Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
What's the best way to deal with Lemuria as LA Atlantis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

-Troika- posted:

The cheapest ice weapons you have + arsetoots if you got the bless. You'll tear through Lemuria no problems.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
You also have Dust to Dust access and Wither Bones if necessary for picking Lemuria thugs. I recommend Wind Guide if you're using Dust.

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

Just had an incredibly frustating experience as MA Arcos in a MP game and I'm hoping for some pointers. All of these are issues I ran into the in the first year and a half of the game, so I'm looking for answers that can reasonably be attained in that time period.

1) Every time I run into Ulm in a MP game they are pumping out armies every turn that are what would take me 3-4 turns to produce. My elephants won me some early fights but the sheer numbers of reinforcing armies are something I could not compete with.

2)After a couple battles where my elephants routed Ulm, they moved their whole army to the rear of the field and used small groups of knights to tie my spear and elephant line up for AOE spells, and my dudes rout before their actual chaff line gets in range of my Mages. How do you counter a rear-deploy tactic? Moving my mages closer to the front seems like a good way to get them all killed with one Blade Wind.

3) In general I feel like I'm often way behind on everyone else in army size, but I already feel so strapped for gold in the early game trying to get research and site searching going that I don't know how dropping other scales to increase Prod would actually get me better results. Should I not be trying to use all my fort turns on mages in the first couple years?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

LordLeckie posted:

Im so glad that both LA and MA Ctis are right near one another in Grandpas closet, nigh identical flags, now they must fight to the death to see who is the TRUE CTIS.

Nah we decided to be lizardbros instead and form a gigantic history-spanning empire of dead and poisonous lizards.

-Troika- posted:

All your dudes have magic weapons so literally anything.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Cross-posting from the signups thread an idea for a game setup I've heard and would like to see developed on.

A Disciples game with experienced players acting as mentors and team leaders to less experienced players, working together on a larger strategy as a way to learn more in-depth about the game as well as from general experience, could help develop some cross-level learning and also be a fun way to keep experimenting with team game mechanics.

Depending on the interest, could be one mentor to one or two players in equal teams of 2 or 3, around 8 or 12 players?

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Sign me up as a disciple!

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I'd be up for that as a disciple too.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Games come about because someone is willing to do the not-insignificant busywork to get them going. If you think it's a good idea and are willing to take on the role of game admin, then go ahead and arrange for a server and take signups in PGS. e: Regardless of setup games pretty much fill in a week, usually a lot quicker, so interest checks are pretty much all going to be "yes please"

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
From IRC:
code:
20:45   ILoveYouu	 skellyspam is good especially when i had lot of lizards who knew no other career paths
20:45	ZeroCount	 careerpaths
20:46	goon		 the ancestral trade
20:46	goon		 lizards who do it in every age
20:46	JuvenalianSatyr  What his daddy did, and his gran-daddy before him, all the way to Old Man Lizard himself
20:47	ZeroCount	 rebellious young lizard with nature paths
20:49	ILoveYouu	 i took one astral when i was young, it was an experimenting phase for me
20:49	JuvenalianSatyr	 That was definitely a bad idea
20:50	JuvenalianSatyr	 It's like alcoholism. You never stop being an Astral mage, and one day it'll come back to Feeblemind you.
20:50	ILoveYouu	 i still dip into communions from time to time, mostly after the kids go to bed
20:50	TOAOAfroSquirrel You'll be doing Magic Duels in the back alleys, and one day your luck runs out
20:50	ZeroCount	 man that poo poo is bad for you
20:50	JuvenalianSatyr	 Are you a slave or a master, or do you prefer to switch?
20:50	ZeroCount	 And you have kids?
20:51	ILoveYouu	 somethings they ask Daddy Daddy were you always a death mage? and im like, yeah kids, your mom and i met at, 
			 uh, the sarcophaguses and poo poo
20:51	ZeroCount	 One of the guys I knew in high school got into astral in a big way
20:51	ILoveYouu	 No we didnt go to burning lizard
20:51	ZeroCount	 Ended up dying just to feed some enslave communion
20:51	ZeroCount	 wasnt worth it
20:51	TOAOAfroSquirrel someone needs to save this for the thread
20:51	willus		 astral: not even once
20:52	ENesbit		 once shot astral into my eyeball
20:52	Maerlande	 You know.
20:52	ENesbit		 no regrets
20:53	Maerlande	 Flavahbeast:  The SAvstheWorld game is going bad for you.
20:53	ZeroCount	 Gotta be careful with that nesbit
20:53	Maerlande	 Just saying.
20:53	ZeroCount	 Have you seen what happens when people inject fire into their eyes?
20:53	ZeroCount	 !item vanilla Ruby Eye

