Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

this reads as desperate as those fake testosterone pills talk radio sells to olds that always include the line "IF YOU TAKE THIS AND IT'S TOO EXTREEEEME, ONLY TAKE HALF!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

brugroffil posted:

at least with Theranos, if it DID work, it really would have been a huge, beneficial change in the medical field

tesla is just some electric personal vehicle

not to dogpile but cmon

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

yeah, ive got unusually high sales. she goes to another school

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
he's right though, tesla doesn't even have that going for it

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Remind me, didn't Musk specifically demand he'd be credited as the founder of Tesla despite ousting the original CEO or did I imagine that part?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
he had them make him an "honorary founder"

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

So that's the other thing, he's not a pioneer even inside Tesla.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

zegermans posted:

this reads as desperate as those fake testosterone pills talk radio sells to olds that always include the line "IF YOU TAKE THIS AND IT'S TOO EXTREEEEME, ONLY TAKE HALF!"

I remember being real little and watching late night VH1 and Comedy Central poo poo with ads that were like "DEAL IS ONLY GOOD IF YOU CALL IN THE NEXT 2 MINUTES" and I would think "man that job must be crazy, every time this commercial is on you have to like sell while watching a timer and poo poo, drat"

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

BioMe posted:

Remind me, didn't Musk specifically demand he'd be credited as the founder of Tesla despite ousting the original CEO or did I imagine that part?

yeah part of the deal for him funding them was him being treated as having been one of the original people involved, and the one with the original inspiration. He used the position he bought to force out the guy who actually was. Then he destroyed the dude's car out of spite.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Bushiz posted:

yeah part of the deal for him funding them was him being treated as having been one of the original people involved, and the one with the original inspiration. He used the position he bought to force out the guy who actually was. Then he destroyed the dude's car out of spite.

The favorite part of model why reveal was Elon bringing out the 1st roadster off the line... the one that contractually supposed to be Martin Eberhard's.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
https://twitter.com/bendwalsh/status/1108061679613550593?s=21

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

zegermans posted:

it's basically the sales pitch from the white van speaker scam. telling a lie in order to spin a "sale" that is extremely time-limited is one of the oldest tricks in the book

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

in college, some students made an automatic cocktail mixer as their senior computer engineering design project. they made it work with off the shelf booze bottles, but if they had truly Disrupted and developed some proprietary system of single-use Drink Paks™, they'd have been billionaires

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
use the coke freestyle method and sell everything in inkjet style tanks with a subscription

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
actually, how is a coke freestyle machine but some of the tanks are booze instead of only syrup not a thing already?

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

infernal machines posted:

actually, how is a coke freestyle machine but some of the tanks are booze instead of only syrup not a thing already?

the vast majority by volume of the ingredients in a glass of coke is seltzer water

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
you could probably do something where you have cocktail flavored syrup cartridges, a tank of carbonated water, and a tank of everclear though

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Bushiz posted:

the book has a couple blurbs about some of the billionaires who invested taking it to people with advanced degrees in medicine and specificially like medical diagnosis and asking them to look over the stuff and all of those people with advanced degrees came back and said "All of this is extremely bullshit, it's a fake scam that an idiot would fall for, do not give this woman any money, because it is a scam" and all the billionaires being like "but she seems really sure" and then writing a check with 8 zeroes on it.

every page it cycles through something like that but sometimes it's massive incompetence and sometimes it's the guy she drove to suicide.

Until 2015 I was working at NIH and immersed in device regulation for #reasons and even in 2014 it was obvious to “an average practitioner of the art” (to use patent language) that Theranos’ claims were complete bollocks.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I don't want a robot making my cocktails until they invent true AI like those Omnics from Overwatch. Then I'll be all about robot bartenders.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

That robot better juggle the flasks and shake my drink, or grab me by the face and shove me into various vats of alcohol, or I'm not interested.

