Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

my bony fealty posted:

I used to hate em too but now I'm zen and know that every court needs its jester

Jesters speak truth to power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Butternubs posted:

Please allow me to quickly Mick West this one:

The asymmetry makes me super skeptical tbh, how is it perfectly side-on to the camera but asymmetrical, and the shading on the plane doesn't match the shading on the implied shape of the object. The object is lighter in the top as if lit from above whereas the plane is darker on it's upper wing, as if it's banking toward a sun which is so low in the sky only the lower, sunward wing is lit while the fuselage shields the upper wing. It really does just look like this to me:

It being symmetrical vertically but asymmetrical longitudinally just screams reflection to me. It looks like the photographer is standing on a hill taking a photo of a calm lake.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
My initial impression was that the person had found a way to composite 2 or more photographs, so it could be a simple trick created using 2 photos where the white part is transparent

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
my take is that there's a lil alien in there driving it

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Slavvy posted:

The asymmetry makes me super skeptical tbh, how is it perfectly side-on to the camera but asymmetrical, and the shading on the plane doesn't match the shading on the implied shape of the object. The object is lighter in the top as if lit from above whereas the plane is darker on it's upper wing, as if it's banking toward a sun which is so low in the sky only the lower, sunward wing is lit while the fuselage shields the upper wing. It really does just look like this to me:

It being symmetrical vertically but asymmetrical longitudinally just screams reflection to me. It looks like the photographer is standing on a hill taking a photo of a calm lake.

The ufo is actually an island but in a shocking twist the airplane turns out to be Nessie

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

D-Pad posted:

Mick West really is just the worst. I've always wanted disclosure for the sake of disclosure but now I also really want it so that he can be a complete loving laughingstock for the rest of his days. I really hate the guy.
IIRC the reason he's so horny for debunking is that he read abduction accounts when he was a kid and he's still mad at how terrified he was of those stories, saddest poo poo I ever heard

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Slavvy posted:

:chloe:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

JNCO BILOBA posted:

it’s just so simultaneously unnerving and exciting.

IKR?

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

so what the gently caress is that thing

looks like an imperial cruiser pointed directly at the camera so it's length isn't perceptible

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

whoa how cool

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Look at it dude. It's perfectly symmetrical vertically.

Let's then assume the photographer is on the ground pointing the camera slightly upwards (I'm assuming the plane isn't flying at the same level as the camera in a deep valley or something), maybe like 20 degrees inclination if the thing is quite big and quite far away.

For the ufo to be perfectly symmetrical on the vertical axis, it would have to be slightly banked at just the right angle so as to be orientated directly side-on to the camera, otherwise the bottom half would appear different to the top and the center line wouldn't be a perfectly straight line.

Like seriously, I'm not a skeptic, I'm not a Neil, and this just looks like a landscape photo on a foggy still day to me.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Slavvy posted:

it's not, tho?

the teensy nubbin on the right is, but the top has a slight bulge on the right near the peak and the concavity of the left side is offset top to bottom. it's hard to tell exactly how they're shaped because of the jpg artifacting, but unless we get a higher res scan with fewer artifacts i would not call that "perfectly symmetrical" at all

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

D-Pad posted:

Mick West really is just the worst. I've always wanted disclosure for the sake of disclosure but now I also really want it so that he can be a complete loving laughingstock for the rest of his days. I really hate the guy.

thps was so good though... suicide machines anyone???

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

mick should hang out with tony hawk and smoke some weed imo

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

https://twitter.com/TheZignal/status/1558183658539962371?s=20&t=2r5CUS339Mn-kE_mWpAGBg

How are we still doing these kinds of videos in 2022 and thinking it will mean anything to people

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

The story doesn't even make sense, it was flying around for 10 minutes with the jet but they only managed that one photo? huh? Last shot in the roll I guess what a miracle. Isn't it a good thing when someone debunks these obvious hoaxes? Why would you want to believe obvious bullshit and get angry about it being exposed? :confused:

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

this is going to go down as a reflection, balloon, or forgery

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Jazerus posted:

mick should hang out with tony hawk and smoke some weed imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5ndE91g-aU

:tinfoil:

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012

Pryor on Fire posted:

The story doesn't even make sense, it was flying around for 10 minutes with the jet but they only managed that one photo? huh? Last shot in the roll I guess what a miracle. Isn't it a good thing when someone debunks these obvious hoaxes? Why would you want to believe obvious bullshit and get angry about it being exposed? :confused:

Yeah, Mick West in particular can be annoying because he sometimes offers explanations that are just as implausible as aliens but overall it's good to try and debunk every sighting. If you can't offer a more likely, earthly, explanation then the only one that's left is that it's ETs/Future humans/Atlanteans/Angels/Ghosts/Bigfoots.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I think I read there were 6 photos total fwiw

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Let's then assume the photographer is on the ground pointing the camera slightly upwards (I'm assuming the plane isn't flying at the same level as the camera in a deep valley or something), maybe like 20 degrees inclination if the thing is quite big and quite far away.