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Man, I've been comparing troops like crazy in the Inspector, and Mictlan not only have their wtfopness bless troops, even their regular average troops are very cost effective, because they are a bit cheaper than they should be (in comparison with other nations). An EA warrior with 10 in every stat including prot except defence 12, with spear and ranged sling just 9 gold / 6 res?? It should be 10g/10res (or at minimum, 9res). Which it seems a pittance of difference, but if someone is recruiting full armies of them in every fort every turn, the difference is notable.

edit: they have move 1 instead of 2, I didn't see at first, but it isn't so bad. Which so many special provinces (forests, swaps, mountains, wastelands, etc) most armies end up moving just 1 province/turn.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Feb 9, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Move 1 is actually pretty big; unless you get buttfucked by the map it's usually possible to set up 'corridors' with forts\roads and open provinces that you can use to quickly send dudes around inside your territory.

It might not justify the cost differential but map move 1 is definitely an issue when defending.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
Thanks for the replies about pretender expansion. How would you guys go about playing LA Man? I gave them a shot because I like the flavour and I'm doing alright, but I'm at a roadblock breaking into Vanheim and Gath's cap while fending off Marignon. It's relatively early days and I've done alright so far with wind guided longbows behind tower guard but haven't got much direction beyond that. I have gold sites out the rear end and decent scales and a crone with varied paths. I suspect crossbows are more sensible LA without flaming arrows?

Curse of stones sounded pretty good in my last climactic loss at the Van cap but they didn't give no fucks. I really enjoy feeling my way in this game though.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Curse of stones can be resisted, and it can take a while for its effects to be noticeable.

Try building small communions to cast evocations.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

Thanks for the replies about pretender expansion. How would you guys go about playing LA Man? I gave them a shot because I like the flavour and I'm doing alright, but I'm at a roadblock breaking into Vanheim and Gath's cap while fending off Marignon. It's relatively early days and I've done alright so far with wind guided longbows behind tower guard but haven't got much direction beyond that. I have gold sites out the rear end and decent scales and a crone with varied paths. I suspect crossbows are more sensible LA without flaming arrows?

Curse of stones sounded pretty good in my last climactic loss at the Van cap but they didn't give no fucks. I really enjoy feeling my way in this game though.

Pump out as many Magister arcana you can, go storm --> Thunderstruck spam. The only hard counters are earthquake/rain of stones. And you have F2 mages, so you can cast flaming arrows by casting phoenix power and then using an extra gem to get a +1 path for that spell. Longbows backed by tower guard is good, make sure you have your tower guard taking advantage of their crossbows and wind guide. Also flaming arrows works on crossbows (it works on all non-magical projectiles, actually. Some conflict with other on-hit effects thought, although they may have fixed that.)

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

TheDemon posted:

I only have one Dominions 4 vid up, but you could take a look at my stream archive where I stream a few duel games. Dominions 3 plays the same way Dom4 does so most of the archived vids should be a fairly good demo.

These were very good, you should do more of them because it is very informative and interesting watching you play. Also I expected you to be an old rear end man.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
If a stealth army (say a pack of Atavi from Lanka) attacks a province in the middle of enemy territory and is forced to retreat, are they wiped out like other armies retreating into hostile territory, or do they just re-stealth?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

They die. You can't under any circumstances retreat through enemy territory. Sneaky fuckers, birdmen and teleporting Buddha thingies are not exempt.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Siddha dying on retreat is so very silly.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
So, for Pythium Communicants, besides using them as a spare battery, is there anything else I can have them doing before I send them off to fuel my Archtheurgs?

