Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Lightning Knight posted:

27 yes/38 unsure among independents is surprisingly good, but “more like Bernie Sanders” is unfortunately a very vague question.

Yeah. For example, do they like his policies? His good reputation? The way he yells at kids to get off his lawn? Who knows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Ice Phisherman posted:

Yeah. For example, do they like his policies? His good reputation? The way he yells at kids to get off his lawn? Who knows?

His demographics?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

quote:

Crowley won the Working Families Party nomination, despite losing the Democratic one. After Ocasio-Cortez won, WFP wanted to put her on their ballot line for the November election, and asked him to vacate. But to remove him as their nominee from the ballot, the Working Families Party would essentially have to nominate Crowley for another position on the ballot — and he’d have to accept.

“If they nominated for him the Assembly or the state Senate or an office like that, and he consented to it, he could get off the ballot,” said New York-based election lawyer Jerry Goldfeder in an interview with Vox.

In a state with so many third-party candidates, this can be confusing. In fact, Ocasio-Cortez recently received the write-in nomination to be the Reform Party candidate ... in a completely different district she wasn’t running in.

As the New York Times’s Lisa W. Foderaro pointed out, the thinking here would be for WFP to nominate Crowley for a seat that he’d have little-to-no chance of winning, “like a county clerkship in a region of the state dominated by the other party.” Some positions don’t have residency requirements, and a lawyer for the Working Families Party says it should be easy for Crowley to do this.

“I respect Congressman Crowley’s concerns, but there are common, straightforward and legal ways to remove candidates from the ballot in cases like this,” said WFP counsel Alex Rabb in a statement. “There are offices around the state for which the Congressmember could be nominated. The New York State Court of Appeals has found that it is standard for parties to substitute candidates after a primary election, and that the practice does not violate the letter or the spirit of the law.”

lyin joe crowley

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ice Phisherman posted:

The way he degrades women.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

absent ranked choice voting, fusion voting lets you quantify how many people think "i'd prefer Person A over Person B, but I don't like Person A either"

So your argument is that in 2016 only the 3.7% of Democrats in NY14 who voted WFP didn't like Crowley or would have preferred a different more left-wing candidate? Stunning condemnation of the left wing of the party here.
Al fusion voting does is is allow for grift machines. Hello Women's Choice party.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

A Family Of Woodchucks Ate Paul Ryan's Car

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm late, but DaveWoo, Skex, and anyone else defending Crowley/attacking Ocasio-Cortez needs to first justify Crowley intentionally staying on the ballot. He isn't just not wanting to do work himself (not a good look for a twenty+ year politician, on a tangent), he is refusing to let other people do it for him. He wants to be on the ballot. If the best defense you can come up with is, "well it's not going to make a big difference, he's just deliberately insulting her, really she's the bad one for letting his antagonism affect her," then you're basically conceding the point that he's scum and are just arguing around it because it's inconvenient for you to acknowledge.

Seriously, anything past that doesn't matter; until that's addressed, the only possibility is that Crowley is deliberately loving over Ocasio-Cortez and you're just trying to debate how much that actually matters. That doesn't make him not a lovely person who's openly lying and screwing over someone he pledged to work with, even if you manage to come up with the least awful reason why he might be doing so.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 13, 2018

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Cruising the information superhighway
From The Files Of the Blue Dog Democrats, July 13 2018:

quote:

“I’ll be 71 years old in August, you’re going to whip me? Kiss my you know what,” Sen. Joe Manchin of West Virginia told the site when asked if Schumer could influence which way he’ll vote.

Manchin, along with Senators Heidi Heitkamp of North Dakota and Joe Donnelly of Indiana, all voted to confirm Supreme Court Justice Neil Gorsuch, Trump’s first selection for the high court, last year. All three also told Politico that there’s not a goddamn thing Schumer can do about their votes on Kavanaugh, with Donnelly saying, “My decision won’t have anything to do with Chuck Schumer,” and Heitkamp vowing “to vote the way I’m going to vote regardless of what the leader says.”

That rebellion in the ranks extends beyond the Gorsuch-supporting senators. Senator Claire McCaskill, of Missouri, who’s facing a tough re-election race, told Politico that “Chuck knows better” than to try to influence which way she’ll vote.

“He doesn’t come to me and say: ‘You’ve got to vote with us on this.’ He knows I’ll tell him to take a flyin’ leap,” McCaskill said. “I’m going to do what I think is right. It has nothing to do with the party.”

https://splinternews.com/turns-out-you-cant-count-on-centrist-democrats-for-a-go-1827574012

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, sounds about right.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Honestly, the more I think about it, the more that quoted article seems kinda useless. They're going to say they can't be whipped regardless of if that's actually true. I still don't trust Manchin et al to vote correctly, but poo poo like this isn't why.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah those guys sound like they are going to be REALLY useful come 2020.

We can't ditch their worthless asses soon enough so anyone crying everytime their shittiness is pointed out should pound sand if they actually want to accomplish anything after hopefully taking congress.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jul 13, 2018

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
WFP needs to just nominate him for something and then let him accept or decline the nomination.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

King of Solomon posted:

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more that quoted article seems kinda useless. They're going to say they can't be whipped regardless of if that's actually true. I still don't trust Manchin et al to vote correctly, but poo poo like this isn't why.

