Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...
How reliable are boats nowadays as far as pets magically falling off/through them? I've got to do something of a base move on a server I'm playing on, and I've been putting it off because it's basically the opposite side of the island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

May contain traces of nuts...

Fayk posted:

How reliable are boats nowadays as far as pets magically falling off/through them? I've got to do something of a base move on a server I'm playing on, and I've been putting it off because it's basically the opposite side of the island.

I haven't had any problems since the latest patches, & that included a single load of 10 direwolves, 2 deer, a saber & an argy at the same time. No problems except seeing where I was going... :D

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
The most significant factor that I've noticed is that it's best to have them on a foundation or ceiling, rather then the raft itself.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Fayk posted:

They don't seem to just glitch off anymore, but they collide with things when the rest of the raft doesn't, so if you drive over a large rock, it'll wipe all the dinos off your raft (including through walls)

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
The swamp is a no go zone for that reason. Also, not sure if this'll apply to you but if you have any passengers, make sure they don't climb any ladders or jump when in motion, as they'll be left behind in the dust, glitching through any structures in the way

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Jackard posted:

They mention having one more biome to add, which I'm betting is Volcanic for the red obelisk.

Others have suggested Desert, but we don't really need a sandy environment with even more bugs and birds???

darthzeta88 posted:

This would be awesome as current ark island is actually really small.

The quote from the devs regarding desert biome/ new maps is 'You will see that in another Ark'.

So I am guessing that the island is an 'Ark' and we will see other ones.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Yea last biome has gotta be volcanic then.

Would also be neat to see an Ice Age map, as a mod if nothing else.

wit
Jul 26, 2011
The island is small when you can fast travel or take crazy fast mounts around it. Solo the game on a pvp (but seriously, dont solo this game, thats 1/100th of the fun) with the element of risk while travelling, combined with just orientating yourself, It is huge. Lets split the difference and call it moderately big enough to hide 70 players in.

I'd like a GTA comparison in map size if anyone can produce it. I doubt its even as big as vice city but if you're not high level it can FEEL really big.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Flying mounts seriously, seriously kill this game.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

raverrn posted:

Till they die. I'm still pissed my bird was murdered due to mistaken identity.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

raverrn posted:

It wouldn't be quite as bad if they couldn't pick people up and drop them for an easy kill. Parachutes not always working, and the burd beung able to pick you up again from the parachute make this even worse. Pretty soon we will apparently have flying mounts with buildable saddles soo....it will get worse.

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.
Here's a question. Can you wait for a dino to regain consciousness and then knock it out again? Say, if you needed time to make a bunch of kibble? Are there downsides to doing this?

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica

Perfectly Safe posted:

Here's a question. Can you wait for a dino to regain consciousness and then knock it out again? Say, if you needed time to make a bunch of kibble? Are there downsides to doing this?

Use to be able to starve tame this way but they fixed that. Knock a animal out, build a building around it so it was stuck when woken up and lose hunger while it was awake with no penalties to tame effectiveness.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Did they ever "fix" being able to create sky houses completely unconnected to the ground?

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Since I know it was asked recently, it looks like arkaddict might be one of the bad ones for server hosting:

https://www.reddit.com/r/playark/comments/3n89jf/psa_arkaddict_is_continuing_to_charge_after/

In other news, 217 dropped without much fanfare. Big ticket item to me was the reduced time per tick for making jerky. A female elk was also released promising faster speeds but with no way to defend itself. Reports on the club say that it only takes 3-4 swings to knock out a person. That fortitude stat is seeming to be more and more valuable as of late. Titanboas also reportedly do some 80 torpor. Not sure if that was the case when they were cave dwellers or not, but they have it in the swamp. This was learned from reddit as well by a guy claiming he was basically passing out on the first strike.

That all said, 217.1 has been announced:

quote:

* Fixed bug with "Rain" & "Snow" visuals only ever appearing once
* Fixed RCON performance issue on Linux/Windows (we think ;)
* Re-enabled 'Raw Socket' support on Linux/Windows Servers (use at your own risk, we believe there are stability issues with raw sockets but some hosts seem to like them ;)

Nothing earth shattering huge, but the visual change will be nice. I had noticed the rain issue prior to the 217 update, so it isn't something that came with 217.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

raverrn posted:

My issue with flying mounts is that they make the island seem a lot smaller. Before you gently caress with them, the island is insurmountably huge.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Would running a server that has no flying mounts be a worthwhile experiment?

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Jackard posted:

I think it would be interesting to experiment with a number of different tweaks, but figuring out what all needs to be tweaked, and to what extent, would be a pretty substantial undertaking.

Flying mounts would probably seem less like bullshit to people if they were more limited in terms of their operation range and abduction capabilities.

kavik
Nov 24, 2005

:ohdear: Oh dear... :ohdear:
My brother has been doing some fun stuff with warpaint, like his Denver Brontos:

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
If you weren't aware, there was a dev q&a stream recently. Someone on reddit was kind enough to write down the tldr of the session. This is useful as apparently the mic was set up wrong causing the guy to just echo the entire time.

https://www.reddit.com/r/playark/comments/3n7cah/ark_survival_evolved_dev_qa_stream/cvlrjz1

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Speaking as someone who made the journey up and down the east coast so many goddamn times because a friend's base was on the southside and mine was far north, I love flying mounts so much I don't care how small they make the island I just love flying so very much.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Jackard posted:

There is already at least one server tbat I saw that has no flying mounts. Can't remember the name.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

p0stal b0b posted:

I prefer my boats to look more like boats, I guess...

