Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Black Noise posted:

Explosive tagged weapons like the Scorcher, Punisher Plasma, or Dominator can shoot down gunships.

I am not asking for a tutorial

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Sagebrush posted:

No, I understand what Black Noise is trying to say, and I think it's dumb. :colbert:
I was referring to those who were like "You should bring a support weapon" when it wasn't ever about which support weapon was brought.
Plus, you know, the person I quoted. :v:

Sagebrush posted:

If you have all lost all of your support weapons, and you're being swarmed by so many gunships that you can't get back to any of them, and none of you brought sentries, what is plinking away at one gunship with a rifle going to do? You aren't even going to be able to expose yourself enough to kill it. You either run until you break contact and then regroup with new weapons, or you all die and drop in somewhere else and try again. Sometimes retreating is part of the game!

Yeah I agree. But like, if the situation has gotten to that point and you just happen to have one of the few primaries that can kinda do something to Gunships as a last resort, and you manage to make use of it, fine, well done! Now, I'm not exactly against the idea of making one of those primaries available earlier, like Black Noise was saying, but I don't really see much point to doing it either. Because, again, if poo poo's gotten so bad that everyone's lost their support weapons, then hey, them's the breaks, poo poo happens.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Hwurmp posted:

I am not asking for a tutorial

That’s cool they asked a question though.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Sagebrush posted:

Can the Purifier kill gunships? Or the plasma shotgun, if anyone can actually hit the engines with it? I've barely used either one.
Technically anything that's AP 3 can, but the engines are also 100% durable, which narrows the field a lot more (it would take...58 DCS shots to kill an engine, since they didn't increase its durable damage the way they did most bullet guns. 16 Slugger shots is slightly more reasonable I guess.)

Add in the fact they're hard to hit with any slow-projectile weapons, which covers most of the explosive primaries, and the Scorcher is the only one left. Purifier would be a viable alternative if it had reasonable DPS.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 23, 2024

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Sagebrush posted:

No, I understand what Black Noise is trying to say, and I think it's dumb. :colbert:

If you have all lost all of your support weapons, and you're being swarmed by so many gunships that you can't get back to any of them, and none of you brought sentries, what is plinking away at one gunship with a rifle going to do? You aren't even going to be able to expose yourself enough to kill it. You either run until you break contact and then regroup with new weapons, or you all die and drop in somewhere else and try again. Sometimes retreating is part of the game!

An attack helicopter's canopy glass is armored and invincible to small arms. You can break through the canopy with a high-caliber rifle, like what might be called an "anti-materiel rifle," for instance.

Maybe. I personally don't mind it the way it is: there's one primary weapon that can kill gunships, and it's a special one that you have to unlock, and it has some downsides (low ammo, kills yourself at point blank). If you are really dead set on being able to use a primary for that role, by all means take that one gun that does it. But we don't need to make every primary weapon have that feature because that just defeats a major part of the game's design.

Can the Purifier kill gunships? Or the plasma shotgun, if anyone can actually hit the engines with it? I've barely used either one.

tedious posting

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
It would be nice if they had some primaries that were light anti-tank weapons but horribly crippled by rate of fire or something, so you could bring it as your "backup" and use something like the MG or Stalwart as your primary. Kind of like how the Eruptor was a mini-AC for a bit.

It could give more variety to loadouts so you could see more use of the swarm-killing secondaries.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

You keep ignoring the fact that people die and then lose access to their secondary that can shoot down Gunships.

I feel like they pretty explicitly covered that fact in the first part of the post.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Sindai posted:

Technically anything that's AP 3 can, but the engines are also 100% durable, which narrows the field a lot more (it would take...58 DCS shots to kill an engine, since they didn't increase its durable damage the way they did most bullet guns. 16 Slugger shots is slightly more reasonable I guess.)

Add in the fact they're hard to hit with any slow-projectile weapons, which covers most of the explosive primaries, and the Scorcher is the only one left. Purifier would be a viable alternative if it had reasonable DPS.
Listen, hear me out here: They should bump the Liberator Penetrator durable damage to like 30 (double of what it is now) to both it give more of its niche back (which it lost in the last balance sweep, not that it was exceptional at that in the first place) and also as a bonus means you could take out a gunship engine in like 27 shots.