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

Neruz posted:

For teleporting units it doesn't make much sense in game terms but the surrounded army rule for absolutely everything is a) probably hardcoded and b) there to prevent uncounterable/exploitative strategies.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Donkringel posted:

So, for Pythium Communicants, besides using them as a spare battery, is there anything else I can have them doing before I send them off to fuel my Archtheurgs?

I forget if they have any leadership at all, but unless they can ferry around a handful of elites, no. They are unable to research or sitesearch or forge.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Neruz posted:

If they lost, then obviously they weren't truly an enlightened Buddha. Thus, the universe takes away their immortality and puts them back on The Path of Rebirth. :smug:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Speaking of rebirth does anyone have even the faintest idea how White One Reincarnation works? I've seen plenty of white ones of all kinds; warriors, tiger riders, gurus etc die and I cannot recall seeing anything reincarnationy happening.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Neruz posted:

Speaking of rebirth does anyone have even the faintest idea how White One Reincarnation works? I've seen plenty of white ones of all kinds; warriors, tiger riders, gurus etc die and I cannot recall seeing anything reincarnationy happening.

My understanding is that they have to die from non-battle related causes, since violence is a stain on the soul that prevents moving to a higher existence. Or it's hard-coded that way, I don't know. Dying from BoT, assassin spells, or during retreats may trigger the events.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Can the Wound Fend amulet help prevent old age afflictions on dudes too? I'm tired of my mages going senile on the front lines. :negative:

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Donkringel posted:

Well they are cheap sacreds. See how far a tri bless communicant thug strategy will get you :black101:

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Would Rust Mist + Blade Wind shred armor or does Blade Wind not hit hard enough? I'm up against an earth bless army of Palankashas (probably ~50-75 and then an extra 100+ chaff) as Agartha and figure if Blade Wind is going to do anything to the Palankashas I'll have to reduce their protection somehow.

Other advice is welcome. It's a newb game and we all pretty much suck.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

boho posted:

Would Rust Mist + Blade Wind shred armor or does Blade Wind not hit hard enough? I'm up against an earth bless army of Palankashas (probably ~50-75 and then an extra 100+ chaff) as Agartha and figure if Blade Wind is going to do anything to the Palankashas I'll have to reduce their protection somehow.

H3 banish spam + tons of penumbrals. Banish spam will kill your own guys too but c'est la vie. Penumbras should be able to tank palankasha for a while because life drain keeps their health up and ethereal means the palankasha don't hit much. You'll still need a lot. Like all your cap only guys banishing and 30+ penumbrals + some regular blockers.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

boho posted:

Would Rust Mist + Blade Wind shred armor or does Blade Wind not hit hard enough?
blade wind+rust seems like an obvious combo but IIRC rusted armor is only destroyed by melee hits, or at least it was in D3, but it's possible I'm remembering wrong or they changed it

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

builds character posted:

H3 banish spam + tons of penumbrals. Banish spam will kill your own guys too but c'est la vie. Penumbras should be able to tank palankasha for a while because life drain keeps their health up and ethereal means the palankasha don't hit much. You'll still need a lot. Like all your cap only guys banishing and 30+ penumbrals + some regular blockers.

Sounds like its time to break the seal and get 200+ umbrals and penumbrals.

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

boho posted:

Funnily enough, I went up against more or less this exact matchup in my last game as Agartha. The extra prot will diminish its effectiveness, but bladewind is still going to punch through occasionally, plus it'll really whittle down the chaff. That said, no matter how many guys you have casting it, it won't win you the battle.

Seal Guards +indie heavy infantry in a mixed unit will hold up the enemy surprisingly well, and depending on your bless the Seal Guards might even get a couple of kills too, moreso if you're casting earth grip/maws of the earth, though obviously they're all going to die. Curse of stones can be a battle winning spell, (or not, if they resist) but the real superstar is the Living Mercury summon.

