Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I KEEP RELOADING THE PAGE UT NOTHING HAPPENS :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Siegkrow posted:

New page! Thanks. Give me... hour and a half?

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
i broke f5 key how fix?

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Siegkrow posted:

That's because you're reloading the old page and made a new page, silly.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I replayed SR3 just because a few days back, so now I'm imagining Speedball's post heading for the thread while I Need A Hero plays on loop.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Speedball posted:

New page! Thanks. Give me... hour and a half?

We can resume :f5:ing now, yes?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Okay, my original estimates were delayed due to minor real world chores. Still going up today.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Oh god.... oh godohgodohgod. Hurry!!

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
I swear, right now he just wants to see us squirm!

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
And to think, speedball. At some point you doubted that your writing was entertaining. :colbert:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Drakenel posted:

And to think, speedball. At some point you doubted that your writing was entertaining. :colbert:

Aww, thanks!

Hey, it's better to doubt yourself and be good than not doubt yourself and be awful!

All images captured, processing now.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I really really hope you segue this into X-com 2 somehow. It would be AMAZING.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I really really hope you segue this into X-com 2 somehow. It would be AMAZING.

Honestly. I'd be more than happy with him not having to dance around a game that isn't even out yet in his planning :v:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

XCOM Part 56: Temple Ship Assault

The Temple Ship’s reacting. It’s lowering shields… and a docking port just opened up.
No way they’re letting us inside.
It’s also got big flashing lights and arrow signs pointing at itself.
Could just be signaling one of its UFOs to enter it.
And it’s launching fireworks that spell out “COME HERE XCOM. HUMANS WELCOME. (Hi, Cam!)”
Okaaay. Trap?
Trap. But we’ll never get another chance.

B-team, you’ve saved the earth as often as anyone, but there’s only one Skyranger. I need you guys on the ground, in case everything fucks up and we all die.
No problem, commander!
And Furies, and Annette? We’re putting you into cryogenic suspension. Maybe a day, maybe a week, maybe years… but if something fucks up, I want you guys to be able to be the trump card we use against aliens in the future.
As long as we don’t get freezer burn, commander!
I’ve had a very awful year. I could definitely stand to sleep for weeks.

I just finished hugging everyone goodbye!
And totally making out with Hugo in front of everyone. Wipe your mouth off!
Ladies, you’ve been consistently the toughest and most elite soldiers we’ve ever produced. It’s going to be a long fight, and Bar-Lev is specced for defensive powers and accuracy over offensive shots like Gomez, so she’s going, as is our best medic, our best sniper, our best Heavy, and our two best Assaults, both of whom are psychic.
You’re kitted out with the new plasma pistols, just in case, and Bar-Lev’s rig is doubled-up on healing gel sprayers. Everyone’s got those new cloaking Ghost Armors, too, for maximum mobility and evasion.
Let’s get this over with!

Any last words before the mission, now’s your chance to share ‘em.
I’d like to thank you all for putting up with my grumpiness. I can be a real jerk out in the field…
Aww, but that’s what makes you great!
I’d like to thank the Commander for melding me into a super mutant. I feel like my life’s just beginning, despite it all.

I’d like to thank Leroy for that nice impromptu wedding garb she whipped up!
Hah, anytime.
I’d like to thank you all for never giving me poo poo for being trans.
And I’ve got too many thanks to give them all out… I’ll make a list after we win.

They’re really not shooting at us…
Guns up! It’s definitely a trap.

Cover all corners! Cam, you’re our money shot, you come out last.
Okay…

Uggh…
Can you hear me?

It’s been a long time coming, Cam, but I knew you had the right stuff. An enduring physical form, with tanking regenerative abilities, enough agility to dodge bullets, AND wizard powers to boot. The perfect multi-class.
…huh? Who’s talking!?

Nobody’s talking, Cam.
I thought I heard something…
I-It’s nothing! Okay. Focus. There’s three paths ahead of us, but let’s not get split up too much. Move forward, cover each other’s backs. Hilda, scout for us.

Sectoids! Two little ones and a Commander.
Alright. Move up. We can take these guys out.

I got one!

Sectoid 1 down.
The Commander jumped the railing to the left.

And two more to the right!

