Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Orv posted:

People usually just say Pillars because Path of Exile came first. :shrug:

Well then they should also say League for League of Legends because Lands of Lore came first. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Welp, I had to create a new category called Beyond Horrible. I'll start using it for extremely bad games I complete.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tunahead posted:

Well then they should also say League for League of Legends because Lands of Lore came first. :colbert:

Primacy of popularity.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I took the plunge and bought Bingo McFlingo's Runtime Funtime ((((my name for running with rifles))) and can highly recommend Bingo McFlingo's Runtime Funtime ((runing with rifles)) as it's just good simple Candle Fan ((((/my name for Cannon Fodder)/)) fun. I've not played a Barney Bang Bang ((battlefield but my cool new name for it it'll catch on!!!) game for a long time but it gives me some really good vibes despite the simple gameplay

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

I like Sundered a whole lot and recommend people maybe check out some gameplay before writing it off as "loving awful" and "Castlevania but all the enemies are respawning Medusa Heads".

Here's the Giant Bomb quick look: https://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-sundered/2300-12408/

I haven't watched the whole video, but it seems like an okay way to get an overview of the game mechanics. it's also not too heavy on spoilers but I recommed stopping when they get to the boss at least.

The "horde" mechanic is definitely a thing, but it's not like it's an endless stream of monsters being thrown at you the moment you step out of the Sanctuary.
Seems more like waves in Risk of Rain (though I haven't played a lot of RoR so I could be wrong) and there are plenty rooms where monsters just straight up won't spawn.

I think the combat is really fun (if a bit simple) and the atmosphere and world builing is really good. I think the death mechanics are solid, the upgrade tree is fun (speaking of Path of Exile :v: ) and the
procedural level generation is just fine.

I don't think it's a game for everyone and thats okay, you can always just refund it if it's not your thing. According to the devs on the steam forums the "horde" mechanic really kicks in after about an hour, which
should leave plenty of time to decide one way or the other.

Basically I'd just hate to see this game suffer the fate of Rain World which is also a really really good game that deserves much better than the incredibly weak response it got.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Xander77 posted:

B-but... you still get to climb caveman towers to light beacons or something, right? I can no longer imagine a proper FC experience without that very important and rewarding activity.

Anyone who actually played through FC:B - how the hell do I stealth outposts with hunters in them? There are always two of them covering each other, they spot me the moment I try to stealth or if I kill anyone (particularly the other hunter), they charm any animal I try to send in, and they fade from the radar and pop up behind me the moment I try to stealth-murder the places where they are not (I swear those fuckers have super hearing or something)

There are no towers. You find poo poo by exploring. If I remember right, most side stuff gets popped up when you capture the outpost.

There are bonfires, but those are more fast travel spots/places to survive the nights at. You get the weird pan around camera thing when you light them, but nothing is revealed nearby, you just can hide from the MANY SABERTOOTH TIGERS that are probably in the woods nearby.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Orv posted:

It's a 'joke'.

A very confusing one.
-
People need to stop making Primal sound like a good time. It's confusing me. I bet 5 will have us climbing to the top of barns where it will finally make sense to jump into a pile of hay,

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

XCom 1 is real good but if you have the scratch for Prey then you have the scratch for XCom 2, which is EVEN BETTER, and has an expansion coming out in a month!

I really enjoy the XCom series because it requires 0 dexterity, it's purely a tactics and planning (and RNGesus prayers/Accurate Swords mods)

Kai Tave posted:

I mean they're both good games but if you don't have a particular leaning in any given direction based on previous experiences with similar titles then it depends on whether you're in the mood for A). a turn based small unit tactics game with an emphasis on cover and flanking or B). an atmospheric horror FPS with an emphasis on exploration.

QuarkJets posted:

If it helps you decide: pretty good tactics game that kind of unfairly punishes new players or almost perfect survival horror FPS game where the survival horror part slowly falls away as you unlock skills
I'm going with X-Com. Thanks for the advice.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got
Does anyone know if 2game.com are legit? They currently have the best deal on The Sexy Brutale and it looks all right but I'd like a second or third opinion before buying so my vidya gamez money doesn't go to the russian mob or central american crime cartels.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone tried Foxhole? It looks really cool but I haven't seen anyone talk about it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Dodoman posted:

Has anyone tried Foxhole? It looks really cool but I haven't seen anyone talk about it.

Running with Rifles but with clunky logistics, base building and inventory management.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
The fact that it looks like RwR is what got me interested in the first place.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Dodoman posted:

Posted a bit about it the other day. It's far more interesting (and legible) than running with rifles ever was but you do need friends/being social and joining a guild. Plenty of sweet youtube videos old and new too, to see if the gameplay catches your attention.

