Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Diogines posted:

Then you are in luck!

Diogines posted:

That would be Othniel. He had not come up before and by chance he is one of those you asked.

Many of the Melachim look like humans, some are Very Much Not and look like animals or strange other worldly things, some do have wings, most do not. Generally the weirder your local Melachim look the... stranger they are so you talk to them less. Othniel has wings which people just don't seem to notice and like some of the Melachim has a hint of supernatural beauty. Humans don't seem to notice his wings, he appears to be corporeal.

You had never met him before your Empowering but he did fight when the Horde of Night attacked your group on the way to Armanum. You are not certain but you think he was at Zepath on the Jubilee? You did have a number of Melachim at Kavodel but many, more, were in Zepath. You know that trying to gauge "power" of supernatural beings is tricky but sense he is one of the stronger Melachim and one of the relatively few both willing to fight and able to, aka one of your relatively few Fightachim. Most of your Melachim are either unable to put up much of a fight or unwilling to. His circlet appears to be mystical in nature.

The Melachim don't generally seem to like to talk to you about each other but you have a vague sense Obel does not like him and when you asked Zakiel about him he more diplomatically said "I am sure you can make up your own mind" whatever that means? Zakiel, Chait and Obel all seem to agree that they and each other are better fighters than Othniel. Puabi was less reserved in her words, as she usually is compared to the other Melachim and said "Othniel will get you entangled into problems you don't need and make a mess of things. You should not take his words seriously. Ishamal warned you not to expend your Well and many, and not simply my peers, have warned you about how taking on the problems of others tends to multiply, he may seek to take advantage of you without the Watchers here."

Hell yeah Othniel the Interventionist!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Honestly, I don't think this is "taking advantage of us" as much as he is the Melachim of Maximum Utility.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Yeah, he just doesn't value Zepathan lives over Random Donut lives and that's a really dangerous idea for an advisor to the King of Zepath.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

I mean Melachim with attitudes similar to his are the ones that hosed everything up to begin with, from wanting to being too intertwined–figuratively and literally–with mortals

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
If the Orm and Bat Demon (and possibly Good Boy) have taught us anything, it's that cranial accessories made of precious metals and jewels correlates to good fighters. Othniel might be a super fightachim that's been suppressing his power level.

Diogines posted:

That would be Jadhiel, son of Phares. You ask him if he can help tell you if they are being mentally manipulated and if so, what was done to them?

My answer in either direction may cause you to make war on them, which I is disagreeable to me. I will assist you with other matters Enkidel, but not in this.

There's two things I'm thinking here: He's either just ultra paranoid about ever being associated with war in any way, or he has an insight into mind control that others do not. If it's the former, fair enough. If it's the latter, he probably knows what's going down but can't tell us because we are still effectively a meat brain and it wouldn't make sense to us as anything other than mind control.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Freakazoid_ posted:

If the Orm and Bat Demon (and possibly Good Boy) have taught us anything, it's that cranial accessories made of precious metals and jewels correlates to good fighters. Othniel might be a super fightachim that's been suppressing his power level.

There's two things I'm thinking here: He's either just ultra paranoid about ever being associated with war in any way, or he has an insight into mind control that others do not. If it's the former, fair enough. If it's the latter, he probably knows what's going down but can't tell us because we are still effectively a meat brain and it wouldn't make sense to us as anything other than mind control.

Know how we always keep trying to rules lawyer, and try to learn by inference and omission what things are actually happening, which as a result means the Melachim not only don't want to answer our questions, they don't want to even say whether they're answering or not because not answering a question is something you could infer something with.

Dude wants us to quit bugging him

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Volmarias posted:

Know how we always keep trying to rules lawyer, and try to learn by inference and omission what things are actually happening, which as a result means the Melachim not only don't want to answer our questions, they don't want to even say whether they're answering or not because not answering a question is something you could infer something with.

Dude wants us to quit bugging him

Sadly, that has never stopped us and never will. The only thing that can stop Enkidel's question time is Diog warning us that we might run the risk of possibly facing a consequence if we pursue a line of inquiry too far.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I think we need to be realistic about what we will actually do.