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaRPrL88o34

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

the kind of cocktail mixing a subscription-model machine is going to be capable of is going to be the equivalent of buying bottled wine coolers. like, sure i guess, but why not just buy a bottle of coke and a halfpint of rum and drink some of the coke and empty the rum into it like a normal person

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

OMGVBFLOL posted:

the kind of cocktail mixing a subscription-model machine is going to be capable of is going to be the equivalent of buying bottled wine coolers. like, sure i guess, but why not just buy a bottle of coke and a halfpint of rum and drink some of the coke and empty the rum into it like a normal person

Is your bottle internet connected? I think not.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

OMGVBFLOL posted:

you can pour boiling water over ground coffee and get coffee, but kurieg still exists

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

you can pour boiling water over ground coffee and get coffee, but kurieg still exists

My parents got me a big old box of K-Cups for christmas, I'm going to be drinking that horrible attempt at coffee for months.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
After all the BS, the stock ended negative. Beautiful.

Ill Peripheral
Jun 29, 2008

Yes but why not boiling water over plastic, tasty

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

gschmidl posted:

Is your bottle internet connected? I think not.

can't wait for someone to hack my coffee machine and spray boiling hot lovely espresso on my eyeballs while playing rick astley

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Watching the Holmes doc. I knew a vague description of her story but not all the details. Did all these highly established/respected people really place their trust in a kid who had proved nothing? Because if so, lmaoooooooooooooooo

Most of the people she tricked had no background in the industry and just assumed it would be possible to do.

It also included a wide variety of DC beltway/media scum since everyone from Rupert Murdoch to Betsy Devos made multi-million dollar investments in Theranos.

Her DC silver spoon connections through her parents also helped her to connect to DC area 1 percenters to pitch her idea.

Also the "good" guy in the Trump administration Mattis joined the bored of the Theranos directors even though he was personally briefed by military SMEs with medical background that the whole idea was a scam.

https://www.vox.com/2018/3/16/17124288/mattis-theranos-board-trump

quote:

Secretary of Defense James Mattis is implicated in one of the largest business scandals of the past decades, described by the Securities and Exchange Commission as an “elaborate, years-long fraud” through which Theranos, led by CEO Elizabeth Holmes and president Ramesh “Sunny” Balwani, “exaggerated or made false statements about the company’s technology, business, and financial performance.”

Basically, their biotech startup was founded on the promise of faster, cheaper, painless blood tests. But their technology was fake.

Mattis not only served on Theranos’s board during some of the years it was perpetrating the fraud after he retired from US military service, but he earlier served as a key advocate of putting the company’s technology (technology that was, to be clear, fake) to use inside the military while he was still serving as a general. Holmes is settling the case, paying a $500,000 fee and accepting various other penalties, while Balwani is fighting it out in court.

Nobody on the board is being directly charged with doing anything. But accepting six-figure checks to serve as a frontman for a con operation is the kind of thing that would normally count as a liability in American politics.

But nobody wants to talk about it. Not just Trump and his co-partisans in Congress; the Democratic Party opposition is also inclined to give Mattis a pass. Everyone in Washington is more or less convinced that his presence in the Pentagon is the only thing standing between us and possible nuclear Armageddon.

It’s an absurd, intolerable situation, but that’s life in America in 2018 — and a perfect illustration of how Trump’s unfitness for office exerts a corrosive influence throughout American life

etalian has issued a correction as of 21:25 on Mar 19, 2019

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Over Easy posted:

I am a rich person and i support fiscal restraint and responsibility

That is why i am giving 8 figures to this person who was a child 20 months ago so she can do blood magic
I would literally sooner bankroll an actual, honest-to-god child for the performance of blood magic than any of Silicon Valley's various scams.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

and once she got past the original startup funds, she would take a machine that didn't work to VC meetings and present fake results. the book goes into this in more detail -- part of their pitch is they'd have the people in the room provide a sample, load it into the machine, and then have the screen display a photoshopped/fake result, or have someone come in and run the sample to an actual lab where actual testing would take place. then the investors would be presented with their 'results'. that's part of the reason she's going to go to jail for actual fraud -- its's not that she overpromised and underdelivered, it's that she literally created a fake machine and lied about what it was capable of (including providing people with fraudulent test results). when people in the VC meetings would ask to see the actual mechanism that was doing the testing -- even agreeing to sign NDAs -- she'd say 'no we can't do that! that's a dealbreaker' and they'd nod their heads and go 'wow that must be some technology if she won't even show us how it works!' and hand over her money.

