Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/TonyAbbottMHR/status/784503476285865985

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Unfortunately, Ford can't really be blamed on Abbott. They announced they were closing months before he was elected.
http://www.ford.com.au/about/newsroom-result?article=1249024395989

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Hockey was a complete tool during that period though

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I imagine this statement would never have been issued if Rolex made a car.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The Falcon was assembled in Broadmeadows, not Geelong you dumb gently caress.

The Geelong stamping plant shut down around June this year.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
You seem to think that Abbott cares even a little bit that the poo poo dribbling out of his mouth is correct

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

norp posted:

You seem to think that Abbott cares even a little bit that the poo poo dribbling out of his mouth is correct

Abbott cares a great deal. He just thinks his mouth poo poo is pure gold and not the putrid diarrhea everyone else sees & smells plopping out.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
So according to a survey by the RSPCA 60 percent favour a greyhound racing ban, but Baird is going down in the polls because of the racing ban? Does anyone want to tell me what's going on?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Starshark posted:

So according to a survey by the RSPCA 60 percent favour a greyhound racing ban, but Baird is going down in the polls because of the racing ban? Does anyone want to tell me what's going on?

Dey took err jerbs probably.

Also I think people underestimate just how much some other people don't give a poo poo about the wellbeing of other humans & animals so long as there is a buck to be made.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Starshark posted:

I guess there might be a lot of liberals who hate the ban so much they'd switch their vote and a lot of labor supporters who like it, but not enough to switch theirs.

Or the simpler reason is that he's not going down in the polls because of the greyhound racing ban.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I think the fact Mike Baird is going down in the polls is less to do with the greyhound ban, and more to do with the fact he's Mike Baird.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Probably punters getting pissed off they cants bet on things at the pub.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Clawtopsy posted:

I think the fact Mike Baird is going down in the polls is less to do with the greyhound ban, and more to do with the fact he's Mike Baird.

Yeah, the lockout laws are probably doing a lot more to drag his approval rating down than the greyhound racing ban. I guess it's just that people really want the racing ban to be the big issue with him instead of that.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Oct 8, 2016

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Anidav posted:

Probably punters getting pissed off they cants bet on things at the pub.

I am all for our communist fascist nanny state to do something about Ladbrokes and it's ilk. :ussr:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, the lockout laws are probably doing a lot more to drag his approval rating down than the greyhound racing ban. I guess it's just that people really want the racing ban to be the big issue with him instead of that.

The lockout laws are actually pretty popular too.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
The Age seems have a bit of a hate-on for using greyhounds for medical research, where exactly do they think a large amount of modern medicine comes from if not animal studies?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

My grandfather sent me another chain email...

quote:

This shortened the odds

Bill Shorten On his recent trip to the USA, Bill Shorten addressed a major gathering of the American Indigenous Indian chiefs.

He spoke for almost an hour about his plans for increasing every Australian Aboriginal's present standard of living.

Though vague in detail, he spoke about his ideas for helping his "sisters and brothers."

Afterwards, the Indian Chief’s presented him with a plaque inscribed with his new native language name, which translated into English as "Walking Eagle", which he proudly accepted.

After Shorten left, a news reporter asked the Indian Chief’s spokesman how they came to select this name.

He explained that "Walking Eagle" is the name given to a bird so full of poo poo it can no longer fly.

Where is the American version?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/humor/eagle.asp

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

^ snap you win

Anidav posted:

What, you couldn't google http://www.snopes.com/politics/humor/eagle.asp ?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

This forum has taught me that Australians are creatively bankrupt and they just use American chain emails. I don't think I even had to ask but I knew it would be.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Anidav posted:

This forum has taught me that Australians are creatively bankrupt and they just use American chain emails. I don't think I even had to ask but I knew it would be.

Most chain emails are totally devoid of creativity or wit. Especially the ones the right likes to fling around from time to time.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Seems like Fairfax has received leaked internal documents showing Australia Post is being advised to prepare for privatisation and sell off Startrack.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Anidav posted:

Seems like Fairfax has received leaked internal documents showing Australia Post is being advised to prepare for privatisation and sell off Startrack.

Which LNP private backer is the shoe-in during the "auction"?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

DancingShade posted:

Which LNP private backer is the shoe-in during the "auction"?

Telstra Post.

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah

Anidav posted:

Telstra Post.

lol

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Anidav posted:

Telstra Post.

I wonder, is there a tipping point where we've sold enough poo poo to Telstra that it stops becoming the government outsourcing things to them, and starts becoming Telstra outsourcing government duties to parliament?

sausage eyes
Nov 28, 2007

Truly the Abbott government is comparable to the horrors of Nazi Germany - auspol poster Sausage Eyes, 2015, in between hits of the crack pipe.

:australia:

Anidav posted:

The best was when I had to try to tell people I care about that a distant steprelative's story about having to torture a man in a regional community to get him to reveal his bride was a child had a bunch of similarities to hit show 24.

The worst is dealing with freemen poo poo "hey bro that stuffs not real" apparantly doesnt work.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Woolworths and Officeworks are already trying to compete with Auspost. They both run their own packaging and courier network. Hell I know some people post normal letters with Officeworks because they think Auspost will 100% lose their poo poo but I think that's not true, it is a little bit of an urban legend. While it does happen, I don't think Auspost is as bad as say DHL.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
I've always found Auspost to be very good. I didn't know they had a bad reputation.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

AgentF posted:

I've always found Auspost to be very good. I didn't know they had a bad reputation.

