Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Internet Kraken posted:

So these people think the more basic something is, the better for you it is?

In that case, they should try chugging a bottle of bleach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ6Ex8E1q50

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

Aesop Poprock posted:

I tried three separate burger-donut combinations cause they were so hyped up for a while and they're just awful. It doesn't go together at all and it's just an unpleasant experience all around. I have yet to try a burger with peanut butter but apparently that's legit not supposed to be as bad

A local chain had a peanut butter jalapeño burger that was great, but it would be easy to overdo it on the PB I think.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!
Yeah, I always thought the PB burger was like a Midwestern greasy spoon diner thing

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Aesop Poprock posted:

I have yet to try a burger with peanut butter but apparently that's legit not supposed to be as bad

Peanut butter in salad rolls is a pretty common thing, I can't imagine that adding meat would be a problem.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

GopherFlats
Mar 16, 2011

SerialKilldeer posted:

It's not just Whole Paycheck; I've seen things like that at Albertsons. They're called "infusions" and there was also one with watermelon.

Yeah, there's actually a store near me which sells "alkaline" water and related diet products, and they have a poster in their window showing a chart like this:

(I should note that I live in Southern California.)

So citric acid isn't acidic? Got it.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

SerialKilldeer posted:

It's not just Whole Paycheck; I've seen things like that at Albertsons. They're called "infusions" and there was also one with watermelon.

Yeah, there's actually a store near me which sells "alkaline" water and related diet products, and they have a poster in their window showing a chart like this:

(I should note that I live in Southern California.)

So "bad" food = acidic, and "good" food = alkaline, even though that's not how pH works at all? Did they hope that just putting their product among a bunch of fruits and vegetables with a pseudo-scientific graph would confuse idiots into buying their product? yes

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

I think my favorite part of that stupid chart is that canned cola and cola served in a cup next to a hamburger are at different acidity levels.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Peanut and meat is a common combination in many, many cuisines around the world so it's not as if peanut butter on a burger is something that's going to be surprising or weird.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

Scathach posted:

What the gently caress :cripes:

Shoe food is also a thing. A bad, bad thing.

Sorry to bring up the first page again but someone has to know all I can think of is this. Diirty. A very, very bad thing indeed. Seriously it wouldn't surprise me if they did serve it with a comb for the utensil.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

The Sausages posted:

Sorry to bring up the first page again but someone has to know all I can think of is this. Diirty. A very, very bad thing indeed. Seriously it wouldn't surprise me if they did serve it with a comb for the utensil.

They are just trying to steal Bill Bailey's style.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Who's for Organic Nutty Bruce being a good thread title

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The gently caress is an activated almond?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

cash crab posted:

Who's for Organic Nutty Bruce being a good thread title

looks bad Bruce

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

The gently caress is an activated almond?

Soaked in water.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

Activated asparagus

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
I like how the aspargus water reads "Warning: this product is not pasteurized and therefore may contain harmful bacteria".

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

We like to laugh at stupid remedies and health potions from back in the day but we are really no better. Possibly worse since we have science now and people choose to ignore it.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Welp time to put radium pills up our butts. Might as well with the rest of this woo woo bullshit.

E: haha "vegan protein charcoal drink" They've gone so far away from eating food they're eating burnt, dead trees.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Scathach fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 9, 2016

BrownieMinusEye
Apr 22, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Scathach posted:

Welp time to put radium pills up our butts. Might as well with the rest of this woo woo bullshit.

Haha, activated charcoal is a real thing and will bind and sequester various charged molecules. Ironic that they claim the "activated" poo poo allows you to digest more nutrients when that stuff will do the exact opposite. Hello iron deficiency!

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

BrownieMinusEye posted:

Haha, activated charcoal is a real thing and will bind and sequester various charged molecules. Ironic that they claim the "activated" poo poo allows you to digest more nutrients when that stuff will do the exact opposite. Hello iron deficiency!

activated anemia

Sudsygoat
Jul 19, 2013

Scathach posted:

E: haha "vegan protein charcoal drink" They've gone so far away from eating food they're eating burnt, dead trees.

How exactly is a drink made of charcoal "100% raw, never ever heated"? Are they relying on people not knowing what charcoal is being the primary purchasers of a drink made of charcoal?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

NESguerilla posted:

We like to laugh at stupid remedies and health potions from back in the day but we are really no better. Possibly worse since we have science now and people choose to ignore it.

Completely worse. People in the old days didn't have the wonders of science and knowledge of stuff like germs causing disease, so a lot of old healthcare was extremely rough. People would try pretty much anything because they really didn't know better and really only had word of mouth to go on when it came to what worked and what didn't.

Now? If you live in the modern world its easy to find out that a bunch of these miracle cures are bullshit. Its funny when you just laugh at people buying into the latest crazy diet fad but not so much when it comes to stuff like Chinese folk medicine, where rich assholes drive species extinct for their magic healing powers.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Sorbocules posted:

How exactly is a drink made of charcoal "100% raw, never ever heated"? Are they relying on people not knowing what charcoal is being the primary purchasers of a drink made of charcoal?

