Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Progression Please posted:

My manual is telling me to change the brake fluid every year, do ... you guys do this?

Manual on what car? My GLI said every 2, pretty sure my Golf is the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Stopped by the dealer today to discuss some things

Car in :zombie: mode

Old 'n busted

New one was sitting near by having the accessories swapped over onto it.

It looks like the movement of the crank also caused some flywheel damage, but because it's an aftermarket :rice: flywheel and clutch(that I had no idea was installed) I'm having to foot the bill for the replacement of them. I'm trying to get the dealer I bought it from to help out since I wasn't informed that these parts were installed when I bought the car.

On that note does this parts list look right price wise?

I did some looking around online and think I can get them cheaper, but the dealer guy says they won't be up to VWs specs.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

Thumposaurus posted:

Stopped by the dealer today to discuss some things

Car in :zombie: mode

Old 'n busted

New one was sitting near by having the accessories swapped over onto it.

It looks like the movement of the crank also caused some flywheel damage, but because it's an aftermarket :rice: flywheel and clutch(that I had no idea was installed) I'm having to foot the bill for the replacement of them. I'm trying to get the dealer I bought it from to help out since I wasn't informed that these parts were installed when I bought the car.

On that note does this parts list look right price wise?

I did some looking around online and think I can get them cheaper, but the dealer guy says they won't be up to VWs specs.

Those prices look about right for VW parts but each dealership can charge whatever they want on mark-up.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Mr. Apollo posted:

Yeah, after it happened I realized why. I just wasn't expecting it at the time since I had been driving it around in automatic mode and was thinking of it as a "regular" automatic.

One thing I didn't test out but was wondering after the fact is if you're in drive but not on the gas or brake, will the car creep along like a torque converter based automatic or do you need to tap the gas pedal?

Yes it creeps at idle.

I'm curious if anyone here has done a Stage I ECU upgrade on a VW 2.0l TDI. If so which program did you use? Has it had any downsides? What is the effect on the fuel consumption?

Longshot: Does anyone have a recommendation for a VW/Audi shop that has done TDI performance upgrades in the Baltimore/DC area?

the chief v2
Apr 15, 2010
I'm hoping to buy a car by fall of this year and have been looking at 2008 S4's. From the consumer reviews I've read they seem to be pretty reliable and whatnot and I believe this is the last year they had the V8. Are there any known issues I haven't read about or anything that should keep me away from this car?

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0TFPMgKmvQ&feature=related

How is this possible with a Golf II? Either way anyone driving a fancy car is in for a rude awakening.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Arishtat posted:

Yes it creeps at idle.

I'm curious if anyone here has done a Stage I ECU upgrade on a VW 2.0l TDI. If so which program did you use? Has it had any downsides? What is the effect on the fuel consumption?

Longshot: Does anyone have a recommendation for a VW/Audi shop that has done TDI performance upgrades in the Baltimore/DC area?

As far as I know, only Revo has a tune for it that you can get around the country. Malone tuning also has a tune, but I think they're pretty much only a single site and there's 1 other company but it's in Canada and I'm drawing a blank on the name. The Revo tune is supposed to be around 35hp/35torque. As with most tunes, if you can stay off of the skinny pedal mileage usually goes up. I'm probably going to try to get Revo put on mine over the summer.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

DerDestroyer posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0TFPMgKmvQ&feature=related

How is this possible with a Golf II? Either way anyone driving a fancy car is in for a rude awakening.
Light weight, shitloads of power and more modern internals makes a huge difference. E85 helps too.

You could probably beat up on most fancy cars driving even a stock Mk2 GTI though. :)

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
I am looking at a '12 TDI Golf and am only hesitant due to the fact I've never owned a diesel before. In terms of maintenance and driving style how different is it from a gasoline vehicle. Currently I drive a 2009 Impala SS and am also concerned if this would be a dumb purchase only because I am wanting better fuel economy and have become fond of the Golf.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I am looking at a '12 TDI Golf and am only hesitant due to the fact I've never owned a diesel before. In terms of maintenance and driving style how different is it from a gasoline vehicle. Currently I drive a 2009 Impala SS and am also concerned if this would be a dumb purchase only because I am wanting better fuel economy and have become fond of the Golf.

