Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Yeah, Cactus/HHH street fight is F'n awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Brock and Taker trying to kill each other in 2002 is the best cell match.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

bobkatt013 posted:

The best Hell in the Cell is and will forever be Undertaker vs HBK Badd Blood.

For some reason I completely forgot about it. You could be right. I'm a pretty big Foley mark and I remember just absolutely losing it as a 12 year old during the Cactus Jack/HHH cell match, so I'm a little biased.

The 6 way Cell match at Armageddon was pretty fun too, including Rikishi getting dropped off the cell into a dump truck. Pretty much the definition of Attitude era excess.

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Crazy bleeding Paul Heyman will always make this match own

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 8, 2013

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Fauxhawk Express posted:

This is my favourite cell match of all time.

Just two guys doing what they do best and killing the poo poo out of each other in a giant chainlink structure.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
I'm probably just thinking about this because of the discussion yesterday and the Cell, but I'd probably toss on the bookends of the Triple H/Batista feud, the 2005 Elimination Chamber and their HIAC match at Vengeance 2005. They're both great matches and the intensity level is above anything WWE has done in many years.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Anything from the HHH-Shawn Michaels feud in the early 2000s would probably be appropriate. Their Street Fight at (I think) Summerslam 2002 was really crazy.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
HBK vs Hogan Summerslam is a classic

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I'd throw HBK vs Mankind from "IYH: Mind Games" on there as well. Solid match that isn't too long and holds your attention the whole time.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!

Professor Funk posted:

Anything from the HHH-Shawn Michaels feud in the early 2000s would probably be appropriate. Their Street Fight at (I think) Summerslam 2002 was really crazy.

The SummerSlam '02 match is great, but the problem with that feud is that every singles match between them is worse than the one before it. As the feud dragged on, the matches became longer and more masturbatory. Watch the SummerSlam '02 match, watch the triple threat match at WrestleMania XX, and don't bother with any of the others.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

HBK vs Hogan Summerslam is a classic

Yeah this definitely isn't a match you'd show to someone new to wrestling. Shawn's ridiculous overselling would more than likely garner a "Wow what is this fake bullshit?" rather than a "Wow this is awesome!" reaction from a new fan.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

bradzilla posted:

Yeah this definitely isn't a match you'd show to someone new to wrestling. Shawn's ridiculous overselling would more than likely garner a "Wow what is this fake bullshit?" rather than a "Wow this is awesome!" reaction from a new fan.

This is probably reaching, but the match might be worthwhile on some level if only to show a new fan about A) how commonplace such backstage politicking is in the wrestling world and B) how that politicking can affect the quality of matches. If he just wants to try to enjoy wrestling on an aesthetic level then yeah, keep him far away from this one.

But yeah that was a really loving terrible situation and it made both guys look horrible.

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 8, 2013

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Professor Funk posted:

Only thing about the Summerslam match was that nobody even remotely thought HBK could pull something like that off still. Leading up to the match, he had been botching every ring spot. Botched pedigree (he didn't even jump) and he nearly killed himself on a plancha on Raw where his foot got stuck on the top rope because he didn't clear it. Especially with it being a street fight, the general idea was that HBK was gonna have this one night only match with a bunch of props to hide the fact he couldn't go anymore after that really serious back injury.

And then HBK be all like...HBK.

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

We had some non-wrestling watchers checking out WM with my group of friends Sunday night and one of them asked a good question.

Are Fandango's dancers (or I guess more specifically, his main one) supposed to be heels too?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Quasipox posted:

Are Fandango's dancers (or I guess more specifically, his main one) supposed to be heels too?

The main one is the only one you'll see with any regularity. I'm pretty sure those other ladies were for Mania only, and yeah, the main one is his valet and I would assume has the same alignment as him (heel).

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Quasipox posted:

We had some non-wrestling watchers checking out WM with my group of friends Sunday night and one of them asked a good question.

Yeah I've wondered this for a long time. I'm hoping one day way down the line she suddenly gets involved in one of Fandango's matches, making him win a title or something. I think the crowd would react to the dancer who previously just faded into the background doing something big out of nowhere.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Listening to the Punchcast (which is my new fave thing) has any NXT wrestler carried their gimmick on to WWE?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Manwithastick posted:

Listening to the Punchcast (which is my new fave thing) has any NXT wrestler carried their gimmick on to WWE?

Are you talking modern day NXT/FCW, or the old show NXT too?

If you're counting the old show

Kaval didn't change too much I don't think. A-Ri was basically the same, Miz's lackey/ jock guy.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Manwithastick posted:

Dean Ambrose, to an extent. He's pretty much the same character, just as part of a stable.