For the ufo to be perfectly symmetrical on the vertical axis, it would have to be slightly banked at just the right angle so as to be orientated directly side-on to the camera, otherwise the bottom half would appear different to the top and the center line wouldn't be a perfectly straight line.

Like seriously, I'm not a skeptic, I'm not a Neil, and this just looks like a landscape photo on a foggy still day to me.

Except that's definitely a ridgeline at the bottom, they're high up. So I think your assumptions about distance are thrown off because oh that.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

sharknado slashfic posted:

I think I read there were 6 photos total fwiw

ya i read this in one of the articles too

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
I find the photo completely convincing and now believe in visitors

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Well frankly it's about time

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Uglycat posted:

I find the photo completely convincing and now believe in visitors

That's right

You can expect a personal visit yourself any day now

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Gumball Gumption posted:

Except that's definitely a ridgeline at the bottom, they're high up. So I think your assumptions about distance are thrown off because oh that.

Imo that ridgeline is just the shore of the lake, I read the analysis too and the only thing it convinced me of is that it's an undoctored, 'real' photo and the person knows a shitload about film photography.

If there are more photos then show them!! This is exactly like the bullshitters that totally definitely have proof just off screen in the back of their Subaru that the journalist saw.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

A protector of humanity

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

SniperWoreConverse posted:

A protector of humanity

A friend to all children everywhere

Slavvy posted:

Imo that ridgeline is just the shore of the lake, I read the analysis too and the only thing it convinced me of is that it's an undoctored, 'real' photo and the person knows a shitload about film photography.

If there are more photos then show them!! This is exactly like the bullshitters that totally definitely have proof just off screen in the back of their Subaru that the journalist saw.

Lake? As I recall there is a valley there that the DoD or whatever they call them over in Britain doing their low level flying over. I don't recall anything about a lake being mentioned except in the funny Mick West mockup.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXkMfyjo7PU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Slavvy posted:

The plane is flying upside down if that's a lake bro wtf are you on about

we can see the tops of trees and a far ridge down at the bottom of the pic...like seriously

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ratios and Tendency posted:

The plane is flying upside down if that's a lake bro wtf are you on about

we can see the tops of trees and a far ridge down at the bottom of the pic...like seriously

Where? I just see some subtle blurs that could easily be a shoreline. Obviously in this scenario the plane isn't a plane but just a rock or log or something. Literally why can't the camera be on a hill like 30m tall and the trees are halfway down the hill?

Like if they produce the other photos, fine I'll eat crow. But that is not remotely convincing.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Some of yall missing half the point of the Calvine photo which is that it's been an artifact of mythological status in ufology for decades now, something that could very well have been destroyed a long time ago leaving only a black and white print and mockups behind.

Turns out it's real and we get to see it and that's very cool no matter what is is.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Where? I just see some subtle blurs that could easily be a shoreline. Obviously in this scenario the plane isn't a plane but just a rock or log or something. Literally why can't the camera be on a hill like 30m tall and the trees are halfway down the hill?

Like if they produce the other photos, fine I'll eat crow. But that is not remotely convincing.

Agreed, the tree in the corner looks like it's angled, assuming the tree is roughly perpendicular to the ground, the camera is tilted down towards the shore.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

my bony fealty posted:

Some of yall missing half the point of the Calvine photo which is that it's been an artifact of mythological status in ufology for decades now, something that could very well have been destroyed a long time ago leaving only a black and white print and mockups behind.

yeah, it's a big deal and the Overton Window should totally shift from whatever irrelevant and unimportant news is dominating the cycle to cover this unprecedented revelation that changes our understanding of history altogether

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Uglycat posted:

yeah, it's a big deal and the Overton Window should totally shift from whatever irrelevant and unimportant news is dominating the cycle to cover this unprecedented revelation that changes our understanding of history altogether

Im sorry your tiny brain can only handle one thing at a time. what's that like

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VTFx648MvU&t=1335s

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Uglycat posted:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Uglycat posted:

Christ you're tiresome, go somewhere else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Just zoom in geez

Edit: geez n'uts

Only registered members can see post attachments!