Enemy shot wide!
They’re mentally powerful, but physically and spiritually weak; cowardly and cruel, like most nerds with a superiority complex. They’re worthless compared to you, Cam. You should be able to take them on easy.
Nrrrrggg…

Second one down.
Its body disappeared… And the first one’s too! Why isn’t there any body?

The Sectoid commander must be loving with our heads, like in the alien base!

Auuugh! You rear end in a top hat! For that you die!

What…? It’s an illusion too?

Oh, my god, it’s an alien Bar-Lev.

GAAAAH!
What the hell is up, Cam?
I keep seeing… things! The past. The future. Ever since I touched that device. …maybe I’m still touching that device and it’s all a fantasy! How do I know this isn’t fake!?

You don’t. There’s nothing I can say that can convince you what’s real. So just treat everything as real. If it tries to hurt you, hurt it back.
Yeah, you were out of your gourd more than most of us back in the alien base, and you were still able to kick all sorts of alien rear end.

Don’t worry, I’ve got it. Everyone, move up!

We’ve got more enemies teleporting in out of nowhere! Two groups of enemies on top of those arches!
Cyberdiscs and drones. Remember those, Cam? Weak little guys supporting a mechanical engine of destruction. Kinda like how Leroy keeps backing up Bar-Lev with her healing. Just dumb machines, ultimately, but really cool ones.

I’ve got a perfect blaster shot set up that should kill one of these enemy pods!
Take it!

Good shot.
The disc is not quite dead yet.

I got it. The rest of you focus on the other pod.

The second disc is down.
Man, with our latest weapons, these guys are easy! What the hell are the Ethereals doing, toying with us?
I’m still not sure they aren’t. The bodies keep disappearing.

Floaters!
Ahhh. These guys were so pathetic they couldn’t even be mutated into something useful, so they just chopped off everything and replaced it with battle machinery. Now they’re these crazy berserker-freaks… Useful in combat, but still kinda pathetic.

But you remember floaters well, don’t you, Cam? They killed Allen the first time you saw them.
AUGH! Stop that!

Got one!
Cam, get it together! What’s going on with you?
Guys, there’s a voice in my head. It keeps describing the things we’re seeing.
Well, that sounds redundant.

I’m mindblasting the armored floater. That’ll slow it down. The rest of us should be able to kill the others in one hit.

Big floater down! Whew…

Cam, stop freaking out and get up here with the rest of us!
I’m coming, I’m coming!

More of them! poo poo!

AUGH!
Monique!

I—I’ll be fine. I can patch myself up. Take those guys out.

No problem. They can gently caress with my head all they want, I’ll just keep mowing them down. I got the one on the left!

I have the one on the right!

Aaahhh… that’s the stuff! You see? We can do it! The aliens are running out of tricks to throw at us, that’s why they keep using the weak warriors!

poo poo!
You jinxed it, Eva! They’re teleporting Chrysalids in on us now!
…oops. Sorry!

You remember Chrysalids, too, right Cam? You still remember how the first one you saw gutted a civilian, only to turn them into a zombie. And you HATE zombies. Always thought it was funny you had a phobia of them.
Shut it! Zombies are a lot scarier in real life than they are in video games!
That may be, but these aliens are just mindless monsters. Not proper soldiers. Strong bodies, but all they do is breed out of control. You can exterminate them, too, can’t you, new guy?

That does it! I’m giving them all I’ve got! HRRRAAAA!!!

Holy poo poo, you did it! Hahaha. I wonder. Was it the psi suit, the Gollop Chamber, or just your natural ability? Any way you slice it, though, you’re a badass.
ff…Finish them off!

No problem!

All enemies down. Still no bodies, what the gently caress?!
All your hard work is paying off. The Orphan has trained you guys well. Wouldn’t it be cool if everyone on Earth was as badass as you? I sure think so.
Quiet! Okay. I’m cloaking and going ahead. I think I saw a couple of thin men ahead.
That takes me back.

AAAAH! THIN MAN!
It’s an alien that looks like a human!
With a loving big gun!
And a really cheap suit! Looks like Action Wada brand!
what?

These ones were always smart, and flexible, but their brains used the wrong kind of chemistry. They couldn’t support psychic powers. Good news for you, though, right?

