Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Namtab posted:

My hope is that those people then take a look in a mirror

I am sure that the denizens of the SA anime forum present their immaculately-sculpted bodies to their best advantage at all times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Mary seems cooler now and I'm hype for Moguzo's new helmet next episode

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I thought this was a nice episode about the main character shifting his priorities but I have a serious translation problem. The last line the entire episode hinges on is some non-sequitur like "[Mary] thinks she doesn't have the right to be a healer," which doesn't make any sense considering she's signed on as a healer and it sounds like she's taking up space to stand around feeling sorry for herself. The correct line is "That's when she stopped smiling... She felt that a healer [who let her party die] doesn't have the right to smile." It's supposed to explain why she refuses to connect with the party (like when she forces herself to turn down the invitation) but is sort of doing so or wanting to do so despite herself. Someone missed a word.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.
She just knows that as depressing as this show is, that as soon as she smiles someone is dying and she is going to level up from a shell of a person to a broken shell of a person.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Caphi posted:

I thought this was a nice episode about the main character shifting his priorities but I have a serious translation problem. The last line the entire episode hinges on is some non-sequitur like "[Mary] thinks she doesn't have the right to be a healer," which doesn't make any sense considering she's signed on as a healer and it sounds like she's taking up space to stand around feeling sorry for herself. The correct line is "That's when she stopped smiling... She felt that a healer [who let her party die] doesn't have the right to smile." It's supposed to explain why she refuses to connect with the party (like when she forces herself to turn down the invitation) but is sort of doing so or wanting to do so despite herself. Someone missed a word.

Yeah, I had a feeling that wasn't exactly worded right. I figured Mary was like that due to whatever party she was in before but jeez, didn't expect it to be that harsh.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Mary's just way overlevelled for the content, and only chumping on goblins because it's a way to survive with minimal risk of permadeath.

Shame that the production this episode seemed to be falling apart, lots of low quality scenes, lots of low quality close-ups.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
She lost to Kobolds the step up from Goblins so she is not that much better.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I also appreciate the parallels between Manato and Mary: both made the same mistake, and suffered for it.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Moving up from Goblins to Kobolds is something that can happen.

The gang isn't going to even come close to facing off against those mobs, considering they barely win against gobs with an advantage in numbers.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also I decided to start reading the novel which I have enjoyed so far. And while I don't intend to bring any spoilers this line is too hilarious not to share.

quote:

”Haruhiro decided at that moment, if the line were to appear when he was standing behind Ranta, he would [BACKSTAB] the poo poo out of the little prick.”

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Everybody Hates Raymond Ranta

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXgUq5QbM-Y&t=2950s

alternate op

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Eagerly awaiting the Real Akiba Boys version

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Caphi posted:

I think the way it was worded works better because it makes it an issue of self-confidence.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I really like this show

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Phobophilia posted:

Shame that the production this episode seemed to be falling apart, lots of low quality scenes, lots of low quality close-ups.

I love the writing but it's definitely feeling like the visual production is turning into that episode of Paranoia Agent. There hasn't been any news about the entire staff of an anime studio being murdered one by one, has there?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I really like the art style too. It's too bad that their consistency and anatomy is getting hosed up like this

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Gotta have a montage (montage!)

I actually appreciate having those in the show, it acknowledges the passage of time and makes events feel less rushed. Too many stories end up feeling strange and compressed when they don't get it right; looking at you, Episode VII.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

that was a good episode! it's nice to see both Ranta and Mary open up to the party a bit, and everybody reconsider how they're acting within the party. the little overview of Damuro goblin society was interesting, and i'm glad the series has been deliberate enough to give unique moments like that. the party progress overview feels a little too gamey considering literally everything has a Skill Name, but that's the only thing to bug me.

hyped for a showdown with the elite goblins soon!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

didn't notice any big animation faults (few weird faces from ranta but who cares) this episode, gj team.

also apparently the reason every episode so far has had an insert song is because the show is sponsored by the company that owns the band that makes those songs. the characters originally spoke during a few of them, according to shihoru's va, but the song was deemed more important

Rondino
Mar 5, 2008
Are you talking about this tweet from Shihoru's VA?
https://twitter.com/teruiharuka/status/688749847201972224
I think she's referring to recording dialogue for the bath scene at the end of episode 2 that was never used (because it was actually for the blu-ray exclusive footage that hadn't been announced yet).