Same :shrug:

Maybe some people blame the parent org instead of the local contractor / franchisee? My local post office is really one of those combo newsagencies/corner stores and they're great.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Yeah whenever I order online I pray they use auspost because I've basically never had issues.
Every other courier company can suck a wet fart out of my arse though.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

cohsae posted:

Yeah whenever I order online I pray they use auspost because I've basically never had issues.
Every other courier company can suck a wet fart out of my arse though.

Agreed. The courier company that Apple Australia uses has office hours of 10am-4pm weekdays only, if you had to do a pick up from one of their depots. At least my local post office does Saturday mornings

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The only good courier I have used is e-go. Fast, cheap and no bullshit. Everyone else seems to be totally loving retarded. Auspost is fantastic however.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Auspost is the only company that can find the private street we're on.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Private freight in Australia is a joke. They include a clause that explicitly excludes them from any liability ("Not a common carrier"). This means they can break or even steal your stuff and there is 100% no legal recourse against them. gently caress that poo poo. This, of course, has spawned a whole freight insurance industry with many suppliers charging you, the recipient, for insurance with no reasonable opt out. Also gently caress that poo poo.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-22/rio-olympics-2016-how-much-does-a-medal-cost-taxpayer/7748946

quote:

Australia won 29 medals in Rio, at a cost of $11,434,910 per medal.
And they're made of real gold!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-09/allegations-of-homophobic-bullying-at-newtown-police-station/7916186

quote:

Random drug tests spark claims of homophobic bullying at Newtown Police Station By Lucy McNally Updated 21 minutes ago

Newtown Police station in Sydney is at the centre of allegations of homophobic bullying, with three officers and one former officer accusing management of targeting them for drug testing because they are gay.

Allegations taken to NSW Civil and Administrative Review Tribunal and NSW Anti-Discrimination Board. Last year, former senior constable Christian McDonald and serving policemen Christopher Sheehy, Shane Housego and Steven Rapisarda were told they had been selected for random drug testing.

Their lawyer Nicholas Stewart said they complied and passed, but later realised no other officer at Newtown Station at the time had been targeted.
Anyone who wasn't already alarmed at giving police and other authorities more powers should consider the unintended result of these sort of unfettered powers. Especially as your only recourse may be through an increasingly neutered and skewed judiciary.

So what have we learnt from Malaysia?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-09/christopher-pyne-staffer-jack-walker-resigns-stripping-scandal/7915834

quote:

One of the nine Australian men who stripped down to his swimmers at the Malaysian Formula One Grand Prix has resigned from his position in the office of Cabinet Minister Christopher Pyne.

Senior policy advisor Jack Walker gave notice to the Defence Industry Minister on Saturday, shortly after flying back to Australia. "Jack indicated to me his deep regret for causing any embarrassment to the Government and apologised," Mr Pyne said in a statement. "One lapse of judgement does not detract from the fact that Jack has been an outstanding staff member, a significant contributor to my office since late 2013 and I believe he will have a bright future." Finance Minister Mathias Cormann said the 26-year-old had paid a high price for the incident.

So a couple of things. See if you can make the following gel in your mind:

A/ Malaysia are a country of utter humourless bastards for not allowing a bunch of drunken yobbos to behave in a manner that was deeply offensive to their society.

B/ We should never accept a single foreigner who is unwilling to completely conform to our way of life.

But while the double standards keep on piling up in the corner with our decency and moral compasses consider:

Lad does something a ladish in some filthy towel head country and lol well, you know, poo poo happens but none the less resigns over it.

Attorney General does something despicable and entirely against the rule of law and recognised parliamentary process. Well you know these thing happen from time to time no point in making a big deal about it....

While Mal Brough, Arthur Sidiodinus and George Brandis still hold public office in Australia we are a failed state. They all need to be brought to account and every single politician who isn't actively canvassing for this is a fraud and needs to also resign. The standard you walk past (etc.)

:cb: :cb: :cb: :cb: :cb: :cb: :cb: :cb: :cb: :cb: :cb: :cb: :cb: :cb: :cb: :cb: :cb: :cb: :cb: :cb:

Edit: Is it known exactly how much political capital was spent in Malaysia (or perhaps even cash) to bail these boof heads out? That would be an interesting story.

Cartoon fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Oct 9, 2016

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Aren't they too busy at the moment deciding on their payrise and entitlements to worry about this sort of thing?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

starkebn posted:

Aren't they too busy at the moment deciding on their payrise and entitlements to worry about this sort of thing?

Leaning on the public purse in that way you'd think it was a LNP bean bag chair.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Cartoon posted:

So what have we learnt from Malaysia?

That you'll make excuses for authoritarian regimes as long as the victims are people you disagree with politically? You're using the exact same logic that dickheads here used to handwave away the 2 Bali 9 guys being executed.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

thatfatkid posted:

That you'll make excuses for authoritarian regimes as long as the victims are people you disagree with politically? You're using the exact same logic that dickheads here used to handwave away the 2 Bali 9 guys being executed.
Rubbish. I think the attitude is wrong headed in both cases. I was merely pointing out that the two positions are entirely contradictory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Presumably that simpering fuckwit Chris Uhlmann is writing an article currently about how reliance on brown coal is to blame for Victoria's power outage

• Locked thread