I’m gonna Zinchenko them out of there! Grenade out! Two for one special, assholes!
Whoah!
Move up!

Mutons! About four soldiers and one berserker!
Everyone take cover!

I’ll try to flank the ones to the right!

Whew! One down! Combat rush time!

Son of a… The berserker disappeared the moment I punched it. They can’t be real!
It still feels real when they shoot at you.

Looks like there’s some kind of platform over a pit ahead. Perfect for a kill zone. Everyone reload before you head in there!

We have two of those walking tanks up ahead. poo poo. We’re gonna need to concentrate fire on one of them while I disable the other.
I need to get in closer before I can do my EMP thing on them.

Here! An invisibility grenade for you, Mimi! You can get them now!
Great thinking, kid.

Everyone set up? Nobody do anything while visible, or they’ll scatter!

I have them!

Okay, concentrate firepower!
Roger!

First one’s down. Second one’s still up!

poo poo, these things are tough. I just unloaded my whole cannon into it and it’s not dead yet.
I got it!

Whew! Now that’s a long shot. Nice work!

I see two Elite Mutons materializing! But I know we can take them if we work together, they’re not even as tough as the walking tanks.
Yes. Don’t you think it’s a bit odd how well your team works together? As if they were all one living, breathing unit?
If you’re implying what I think you’re implying, that’s bullshit. The commander isn’t controlling us.
That he knows of. But how would he? The Orphan wasn’t even aware he was possessing someone the first time he did it. To control a small squad of soldiers would require subtle influence indeed… not much, just enough to help you all see what each other sees, to coordinate.

Six tendrils, one for each of you. Do you REALLY think quarantine protocols were the reason only one squad deployed at a time?
Shut it. You’re just trying to trick us since brute force isn’t working. Well, poisoning us against each other won’t work either, rear end in a top hat!
C’mon, Cam. I’ve been your friend this whole time. You just don’t see it yet.

Yeah? Well I see I can blow away one of your elites with just two shells from a gun that humans designed! You don’t scare me anymore. You don’t scare any of us any more!
Did you? Or are you just fighting phantoms of your own imagination? Things that your mind WANTS to defeat?

Reaction fire engaged. Suck my particle collider, rear end in a top hat!
That’s all of them. Move up!

Mimi, you’re hurt again!
Thanks, Monique.
Is that the first serious wound we’ve had? We’re seriously kicking rear end on this mission!
I can feel whatever’s in charge of this all… It’s up ahead.
All right. Cam, you and I turn invisible. Let’s scout ahead. The rest of you, follow us.

At last… gaze upon the visage of the Elders… We who failed to ascend, and were forced to feed upon the Gift of lesser beings.
“Feed upon…” Wait. You mean like Himaya? No. No.

That’s right. Cam! It’s me, your best friend.

CAROL ALLEN!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
What.
The.
loving.
Hell.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

I....

I did not see that coming.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I immediately started humming H&D on reading the stinger, you beautiful bastard.

It's The End

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk
Heh, well done. I found all the nerdy fantasy talk amusing.

Also, I know it's dumb, but for some reason I am hoping you end this the way most people end their campaigns.

With a sniper double tap from outside the room.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
You beautiful bastard.

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

I only have two words for this right now: Well Played.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Heh, I saw te Allen thing coming once the uber ethereal started talking all radical, what I didn't see oming was the undertale reference.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Well, you've sure taken that sudden death as far as possible. I'm looking forward to seeing how the final confrontation goes.

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
With all the nerdy references, I thought the voice was Cam hallucinating her old personality via the magic of stress. This is much better :allears:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Somewhere in the far flung future, a god with the head of a bird is nodding sagely with steepled fingers. "Just as planned..." it says quietly to itself before chuckling.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Heh, that Undertale reference, can't help but wonder, since it's such a good game and what not, will you be referencing it again in the future?

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Wow. :magical:

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

That was loving dumb.

I was hoping that may, just maybe, you'd do something interesting, like "Guess what Cam, we've been loving with your head for a long time, and the perfect Mary-Sue life you've built isn't real," but no, weak twist and shoehorned reference.

biosterous fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jan 16, 2016

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!

biosterous posted:

That was loving dumb.