Maintenance? No different, and if VW is still doing their thing you get the first 3 oil changes for free. The oil change interval is 10k. No AdBlue required in this car.

As for driving style, you shift at a lot lower RPMs from a gasser. I shift up at around 2200-2800 RPM for daily motoring. The redline is around 5k, but there is no power post 4k. The car is happy to tell you to upshift and put the RPMs drat near 1k, but I like to have them at least around 1800 to put you in the powerband. There is tons of torque on tap for the car and VW has gone to great lengths to disguise the diesel nature of the car. Every once in awhile you may turn off the car and it may sound like it is running - this is when the car is doing a DPF regen and was interrupted. The fan will run for a bit to cool off the process and the car will start the regen later when you are driving again.

The car has been great for me. The Dynaudio and Xenons are brilliant and are a great choice.

siliciferous
Sep 29, 2003

One cannot fight that which has no basis in reality.

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I drove a 2011 for about a year and a half and I don't regret one moment of it. If you know absolutely nothing about diesel particulate filters, take a look see here: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/DPF-Adblue-FAQ-VW-Audi.htm

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/ is a great resource for learning and maintaining (I didn't own it long enough to do need to do anything serious in terms of maintenance) VW/Audi diesels in general.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Bovril Delight posted:

Maintenance? No different, and if VW is still doing their thing you get the first 3 oil changes for free. The oil change interval is 10k. No AdBlue required in this car.

As for driving style, you shift at a lot lower RPMs from a gasser. I shift up at around 2200-2800 RPM for daily motoring. The redline is around 5k, but there is no power post 4k. The car is happy to tell you to upshift and put the RPMs drat near 1k, but I like to have them at least around 1800 to put you in the powerband. There is tons of torque on tap for the car and VW has gone to great lengths to disguise the diesel nature of the car. Every once in awhile you may turn off the car and it may sound like it is running - this is when the car is doing a DPF regen and was interrupted. The fan will run for a bit to cool off the process and the car will start the regen later when you are driving again.

The car has been great for me. The Dynaudio and Xenons are brilliant and are a great choice.

The car makes 240 lbft/ftlb? of torque between 1500-2500 rpm, it pulls and drives a lot like a V8 does. Lots of low torque, but has poo poo for power over 4k. But if you want a car that gets 40+ mpg and isn't castrated and/or a hybrid the TDI is the way to go. Honestly, having gone from a chipped 1.8t 240/240 to the TDI 240/140, the only real difference is above 80 mph it doesn't pull as fast. But how often do you really do 80 mph+ runs. In the city the car is fun as hell to drive.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006
A friend of mine bought a beetle because to him it looks like a mini Porsche. Does it outperform the Golf by much?

DerDestroyer fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 19, 2012

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

They both have the same engine choices?

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
Hopefully this means the Polo is coming to Canada / US. That 1.4L TDI looks perfect for getting around town. Too bad I just bought a 2.5 last summer.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

DerDestroyer posted:

A friend of mine bought a beetle because to him it looks like a mini Porsche. Does it outperform the Golf by much?

The new Beetle does look Porsche inspired. I certainly prefer the new design to the previous one. Haven't really looked into performance comparisons on them though.
E: Looking at a comparison with a GTI, it seems like the Beetle is not as aggressive. Geared looser, more roll in the corners.

I recently picked up a 2008 TT Roadster.

Phuzun fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Apr 19, 2012

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

krooj posted:

Hopefully this means the Polo is coming to Canada / US. That 1.4L TDI looks perfect for getting around town. Too bad I just bought a 2.5 last summer.