We're not going to overtly be friends with a goblin king unless we're willing to shake up our society quite a lot.

We also have shown reluctance to intervene in protecting other cities unless there are strong ties, like Acco and Dor. Remember when Dor was second fiddle to Acco? The tables have turned because of strong connections.

The border of Ur is basically a feeding ground for Bnaimokt, slavers, the ocean, and who knows what else.

Given all of the above, what is the most rational course of action for Enkidel, servant of El, if he wants to stop humans getting enslaved at best, or turned into blue-juice smoothies for demons at worst?

Either: pretend the goblin king doesn't exist for now, he's holding some cities together and is an enemy of our biggest rival, the Bnaimokt (ocean is in another, scarier category).

Or: deal with him low-key through melachim/Paebel spy intermediaries.

Goblin genocide just weakens the borders of Ur. All things being equal our energy would be better spent doing many other things. There is an argument I am sympathetic to that we would be freeing Urians from slavery, or stopping some profane pantomime of worship by goblins of El, but unless we're willing to defend those cities ourselves, we're just condemning their populations to complete slavery, or the bluejuice smoothie for demons.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

pablo gbscobar posted:

I don't wanna see anyone kissing goblins... in bed with a goblin.

Huge loss that we didn't go with the gorgon-seducing beastmaster Enkidel

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Tsyni posted:

I think we need to be realistic about what we will actually do.

We're not going to overtly be friends with a goblin king unless we're willing to shake up our society quite a lot.

We also have shown reluctance to intervene in protecting other cities unless there are strong ties, like Acco and Dor. Remember when Dor was second fiddle to Acco? The tables have turned because of strong connections.

The border of Ur is basically a feeding ground for Bnaimokt, slavers, the ocean, and who knows what else.

Given all of the above, what is the most rational course of action for Enkidel, servant of El, if he wants to stop humans getting enslaved at best, or turned into blue-juice smoothies for demons at worst?

Either: pretend the goblin king doesn't exist for now, he's holding some cities together and is an enemy of our biggest rival, the Bnaimokt (ocean is in another, scarier category).

Or: deal with him low-key through melachim/Paebel spy intermediaries.

Goblin genocide just weakens the borders of Ur. All things being equal our energy would be better spent doing many other things. There is an argument I am sympathetic to that we would be freeing Urians from slavery, or stopping some profane pantomime of worship by goblins of El, but unless we're willing to defend those cities ourselves, we're just condemning their populations to complete slavery, or the bluejuice smoothie for demons.

Honestly, I'm just guessing that this whole time, there's a few bnaimokt back home going "Oh wow... they're buying it? This is actually working?! We painted some guys green and made them pretend to worship their God and that just makes no one ask questions? If I realized it was gonna be that easy I would h- Oh gently caress Enkidel just showed up.

WAIT HOLD UP is that the whole city of Zepath with him too?!?! Ugh, rotten luck I guess... Well, maybe the h- WAIT!... IS HE COOL WITH THIS SOMEHOW?! WHAT THE gently caress?! IS HE REALLY THAT GULLIBLE?!?!"

:orks::hf::orks101:

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Tsyni posted:

, but unless we're willing to defend those cities ourselves, we're just condemning their populations to complete slavery, or the bluejuice smoothie for demons.
Right, because surely these goblins aren't planning anything negative with these masses of potential human sacrifices next to the giant pit leading to the underdark.

DCBomB
Sep 14, 2008

Diogines posted:

That would be Jadhiel, son of Phares. You ask him if he can help tell you if they are being mentally manipulated and if so, what was done to them?

My answer in either direction may cause you to make war on them, which is disagreeable to me. I will assist you with other matters Enkidel, but not in this.

Yeah, fair enough. If you advised that any of these people were intentionally tempered with, there's a decent chance it would lead to war. I can respect your unwillingness here.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Ask Zagzagel for his opinion on this situation and what he thinks would be best to do

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Clearly we must craft a Sword that cuts through messy moral quandries.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Blasphemaster posted:

Clearly we must craft a Sword that cuts through messy moral quandries.