I simply do not know how to respond to this, you think it's ok for sitting Dems to publicly bray that they don't give a gently caress about leadership and will do whatever they want on a vital Supreme Court pick? They're not even giving good reasons for this, they're just saying "I don't need to listen, kiss my rear end"

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I simply do not know how to respond to this, you think it's ok for sitting Dems to publicly bray that they don't give a gently caress about leadership and will do whatever they want on a vital Supreme Court pick? They're not even giving good reasons for this, they're just saying "I don't need to listen, kiss my rear end"

I think what they're saying is effectively white noise. It's loving meaningless.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

I think what they're saying is effectively white noise. It's loving meaningless.

You think Democratic Senators saying "I can't be whipped to vote with my caucus, I'm gonna do whatever I want, kiss my rear end" is meaningless?

loving brainworms infestations, man.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

WampaLord posted:

You think Democratic Senators saying "I can't be whipped to vote with my caucus, I'm gonna do whatever I want, kiss my rear end" is meaningless?

loving brainworms infestations, man.

I do think that, because politicians lie all the loving time. Are you suggesting that we should actually care when John McCain has deep concerns about things?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

I do think that, because politicians lie all the loving time.

Gee I wonder why so many people don't bother voting and are easily swayed by an outsider claiming he's not like politicians.

You shouldn't accept "lying all the time" as the status quo from your elected representative, you loving smoothbrain.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

WampaLord posted:

Gee I wonder why so many people don't bother voting and are easily swayed by an outsider claiming he's not like politicians.

You realize that this is exactly what Manchin, McCaskill, and Donnelly are doing in that quote, right?

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Mr Hootington posted:

All the centrists [...] are secret nazis.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
https://twitter.com/ella_mahony/status/1017472837563625473?s=21

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Being unwilling to do something just because party leadership tells you is in general a good thing, since the people that voted for you voted for you and not for Chuck Schumer. Also because, let's be honest, the last thing in the world we want is everyone voting lockstep with Schumer of all people. In that sense, it is white noise.

The problem, of course, being that in this particular hypothetical Dem leadership is on the right side of the issue, and therefore what they ought to be saying is "I don't need to be whipped on this issue because I'd vote against Trump on my own."

e: These are also the kind of statements that actually legitimately help a politician in a red state. Rural voters probably don't give a poo poo about bank deregulation, but they sure as hell aren't a big fan of being controlled by coastal Democratic elites. Even if a congressperson voted the right way every time, they'd still want to talk the talk about how Schumer can't tell them what to do.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 13, 2018

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sure, but if they actually vote for Kavanaugh, while some Republicans vote against him and thus he could have been stopped, then they need to be thrown out on their asses.

It'd be great if this were twelve-dimensional chess to make the Republicans think they plan to vote for him and thus bait out some no votes from particular GOP senators, but I feel that's not that likely.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Here's another election where the progressive beats the centrist and the centrist immediately turns around and starts running a spoiler campaign:

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2018/07/10/former-us-attorney-independent-candidate-michigan/770650002/

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/Wilson__Valdez/status/1017833678565756929?s=19

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
lol come on Glenn that one is such a gimme.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Roland Jones posted:

Sure, but if they actually vote for Kavanaugh, while some Republicans vote against him and thus he could have been stopped, then they need to be thrown out on their asses.

It'd be great if this were twelve-dimensional chess to make the Republicans think they plan to vote for him and thus bait out some no votes from particular GOP senators, but I feel that's not that likely.

Yeah, for sure, let me be clear that anyone who votes for Kavanaugh is either a fascist or a collaborator and should be permanently removed from politics at the very least. But I would expect them to say what they said any time they were asked about getting whipped, no matter how they planned to vote, so I'm not upset about those statements.

Of course, I do think Joe Manchin et al are fash so I'm fully prepared to be upset at them actually legit selling out America.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Mornacale posted:

Yeah, for sure, let me be clear that anyone who votes for Kavanaugh is either a fascist or a collaborator and should be permanently removed from politics at the very least. But I would expect them to say what they said any time they were asked about getting whipped, no matter how they planned to vote, so I'm not upset about those statements.

Of course, I do think Joe Manchin et al are fash so I'm fully prepared to be upset at them actually legit selling out America.

:agreed:

I absolutely expect Manchin in particular to gently caress us over.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

VitalSigns posted:

So you want third parties to actually run on things, but only if they're not going to do well enough to let Republicans win, thereby defeating the whole purpose of third parties actually running on things.

What is the benefit here, exactly?

There is no difference between cuomo and a republican. gently caress you for supporting an R in D clothing.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/nychange/status/1017451390094987264

gently caress you cuomo

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Can't wait to leave the Gov line blank in November.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

https://twitter.com/CasMudde/status/1018128940836065281

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Here's another election where the progressive beats the centrist and the centrist immediately turns around and starts running a spoiler campaign:

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2018/07/10/former-us-attorney-independent-candidate-michigan/770650002/

The centrist has a shitload of support in the comments.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Matt Zerella posted:

Can't wait to leave the Gov line blank in November.

You don’t think Nixon is going to win the primary or did I miss something?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1018176833894993921

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

:laffo:

Oh my god Sacha Baron Cohen is a genius

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Holy gently caress.

"They assured me it's what Benjamin Netanyahu wanted..."

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

just following netanyahu's orders?? :confused:

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

ahaha that's amazing

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

This country got hosed so unbelievably hard, ha ha ha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Cohen is a goddamn treasure.

• Locked thread