Comedy option: Just hit the engine with 8 throwing knifes lmao

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

BREAKING: Suicidal Chargers are rushing errant Hellbombs

https://i.imgur.com/0NcOyj9.mp4

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Video Nasty posted:

BREAKING: Suicidal Chargers are rushing errant Hellbombs

https://i.imgur.com/0NcOyj9.mp4

Nice to see Terminids also cannot resist the siren call of shooting a Hellbomb just because Big Light

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

You keep ignoring the fact that people die and then lose access to their secondary that can shoot down Gunships. If I always had access to my Autocannon they wouldn’t be a problem, but sometimes a silent Hulk sneaks up behind me and cuts me in two, a Factory Strider’s face clips through the ground and it blasts the gently caress out of me with those chin guns, or the gunships I need to kill all target me and land 50 rockets near me, railing me to death.

I was desperate the other night and called a Gatling Barrage on the ground near a swarm of like 6 gunships and I managed to kill two with it, but that wasn’t enough for me to get to my Autocannon.

I think the unspoken sentiment here is that the player should always be able to win. I strongly disagree with that sentiment. Go play warframe if you want a mindless grinder that you can't lose.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Now I want a hellbomb call-in that attracts chargers like thumpers in dune

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

I think it's mostly because we don't have an anti-air red stratagem as a panic button to fix things if other team members failed you against gunships. We need a stratagem like this:

Eagle AA Sweep: (2 charge) Checks to see if there are any air enemies with 100m of the call-in. If there are air enemies then the Eagle attacks with a swarm of homing AA missiles. If it doesn't find any air enemies, this is exactly like an Eagle Strafing Run but with half as many charges per rearm.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Eason the Fifth posted:

Now I want a hellbomb call-in that attracts chargers like thumpers in dune

If you call in a hellbomb and it gets intercepted by a structure like a spore spewer it will generate aggro. But you’d also need to have something chasing you so harder to pull off.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

I think the unspoken sentiment here is that the player should always be able to win. I strongly disagree with that sentiment. Go play warframe if you want a mindless grinder that you can't lose.
Tbh I think that's how the game works as it is. The hardest thing possible is like...a bot 9 blitz with three gunship towers in the middle of the map, and even that's still winnable by chaining reinforcements from base to base and throwing factory clearing strats. You probably won't extract, but you can win.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It would be very cool if orbital gatling tracked air targets. It would generate chaos

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Yet gain, making the railgun (with some slight changes) a primary would solve so many people's problems and open loadout variety even more.

I uhh Don't really agree that we need an early primary weapon to be able to shoot down gunships though. Maybe if the only way to get warbonds was by spending real money, but considering how easy it is to farm SC (and medals tbh) I don't really agree that the regular warbond needs an 'early' med penetration option.

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jun 24, 2024

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

What do you lose if the liberator penetrator also works on the engines?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Black Noise posted:

What do you lose if the liberator penetrator also works on the engines?

You mean the Liberator Penetrator that already works on Gunship Engines? It's also on the 6th page of the Warbond, not exactly an early weapon.

https://helldivers.wiki.gg/wiki/Damage#Armor_Penetration

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I previously said concussive then someone mentioned upping the durable damage of the liberator penetrator and honestly I liked that idea. If that is the hang up then what do you lose if the concussive works on gunships.

Colorspray posted:

If gunships could be easily killed without specialized gear, they wouldn't be the death spiral inducing menaces we love to hate!

No one is asking for this

Black Noise fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jun 24, 2024

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

If gunships could be easily killed without specialized gear, they wouldn't be the death spiral inducing menaces we love to hate!

If poo poo gets too messy with a dozen gunships in the air, that's a signal that the team hosed up and everyone needs to gtfo and hit the bricks.