The sword of "DAVID, I'M COMING TO SAVE YOU," it splits moral quandaries and the people who cause them in twain thus solving the problem.

it also throws your children into the lake

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011

Diogines posted:

My answer in either direction may cause you to make war on them, which I is disagreeable to me. I will assist you with other matters Enkidel, but not in this.

You are not certain but suspect Jadhiel is probably the best expert when it comes to mental matters of all of the Melachim? He also appears to be a pacifist. You tried to recruit him to go investigate the goblins the first time and he said politely declined you then as well. You may recall he helped you determine if a man who slew another was mentally ill, he also helped Uriah after he was attacked by the bat-demon and tended to a number of other people. So he is certainly willing to help, but seems totally opposed towards involving himself in anything related to violence?

There are probably other Melachim who can do it, like Puabi, if you want to give them resources like Shards of Nephesh, or more time? Other Melachim who were willing to help gave you a response after examining the family they rescued?

I actually want to stop for a second with this guy and explain to him that we are trying to make the best decision for everyone involved here. Yes, I know that it will require the support of others, that's why this is bolded.

Personally, I don't think we directly need to go to war with these guys. For several practical reasons, not even getting into moral quandries yet, we are not really in a position to consider open warfare anyways. What is going to be important is understanding how they are handling their human population and whether or not they ultimately intend to use them as sacrifices the way that Bnaimokt would do. It is absolutely within our abilities to arrange a situation that would allow for the humans involved to flee and be rescued without armed conflict if such were the case.

If it turns out not to be the case, then we simply leave them be and let El's will be done. It needs to be stressed that our concern here is for the very real souls of these people regardless of how they are choosing to live their lives otherwise.

If it turns out that it is the case, we can simply do similarly as we did in Karnak and take care of the problem subtly, without waging open warfare. We will not be involving mortals in this process as much as is possible to minimize the possibility of any individual person, goblinoid or otherwise, coming to harm.

ArbitraryTA fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 13, 2024

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
I'm not sure there's a way to talk him out of this one because he is fundamentally right. Every single person we've asked so far has been in the context of 'does this mean we need to intervene more aggressively?', and he is correctly assessing that.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Here's another point; El is not shy about telling us when he actually wants something, especially when it comes to worship and worship-adjacent subjects.

We prayed to him to throw the Orm a bone, and he made it pretty clear that we got One warning not to do that again lest we get smote.

The one giant tried to pay lip service to El and got murdered by birds.

He had a Melachim tell us during our first trip through the Donut to let that one king know that his invasion was forfeit because his guys sacked a church and that he could either leave or face consequences.

And then we watched the consequences happen.

If he wants us to do something about goblins worshipping him, he will make sure we know in clear "These are orders from on high" terms.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Sure, but correspondingly we didn't get any kind of message from El to get involved in Karnak, which is something I think we all agree he wanted. It's what got him to claim us in the end, even. Relying on or expecting El to respond/order us to do anything is a fools errand and we should really, really, REALLY stop asking him.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Zodiac5000 posted:

Sure, but correspondingly we didn't get any kind of message from El to get involved in Karnak, which is something I think we all agree he wanted. It's what got him to claim us in the end, even. Relying on or expecting El to respond/order us to do anything is a fools errand and we should really, really, REALLY stop asking him.

:hmmyes:

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Yeah, what we're actually doing with this whole investigation and checking in with everyone is seeing if we can stumble on a single trigger point that will make the Goblin Civ's name turn from white to red. Like if we find out they're eating people.

I started out in favor of letting the goblins be but I find these extremely charming envoys who always dance around the trigger points suspicious. They will give us no provocation and happily stall is while we look for a convincing enough reason to act, right until they ritually sacrifice the entire population to fuel a death laser or revive an ancient Kaiju.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Asking El is entirely reasonable. Acting in a way that boosts El's position is one of our mainstays: Save humans, eliminate pretender claims, safeguard temples.

El's silence behooves us to use our own best judgment, but it is important to remember that El is not always silent. When we asked clemency for the Orm, El's word was made abundantly clear.