And I pray that Bray Wyatt stays the same.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Percy Watson didn't change much at all either, if he counts. I think he's in the Dean Ambrose zone where you do dark matches for 2 years.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

VogeGandire posted:

Dean Ambrose, to an extent. He's pretty much the same character, just as part of a stable.

Was he ever on NXT?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

triplexpac posted:

Was he ever on NXT?

Well, FCW, but he was technically on the NXT roster after the merge.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Quasipox posted:

She hasn't done anything overtly heel, but she tends to sneer at his opponents so I'd say it's a safe bet she's heel

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Other than *maybe* Elizabeth (who seemed perpetually face or at least neutral), I can't think of too many managers/valets who had a different heel/face alignment than their charges.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

flashy_mcflash posted:

Other than *maybe* Elizabeth (who seemed perpetually face or at least neutral), I can't think of too many managers/valets who had a different heel/face alignment than their charges.

Santino and Maria

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

jeffersonlives posted:

Santino and Maria

I loved that era of Santino. Him and Maria were comedy gold.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

89 posted:

Somebody's gonna have to help me out here but long ago during Samoa Joe's ROH title run, there was a tag match. It was during the Aries/Joe feud. I think Aries/Joe got into a fight before or after it. Anyways, I remember feeling like that tag match was just a perfect introduction to the whole ROH thing. Back when I would make VHS compilations, I was going to put it on a compilation that was geared as an introduction into pro wrestling for the person who isn't a pro wrestling fan yet. Just...can't remember which tag match it was other than it had Joe in it..

In another discussion, if you guys made a introduction to pro wrestling compilation that was geared into making a new fan, what would you put on there? Off the top of my head:

Ric Flair vs. Shawn Michaels (Wrestlemania)
AJ Styles vs. Chris Sabin vs. Petey Williams (Ultimate X)
Hollywood Hogan vs. The Rock (Wrestlemania X8)
Austin Aries vs. Low-Ki vs. Zema Ion vs. Jack Evans (Destination X)
Samoa Joe vs. AJ Styles vs. Chris Daniels (Original 3 Way, TNA)
Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels (Wrestlemania 26)
CM Punk vs. John Cena (Money in the Bank)
Kurt Angle vs. Shawn Michaels (Wrestlemania)
Blitzkrieg vs. Juventud Guerrera (Spring Stampede 99)
Super Crazy vs. Taijiri vs. Jerry Lynn (insert one here)
Eddie Guerrero vs. Brock Lesnar (No Way Out)
The entire segment of Taz vs. Sabu that goes from that to a WWF invasion to Shane Douglas talking poo poo to Taz challenging and defeating him for the TV title after he wrestled a full match. One of the more brilliant multilayered segment to segment booked section of a show I've ever seen.

Cena vs. Umaga Last Man Standing at Royal Rumble 2007 was awesome. For all the poo poo we can say about Cena as a character, he deserves another mention besides Money in the Bank 2011.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

jeffersonlives posted:

Santino and Maria

Ah, true. I forgot those two were even aligned. I'm so used to ignoring Santino. I guess AJ and Bryan during his heel run would probably qualify as well (since they were riffing on Savage/Liz).

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

jeffersonlives posted:

Santino and Maria

Dolph and Maria as well. Maria likes bad boys!

Kelly and Drew was heading in that direction too before it was aborted.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Face Undertaker was managed during his second title run by heel Paul Bearer, when he was being blackmailed with the secret that turned out to be him killing his parents.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
Cherry with Deuce and Domino. Why I remember this, I don't know.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

flashy_mcflash posted:

Jamie Noble Boy and blind!Nidia

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Mike Knox and Kelly Kelly is another one

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Taijiri and Torrie, too

drat there's a bunch of abusive boyfriend angles

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Yeah poo poo, I was racking my brain thinking of male managers but they sure love to portray abuse in their own special way.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Then there are the creepy angles where you win the manager for the weekend or any time period and it is a bit rapey. During this time there is a face/heel dynamic, but then the face manager turns on her previous charge to be heel since she likes being evil since good is stupid.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Chuck Palumbo and Michelle McCool

Test and Stacy Keibler

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

triplexpac posted:

Test and Stacy Keibler

Didn't that angle end with Test and Steiner discovering they enjoyed abusing Stacy?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

bobkatt013 posted:

Didn't that angle end with Test and Steiner discovering they enjoyed abusing Stacy?

Yeah that sounds about right

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Gaylord Plower posted:

drat there's a bunch of abusive boyfriend angles

It's been one of their favorite midcard tropes for awhile because it's easy heat. Cheap heat that doesn't transfer or last, but that's better than nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The original abusive boyfriend angle, which got the Dirty White Boy death threats https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9XZ-eEW8Fo

What's interesting is how suspicious Pritchard is at first, then he gives in. Should have gone with your gut instinct, Tom.