A decent solution might be to have more stratagems that do anything against fliers. New eagles/orbitals, or tweaking existing ones to useful against aerial targets (rocket pods, orbitals, tesla tower...) would help out a lot.

The best non support weapon strategem I've found for gunships is the autocannon sentry. But that still requires the luxury of being prepared and good placement.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
The HMG emplacement shreds gunships and also everything else. I love that loving thing.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Black Noise posted:

No one is asking for this

You implicitly are.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

The scorcher and dominator being able to take out thrusters does not trivialize them.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

The HMG emplacement shreds gunships and also everything else. I love that loving thing.
Yeah it's great. It has 1000 hp, melee enemies (including flame hulks) completely ignore you, and you can kill anything but tanks. Great strat on any mission where you have to stay in one spot for any amount of time.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

chargers still just push it over though

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

golden bubble posted:

Eagle AA Sweep: (2 charge) Checks to see if there are any air enemies with 100m of the call-in. If there are air enemies then the Eagle attacks with a swarm of homing AA missiles. If it doesn't find any air enemies, this is exactly like an Eagle Strafing Run but with half as many charges per rearm.

Well, Spoliers: If they ever release it, one was datamined and shown working. It was leaked months ago IIRC. It was an Eagle AA that called in several AA missiles that prioritized flying enemies. If there were none they woulf hit ground targets. This was back before Gunships were even in.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

BitBasher posted:

Well, Spoliers: If they ever release it, one was datamined and shown working. It was leaked months ago IIRC. It was an Eagle AA that called in several AA missiles that prioritized flying enemies. If there were none they woulf hit ground targets. This was back before Gunships were even in.

Want this.

Irae
Nov 19, 2011

BitBasher posted:

Stop ever popping out from the same place that you went into cover from. If its a small rock and you went onto cover from the right side of it, do not pop out of the right side of it to shoot. Alternate. They seem to stay dialed in on the last specific place they saw you.

Also have teammates around returning fire. If you are solo and no one is shooting back at them much they get more dialed in the longer they have to aim at you without being shot at.

Simple missile soldiers take a long time to aim, but if you don't move then when they do shoot they will be dead accurate.

Also stop ever being stationary for more than a second or two.

The first part is important, although you don't always have the luxury of cover with more than one peeking point to shoot from.

Also consider rocket devastators have been nerfed, both in accuracy and damage (this was more like a bug fix than a nerf), but no matter the distance, in a rocket salvo, one of the projectiles will always be pinpoint accurate if you're visible and not moving. This is what makes it feel "unfair" at times, because it only takes one to ragdoll you, probably sending you out in the open where you can be shred by their heavy devastator buddies.
Rocket bots are bad at their job but will still nail you eventually if you're not paying attention to them and not moving.
With hulk bruisers I don't spend enough time in the open to test their accuracy, I think they're like rocket devs but feel like sometimes they flat out miss me with all the rockets even when they had no reason to.

I don't think the solution is "nerf bots more", I'd rather have the factions play different (and having easier / harder ones too). Bugs can be where you half rear end and experiment with loadouts in a helldive operation with pubs and that's fine. Bots are there to give you that sinking feeling when you see a detector tower pointing at your only cover, a jammer and a gunship patrol in the same screen. And the feeling of accomplishment when you get out of that and manage to extract.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

I think it is fine to have an enemy that is invulnerable to small arms. You can't shoot down an Apache helicopter with an AK-47 either. Part of the game's design intent is to make you use different tools for different jobs.

If you didn't bring any of the several support weapons that can kill a gunship, well, that's why it's a team game. A single person with an autocannon or laser cannon and good aim can make short work of any number of gunships. Work with your team.
I think the point is when there are several of them and your squad gets wiped, you're respawning back into hell trying to find your secondary, and it's not as if those are the only things you're having to deal with. This can rapidly spiral into basically an unwinnable situations, with randoms at least, particularly if you're anywhere close to the actual fabricator.

Another solution is someone throwing your respawn ball miles out of the way, but if you get acquired when you land then you're probably boned. And you still have the problem of not being able to get back to your secondary.