They're definitely trying to promote the band, though. This show is the first thing they've done.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it did seem like an excessive number of insert songs, that's a cool little fact

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
I love the RPG "mechanics". Healer ran out of MP, we're hosed. We grinded so hard we earned a title.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

dogsicle posted:

the party progress overview feels a little too gamey considering literally everything has a Skill Name, but that's the only thing to bug me.

While this is definitely true to an extent, at least the party actually has to physically learn and practice the skills at their respective guilds, rather than just magically being imbued with them. And even then, they take an amount of effort that makes sense given the nature of the skill (like how Ranta's style has skills that involve jumping around and this can tire him out as a result).

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

The fat frog is back!

None of these episodes really wow me but I like the show as a whole (and I'm glad there weren't any horrific animation screwups this week). I look forward to the vengeance episode and hope that they'll get a second season.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Fair amount of Yume's rear end in this episode.

... Yumass?

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

GOBLIN SLAYERS :black101:

That was a nice episode. There might be quite a lot of song montages in the show, but I like them. Maybe I'm just a sucker for these montages of skills, little action bits, sneaking around and occasionally eating sandwiches.
It's about time we got a sweet nasty big action scene, though, and it sure looks like there's one coming up.

I'm still weirded out by the skill thing. It's perfectly normal moves that they learned... Instead, arcane and obscure techniques like "yelling hella loud at your enemies" or "quickly jump back" or "get better at aiming" have proper names and stuff. Uuuuuuh, okay? And levels are apparently an actual thing in this world? Really strange how RPG mechanics are around, but it's pretty much realistic, with the exception of the mages of course. Oh well. It's kinda charming.

Big fan of the Boss Cobold, too. That was one hell of an entrance with the swirling dust clouds and whatnot. Since it looks like the goblins are going down next episode, I hope that guy turns out to be the "final boss" of the season. Calling it now: Haruhiro's critical strike thingie (the move where he suddenly sees weakspots highlighted as green glow) will save the day against that guy when, in a sudden epiphany, he suddenly understands what it actually DOES :toot:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Torquemadras posted:

GOBLIN SLAYERS :black101:

That was a nice episode. There might be quite a lot of song montages in the show, but I like them. Maybe I'm just a sucker for these montages of skills, little action bits, sneaking around and occasionally eating sandwiches.
It's about time we got a sweet nasty big action scene, though, and it sure looks like there's one coming up.

I'm still weirded out by the skill thing. It's perfectly normal moves that they learned... Instead, arcane and obscure techniques like "yelling hella loud at your enemies" or "quickly jump back" or "get better at aiming" have proper names and stuff. Uuuuuuh, okay? And levels are apparently an actual thing in this world? Really strange how RPG mechanics are around, but it's pretty much realistic, with the exception of the mages of course. Oh well. It's kinda charming.

Big fan of the Boss Cobold, too. That was one hell of an entrance with the swirling dust clouds and whatnot. Since it looks like the goblins are going down next episode, I hope that guy turns out to be the "final boss" of the season. Calling it now: Haruhiro's critical strike thingie (the move where he suddenly sees weakspots highlighted as green glow) will save the day against that guy when, in a sudden epiphany, he suddenly understands what it actually DOES :toot:

There are no levels. When they say they leveled up they just mean they got more skills and gear.

In order to get skills they just have to go to their guild and pay some money to for the teacher there to teach them a new move. Which do actully result in some innate powers and heightened Ability. Ranta quickly jump back thing actually makes him sort of zoom backwards. Yume's new move gives her temporary heightened senses and allows her to see things moving slower so she can aim better.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

About the skills, at one point they mention how it isn't always for the best to just learn as many skills as possible, and even the most basic skill can be used to great effect. For example, Moguzo very frequently uses his smash attack (the one where he goes "thank you!"), and it's mentioned that he has become so accurate with it that it is extremely effective, despite being a beginner warrior skill.