The juice isn't heated! The ingredients are irrelevant. :pseudo:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Someone should sell bottled urine. Say it's the diluted essence of Tibetan ponies or yaks or something, full of super minerals and essential amino acids from a diet rich in alpine grasses and water from natural river rocks, used as an ingredient in remote parts of Asia for centuries because it rejuvenates skin, boosts your immune system, etc. It'd be no less ridiculous and people would love the shock value and get to be sanctimoniously edgy to their dumb boring suburban friends.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

BrownieMinusEye posted:

Isn't it ionic? :rimshot:

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

You're not David Attenborough

Scathach posted:

I will defend until the death the right of human beings to put almost anything (not including expandable foam!) up their butts, apart from radium:

http://www.neatorama.com/2013/11/18/The-Strange-Fate-of-Eben-Byers/

Because he was the millionaire trailblazer for the thousands of ignored victims of 'phossy jaw', and because he took the radium 'cure' in an attempt to enhance his middle-aged vitality, rather than to earn a bare living, the horrible death of Eben Byers is usually reported as a historical curiosity. But well before he died, he understood his grotesque prognosis. And he still invited people to see exactly what had happened to him.

So here's to you, Eben Byers, a man whose only known crime was to afford unlimited doses of quack 'cures'. At least once a year, I and many others raise a toast to you in pure, unadulterated beer.

And thanks to Byers, I used to think that I couldn't be enraged by fake medicine any more, unless it was literally toxic. Hey, charcoal swill will harm nothing apart from the user's wallet, and it's relatively cheap. But...that Tibetan caterpillar yartsa/cordiceps fungus treatment is technically harmless, but clearly doing widespread societal damage everywhere it finds a market, simply because it's rare, and madly expensive.

How to stop this madness? I just don't know.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Carnival of Shrews posted:

How to stop this madness? I just don't know.

Complete. Global. Genocide. Anything less just won't work.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The only way this stuff will stop is when a product actually does what they claim to do. Otherwise people are always going to buy these miracle products, forever chasing the dream of an impossible cure or low effort diet.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Well fixing the education system and teaching people how to be skeptical and think critically can help.

But that's extremely naive and optimistic. Most people need to be saved from themselves.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Granted I don't really know what I'm talking about here, but if it actually did anything at all wouldn't drinking activated charcoal filter out/store nutrients as well as probably do terrible things to your butt?

I'm guessing it just does nothing though.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
lifehack: add bleach to every meal to balance out the acids from your other ingredients

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.

NESguerilla posted:

Granted I don't really know what I'm talking about here, but if it actually did anything at all wouldn't drinking activated charcoal filter out/store nutrients as well as probably do terrible things to your butt?

I'm guessing it just does nothing though.

It's used medically for treating certain types of poisoning. IIRC, it can block other medications from being absorbed properly, and you can end up with black poop, vomiting, and/or diarrhea.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

jyrka posted:

Soaked in water.

So, when I take a bath, I am activated, yes? Neat

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

cash crab posted:

I always feel more awake after a shower. I guess now I know why.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

cash crab posted:

Only if you bathe in pH neutral sea water.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

"Artisan" honey. Guess what? All honey is made with the hands of tiny bees. Either it's all artisan or none of it is.

$29 loving dollars plus $8 s&h for less than 17oz.

https://food52.com/shop/products/39...NitbBoCD5Lw_wcB

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Carbon Thief posted:

It's used medically for treating certain types of poisoning. IIRC, it can block other medications from being absorbed properly, and you can end up with black poop, vomiting, and/or diarrhea.

I wonder how many hippies on meds aren't getting their doses because of using activated charcoal drinks. I did notice one said to be careful because it cant' discriminate between "toxins" and medicine. No mention of what it does to the nutrients you're careful diet is meant to provide.

Scathach posted:

"Artisan" honey. Guess what? All honey is made with the hands of tiny bees. Either it's all artisan or none of it is.

$29 loving dollars plus $8 s&h for less than 17oz.

https://food52.com/shop/products/39...NitbBoCD5Lw_wcB

Google artisan honey and read up on some stupid poo poo. Apparently artisan honey comes in varietal and mono-floral products, depending on whether the bees harvested from a single or blend of flowers. Now I'm no bee expert but they're not exactly controllable are they. How do these people know what flowers in the region they are selecting to collect pollen from. Outside of keeping a bee-hive in a green house with only selected plants can you really say exactly what flowers were used in the honey making process.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Generally yes. Apiarists sell honey as being a particular varietal, and then the manufacturer blends it to try and achieve a consistent colour and flavour (some varieties are much darker and/or stronger than others).

We used to make Yellow Box and Blue Gum varietals until the general honey shortage made it impossible. Now it all just goes into the Mixed Blossom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Yeah that much money for such a small amount of honey is just not cool. I can get a much larger jar of honey just as good (and with local flowers too!) without the stupid misleading hipster label from a farm down the street for $5-10.

• Locked thread