Hopefully you haven't just been massing engravers all game, and hopefully you've done some site searching, because if you have the earth readers and the gems saved up to pump out Living Mercuries, they can be beastly. Set them to hold and attack, and have a bunch of casters on hand to cover them in legion of steel/the first ironskin other spell/strength of giants and voila, you've got at least a couple of protection 23 hp 48 MR 17 poison cloud units with no fatigue that take half damage against everything in melee and can kill anything but a giant in one hit, which you should be able to help them do with earth grip type spells. Their poison cloud is no joke though, so make sure your regular units don't come into contact with for as long as possible.

Palankashas will fatigue a lot against them, even with an earth bless. If you have any indie astral mages, having the mage cast Body Ethereal on them is also good, and using an N1 indie mage to cast protection ain't a terrible idea either. Basically, living mercuries can hold up the front line for quite awhile, and they're not affected by banishment at all, so even if you can only get a small group of them, they're very useful.

I wouldn't send Penumbrals against Palankashas--Umbrals for sure, but probably only on one flank, especially if you're going for mass banish/banish demon.

Smerdyakov fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Feb 11, 2014

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

So, how much chance there is from being horror marked when using a tainted item like Soul Contract?

How horror marks work, in general?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Turin Turambar posted:

So, how much chance there is from being horror marked when using a tainted item like Soul Contract?
Depends on the item, but typically 2%, I think?

Horror marking isn't a flat 0/1 thing, either, it can build over time to be more dangerous.

quote:

How horror marks work, in general?
OK in battles it makes it more likely Horrors will attack you, and eventually if you are horror marked, a Horror will attack that character at some point even on the 'strategic' map. It's a 1v1 contest and is incredibly dangerous, especially for Pretenders and anyone in the Top 10/15 commanders list, since even if Horrors fail to kill that commander, they will inflict further horror marks with most of their attacks. There is no way to remove them.

So use the shittiest N1 mages to research with Lightless Lanterns and don't expect them to live while attacked by horrors. Appreciate the cheap extra research, because it's not really super likely to happen in a shortish game, you only run into big trouble by stacking items which are Tainted, and by running into enemy S2 mages who horror mark your poo poo.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I read something like that before, for now I'm building soul contracts with my Pretender but giving them to cheap priests/researchers in my capital.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The exact mechanics of horror marks are deliberately obfuscated; you know if a unit is horror marked or not but that is the only information you get. The strength of the mark determines what kind of horrors will find the marked unit as well as how often they will show up; get the mark strong enough and you'll be seeing Doom Horrors showing up to say hi but there's no way to tell how strong a mark is. Most horrors also have horror marking attacks which makes the entire process that much harder to measure. The magic scales of the province the unit is in matter too; horrors are much less likely to turn up in D3 scales than in M3 scales.

It is also worth noting that there is very little that can stand against a Doom Horror in a fight. A couple of the Doom Horrors can be dealt with by powerful mage\sc pretenders but there's other's that can threaten even a monument in its domain (you do not want the Eater of Gods angry at you, that name is not a joke.)

Neruz fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Feb 11, 2014

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Is there any point to the ritual that wards your province against enemy spells but slowly horror marks all your units under it's protection?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Torrannor posted:

Is there any point to the ritual that wards your province against enemy spells but slowly horror marks all your units under it's protection?

It stops toads or spells like it rather nicely. Obviously you will want to move everyone out but the casting mage and ensure he has a suitable guard force to survive the horrors.

It is actually one of the better domes if you can cast it since a lot of them suck and/or have exorbitant costs. Any mage capable of casting the dome can also easily destroy any horrors that are attracted if given a couple of slaves.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Feb 11, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
It's excellent if you only need a short-term dome as the horror marking is relatively light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

I'm on a 4-player Disciple team. If I throw down Mother Oak am I the only one that gets the 5N/turn or does my whole team get it for a total of 20N/turn?

EDIT: More newbie questions actually. Can someone shed some light on the 'Curse' effect vs. 'cursed items'? Do items referred to as Cursed give you the Curse effect or is it just an indicator that the item has some weird traits like Armor of Thorns being irremovable?

Also how do Horror Marks and Taint and everything all mix in with this?

MagnumOpus fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 11, 2014

• Locked thread