The fact it isn't, in this case, gives me pause.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Two big differences for the Orm:

1. We actually sacrificed an object of power in the form of a false idol. Messages probably take Nepesh, but we paid for the call. The cows aren't cutting it.

2. The Orm mind whammied our Well. That's potentially a crisis that whoever is managed us was worried about. For whatever reason cities being eaten and alien Civ's in the Donut are lower on the priority list than Enkidel being compromised.

On point 1, it may even be true that El does not hear all prayers. We need a big flame for our message to even break through the noise.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

I dunno it seems clear to me.

Sometimes El directly wants something, he lets us know pretty clearly.

Other times we do stuff and he's pleased but wouldn't mind if we did something else instead.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

TheCog posted:

Right, because surely these goblins aren't planning anything negative with these masses of potential human sacrifices next to the giant pit leading to the underdark.

And none of our melachim can find a sign of it, and they sent an envoy to draw attention to themselves.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but kudos to them for playing 7th dimensional chess against Enkidel.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Tsyni posted:

And none of our melachim can find a sign of it, and they sent an envoy to draw attention to themselves.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but kudos to them for playing 7th dimensional chess against Enkidel.

the bnaimokt running the whole operation, who cannot believe their luck posted:

:dance:

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

We would like to update you but this is not even remotely a promise that we actually will. We will do our best.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
Apropos of nothing, I'd love to get a picture one day of what it's actually like in the underdark. It's easy to shunt it out of mind as 'caves, underground tunnels, bad things live there' and never think of it, but it's pretty clear there are whole civilizations that live down there. Civilizations of monsters sure, often crude and primitive absolutely. But this Bochica came from underground, and has several cultures of monstrous species living under his thumb in a legitimate society. The bug-guys like Once-Consort etc. seem to have massive hive colonies in the underground, maybe spread throughout the world. Are there whole cities underground? An entire Underdark Ur that just goes about its business underground and never meaningfully interacts with the surface? A great world of underground politics we're completely unaware of? Underdark Melachim we could be wrangling and subjecting to endless question-time? What are their perspectives on things? Do they worry about Asherah, or are they concerned with the big always-watching power we once felt deep under the earth?

Think of all the lore possibilities! We may have only, ahem, scratched the surface so far.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Tadmor was El calling in the service we promised him, the Orm was Enkidel taking a self-proclaimed god as anything other than a large target, and Goliath (iirc) was a lying cannibal from a society that it's pretty clear El hates.

Karnak is a good example. El made men with free will and was greatly pleased we liberated it, but leaving it alone would have certainly hurt our esteem in his eyes. At some point you have to let your children make their own choices, even if they are wrong ones.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

ETA 30sh minutes? Less? A little more?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

[…]

You tell Gaham, son of Aziel that you are not making war on the goblins today, but neither are you ready to secretly make them your friends. The man sighs slightly and says…

“It will be as you desire it to be. It is my hope that in time you can come to understand the affection that our people have for yours, and of our desire to unite against the common foe.”

Time passes.

You are not a young man anymore and have seen a lot of rather strange things in your life but today will probably be a new first when you are woken one morning by a knock on your door. One of your servants answers it and then pokes a head into your and says “One of the Chairmen is here to see you.” If one is here to see you at this hour it is probably something important? You rise from your bed trying to not wake Naomi who is still sleeping, and Snarls who has been up for a while and is just FILLED with joy to see you finally moving around because that means...

Time to play! Time to play!

He excitedly leaps up on his hind legs to try to lick you, you rub his wrinkly head and say shhhh so he does not wake Naomi, maybe you can play later...

Sad!

Oh don’t give me that puppy dog face! There are plenty of people who would LOVE to play, go find some of them!

Okay!

And so Snarls sets off to go make the days of some children very, very happy. Though that is another tale… your tale, today at least involves someone coming to your home early in the morning. You hastily grab some kind of garment and find one of your servants has let a Chairman into your home, Tudya, son of Naval, who says to you “Um, Magistrate. Sorry to get here to early. There is some men at the city gate with a bear who came to see you.”