Det_no posted:

Not only is RWR grindy for no reason but even when it's supposed to be good it never really works because the AI is loving terrible. It's particularly awful in a game like that because you are supposed to be a generic grunt yet you'll have to do all the heavy lifting to complete maps, gets really boring and samey a few hours in. Your best bet at fun is multiplayer but not only is there less than a hundred active players (a pretty entrenched and poo poo community at that) but the playerbase will split once the dev releases their ill-conceived, standalone WW2 version based on a mod.

Foxhole on the other hand is vastly more interesting but if you are going to get into that, it has to be a commitment. It has no bots at all and logistics are hard without a group so you either need some friends OR you join a guild to coordinate poo poo on a big scale. It's real confusing at first but when it clicks it works super well and it's awesome watching/playing coordinated advances the kind you normally only really see in RTS games.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Jamfrost posted:

A very confusing one.
It's the same game in a slightly different setting with basic quality of life improvements. It's quite possibly the most blatant Ubisoft ever was about recycling.

It came up several times on the first pages of the FC4 (happy?) thread, and stuck with me enough that I recalled it the moment I started playing.

Edit - No one is particularly confused when I refer to "rear end Creed".

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jul 29, 2017

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Xander77 posted:

It's the same game in a slightly different setting with basic quality of life improvements. It's quite possibly the most blatant Ubisoft ever was about recycling.

It came up several times on the first pages of the FC4 (happy?) thread, and stuck with me enough that I recalled it the moment I started playing.

Edit - No one is particularly confused when I refer to "rear end Creed".

Probably because a lot of people say rear end Creed, and because the logical leap in name alone is easy to make.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Jamfrost posted:

A very confusing one.
-
People need to stop making Primal sound like a good time. It's confusing me. I bet 5 will have us climbing to the top of barns where it will finally make sense to jump into a pile of hay,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A-YQrbn-JQ

Rumor has it Far Cry 5's petting tech is even more advanced

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Removed the DRM from the Neuromod schematic in Prey. Now I can be a cybergod.:kheldragar:

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Det_no posted:

Posted a bit about it the other day. It's far more interesting (and legible) than running with rifles ever was but you do need friends/being social and joining a guild. Plenty of sweet youtube videos old and new too, to see if the gameplay catches your attention.

How are the clans?

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Dodoman posted:

How are the clans?

I played with buds so don't really know for sure but all the big clans were known for taking the game seriously, kinda like ARMA clans (there's even a couple full roleplaying clans and poo poo.) The official discord had a clan recruiting channel last time I checked, I'm sure there's probably a few new ones.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

SelenicMartian posted:

Removed the DRM from the Neuromod schematic in Prey. Now I can be a cybergod.:kheldragar:
Oh, what's a Nightmare?

:stare:

poo poo.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
River City Ransom Underground is back. Just unceremoniously appeared in the store.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Scalding Coffee posted:

River City Ransom Underground is back. Just unceremoniously appeared in the store.

I wonder if they already changed the soundtrack or at least some of the songs.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

SelenicMartian posted:

To be honest when I found that schematic, I never had a DRM despite some sites saying I would? :confuoot:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Morter posted:

To be honest when I found that schematic, I never had a DRM despite some sites saying I would? :confuoot:
It hits after a bunch of production runs.
You might have found the DRM unlock computer before it hit you.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got
Crossposting from the XCOM thread.

Or is it Sputnik posted:

Also, MAJOR caveat emptor - I bought The Sexy Brutale, The Bureau and XCOM2:War of the Chosen and didn't recieve any of the keys once the deal was finalized. After I got on customer support with Chris who pretended to be Charlotte, they managed to get my Sexy Brutale key, but no Bureau yet. This is your warning about 2game.com.

A lot about 2game seems fishy - it took like an hour of support to retrieve my one key. Avoid, at least till I know if I get all of my keys.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

wielder posted:

I wonder if they already changed the soundtrack or at least some of the songs.
Sounds like they won't until later, so you might want to get the game now for its music.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

It's not like you'll get to keep it right? Or do you mean copy it out before it updates?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

SelenicMartian posted:

It hits after a bunch of production runs.
You might have found the DRM unlock computer before it hit you.

I did make a lot of shotgun shells :getin:

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Flimf posted:

I like Sundered a whole lot and recommend people maybe check out some gameplay before writing it off as "loving awful" and "Castlevania but all the enemies are respawning Medusa Heads".

