Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
This is Martin Riese.

He is a water sommelier. That's a real profession now. He is also the author of a book titled "The World of Water," which is basically the water version of one of those wine or beer tasting books. But most notably he oversees the beverage program at Ray's and Stark Bar in Los Angeles. And by "beverages," I mean water. The menu is 45 loving pages long and is all water, sorted by country. Each entry on the menu includes the number of total dissolved solids and how much salt, magnesium and calcium is contained within that particular bottle of water.

Let's see what he has to say about San Pellegrino, an Italian sparkling water that can be found in 24-packs in supermarkets the country over for less than what the restaurant sells for one bottle.

"S.Pellegrino flows naturally from a spring in Val Brembana, in the foothills of the Italian Alps in the territory of San Pellegrino Terme, near Bergamo (Lombardy). The water arrives at the surface naturally enriched with mineral salts. S.Pellegrino water has a lot of presence thanks to its lively and long-lasting bubbles, which feel creamy on the palate and a slightly salty taste, well-balanced with acidity to give an overall refreshing, thirst-quenching feel. Type: Sparkling; TDS: 1109 mg; Content: Sodium 36 mg, Magnesium 53 mg, Calcium 181 mg"

Fascinating. Oh, and that bottle of Berg (:burger:) in the picture? That'll be $20, thanks.

DARPA Dad fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Saw this eye rolling brand at the grocery store the other day. They had such amazing creations as frozen turkey burgers with chunks of cheese in them.

I like how it hits every lame rear end cliche in the book. Tattooed beard guy, "craft" meats, lame macho pandering...

Anyone who loves hating on this stuff will probably enjoy this blog post.

http://carles.buzz/the-contemporary-conformist/

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I saw bacon hummus at the supermarket the other day. It may well have been tasty, but just seemed wrong on several levels.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

DARPA Dad posted:

S.Pellegrino water has a lot of presence thanks to its lively and long-lasting bubbles, which feel creamy on the palate

I know it's bullshit and all, but come on now. Tone it down a bit.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It would be funny as poo poo to make that guy do a blind taste test of a bunch of water including random filtered tap water.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I'm tired of restaurants cracking a raw egg over all my non-egg-associated food. Everything from pizza to rice to ramen noodles, with a runny "farm fresh" egg oozing on top. It's very trendy, but I can't wait for it to stop.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

I hate food being served on weird things. Use a plate, dumbasses.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

NESguerilla posted:

It would be funny as poo poo to make that guy do a blind taste test of a bunch of water including random filtered tap water.

and one cup you peed in

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Scathach posted:

This is the stupidest thing I have ever seen.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

NESguerilla posted:

He probably forages in public bathrooms for locally sourced urban water and is considering digging an artesinal well in the car park so clients can sup directly.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
Yeah, I've noticed restaurants, and not even fancy hipster ones, like serving food on things that aren't plates.

At least the shovel looks usable since it has raised edges, eating off flat wood slabs is the worst.

LSD at the gangbang
Dec 27, 2009

Mason jars with handles. You're not even upcycling or whatever anymore, they're made to be used as drinking vessels.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Scathach posted:

What in the loving poo poo is this nonsense?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Probably some authentic outback bullshit about woodsman cooking and eating their food on tools. The food doesn't look bad but let me eat off a plate like a civilized person.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Breakfast served on a wooden board, just give me a plate like regular person please.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The farmer holding the handle waits for the perfect second to just throw that loving meal right into your face for being dumb enough to think eating from a shovel makes you cool.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wonder why they even bothered with the peas.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Turns out it's morons in Britain doing this poo poo. I'm not at all surprised.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
What the gently caress is even in the middle?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Internet Kraken posted:

What the gently caress is even in the middle?

I think it's a mousse of some sort.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I once got some tomatoes with my meal in a restaurant and they brought out two tins of tomatoes, put a piece of wood on top so it looked like a little bridge with tins for supports then put my tomatoes on the bridge bit of wood and cut them up.
I don't know why this happened but it did, then they had the motherfucking nerve to give me a funny look when I asked for ketchup, like that was the oddest tomato related thing about that scenario or something.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

peter gabriel posted:

I once got some tomatoes with my meal in a restaurant and they brought out two tins of tomatoes, put a piece of wood on top so it looked like a little bridge with tins for supports then put my tomatoes on the bridge bit of wood and cut them up.
I don't know why this happened but it did, then they had the motherfucking nerve to give me a funny look when I asked for ketchup, like that was the oddest tomato related thing about that scenario or something.

What the gently caress :cripes:

Shoe food is also a thing. A bad, bad thing.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Where the hell do you guys eat that does this crap?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Scathach posted:

What the gently caress :cripes:

Shoe food is also a thing. A bad, bad thing.

Shoes are for feet, not food, wtf

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Internet Kraken posted:

Mine was here:

https://www.jamieoliver.com/italian/restaurants/manchester/

The website asked if it could see my location, I said no and I feel pretty :smug: about that, gently caress you tomato bridge website, the last laugh is mine.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This is amazing and baffling. I haven't seen anything like this in the states. have you guys?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I haven't but New England isn't a great barometer for stupid trendy fads.

EDIT: The most offensive thing I can think of is a restaurant I went too that served fries in these tin cups instead of just putting them on your plate. That's nothing compared to this crap.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
The tomato bridge place also gave us chips in buckets

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Luckily I'm too poor to eat food from a shovel or a shoe. However, now that I live a half hour from Seattle, I'm sure I'll find lots of horrible hipster food.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Scathach posted:

Luckily I'm too poor to eat food from a shovel or a shoe. However, now that I live a half hour from Seattle, I'm sure I'll find lots of horrible hipster food.

Most of these look like bars or Chili's type places.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Scathach posted:

Eat out of bins, the way things are going that'll be all the rage in 5 years here.
Or a guy in a string vest punches your wife a throws month old leftovers at your face for an hour.
That's where it's heading, I'm telling you.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

We Want Plates

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

peter gabriel posted:

The tomato bridge place also gave us chips in buckets

It's an implicit indictment of consumer culture in bucket form.

And you thought you just wanted some chips. Idiot.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Anosmoman posted:

It's an implicit indictment of consumer culture in bucket form.

And you thought you just wanted some chips. Idiot.

Shame on me

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

NESguerilla posted:

This is amazing and baffling. I haven't seen anything like this in the states. have you guys?
There's a bunch of this stupid poo poo going on in some of the "trendy" restaurants in California. There's a place nearby that serves about a pillow sized worth of cotton candy on a big metal spike driven through some wood plank. They've got a faux-rusty bucket that various pickles are served in. And a whole bunch of other stupid nonsense. Sorry I don't have pictures because I'm not planning on eating there again.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
:bigtran: Hello sir how would you like your steak?

:3: Medium rare please

:bigtran: *Starts cement mixer*

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

How the gently caress can you be served food like this? This utterly unacceptable.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Internet Kraken posted:

How the gently caress can you be served food like this? This utterly unacceptable.

Nothing sets the mood for a nice relaxing meal out better than the sound of a hundred knives cutting food on slate tiles, it's like angels singing

SCRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Water sommelier seems like an important job. Find the Dasanis of the world and eliminate them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

peter gabriel posted:

Eat out of bins, the way things are going that'll be all the rage in 5 years here.
Or a guy in a string vest punches your wife a throws month old leftovers at your face for an hour.
That's where it's heading, I'm telling you.

The Northwest is freakier than I thought. And here I was worrying that the Mexican food wouldn't be up to par.

• Locked thread