No Polo in N. America for the foreseeable future. I ask every time I'm on course and its still a no-go.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

DerDestroyer posted:

I would assume the new beatle is cheapened up like the new jetta and passat were. The nice thing about the TDI golf is that it has the stiffer sport suspension that is much closer to a GTI than the gasser golf. And is still built in Germany, and still has the independent rear suspension, and still has the nice interior.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I got my car back after 3 weeks finally.
Big ups to Don Beyer VW in Winchester for convincing VW that I needed a new engine.

My car doesn't sound like a tank when it is idling anymore either. I thought that was just how it was supposed to sound, but it was the bottom end slowly tearing itself apart.

yasher
May 21, 2007
Just bought a 2010 2-door GTI. I'm so excited. First sporty car ever, and I'm 28.

Is an extended warranty worth it on a VW? I've done some searching and the response seems quite varied.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

yasher posted:

Just bought a 2010 2-door GTI. I'm so excited. First sporty car ever, and I'm 28.

Is an extended warranty worth it on a VW? I've done some searching and the response seems quite varied.

FWIW I've got the extended warranty on my '10 GTI and haven't had to use it yet. Just passed 37,700mi.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

yasher posted:

Oh hey, I'm going to pick up my 2010 2-door GTI in a month too. :) First car since I graduated high school, and I'm 26.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006

veedubfreak posted:

I would assume the new beatle is cheapened up like the new jetta and passat were. The nice thing about the TDI golf is that it has the stiffer sport suspension that is much closer to a GTI than the gasser golf. And is still built in Germany, and still has the independent rear suspension, and still has the nice interior.

It's only a matter of time before the Golf 7 takes away all those advantages because the American market only cares about price.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

my1999gsr posted:

No Polo in N. America for the foreseeable future. I ask every time I'm on course and its still a no-go.

This is really perplexing, because there have to be other people out there like me: want a high quality sub-compact hatch with very efficient engines, along with the option to go diesel. By not selling the Polo, VW is losing out on the same segment that buys the Fiesta, Sonic, Yaris, Fit, etc... Does VW really do that badly in the US? Here in S/W Ontario, VW is common as dirt.

If VW doesn't have something to offer in 4 years, when my financing is done, I'm going to look at other brands, because the 2.5L I have now is a pig.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

krooj posted:

This is really perplexing, because there have to be other people out there like me: want a high quality sub-compact hatch with very efficient engines, along with the option to go diesel. By not selling the Polo, VW is losing out on the same segment that buys the Fiesta, Sonic, Yaris, Fit, etc... Does VW really do that badly in the US? Here in S/W Ontario, VW is common as dirt.

If VW doesn't have something to offer in 4 years, when my financing is done, I'm going to look at other brands, because the 2.5L I have now is a pig.

There's just no way for VW to bring the Polo over and sell it at the same prices that you can pick up a Fiesta/Yaris/Fit for.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

veedubfreak posted:

There's just no way for VW to bring the Polo over and sell it at the same prices that you can pick up a Fiesta/Yaris/Fit for.

Not disagreeing with you, but I tend to think that your typical VW buyer is willing to pay slightly more if they feel the quality is there.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

krooj posted:

Not disagreeing with you, but I tend to think that your typical VW buyer is willing to pay slightly more if they feel the quality is there.

Your typical buyer is getting the Golf then.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Bovril Delight posted:

Your typical buyer is getting the Golf then.

That pretty much sums up my thought process. Anyone who is just looking for a tiny fuel efficient car isn't going to want to pay the premium that a Polo would cost on top of a Fiesta or other tiny car. My Golf is about as small of a car as I really feel safe driving in this world of soccer mom SUVs.

