Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

This person's tweets are protected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Yeah isekai is mostly just a cover for bad and unimaginative plots.

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

I'll never quite wrap my head around companies being able to buy another company using debt then load that debt onto the other company and suck it dry with interest payments.

I literally cannot understand it. Why is this a thing that exists even? What value does it nominally have? Is there a breakdown/explainer or something that I can read?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

PopZeus posted:

I literally cannot understand it. Why is this a thing that exists even? What value does it nominally have? Is there a breakdown/explainer or something that I can read?

Das Kapital

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

AngryBooch posted:

This person's tweets are protected.

https://twitter.com/shrekpisssIave/status/1192872354176753664

I assume her account is protected because she went on a tear of retweeting every person she could find saying "ok boomer" and screaming JUST CALL ME A N***** YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO

Extremely normal brain.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

PopZeus posted:

It doesn't make sense and it's why both Toys R Us and Remington Outdoor went bankrupt and the media mostly hosed up reporting on it.

It's called a leveraged buyout: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leveraged_buyout

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 8, 2019

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

boomer is every slur at once

you boomer

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

PopZeus posted:

I literally cannot understand it. Why is this a thing that exists even?

It is profitable to the company that does the initial buying.

PopZeus posted:

What value does it nominally have?

Profitability, for the company that does the buying.

PopZeus posted:

Is there a breakdown/explainer or something that I can read?

People with a lot of money are always looking for new schemes that are legal, but probably shouldn't be. Those people discovered that if you were to purchase an asset (company) that was not doing well, there was no normal way to ensure it was profitable. So, they worked very hard to arrive at a solution, and discovered that if an asset wasn't profitable you could load it with debt to at least clear some of your debts. This guaranteed the asset would fail, but it's like stripping some metal from a sinking ship. Naturally, they quickly realized it was more profitable to go into debt when buying the bad asset and transfer that debt to the asset, then as much more debt added as you can before the banks get upset.

As usual, this is because rich people & banks have too much money and they can only think of one goal: make more money.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Also Donald Trump would load his personal debts into his failing companies to wipe them away.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

PopZeus posted:

Here's a short case study on how you do it with a well-established company: https://web.archive.org/web/2016112...is-after-crisis

quote:

Over the next several years, Colt Defense went through the private equity leverage wringer. Sciens Capital and its affiliates loaded the company with debt while taking out cash in the form of “distributions” and “advisory fees.” The 2005 SEC filing shows payouts totaling $40 million over the two prior years—a significant amount for a company in such fragile financial health. In 2006, another SEC filing shows, the company redeemed “members’ equity” worth $41 million. In 2007, Colt Defense agreed to borrow $150 million in a “leveraged recapitalization” that featured distributions to “members” of $131 million. In 2009 it borrowed an additional $250 million, while multimillion-dollar payouts continued. For 2010, Colt Defense had sales of $176 million—more than double what they were in 2004—but registered an $11 million loss.

More to it in the article of course

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

T-man posted:

boomer is every slur at once

you boomer

Ok boomer.

Translation: I hate women and POC

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

I imagine a lot of it is just the same problem of the lovely corporate media that most people interact with isn't talking about it. Off the top of my head, how many people just shook their heads and said that Toys 'R Us was just doomed to fail because they were old and couldn't compete with Amazon. How many people are going to bother to dig into deeper business articles to find out all the weird private equity vulture bullshit that actually sank a probably salvageable company (even if they did have other issues)?

I don't really have an answer for it either. People don't have time, energy or desire now to track down news to see all the ways that they're getting hosed. Assuming we survive it, it'll be wild looking back.

the toy industry would probably have propped it up for years if it wasnt for bain's bullshit, lego lost like ten percent of their sales when toys r us closed and the industry at large used it as a test ground for stuff before it went to like, walmart or whatever

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

just found out about this and watched
they start researching nuclear weapons in 1936 and it only gets worse from there

they really should have gotten someone who knows how to play because woof its boring watching someone not know how to make an army

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Private equity leveraged buyout poo poo is a bold faced scam that outshines the housing market scams that blew up the world economy in 2008. Just a bunch of rich failson psychos creating billions of dollars in debt, laundering it into money for their own pockets by dragging it through a drowning company, and then shoving the company's head fully underwater until the bubbles stop so they can say "what a shame it died with so much debt that can never be recovered."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Do the rules of corporate personhood allow you (or a holding company) to own a company without being liable for any of its debt?

Man, sovereign citizen poo poo is just people wishing that the rules that apply to corporations applied to them.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

SlimGoodbody posted:

Private equity leveraged buyout poo poo is a bold faced scam that outshines the housing market scams that blew up the world economy in 2008. Just a bunch of rich failson psychos creating billions of dollars in debt, laundering it into money for their own pockets by dragging it through a drowning company, and then shoving the company's head fully underwater until the bubbles stop so they can say "what a shame it died with so much debt that can never be recovered."

It's pretty cool when people ask how will you pay for such and such a social service when these folks can just make their debt magically disappear in a collapsed company.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Gripweed posted:

Do You Love Your Mom and Her Two-Hit Multi-Target Attacks

quote:

Masato Oosuki is a teenager who is usually annoyed by his overly doting mother, Mamako, until both are sent inside a fantasy themed game. Masato tries his hardest to show his prowess inside the game, flustered by the fact that his mother possesses much higher stats, thus she can easily defeat all opponents with her twin swords, leaving little room for him to act.

japan are you ok.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

uber_stoat posted:

japan are you ok.