A what?

“A bear.”

I just wanted to be sure I heard you the first time, alright, give me a few minutes to get properly dressed...

[...]

You did know that a delegation of men from Nephtarah would be coming but did not expect them to be here today, or to arrive with…

A bear dressed sitting in the back of in colorful garb which is laying on its paws in the back of a large cart, it looks tired. A bear which is not obviously chained or destroyed in any way besides a leash which one of the men from Nephtarah is holding and which definitely does not look like it would stop a large animal from escaping. A number of your Tower Guard are at a safe distance keeping away the growing crowd. One of the Tower Guard sees you and says “Magistrate, they said they came to see you but we weren’t going to let them into the city with a wild animal.”

Over a hundred well armed men and a number of carts are also there, soldiers to guard the envoys? Some of the foreigners are dressed rather fancifully and probably decadently by Kavodel standards, no, some of them are DEFINITELY dressed decadently by Kavodel standards, their servants seem more modestly dressed, the most ornately dressed of them wearing attire far too ornate to actually travel with (he probably changed when he got here?) says...

“...Magistrate! I assure you, Bright Boy isn’t a danger to anyone! He is our gift for you, we brought for the Zuu as a housewarming present to welcome you to the neighborhood! Just for you! I spared no expense, I assure you, he is as gentle as a lamb, aren’t you Bright Boy?”

The bear looks towards the richly dressed man and opens his mouth with a yawn and makes a bear-noise-of-indistinct-meaning which is not obviously aggressive?

The apparent leader of the men looks back towards you smiling and says “It is a pleasure, I must say a pleasure to meet you in the flesh!” With both of his hands(which you may notice have an immaculate manicure, if stained with ink in places) and enthusiastically shakes your hand with them while them while saying “I am Beri, son of Thahash of House Thahash, perhaps you have heard of me?” You cautiously say to the very enthusiastic man that you are afraid not…?

“Why of course not! You are too busy building Asawheels, slaying demons and saving the world! My apologies! My apologies! You must forgive me, you have long been a fascination of mine! But I don’t imagine you know our city well? I am first and foremost a patron of the ARTS for which I find my greatest joy and I dare say a small bit of a Potter myself, cousin of the King and yes I am afraid the richest man in Nephtarah but I am sure you won’t hold that against me, haha!”

I… won’t, well you said you wanted to speak with me so… come on in I suppose? You look to one of the Tower Guard and say “Keep an eye on the bear.”

The man walks over to the bear and says “Daddy will be back soon!” and plants a kiss on the top of the placid looking bear’s head. The man then looks back towards you and says “He is always sleepy after breakfast” and so you lead the man and his entourage to the city, one of the men, one of the more plainly dressed men pauses as you pass a small Asawheel in the midst of its construction and just… stares as it as if transfixed. Beri says “Come along now! We have plenty of time for that later!” The other man says “Uh, yes your Grace.”

Eventually you arrive at the palace, which is where you decided you want to meet with foreign envoys, though some part of you, some Zepathan part deep in your soul probably can’t bear to sit on an actual throne, so instead you pass through the throne room and sit in a nice room adjacent to it.

Beri explains that “I remember some years ago a friend of an acquaintance made it all the way towards your neck of the woods in Kavodel. This was some years back and I was only a boy at the time but he told me of all he had seen, of your wonderful Asawheels, of the Zuu, a city where EVERY man could read and write and the Laybury! Absolutely astounding! Oh and the Potters, the Potters! Absolutely delightful! I needed only take a glance around the marvelous things your people have made on the way here to know everything I was told was true! In Nephtarah we pride ourselves as men of learning and lovers of art and culture and I dare say we have no grand temple of knowledge as great as the Potetarium but our instrument makers are second to none, our gold of the finest purity and we even have certain uh…” he smiles as he leans in conspiratorially and whispers “...certain rarer treats.”

Oh? What would those be?

Still smiling as he has leaned in he has “As a man of great learning I am sure you will be delighted to know! Technically the King has custody of them but my dear cousin will do whatever I ask of him, he knows I only have the best interests of the city at heart. Charts of the heavens of course, meticulously kept and protected for many, many long years!”