Things are game-y in the sense that you seem to be required to be the relevant class to effectively use any given skill and can't learn them without being formally taught at the guild, but at the same time stuff like HP doesn't really exist and hitting any monster in the head with a bastard sword is going to gently caress it up regardless of whether the sword is expensive or the person using it is "high level."

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Ytlaya posted:

Things are game-y in the sense that you seem to be required to be the relevant class to effectively use any given skill and can't learn them without being formally taught at the guild, but at the same time stuff like HP doesn't really exist and hitting any monster in the head with a bastard sword is going to gently caress it up regardless of whether the sword is expensive or the person using it is "high level."

I'm reminded of MUD systems because of Manato's line in an early episode about how he was able to staunch bleeding, but that he didn't (yet?) have the capacity to replace lost blood. There's a hitpoint system, but it's not numerically displayed. On the other hand, there are critical hits that will cause immediate death/incapacitation, like landing "a heavy strike that explodes the heart and lungs with a bone-shattering blow to the chest". Heavy strike doesn't do that much damage, but clearly the fight is over.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I'm glad that the hunter girl has gotten better with her bow and arrow.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Torquemadras posted:

I'm still weirded out by the skill thing. It's perfectly normal moves that they learned... Instead, arcane and obscure techniques like "yelling hella loud at your enemies" or "quickly jump back" or "get better at aiming" have proper names and stuff. Uuuuuuh, okay? And levels are apparently an actual thing in this world? Really strange how RPG mechanics are around, but it's pretty much realistic, with the exception of the mages of course. Oh well. It's kinda charming

They said that Ranta is the only one who yells out the skill names, so they just have really fancy names for a dodge and so on (guess to extort money from their pupils) but you're not required to "use" them per say.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Whether this is the case or not, I like to think that skills in Grimgar are literal physical/magical actions that they had to train specifically to be able to do well enough to use, like learning different skills in a sport or a martial art. A lot of real-world skills have pretty fancy and totally arbitrary names as well.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Yeah, at current pace I think the show will probably go through Volume 2 of the novels; there isn't quite enough of Volume 1 to fill another 5 episodes, and Volume 2 can probably be compressed more than Volume 1 has been.

Definitely think they've done a stellar job at adapting this into an anime, though, not least by giving the story enough room to breathe instead of trying to keep the standard 4-episodes-per-book pace.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I'm curious if the LN ever address the whole thing where they've been transported from Japan, and that this might not be the only time given that Mary's old party had a bunch of Japanese names in it as well. I doubt the anime will ever address that again given its length.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Argas posted:

I'm curious if the LN ever address the whole thing where they've been transported from Japan, and that this might not be the only time given that Mary's old party had a bunch of Japanese names in it as well. I doubt the anime will ever address that again given its length.

Assuming summaries I've read are accurate...

Maybe. They haven't yet, but some stuff in the most recent volumes at least implies that the parallel world thing is more than just the MacGuffin to justify the series' premise.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
That episode was good and cool! Glad they're becoming friends with Mary and coming together as a group more :) Another shot of Fat Frog is always appreciated too! All these characters are really cute, even Ranta when he's not being obnoxious

This show is really pretty :stwoon: I hope the end is good because so far I wouldn't mind rewatching a bluray release to see if they touch up some of the animation stuff

Ka0 posted:

I'm glad that the hunter girl has gotten better with her bow and arrow.

:yeah:

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I'm also glad we're finally seeing the end of the whole "boo hoo my party died/manatee died" grieving and moving forward.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i really liked that episode

the visualization of critical hits was cool

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Good episode.

The background in this part does look kinda weird:
http://puu.sh/nhB89/cd82278c1e.webm
The style doesn't really lend itself to that kind of perspective/parallax effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Mary finally being in the ED picture was nice :3:

Unless she was there last week too and I just missed it

• Locked thread