That is honestly among the least bad isekai poo poo. So no, they're very clearly not ok.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea 'my mom's better at my game than me' is like the LEAST weird mommy issue isekai out there.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Getting transported to a fantasy world with your mom and she thrives there is a funny concept. I'm guessing that anime doesn't think so.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Isekai* can be a formula for a person to unmoor a narrative from the grinding pinions of society in order to completely and fully tell on themselves, unfortunately. If they're all terrible yeah you start to wonder if it shades towards a culture telling on itself, though presumably the genre is not attracting the best / "is not sending us their best". Not that US culture is any prize, mind you.

*and, to a lesser extent, science fiction and fantasy generally... but I think having things start on earth (generally) means you're basically reading/watching somebody's daydream.

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 8, 2019

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
thinking about the most famous isekai of all time, a connecticut yankee in king arthurs court

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Getting transported to a fantasy world with your mom and she thrives there is a funny concept. I'm guessing that anime doesn't think so.

It's half "mom is better at video games than me" jokes and half "Hey viewers I bet you're real horny for this mom" from what I can tell having watched half an episode.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Groovelord Neato posted:

I'll never quite wrap my head around companies being able to buy another company using debt then load that debt onto the other company and suck it dry with interest payments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeK9e07Y65o

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

sirtommygunn posted:

It's half "mom is better at video games than me" jokes and half "Hey viewers I bet you're real horny for this mom" from what I can tell having watched half an episode.

Well were you?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Halloween Jack posted:

Do the rules of corporate personhood allow you (or a holding company) to own a company without being liable for any of its debt?

yeah it's called a limited liability company

there's a further thing called c corporation where the company itself is taxed on profits rather than the shareholders (vs an s corp), but you can just set up a series of overseas passthrough entities to dodge that

Halloween Jack posted:

Man, sovereign citizen poo poo is just people wishing that the rules that apply to corporations applied to them.

libertarianism in general is in large part recognizing the superstructure and wanting to be a part of it rather than wanting to destroy it

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Nov 8, 2019

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Yeah it's a good concept but it immediately goes borderline incest levels of horny

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The private equity stuff is last generation’s scheme to do something that is illegal as hell, but technically legal; therefore, it’s just and good.

It’s like how Uber, Airbnb, etc’s business model is literally “outpace the regulatory arm of the government (optional: until we establish monopoly)”.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

sirtommygunn posted:

That is honestly among the least bad isekai poo poo. So no, they're very clearly not ok.

That reminds me, they announced So I'm A Spider, So What? is getting an anime over a year ago and there's been no news on that since.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I'm actually from a small clan of eleves with enormous titties and magic, this world is my isekai story. Weird how ya'll call H cups big.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Not enough to keep watching.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

T-man posted:

I'm actually from a small clan of eleves with enormous titties and magic, this world is my isekai story. Weird how ya'll call H cups big.

You're from the Plus Sized Elf world?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Gripweed posted:

You're from the Plus Sized Elf world?

How does one get to this world. Asking for a friend.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Heath posted:

How does one get to this world. Asking for a friend.

I don't know, I only read the first few chapters. That manga is rather light on worldbuilding, and heavy on other things.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Anyone who says that everyone has gender neutral bathrooms in their houses and is fine with it never had a sister. Women be shopping, am I right fellas?

Seriously though, my sister was a bathroom tyrant who would yell at me for using the main bathroom to poop and once made a serious effort to lobby my parents to forbid me from using it. Not because I stunk it up or made messes, but because she thought I took too long and was inconsiderate of the fact that she would want to use it for primping. Not even at the moment, just in the near future. There was a sliding door between the sink and toilet/shower, and she would barge in through an unlockable door to grab Kleenex while I was on it.

And with the “classy” seven-year-old barging in on those poor boys during what should be a time of quiet contemplation confirms what I’ve always suspected: Cis men are the real victims of bathroom invasions.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

They should do an ep on Goblin Slayer.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dr Christmas posted:

Anyone who says that everyone has gender neutral bathrooms in their houses and is fine with it never had a sister. Women be shopping, am I right fellas?

Seriously though, my sister was a bathroom tyrant who would yell at me for using the main bathroom to poop and once made a serious effort to lobby my parents to forbid me from using it. Not because I stunk it up or made messes, but because she thought I took too long and was inconsiderate of the fact that she would want to use it for primping. Not even at the moment, just in the near future. There was a sliding door between the sink and toilet/shower, and she would barge in through an unlockable door to grab Kleenex while I was on it.

And with the “classy” seven-year-old barging in on those poor boys during what should be a time of quiet contemplation confirms what I’ve always suspected: Cis men are the real victims of bathroom invasions.

hi virgil

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I don’t wanna take a big stinky poo poo and leave the stall to find a total babe waiting to use it, but it’s for the greater good.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

The Muppets On PCP posted:

libertarianism in general is in large part recognizing the superstructure and wanting to be a part of it rather than wanting to destroy it
That's downright poetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Dr Christmas posted:

small business bathroom tyrants are the worst