While the House of El does not formally ban studying the stars, you know it is not… something they exactly encourage, especially due to its strong connection with fortune telling and star-based-mysticism, which is also not something men are supposed to do. Beri seems to think that as a man of great learning YOU will find such an offer tremendously attractive, that he is offering you rare and valuable knowledge? Men in Ur don't believe it is impossible to read the stars or read the future or do other cryptic forms of "magic", rather, it is not something you are SUPPOSED to do.

You talk to him for a while and excuse yourself for a time to speak privately with Nabonassar what he can tell you of this man and of the city of Nephtarah. Nabonassar tells you that…

“The city of Nephtarah is extremely rich, but not only from their gold mines. When the various… troubles began to arise in recent generations, they took their gold and bought soldiers and mercenaries instead and are one of the only cities still trading widely as they did in my grandfather’s days, bandits and marauders can do little against them. I cannot say with certainty why Lahmi, the king of Kelashin has not taken so rich a city, for surely he could, but I would wager it is because it would disrupt trade so greatly and displease his subject kings enough that it is not worth the trouble. Or perhaps he has simply not gotten around to it yet? So that is what the city is known for best I suppose, their gold, their far-traveling-traders… and of course the witches.”

Witches?

“There have long been rumors that there are witches living in the city and that they perform unholy rights under the stars. That there are astrologers in the city is true, I cannot speak as to the witches. I must fear I have not seen them myself My King, but I have been told that in recent years that they have come to openly worship the Melachim, which surely cavorts with calamity?”

You quietly send for Paebel, who you tasked with “keeping an eye out for anything strange” in Zepath and nearby cities, though you leave your wider and more mundane spy operations to Keros, son of Shenshai whom you surely recall is a merchant whose family have been your friends for four generations. Paebel, what can you tell me about Weird Stuff going on in Nephtarah?

“I would say a city given over to Melachim worship is pretty weird alright. It is absolutely true. I don’t know exactly how it happened but as best as the men I sent were able to figure out a number of years ago they had a bad drought and “sought guidance” from Badoma in a way which was totally not worship and later a pestilence popped up and they “sought guidance” from Marnal and the pestilence went away and things just grew and grew. Now you have men with idols in their homes, a temple, an actual temple to Xuriel and a bunch of other small shrines. The temple of El is still running and the priests there are not happy about the situation. You can buy “magical” talismans in the city market for every ailment and malady, fake magical parchments to bless you or curse your enemies or make a woman fall in love and other nonsense which I don’t think is real.”

Do you think there is anything to it?

“I honestly doubt it. I think it is just people looking for new assurances in troubling times and it just grew from there? Oh and you did not ask about it, but their city are full of assholes. Sure they support themselves with trade but they also buy a lot of slaves and toss them into their gold mines. From what I have heard so far they are not doing anything particularly depraved with them, more than you know, throwing a man into a pit to dig until his back gives out.”

How confident are you that there isn't actually any secret demon worship or real magic going on behind closed doors there?

"Not very? I did not find any signs of anything but we have not been at this for that long either. People are selling fake magic amulets in the market and worshiping Melachim, the city is definitely strange but Melachim worship has sprouted up in other places as well. I SUSPECT there is nothing to it but I don't really know, if they have an Anaki or something in their palace i'd have no idea."

[…]

Eventually you return to speak with Beri and ask what he has in mind?

“Why a sharing of art and culture of course! I would invite you to send a number of men to our homes to study from our painters and poets and… other learned men-” he says that last bit with a smile, he probably means their astrologers “-and in exchange I would like to send some bright young men here to
study at the Potetarium and perhaps learn how to make an Asawheel or two?” He smiles and holds his hand wide then clasps them together excitedly as he says “Both of our people’s shall be enriched by a glorious mingling of arts and culture!”

Well… it isn’t often that a foreigner comes to trade with you and is NOT asking you to put them into political power but it sounds like they seem to think they can just… trade you some knowledge about their local arts (and astrological secrets?) in exchange for… knowledge of your arts... culture… and closely guarded economic and military secrets? Well he did bring a fancy bear? Does that count for anything?

