Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ratios and Tendency posted:

What do people think about letting you attack on turn 1 but with siege projects adding time in exchange for weakening the defensive buildings?
That would completely defeat the purpose of sieges which is to give your opponent time to rally.

Headlong assault is good because you're giving your opponent less time to bring in reinforcements but starting the battle with injured troops is similar to if they had brought in reinforcements. A siege operation of "go fast but spawn defenders" could be good. Or boost the existing operations, make spawning a citizens militia the default, and add a 0 siege power operation to turn them off.

e: a possible secondary use for draft? Cap the militia so the combined total never exceeds the attackers army strength?

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jun 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Splicer posted:

That would completely defeat the purpose of sieges which is to give your opponent time to rally.

You can rally while they're subduing the city.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ratios and Tendency posted:

You can rally while they're subduing the city.
Who gets the city income while this is happening? Can your leader respawn in a capital city being "subdued"? There's a bunch of reasons why city sniping is a pain other than time to full switchover.

Irae
Nov 19, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

You lose morale when zombies die?

And the opponent gains morale when you have them to kill the units you mind controlled.

Tangentially related: the t4 Wand of Domination gives full action points to the target when it lands. Intended?

And I hope the trend of giving AI heroes freebie copies of items gets limited to low tiers, because them showing up with 2 of those made an otherwise interesting field battle a one sided pile of bullshit.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I hope when item forging comes out that you no longer have to go to the AI ally flea market to pick up some T4 artifacts for pocketchange, 22 gold or mana for that wand of resurrection? throw in Merlins robe's and you got a deal.

Irae
Nov 19, 2011
Even weirder is the fact they're not putting up for trade items they actually can use, it's always 3 somewhat turn-appropriate items completely unrelated to what their heroes have, on a refresh every few turns.

Feels like it's actually intended as a placeholder while some new system gets introduced, but diplomacy isn't always viable in matches, and without it you can't plan on hero roles at all unless you're a materium society.
Maybe the new excavation now can help a little, I've yet to give it a fair shot as it's usually the quickest way to spawn a pillaging marauder stack in your backyard.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I've found it most efficient to just spec my heroes to battle magic with fire evoc and max resist and weaver, with quick phase if going down tome of teleportation.
Usually hitting up to 6 enemies ( but usually 2 to 4 ) with a AoE and potentially burning is more damage then whatever a melee hero can do early, high culture can pick up an even higher damage nuke and weaver just let's you reset all of that and reuse whatever OP signature skill you got.

Getting a lategame hero or respeccing them to warfare is pretty decent at some point though, dump all the extra equipment on them and Industrious warfare can get a lot of use out of always ending the turn in defensive mode with a support staff buffing up allies, but I'd still put points into battle magic as a secondary for the resists and sometimes a spell when they got nothing better to do.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Irae posted:

And the opponent gains morale when you have them to kill the units you mind controlled.

Tangentially related: the t4 Wand of Domination gives full action points to the target when it lands. Intended?

And I hope the trend of giving AI heroes freebie copies of items gets limited to low tiers, because them showing up with 2 of those made an otherwise interesting field battle a one sided pile of bullshit.
Yeah as long as I can remember.

I always carry recover on a hero so you can clear MC. There's more than just items that can do it. You hit like alt or shift to enable targeting of enemy units and it's a guaranteed clear.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Gerblyn posted:

Not as far as know! I tested on the 1.1 branch on Friday morning, and it was definitely there then.

Ah, no, I was misunderstanding, I thought it was a buff to all AI-controlled units, not just ones controlled by AI player factions. I checked and I can see it applying in the latter case. :(

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Rascyc posted:

I always carry recover on a hero so you can clear MC. There's more than just items that can do it. You hit like alt or shift to enable targeting of enemy units and it's a guaranteed clear.

I need to figure out how to do this on a controller. I was miffed that I picked up recover just to stop those drat nymphs and lightbringers and it didn't let me target the MC'd unit.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
So what are people's impressions of the dragon dlc so far? Worth getting? Too many issues? I put this down for a bit and am wondering if playing a dragon is a good change of pace.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the new stuff is pretty neat for a $10 dlc content pack. certainly worth at least 1 playthrough checking it out. it's not really going to fundamentally change the core gameplay though

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah the dragon lords is something you can't really get through modding either (at least without a ton of fiddling and compromises) so that's worth it too

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

The Deleter posted:

So what are people's impressions of the dragon dlc so far? Worth getting? Too many issues? I put this down for a bit and am wondering if playing a dragon is a good change of pace.
The dragons look cool. I haven't noticed any issues like bugs, etc, specifically related to the DLC. Playing with a dragon doesn't drastically change the way you play though. So I wouldn't say it's a "change of pace".