Here's the Giant Bomb quick look: https://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-sundered/2300-12408/

I haven't watched the whole video, but it seems like an okay way to get an overview of the game mechanics. it's also not too heavy on spoilers but I recommed stopping when they get to the boss at least.

The "horde" mechanic is definitely a thing, but it's not like it's an endless stream of monsters being thrown at you the moment you step out of the Sanctuary.
Seems more like waves in Risk of Rain (though I haven't played a lot of RoR so I could be wrong) and there are plenty rooms where monsters just straight up won't spawn.

I think the combat is really fun (if a bit simple) and the atmosphere and world builing is really good. I think the death mechanics are solid, the upgrade tree is fun (speaking of Path of Exile :v: ) and the
procedural level generation is just fine.

I don't think it's a game for everyone and thats okay, you can always just refund it if it's not your thing. According to the devs on the steam forums the "horde" mechanic really kicks in after about an hour, which
should leave plenty of time to decide one way or the other.

Basically I'd just hate to see this game suffer the fate of Rain World which is also a really really good game that deserves much better than the incredibly weak response it got.

Thats nice to hear, looks like a cool game to pick up in a sale. If you are expecting some world class Metroidvania this is not it which is fine I suppose when there are games like Hollow Knight.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

odiv posted:

It's not like you'll get to keep it right? Or do you mean copy it out before it updates?
You should always copy the soundtrack if you own the game. It is your second chance at getting it off Steam before some new bad thing happens.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

SelenicMartian posted:

Oh, what's a Nightmare?

:stare:

poo poo.

A pussy is what he is. Blow him up with your fancy new brain powers.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Or is it Sputnik posted:

Crossposting from the XCOM thread.

A lot about 2game seems fishy - it took like an hour of support to retrieve my one key. Avoid, at least till I know if I get all of my keys.
If you ever used Nuuvem, you can get the game there. It's one of the few I could still find that did have region locking enabled on the game and you can get it for $11 if you VPN in.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Agnostalgia posted:

A pussy is what he is. Blow him up with your fancy new brain powers.

Yeah eventually on the normal difficulty in Prey I was basically an invincible, invisible shotgun God and it felt great.

As for the Nightmare, he always shows up in the Arboretum but the more alien mods you inject the higher chance he has of randomly spawning elsewhere too and that's a pretty tense and cool thing.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Yodzilla posted:

As for the Nightmare, he always shows up in the Arboretum but the more alien mods you inject the higher chance he has of randomly spawning elsewhere too and that's a pretty tense and cool thing.
He's very easy to deal with though. You just have so many tools at your disposal.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
This thing about RWR being grindy is fixed by hosting a server and setting the options so you're already half-way through the ranks so a bunch of AI will follow you. :shrug:
Maybe set it so you have a bunch of points too if you want to play with extra toys.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
I just finished Sniper Elite 4 after getting it during the sale and it was a thoroughly enjoyable 30 hours. I got the Hitler DLC too and that is always satisfying. I only played on Marksman difficulty (equivalent of normal, the default difficulty) and am moving on to some new stuff but I am really looking forward to trying sniper elite/authentic difficulty at some point, probably not until I buy a new pc early next year. I love going slow and methodical through games and tend toward a sniper/assassin class when given a choice (in something like Skyrim/FNV), so this was extremely my poo poo. Very satisfying and I'm sure it's even more so on authentic difficulty.

Moving on to Total War: Shogun 2 tonight and all day tomorrow. Anyone have any tips?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Det_no posted:

You can change the exp. gain as well as overall difficulty in RWR. You can pump that poo poo so high you have a decent-sized squad in like 5 minutes.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Scott Forstall posted:

Moving on to Total War: Shogun 2 tonight and all day tomorrow. Anyone have any tips?

Play as the Shimazu or the Chosokabe. You won't have time to research every last tech, so prioritise. You can theoretically make armies of pure samurai, but it's a poor use of money, better to mix them with ashigaru. Don't use one general for everything unless he's you, or your son, or else his loyalty stat will eventually plummet. Avoid fighting naval battles manually, they're terrible. Finally, once you hit a certain amount of territory (or take Kyoto), you will receive a huge diplo penalty that will quickly cause every faction in the game to attack you, including your vassals, so don't make vassals you're not willing to fight later. Any vassals you make AFTER taking Kyoto are fine.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Scott Forstall posted:

Very satisfying and I'm sure it's even more so on authentic difficulty.
Bwahaha-
Er. Hope you're looking forward to not being able to hit the broad side of a Nazi barn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

A barn is actually 10^-28 m^2 which is really small, like the size of a nucleus, so it's pretty hard to hit a barn assuming it's some distance away

e: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barn_(unit)

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 30, 2017