You can freely talk with anyone you want to do about these issues. Normal rules apply.

The other people with Beri are other noblemen, servants and self styled "Potters". And just in case you were confused, no, no one has ever called Lefkandi's Worship, which is usually just called "The Potter's Workshop" or more commonly "THE Workshop", the "Potetarium", you have no idea where he got that from?

1. Do you want to accept Bright Boy the Bear as a gift?

The Zuu has yet to be “formally” recreated in that most of the animals are still at Dor, but some of the former Zuu workers, without your patronage in fact, have declared a plot of land that they claimed to be The Zuu, without any money or help from you and stocked it with a bunch of cute farm animals and a few wild animals like deer, for now at least there is nothing remotely dangerous in there, in the past you did not keep dangerous animals in the Zuu. The selection is far poorer than it used to be but some adventurous men and youths are already collecting animals, it probably won't be restored to its former splendor until Dor arrives.

“He can do tricks, tumble and even sing!”

A. I keep the bear. It will make a FINE addition to the Zuu! I allocate appropriate resources to make sure it does not maul anyone.
B. I politely decline. A bear is… not an appropriate animal for the Zuu.
C. I accept… and sacrifice it to El! A bear that can do tricks and sing is a rare animal. Sure it isn’t a demon but its probably more notable than a cow? I accept and sacrifice it to El. After Beri has left.
D. C., and I sacrifice the bear WITH Beri present. Maybe I am sending some kind of message about disliking Doughnut Decadence, or just trying to scare him?
E. Something else? What? Fill in.

2. Do you want to actually share economic and military secrets with the men of Nephtarah and through them, probably, the rest of Ur?

For reference, either through outright theft, espionage or possibly traitors from your own people both Dor and Acco have learned what might be classified as a number of “economic” secrets over the years, which is to say things like improvements in agriculture and some VERY basic improvements on forges, you have, somehow, managed to keep a lock on your Highly Advanced Forging Methods, at least for now.

As you of course know, the forges from Kavodel and Zepath are very probably the most advanced anywhere in Ur, at least besides PERHAPS the Great City of Kothar which claims to have Labaras’s forge and Baitel, which probably has Ancient Wondrous Forging Stuff hidden away? Baring that, there is a reasonably decent chance your people have the best forges in Ur, at least mundane ones anyway? Some places in Ur might have more mystical forges locked away from prying eyes? Though in Zepath those with the most cutting edge designs are fairly limited in number. Some of your most basic improvements have spread further, though men in Dor and Acco who know of them don’t seem very eager to spread them beyond their own cities, either for fear of your anger or because they want to maintain their own advantage?

F. Yes. I want to share Serious Economic and Military Secrets. I can expect their great friendship, all of their Astrological materials and whatever other secrets they may be squirreled away and the great love of House Thahash, who have contacts in many noble families in the region as well as mercantile ones all over the place.
G. I have decided not to share Serious Economic and Military Secrets.
H. Something else. What? Fill in.

3. Would you like to offer an exchange of artists and poets and musicians?
I. Sure. This will probably foster some good will and friendship. It is also a chance for me to spy on Nephtarah more easily... and them to spy on Zepath as well?
Ja. I, and I share some information about literacy. They know of Kavodel style writing but their efforts to actually implement them are primitive at best. I send some men to help teach them how to make better parchments and quills and inks to help them spread writing, my style of writing. These are widely known in Dor and Acco.
Ka. J., but the classical style of writing instead.

Jb. No. I have decided that the value of their “arts and culture” are not worth it. They may take a lot of pride in their own arts but we have a bunch of actually Blooded artists in Zepath, I don’t think these people have much to offer.

Kb. Try to convince them to accept some of your artists to study there, but try to come up with an excuse why they can’t send men to study in Zepath. You are doing this to try to spy on them easier.