The logical answer is an anti-air sentry stratagem. Then the team only has itself to blame if no one brings one to a bot mission. Since it would only be effective against Dropships and Gunships, if you fail to bring it and encounter this hellscape - that's the teams fault rather than really sucky RNG.

As an aside - I think ragdolling could be turned down a bit. I wear medium armour with the 50% explosive resist vs Bots and it doesn't seem to make any difference, a single rocket splash will ragdoll you. I've been ragdolled several times in quick succession. I'd expect the level I experience if I was wearing light armour. Ragdolling, like other control removing things, really sucks as a game mechanic and a decent game ought to have as little of it as possible.

Durzel fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jun 24, 2024

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Durzel posted:

I think the point is when there are several of them and your squad gets wiped, you're respawning back into hell trying to find your secondary, and it's not as if those are the only things you're having to deal with. This can rapidly spiral into basically an unwinnable situations, with randoms at least, particularly if you're anywhere close to the actual fabricator.

Another solution is someone throwing your respawn ball miles out of the way, but if you get acquired when you land then you're probably boned. And you still have the problem of not being able to get back to your secondary.

The logical answer is an anti-air sentry stratagem. Then the team only has itself to blame if no one brings one to a bot mission.

How effective are AC and rocket turrets against gunships? Those seem like they should at least hypothetically be useful against them.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Speaking of ragdolling, I started encountering the launch from those cloudy puffball things for the first time yesterday. And something on Vandalon sent me up like a high pop fly. Luckily I was in heavy armour so it only took off a third of my health (and of course I saluted the whole time in the air).

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Darth Walrus posted:

How effective are AC and rocket turrets against gunships? Those seem like they should at least hypothetically be useful against them.

They work great provided you have some distance on them. Sam sites too but that's more RNG.

Lobok posted:

Speaking of ragdolling, I started encountering the launch from those cloudy puffball things for the first time yesterday. And something on Vandalon sent me up like a high pop fly. Luckily I was in heavy armour so it only took off a third of my health (and of course I saluted the whole time in the air).

A low gravity planet where a rocket sends you into a puffball that sends you into space when?

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
I had a real fun one last night. Bots at 7, 2 gunship command centers next to a stratagem jammer and the jammer was bugged and couldn't be turned off.
We wiped, tried again confirmed it was definitely bugged, walked away, and completed the rest of the map ignoring these side objectives. 10/10 team would dive with them again.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Re: Low-level gunship play

Bring EATs. They unlock at level 3 and have a 70 second cooldown and you can take out 2 with one call-in. Gunships aren't really all that bad unless there's a stratagem jammer nearby preventing hellbomb call in on the fabrucator. Try to avoid assaulting them when you've drawn tons of aggro since they'll just keep spawning ships. Sometimes the best strategy is to just run away and try again or just ignore it completely.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
It takes ~1 mag of scorcher ammo to down 1 gunship, and thats probably the best primary for doing so. You aren't knocking them down like you do with the HMG/AC/Lasercannon but its manageable.

I think what most people are ignoring is that gunships fly. Cover works differently since they can fly over it. Certain weapons and all red stratagems do nothing to them.

Most importantly, since we are talking about killing gunships with primaries as a last resort: You can't run from a gunship like you can a hulk or a tank (and you can kill a hulk with grenades+primaries). They follow further, faster, and if they aren't leashed to a fab, forever.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dyz posted:

I think what most people are ignoring is that gunships fly.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Dyz posted:

I think what most people are ignoring is that gunships fly.

Only briefly :blastu:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

When gunships arrived I was very upset because I though for sure the best anti-robot weapon, the laser cannon, wouldn't be able to do anything about them (it does nothing to dropships) so imagine my surprise when the best anti-robot weapon got even better.

AC is good, but it requires a backpack and I'd rather bring a lil buddy or a shield or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Backpack strats feel like a trap imo unless you have an HMG. It's one less eagle or orbital you can bring and less overwhelming death you can deal to your enemies.

Edit: I should actually give the HMG another go with the supply pack and just bring 120 and 380 and delete bases from afar