Every time I drive past a Smart or even the new Fiat, I just don't understand how those cars can possibly be safe AT ALL in an accident with a douchebag in a 6000 pound SUV.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

krooj posted:

The sales of the cheapened Jetta seem to disagree, unfortunately.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Oh god am I stupid for wanting to add to my VAG car collection by looking at older Passat Wagons?

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

wolrah posted:

Yeah, I guess. I was in Florida for work a few weeks ago, and Avis offered me this car. I thought, "cool, Avis is into renting decent cars! The Jetta is decent, right?" Nope. That car was a piece of poo poo, and my mk6 feels like a Bentley by comparison.

Funny, up in SW Ontario, I don't see many of the new Jettas, and what few I do see are TDIs.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

wolrah posted:

I'm actually amazed at how low they got the pricepoint on the new jetta. It's almost as cheap as the 95 barebones manual gearbox/windows jetta my dad bought. But then again that car, as with the new jetta, was a huge piece of poo poo.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006

veedubfreak posted:

I'm actually amazed at how low they got the pricepoint on the new jetta. It's almost as cheap as the 95 barebones manual gearbox/windows jetta my dad bought. But then again that car, as with the new jetta, was a huge piece of poo poo.

I think it's funny how the Jetta is a black sheep car in Europe that hardly anyone buys.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

DerDestroyer posted:

I think it's funny how the Jetta is a black sheep car in Europe that hardly anyone buys.

The mk5 Jetta is a great car, but I had no idea that the 6th gen Jetta was even available in Europe. Is the interior better than it is here?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Residency Evil posted:

The mk5 Jetta is a great car, but I had no idea that the 6th gen Jetta was even available in Europe. Is the interior better than it is here?

The US GLI is supposedly a lot closer to representative of the RoW version. Proper rear suspension, better interior materials, proper trunk hinge, etc.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

wolrah posted:

The US GLI is supposedly a lot closer to representative of the RoW version. Proper rear suspension, better interior materials, proper trunk hinge, etc.

I drove past the dealership I bought my Golf from earlier today that has since been bought out by one of the douchiest car dealership conglomerates in Colorado and they had a new GLI sitting out near the street. drat good looking car. Shame that this dealership is now part of the Dealin' Doug network, gently caress that noise.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Hey AI, I'm considering buying a 2003 GTI with the 1.8t, but it's an automatic....I'd prefer a stick, but all I do is commute and the roads here in Alberta are pretty boring anyway. Question is: apart from being less fun, is there anything to worry about with the auto? During the test drive everything felt great, nice smooth shifts, etc. I need a replacement for my current vehicle, and I can get this one through work at a pretty decent price.

Secondly: looks like tunes are very popular on these cars, will the transmission put up with the extra abuse?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Frank Dillinger posted:

Hey AI, I'm considering buying a 2003 GTI with the 1.8t, but it's an automatic....I'd prefer a stick, but all I do is commute and the roads here in Alberta are pretty boring anyway. Question is: apart from being less fun, is there anything to worry about with the auto? During the test drive everything felt great, nice smooth shifts, etc. I need a replacement for my current vehicle, and I can get this one through work at a pretty decent price.

Secondly: looks like tunes are very popular on these cars, will the transmission put up with the extra abuse?

Don't worry about the aotobox. Worry about the service history of that terrible motor. It's an 03, so I'm going to guess it's either got 99,000 or 199,000 miles on it, so it's due for $1500+ worth of service.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
94,000km, so yeah :( what does the service involve? I did the timing belt on my Miata, so I'm no stranger to mechanical work. Also, I thought the 1.8T was pretty decent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigen v2.0
May 16, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Bleak Gremlin
So I'm not sure where to post this so I'll post it here since it's about my 2010 GTI, but one thing I've noticed about driving my car (manual) is that if I put the car in first gear while moving in anticipation of a stop, even with the clutch fully depressed, I hear some noise which I think might be referred to as clutch chatter. I thought it was fine to put the car in gear without letting the clutch out while moving, am I stupid for doing this? Should I get the car checked out?