Depending on exactly why you put the game down, it can be worth waiting until the next big (free) update somewhere this summer. The promised AI update and restriction to tomes/affinities will probably have a bigger impact on the gameplay.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Yeah, my one real qualm with the DLC is the same as with the base game -- not a significant enough difference between your main character types. Dragons are cool but don't play substantially different to Wizard Lord or Champion overall beyond the in-game unit's capacity itself. But on the strategic layer it's essentially the same game. And likewise Wizard Lord vs. Champion.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I see the dragon as like starting as a super combatant.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Alright, good answers. I'll wait for the next patch I think. I don't have a strong opinion for why I stopped playing except that maybe the tome's didn't let me leverage weird stuff enough, the diea that summoning skeleton chaff over and over was the best, and maybe cultures not having as strong an identity as in AoW3. I miss Dreadnaughts and blowing people away with muskets.

e: then again i'm the basic idiot who's second favourite faction in AOW:Planetfall is Vanguard so what do I know?

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jun 25, 2023

Irae
Nov 19, 2011

Rascyc posted:

Yeah as long as I can remember.

Maybe a hero can, but chaplains definitely can't, for some reason you can't force target an enemy with healing prayer. Found out because I had two of them in the fight for that very reason, and it was a nasty surprise.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The way I see it, Champions are focused on econ and unit morale, WKs specialize in map and combat casting, and Dragon Lords are like playing Hero Arena in War3 where you can just dominate the early game with a single unit.

Irae
Nov 19, 2011
Another handful of random thoughts after the 200 hours playtime mark:

- the signature summons feel somewhat more balanced against the rest now, with just a couple notes. First, elementals come into play with full AP but their phase ability on the same 2 turn cooldown as before. This means they only ever get to use it on the last turn they're alive, so you don't really have a choice on when to use it tactically. The banshee you can get with summon undead has phase ready right away when summoned. Second, I'm not a fan of the change to summon undead from 3 chaff units to one t3: it was predictable and consistent in making an expendable frontline, now it's either a battle mage or a gimmicky fighter, which go both well if you do weird morale breaking builds but not anywhere else, or at least worse than both the other summons. I'd rather have 3 decaying dudes with good chances of at least a pike unit;

- let me inspect the character sheet of heroes that would get added to the recruitment pool from events: I have no idea if I'll want to eventually recruit Lance the lich lord from the tomb of many bones until I see their special ability and starting equip, and I have no way of checking from just the text mouseover on the name. This goes especially from events like the astral apprentice one where you're supposed to recruit them on the fly rather than adding them to the pool (and I think it's slighly bugged because last time I picked one of the three, and I got one completely unrelated from the three choices, which still got all added to the recruitment pool anyway. The name of the unrelated hero was "Conjura the Conjurer" so I count that as a win);

- please, please make the start of turn narrative events a notification you can open instead of a fullscreen UI lock when you play on simultaneous turns: losing a stack (or not catching an enemy one) that you can't confirm the movement for because a dude really wants to know which page of their loving book I want to buy feels... less than ideal. I wouldn't mind as much if the AI got priority anyway in taking their movement at the start of a turn, but they don't, and losing the chance of an early move because of that is terrible.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Irae posted:

- let me inspect the character sheet of heroes that would get added to the recruitment pool from events: I have no idea if I'll want to eventually recruit Lance the lich lord from the tomb of many bones until I see their special ability and starting equip, and I have no way of checking from just the text mouseover on the name.
I absolutely agree with all your points so I'm not trying to refute your points with this but next time this happens and you're not happy with the results you can mitigate the harm through
1) You get one free points respec per hero
2) Suiciding a nude trash hero + some surplus units to soften up a 3 star location can be pretty lucrative

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Do those recruitable heroes from wonders actually level up now? or do you still just recruit them to immediately suicide for their gear?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Raise your hand if you've played this game for 100 hours and only just now found out that ancient wonder heroes didn't level up.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Irae posted:

Another handful of random thoughts after the 200 hours playtime mark:

- let me inspect the character sheet of heroes that would get added to the recruitment pool from events: I have no idea if I'll want to eventually recruit Lance the lich lord from the tomb of many bones until I see their special ability and starting equip, and I have no way of checking from just the text mouseover on the name. This goes especially from events like the astral apprentice one where you're supposed to recruit them on the fly rather than adding them to the pool (and I think it's slighly bugged because last time I picked one of the three, and I got one completely unrelated from the three choices, which still got all added to the recruitment pool anyway. The name of the unrelated hero was "Conjura the Conjurer" so I count that as a win);

This is a good change. I never choose the "added to recruitment pool" option from those events and site rewards because it's always something that never seems worth it since I can already just hired a hero whenever. A free hero would probably be too good, but they need more incentives to choose this one since you can respec for free and the fixed traits are rarely a make or break thing.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
If the character is in the battle you can inspect them before loading in to see exactly what they are equipped with, like that undead tomb battle, but you can't inspect them when in the menu to decide if you want to, which stinks, I have spent 700g before recruiting the hero just so I could strip them of all their T3-4 items in every slot and have them run over to the nearest unwinnable battle, I think for some of those items it was a fine price to pay.

You really should be able to get your racial transformations to work on your heroes regardless of which race they belong to, makes it feel bad to recruit anything that doesn't belong to your starting faction since they rarely have transformations and in my head I'm just going "ok if I get them they would be missing out on this giant pile of stats".

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jun 26, 2023

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I kind of think Free Cities with races that don't have a keeper should get transformations with time (later than a player would), as a way to keep their units competitive as the game goes on.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I have seen free cities start the game with demonic or celestial transformations, but ehh, I'd rather have my own personal blend of weirdo transformations, but without paying 300-600 mana per transformation for each race I'm a keeper of.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Is it only the first perk that gives your dragonlord a unique skill?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Azuth0667 posted:

Is it only the first perk that gives your dragonlord a unique skill?

No. The third is also unique.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Sometimes I wish owning vassal cities of a race counted towards keepership.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

Raise your hand if you've played this game for 100 hours and only just now found out that ancient wonder heroes didn't level up.

What does this mean exactly? You get a hero from an Ancient Wonder event and they're always level 1, while you're on turn 30 and everyone else is level 5?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I was just surprised at Ra Ra Rasputin's comment that recruitable heroes from wonders didn't level up, because if they didn't then I hadn't noticed it before. But truth be told I rarely recruit heroes from wonders anyway.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Do those recruitable heroes from wonders actually level up now? or do you still just recruit them to immediately suicide for their gear?

Wyvern update patch notes posted:

Fixed issue where recruited heroes who originate from Ancient Wonders would not gain XP or level up.

It should be fixed.

Irae
Nov 19, 2011
Going back to sieges for a bit, I've seen a suggestion about events that could speed up the process, or make for interesting decision: the thing is there already are random siege events that generally give you a few choices to trade something (money, alignment) for siege damage, but they are fairly rare (I've seen one in 200+ hours of play) and from the event screen you have no way of easily telling if the added damage would shave a turn or not, unless you noted down the initial fortification value and damage per turn.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Wow being able to combine dragon attack and harass the defenders is huge. -46 hp on every unit the defender has is hilarious.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Ah I missed the patch note, all good then.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah that one got me too. Glad its fixed.

exquisite tea posted:

The way I see it, Champions are focused on econ and unit morale, WKs specialize in map and combat casting, and Dragon Lords are like playing Hero Arena in War3 where you can just dominate the early game with a single unit.

It is also worth saying that its nice the dragon isn't an early bloomer and nothing more. That lizard gets nasty.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

How did the necromancer rebalance turn out? I never even played the original version and haven't had a chance to try the new one either.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Fitzy Fitz posted:

How did the necromancer rebalance turn out? I never even played the original version and haven't had a chance to try the new one either.

It only got some minor tweaks really; it still feels bad and needs a pretty major overhaul imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Not a whole lot changed, I still think the "optimal" way to do it is just grab the t1 tome for skeletons, skip t2 necromancy, optional grab the t3 for the transformation and enchant and desecrate structure for a soul to mana dump.
Necromancers are pretty underwhelming supports compared to stuff like Skalds, you get +1 soul per tier of unit killed now, the 6 souls for 30g per turn is too expensive to be used, corrupted souls are "okay" fighters but I'd rather drown the world in skellymen.

Everything besides the skellymen and fetid legion is kinda "meh" but they do so much heavy lifting as an essentially 0 cost unit you can spam 1/turn from every city and the dragon/cavalry update made polearm units extra attractive.

Just send 3 full stacks in every direction and conquer.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jun 28, 2023