Especially jet-powered DEFF BOATS with afterburners coz red goes fasta...

How did you fit so many foundations along the length of the raft? I can't get more than a 3x3 to snap

wit
Jul 26, 2011

GoGoGadget posted:

It wouldn't be quite as bad if they couldn't pick people up and drop them for an easy kill. Parachutes not always working, and the burd beung able to pick you up again from the parachute make this even worse. Pretty soon we will apparently have flying mounts with buildable saddles soo....it will get worse.

I'm going to correct both of you and say that yes giant bird creatures should totally be able to pick you up off the ground and throw you off cliffs. My reasoning for this conclusion is because that is pretty awesome.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

wit posted:

I'm going to correct both of you and say that yes giant bird creatures should totally be able to pick you up off the ground and throw you off cliffs. My reasoning for this conclusion is because that is pretty awesome.

It'd be awesome if there were any legitimate counters to it besides handicapping yourself with weight, or if they couldn't just keep picking you up and dropping you until you eventually die no matter how many parachutes you have.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Magmarashi posted:

How did you fit so many foundations along the length of the raft? I can't get more than a 3x3 to snap

He didnt, you use foundation pillars, build ceilings to where you want them, then build walls down. Build the walls down into the water and build ceilings off those to encase the boat.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

BurntCornMuffin posted:

He didnt, you use foundation pillars, build ceilings to where you want them, then build walls down. Build the walls down into the water and build ceilings off those to encase the boat.

Those are undeniably foundation blocks, they don't line up with the ceilings perfectly, like foundations, and they have different side textures than the walls and the coloration is slightly off

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
yeah two on the right side and probably a third under the ramp but the other side is a wall+ceiling

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Are we looking at different pictures? The two with ramps at the side are both foundations because they line out across the top smoothly instead of being slightly elevated like the ceiling bits at the front, and the two immediately behind those are foundations as well, the textures match what foundations look like, which is considerably different than walls

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

GoGoGadget posted:

It'd be awesome if there were any legitimate counters to it besides handicapping yourself with weight, or if they couldn't just keep picking you up and dropping you until you eventually die no matter how many parachutes you have.
I can think of three counters off the top of my head: hide amongst large obstacles, kill the bird, kill the rider. Of course you have to do this *before* you are grabbed.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
I have an idea, and please bare with me. Why not let torches apply a burning affect that makes mounts throw there rider off? The torch is only mele range so it would only work on flyers that grab you and it could take a few hits to apply so it's not OP to ground mounts.

Edit: also it would make parachutes more useful because the rider would need one at all times to ensure they don't die from falling.

hey welcome to the show! fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Oct 4, 2015

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Why are my drat video drivers suddenly crashing whenever I try to start? Works fine yesterday, crashes today.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

GoGoGadget posted:

The "obvious" solution, IMO, is to just make carrying someone else very stamina-intensive. You get one shot before you have to go land and regen stamina.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

I mean if you really want to nerf birds, make them not be able to fly through tree foliage like in real life, or get tangled and fall and die if they fall through a parachute like in real life.

also in real life I can take bullets to the dome repeatedly

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Ruggan posted:

I mean if you really want to nerf birds, make them not be able to fly through tree foliage like in real life, or get tangled and fall and die if they fall through a parachute like in real life.

also in real life I can take bullets to the dome repeatedly

Um, I never said anything about making it like real life so I don't know where that attitude came from lol

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Dashing birds into terrain or structures should crush them like an egg.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

nelson posted:

I can think of three counters off the top of my head: hide amongst large obstacles, kill the bird, kill the rider. Of course you have to do this *before* you are grabbed.

One more: swim. Pubbies often crash the bird into water trying to grab swimmers, which dismounts them.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

GoGoGadget posted:

Um, I never said anything about making it like real life so I don't know where that attitude came from lol

You didn't but I did

I shouldn't be allowed to hover midair on a bird. I should be allowed to dive bomb the earth and misjudge when to pull up, smashing both of us on the surface

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Ruggan posted:

You didn't but I did

I shouldn't be allowed to hover midair on a bird. I should be allowed to dive bomb the earth and misjudge when to pull up, smashing both of us on the surface

Bird flight having gliding physics would be probably pretty amazing. Like you could glide or dive without using stamina, stamina cost for increasing height would increase as you lose momentum from the dive. It would redefine the bird game pretty hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Spanish Matlock posted:

Bird flight having gliding physics would be probably pretty amazing. Like you could glide or dive without using stamina, stamina cost for increasing height would increase as you lose momentum from the dive. It would redefine the bird game pretty hard.

unfortunately this isnt dwarf fortress so we're probably out of luck