I was hoping that may, just maybe, you'd do something interesting, like "Guess what Cam, we've been loving with your head for a long time, and the perfect Mary-Sue life you've built isn't real," but no, weak twist and shoehorned reference.

I look forward to reading your next LP, SomethingAwful poster "Biosterous".
Surely it will be a finely crafted tale, full of mystery and whimsy the likes the world has never seen before!
One can only hope that the sheer amount of razor-sharp wit and charm exuded by your glowing golden tome of works isn't enough to simply obliterate any foolish mortal unlucky enough to stumble into your thread by accident.

On an unrelated note, it's okay not to like things and be fully convinced that your "special snowflake suggestion" is obviously the best of all possible alternatives, but there really isn't any reason to be a massive dick about it.
Have a nice day. :cheers:

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
I'm not really feeling it, but I'm interested to see where this goes.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Speedball PLEASE don't take that one guy's opinion as everyone's. We LOVE your work, don't let that guy make you feel bad :(

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
OP is a precious little darling that needs to be protected from any and all negative opinions.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
For the record I have not played Undertale, have no idea what the reference was, was aware of what the twist was going to be about... halfway through? And still enjoyed it.

This was not an invitation to have the reference explained to me.

Seriously, I will ignore the post if you try.

Cathulhu posted:

OP is a precious little darling that needs to be protected from any and all negative opinions.

Yeah this thread gets a fair bit of that, but the guy is actually pretty talented. Another example of the SA standard of "Thread is poo poo, LP is good".

grimlock_master
Nov 1, 2013

Fuck you, suzie

Cathulhu posted:

being a dick != negative opinion.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

Cathulhu posted:

OP has shown issues with depression in the past, so it's probably a good idea to not be a dick with your negative opinions, yeah. Not you, mind, your first post was fine. Negativity's probably alright so long as it isn't outright hostile.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I can see people going "ugh, undertale reference" even if they LIKE Undertale. But they were their best friend, so how many runs through a thesaurus translator would you need before an acceptable "That's right, it is I, the mind of your dead best friend" phrase popped up I wonder, if you can't just shrug and go 'oh well, reference to thing' like I did.

Joke lore reason. They are the brain of a huge nerd, so of course it would be in character for them to be literally quoting Undertale on purpose.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 16, 2016

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

I have no clue what's going on with that reference and I thought it was something from Watkins backstory I'd forgotten.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Dooky Dingo posted:

I look forward to reading your next LP, SomethingAwful poster "Biosterous".

Thank you for informing me that only content creators can have valid opinions about content :v:

The writing has of this LP has gotten worse and dumber as it has gone along. It started with people struggling against an overwhelming foe, dealing with traitors, and trying to work together as a team despite being strangers with little in training and little in common.

Now it's a bunch of brightly-coloured flat characters being The Best At Everything and everyone is in love with everyone and they're all One Big Family and it's sacchirine and boring. Most of the characters have one or two traits, except Cam, who is The Best Psychic and The Most Transhuman and has a Cool Badass Mom, and everything after Allen's death has gone pretty much perfectly for them.

I started reading this thread because it was good when it started. It's bad now.

Speedball, I know you can write better than this, because you have written better than this. I hope you take this as criticism of some of your writing, not of you as a person and not of your skills as a writer in general.

e: and I love Undertale, but that was just a bad forced reference.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
^^^^^
Much more well put that your last post. Actual constructive criticism and no longer coming across as a giant floppy donkey dong.

nothing to seehere posted:

I have no clue what's going on with that reference and I thought it was something from Watkins backstory I'd forgotten.

Same here. From the first nerdy reference I had a pretty good idea of what was going to happen, but Undertale never crossed my mind.

As for Speedball and rear end in a top hat comments, theres nothing wrong with being negative and saying you dont like something. But the OP has shown that he struggles with Depression, the actual clinical type. As someone who also struggles with it daily I can tell you that all it takes is one rear end in a top hat comment to send you into a spiral of self-loathing that's really goddamned hard to break away from. So you didnt like the Shyamalan-ish "What a twist!" There at the end? Cool, feel free to say so. Dont be a dick about ut.

Deadmeat5150 fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Quote is not edit... gently caress

• Locked thread