there's also an anecdote from one of the guys who worked at walgreens. IIRC he was a professional lab consultant and walgreens brought him in to vet the theranos deal and oversee it, and when he told the walgreens CEO that something wasn't right, the walgreens CEO was basically like 'yea, but what if we're wrong and this is right? the risk is worth it!' although none of them suspected the fraud was as extensive as what it was.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

also theres an interview with one the first VCs who gave her money based on just an idea and he was basically like: 'her grandather was a doctor and her uncle was an entrepreneur it's in her blood!'

there is a theory though that she wasn't the original driving force behind it, that it was really her Stanford professor Channing Roberts who basically set her up as a fall person/the front of the company (he held a large amount of stock) and then faded away when everything went to poo poo without suffering any consequences

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

Elon Musk: none of them suspected the fraud was as extensive as what it was.

Doomsday Economics: none of them suspected the fraud was as extensive as what it was.

The Succ Zone: none of them suspected the fraud was as extensive as what it was.

TRUMP!: none of them suspected the fraud was as extensive as what it was.

Something Awful: None of them expected the fraud was as extensive as what it was.

:capitalism:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

there's also an anecdote from one of the guys who worked at walgreens. IIRC he was a professional lab consultant and walgreens brought him in to vet the theranos deal and oversee it, and when he told the walgreens CEO that something wasn't right, the walgreens CEO was basically like 'yea, but what if we're wrong and this is right? the risk is worth it!' although none of them suspected the fraud was as extensive as what it was.

Yeah lots of investors like Walgreens got taken for a ride because they had a fear of being left out if the promised Star Trek technology turned out to be legit.

But on a basic R&R level it was a complete scam.

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

that's part of the reason she's going to go to jail for actual fraud

lets not get ahead of ourselves. she may have committed the Only Crime in America but she still knows Kissinger.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

yeah, ive got unusually high sales. she goes to another school

my sales are from canada, you wouldn't know them

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Unusually high sales definitely being detected at summer camp

Churchill
Nov 27, 2007
Winston
Most have probably heard of it considering the thread, but everytime when a Theranos, Juicero or Tesla pops up and I catch myself thinking "well surely society has learned THIS time" I remind myself that this book was published in 1841 with examples mainly from the 17th century and onwards.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extraordinary_Popular_Delusions_and_the_Madness_of_Crowds

It's like a 19th century Bad Blood and a surprisingly fun read, once you get used to the outdated prose. Obviously I don't need to tell this thread, but boy does humanity never change. A few quations stolen from wikipedia:

"Of all the offspring of Time, Error is the most ancient, and is so old and familiar an acquaintance, that Truth, when discovered, comes upon most of us like an intruder, and meets the intruder's welcome."

"We find that whole communities suddenly fix their minds upon one object, and go mad in its pursuit; that millions of people become simultaneously impressed with one delusion, and run after it, till their attention is caught by some new folly more captivating than the first."

"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

people have been trying to make it a thing since forever. like seriously there are entire classes of patents for fully automated cocktail systems.

there's just not a large enough market for it. people who will spend on high end cocktails like the preparation rituals and bottles. people who dgaf aren't going to pay a premium for cartridges when Uncle Jesus's jug-o-tequila does the job just fine.

on the commercial side bar owners don't want a machine to maintain, multiple bartenders generally beat the machine in speed because they can mix a bunch of drinks at the same time, and patrons generally like watching the bartenders work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

etalian posted:

Yeah lots of investors like Walgreens got taken for a ride because they had a fear of being left out if the promised Star Trek technology turned out to be legit.

But on a basic R&R level it was a complete scam.

rational and good-faith actors

rational and good-faith market