick with "M3 Coupe" then I don't really know what to tell you except change happens.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Test drove the CX-5 today. Interior was amazing as expected, drive was fine, but had a lot of cabin noise. It didn't help that we test drove a RAV-4 hybrid earlier.

I'd love to buy a RAV-4, but the markups are crazy and I think I'm just gonna keep this rental I have for another month to see how they deal with the economy situation.

I added the Venza to my list (because they are all hybrid and AWD, and the interior looks just as good as the CX-5), but nobody has those around to test drive, even at a markup.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bank posted:

Test drove the CX-5 today. Interior was amazing as expected, drive was fine, but had a lot of cabin noise. It didn't help that we test drove a RAV-4 hybrid earlier.

It’s smaller than the size range you’re looking at, but the cx-30 is insanely quiet on the inside if that’s a big thing for you.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
That article about Hyundais and Kias being easy to steal has remained in the headlines for loving days.

I feel like those models are going to become significantly cheaper in the near future.

Repost of the articles for reference -

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/01/27/business/progressive-state-farm-hyundai-kia/index.html

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a42674110/kia-hyundai-lawsuit-insurers-stolen-vehicles/

https://www.q13fox.com/news/seattle-sues-kia-and-hyundai-for-failing-to-install-anti-theft-technology-in-some-models

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

(Reposting From Yospos)
I Need Some Outside Help Re: New Car, so Im Gonna Ask You All

:canada:
Do I A:
Keep my 2013 Dodge Dart GT (2.0L Engine, 55L Gas Tank - right now gas is $1.55/L, so I pay roughly $80 a fill)
161,000KM (100,000 Miles)
Runs Fine, No Real Issues at All
Fully Paid For, Only Pay Insurance + Gas + Oil Changes + Regular Maintenance (Last Repair Cost About $400 for Some New Parts)
Has Studded winter tires on rims that I swap out in November and brand new summer tires (bought in 2020) on factory rims that go on in April/May

Or Do I B:
Get the new 2023 Honda CRV Touring Hybrid (2.0L Engine With ecvt Transmission)
$398/Biweekly @ 7.99% For 7 Years (Maybe 6.99% If I Go Through My Credit Union - I Have to Call)
Trade-in for my Dart was $4,500 - CRV is $56,700 after taxes and everything else
Brand New
May Save on Gas
Needs New Winter Tires Next Year (I Want Nokian Hakkapeliittas - Unsure if Ill Get Studs This Time Tho)

Part of me feels its smarter to just run my car right into the ground. But then car prices are only going up.
Part of me feels $800/mo in my pocket while I already have a car can be used to save for things I am wanting: New Oled TV, Trip to Japan in 2024 we’re planning, just general having money on standby (the payment plan is fully affordable but always good to have more)

It’s hosed me up, hehe. Pros and Cons everywhere. With the emergence of EV’s by all the big guys there is that to look forward too. They may be pretty expensive in the larger car category though as im looking at the SUV's for storage. Honda has the Prologue coming out in 2024. But no idea on price. The guy at Honda said I would be fine to just trade the CRV in when that comes out tho.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Nowhere did you say why you want to buy a new car, except maybe vaguely gas prices?

Spending $50k+ on a new car to save a few bucks each time at the pump makes no sense.

New car prices are still high but starting to normalize. There is no FOMO to buying right now.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You shouldn't run a 7 year loan at that rate unless you are about to die without the thing it is paying for. If you have any choice in the matter you need to save a down payment that gets you a note that works in your budget for 5 years if not shorter.

You don't explain any real reason to want the new car. This is no brainer keep your old car unless you are hiding something about what you really want.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Oh yeah, main reason is needing something with more space to move stuff and starting a family (kids soon). Wife has a 2021 Jeep Compass too. Plus we live about 20 minutes outside the city we work in and it can get pretty snowy here so the Dart is a bit too low.
Plus i've always wanted a Honda. :3:

E: Saving to get a better 5 year rate is smart too, you're right. I paid my Dart off in 5 years (I actually think it was 4, I can't remember) and the idea of 7 years paying a car off really annoys me. Plus the days of 0% financing seem over - my wife got it on her car (she had to get one - had a Dodge Caliber that was on its last legs)

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 29, 2023

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

fknlo posted:

It’s smaller than the size range you’re looking at, but the cx-30 is insanely quiet on the inside if that’s a big thing for you.

It's weird, we just test drove a CX-5 at another dealership, and the car was quiet. When I drove the loud one yesterday, the salesperson said "it was making some weird knocking noises" but we didn't have time to test drive a second one to confirm and peaced out. I just assumed he was making some sales excuse, but I guess he was right.

The shortages are still a thing and I don't have a leg to stand on for negotiations, so I'll probably just buy one at MSRP. Looks like there are a couple coming in the next week in the exact trim we want with no crazy extras, so we're gonna try and snag one. If not I might drive a bit further just to stop bleeding from the rental.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
test drive report-

2.2 Santa Fe- I like all the luxuries but it rolls up like a joint around corners, felt a bit brash when I really put the hammer down too

2.0 TDI Tiguan- a lot less roll, probably a little too small and the electronic dash is tilted at a weird angle for tall people

result- I still want a base model 7 seat kodiaq or the tiguan allspice with manual and a 4x4 and I'm gonna keep looking till a good one appears

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Captain Log posted:

That article about Hyundais and Kias being easy to steal has remained in the headlines for loving days.

I feel like those models are going to become significantly cheaper in the near future.

Repost of the articles for reference -

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/01/27/business/progressive-state-farm-hyundai-kia/index.html

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a42674110/kia-hyundai-lawsuit-insurers-stolen-vehicles/

https://www.q13fox.com/news/seattle-sues-kia-and-hyundai-for-failing-to-install-anti-theft-technology-in-some-models

Yeah it's definitely a thing, several of our fleet vehicles (all hyundias) have been stolen recently. It's suspected that it is due to this getting more attention. Amusingly enough it appears it initially emerged as a tick tock challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

DesperateDan posted:

test drive report-

2.2 Santa Fe- I like all the luxuries but it rolls up like a joint around corners, felt a bit brash when I really put the hammer down too

2.0 TDI Tiguan- a lot less roll, probably a little too small and the electronic dash is tilted at a weird angle for tall people

result- I still want a base model 7 seat kodiaq or the tiguan allspice with manual and a 4x4 and I'm gonna keep looking till a good one appears

I really didn't like the Santa Fe I rented a while back, like you say pretty floppy to drive around.

Those 2 do look like the best options given you have the manual box restriction. I see a bunch of manual Tiguan Allspaces on Auto Trader, are you in NI or something ?