L. (Add on) I don't like the idea of foreigners who seem SO excited about learning things we keep secret. Paebel, I want you to keep a closer eyes specifically on keeping these foreigners from spying on our forges and workshops. If you want to ask Paebel to do this he can, but it will come at a cost to his other spying efforts.
M. (Add on) I don't like the idea of foreigners who seem SO excited about learning things we keep secret. I treat men from Nephtarah differently, they can trade but are not allowed in the city itself, and are to be especially kept away from Asawheels.
N. (Add on) I don't like the idea of foreigners who seem SO excited about learning things we keep secret. I treat men from Nephtarah differently, they are are simply not allowed anywhere near the Roc's Nest.

O. Something else, fill in.

4. Do you accept Beri's last request?

"We have heard many stories of your heroic deeds and slaying of demons! It would be an absolute delight to send some poets to accompany a few of your heroic sorts around on their daring escapades to chronicle their deeds and ensure they are memorialized in song and story!"

P. ...sure? If Beri wants to send a bunch of artists to follow around Zepathan adventurers and soldiers they can.

Q. No. I explicitly forbid them from doing so. It is not entirely clear if this is actually in your Kingly power, what power do you have to forbid men of your city from associating with foreigners? None the less, you forbid it. You will probably be obeyed. Some of the Conservative faction and some others may find this tyrannical, some other conservatives probably hate foreigners enough that they approve, some, especially younger generations may like the attention and admiration? It is tough to know exactly how people will feel about this.

R. I discourage it but don't ban it.

S. I don't explicitly give permission and I don't explicitly withhold it either. What poets from Nephtarah do with the free men of Zepath is between them.

T. Something else. Fill in.

[...]

Discord Link if you want to join us to chat: https://discord.gg/w4az9EGt

The channel is CannibalKingofZepath.

If by the time you try the link it has expired, please message me for a new one, or post in the thread asking! Discord has them expire periodically for reasons beyond our control and indeed, beyond the understanding of mere mortal men.

[...]

Travic's Awesome Index: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3550307&pagenumber=4080&perpage=40#post473373440

Diogines fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 14, 2024

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
1. B
2. G
3. Jb
4. S

Yeah, uh... thanks for coming, please leave along with your melachim worship that will get you smote.

Thanks.

TheCog fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 14, 2024

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
A, D is monstrous lol
GI, I don't really care about them spying on miscellaneous things and if they hit serious strategic secrets despite the agreement we'll just execute them, nbd
P don't really care if some unblooded donut bards follow our dudes around

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

1. A

2. G

3. IL

4. S

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

We had some letter duplicates, unfortunately. We now have Ja, Jb, Ka and Kb.

We had two Js and two Ks.

If you did not vote for those then you do not have anything to worry about.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

1. E talk to the bear, time to let everyone in Ur know what kind of special idiot we are. I assume it's drugged, see if it's able to even talk to us. If so, I'm not sure what to ask about but duck it, free bear chat.

2. G lol :fuckoff:

3. O, L we can do an exchange of a few people who actually want to go, but the best artists are also probably our best fighters. Just make sure whoever they send doesn't start looking around too deeply, asawheels or otherwise

4. S we don't forbid it, but we do let him know that we don't get the chance to go adventuring much anymore so there's no point in following us around. If some others from Zepath are ok with having you tag along on adventures, sure, I guess? That's really up to whichever Zepathans want to let someone tag along though, and no means no, especially with heavily armed veterans of a good many monster hunts.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
A
F
Ja
S

“Do you like cats?”

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
1E See if we can interact with Bright Boy and discern its preferences.

2H Case by case basis. There are surely things we know that can improve lives but have no military applications. Perhaps share our secret ‘no slaves’ mining management techniques as a way to help the miners.

3Ja

4S Forbidding it would be tyrannical, as would mandating it. Let them agree or not as they see fit.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Nyaa posted:

“Do you like cats?”

"I prefer dogs. Such as the Mighty Snarls!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Tuskins
Jul 27, 2007

I couldn't imagine life without the beautiful sight of the green horde
B
G
Jb
R

We should not have anything to do with melachim worshippers unless we are there tearing down their heathen temples. We should make that very clear to this guy.